Once Were Lovers - Chapter 12

Once Were Lovers

After loading the car with their belongings, Sunggyu turned to face Sungjong who stood at the door.  "Thanks for doing this," he said.

Sungjong smiled.  "It's my job.  You guys have fun."

After buckling Mori up in the back seat, Sunggyu opened the front passenger door and ushered Woohyun inside.  Woohyun happily obliged with the puppy in his arms.

Sungjong stood and watched as the car took off and disappeared into the distance.  As he was about to turn and walk back into the house, another car pulled up beside him.  He was on guard until he saw driver step out of the car.

"I went to the hospital this morning and they told me that Sunggyu returned home last night," said Sungyeol.

"That's right," said Sungjong.  "But you've just missed him."

Sungyeol frowned.  "What?  Where'd he go?"

"He's taken Woohyun and Mori on a trip," Sungjong replied, noticing the concerned look on Sungyeol's face.  "Do you need him for something urgent?"

"There's something he needs to know."


They hadn't driven far when Sunggyu's phone rang.  He ignored the phone and continued to drive, not wanting to let anything ruin their trip.  The phone continued to ring.

Woohyun glanced at the older man with a questioning look upon his face.  "Your phone is ringing," he stated before his face beamed with a smile.  "I will answer for you."  He picked up the phone before Sunggyu could stop him.  "Hello?"

"Sung-" there was a slight pause before the voice continued.  "I need to talk to Sunggyu."

Woohyun glanced at Sunggyu.  "Sunggyu's busy driving," he replied.

"Who is it?" Sunggyu asked.

"Who is it?" Woohyun repeated when he heard Sunggyu ask.

"It's Sungyeol," replied the voice.

Woohyun smiled and looked at Sunggyu.  "It's Sungyeol."

"Woohyun, I really need to talk to Sunggyu," Sungyeol explained as calmly as he could.  "Can you please give the phone to him?  It's important."

Woohyun nodded in response, without realising that Sungyeol could not see him.  He handed the phone to Sunggyu.  "It's important," he said before continuing to play with the puppy in his arms.

Sunggyu let out a sigh as he put the phone to his ear.  "What is it?"

"Do you have time to be going on a field trip?" Sungyeol asked, almost scoldingly.

Sunggyu frowned. "What-"

"The men who took Woohyun were members of the Sanho clan," Sungyeol informed.  "The Sanho clan which you brought down a year ago.  It looks like they're back and they're targeting you for revenge."

There was silence from Sunggyu.

"I know what happened to Woohyun," Sungyeol added.

"I won't let anything happen to him again," Sunggyu declared, glancing at Woohyun.  "This time, I'll protect him."

"Sunggyu..."

"I haven't had a chance to thank you," said Sunggyu, cutting him off and changing the subject.  "For saving Woohyun."

Sungyeol let out a sigh.  "You don't have to thank me.  I didn't do anything."

"You brought him back, didn't you?" asked Sunggyu.

"Yes, I brought him back," Sungyeol admitted.  "But no, I didn't save him.  By the time I got there, the four men were dead and Woohyun was unconscious.  Perhaps you have more friends than you think you do."

"The only friends I have, I can count on one hand."