Once Were Lovers - Chapter 2

Once Were Lovers

In the middle of the night, Sunggyu was awoken by the sound of his bedroom door opening.  Startled, he opened his eyes and peered into the darkness.  From the small amount of moonlight leaking into the room, he saw the figure approaching his bed.  Recognising the face, he sat up and switched on the bedside light.

"Woohyun, what's wrong?" he asked with concern upon seeing the frightened face of the younger man.

"S-scared," Woohyun replied, wrapping his arms around himself.  "The bad man is..."

Sunggyu immediately got out of bed and embraced Woohyun, realising that the younger man must have had a nightmare.  "It's okay," he reassured him.  "I'm here.  I'll protect you.  I won't let the bad man hurt you.  There's no need to be scared, okay?"

Woohyun raised his head to look at Sunggyu.  He contemplated Sunggyu's words for a moment before nodding his head.  "Can...can I sleep with you?" he asked pleadingly.  "Don't want to sleep alone."

Sunggyu nodded with a smile.  "Of course."


In the early hours of the morning, Sunggyu was awoken by someone tugging at his sleeve.  He opened his eyes and turned hs head to the side to find Mori standing beside his bed with an eager smile on his face.

"Uncle Sunggyu, wake up!" exclaimed the child with excitement.

"Mori, you're up early," said Sunggyu.

The child attempted to drag Sunggyu out of bed.  "You said you would take us to the park today."

It was then Sunggyu remembered the words he had spoken when tucking the child into bed last night.  "Ah, I did, didn't I?" said Sunggyu.  "Why don't you go brush your teeth and wash your face?  We'll go after I make us some breakfast."

"Okay!" Mori replied as he rushed to the bathroom.

Sunggyu turned to the still sleeping figure beside him.  He gently caressed Woohyun's sleeping face but quickly retracted his hand when the younger man stirred.

Woohyun's eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning," Sunggyu greeted him with a smile.  "After breakfast, do you want to go to the park?"

Woohyun contemplated a moment as he looked at the older man.  "And then can we have ice cream?"

Sunggyu nodded.  "Of course."


Upon arriving at the park, both Woohyun and Mori ran over to the set of swings with Sunggyu following behind.

"Uncle Sunggyu, can you push me?" Mori asked as he sat on one of the swings.

"Me too," said Woohyun as he sat on the swing beside Mori.

Sunggyu pushed Mori's swing before stepping over behind Woohyun and pushing his swing.  He alternated between the two.  Hearing their laughter brought a smile upon Sunggyu's face.

"Higher!" Mori shouted excitedly.

Sunggyu gave the swing a mighty push but the pain in his abdomen caused him to grimace.  Not wanting to worry the pair, he gritted his teeth and suffered in silence.  The two boys laughed happily while Sunggyu pushed them on the swings, seemingly oblivious to his pain.

After a while, Sunggyu noticed that Woohyun's laughter had subsided and he seemed to be clutching at his head.  Sunggyu immediately stopped pushing his swing and went to check on him.

"Woohyun, are you alright?" Sunggyu asked as he helped him to the nearest bench.

Woohyun scrunched up his face while holding his head.  "Hurts."

Sunggyu panicked.  "Let's go to the hospital."

Woohyun flinched upon hearing the word hospital.  "No, I don't want to," he cried, refusing to move.

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun's pleading eyes.  "Does it still hurt?"

Woohyun slowly shook his head.  "It's gone now."

Sunggyu breathed a sigh of relief.  Though he knew Woohyun's headache would be brief, it still worried him the same.  "You have to tell me if it hurts a lot, okay?"

Woohyun nodded.  "Can I still have ice cream?"

"I want ice cream too!" Mori exclaimed with excitement.

"Alright," said Sunggyu as he glanced down the street and caught sight of the ice cream shop.  He turned back to face the child.  "Mori, be a good boy and stay here with Uncle Woohyun.  Look after him for me, okay?"

Mori nodded with a bright smile on his face and climbed on the bench to sit beside Woohyun.

Sunggyu patted the child on the head.  "I'll be back soon."


The two boys sat waiting patiently on the bench when they saw a small puppy running towards them.  They crouched onto the ground beside the puppy and gently patted it until they saw that it was bleeding from cuts on it's body.  Before they could wonder what had happened, they saw a group of youths approaching them.

"That's ours," one of the youths spoke as he flicked a silver object in his hand.  "Give it back."

Woohyun immediately picked up the puppy and held it in his arms when he saw the pocket knife dripping with blood.