Once Were Lovers - Chapter 7

Once Were Lovers

Sunggyu awoke early next morning to find himself staring at an unfamiliar ceiling.  He wondered where he was and tried to sit up, only to discover that both his hands were being held by someone.  He looked and saw Woohyun and Mori sitting on either sides of his bed and holding onto his hands.  When he realised that they were sleeping he remained still, not wanting to wake them up.

He glanced to the back of the room and noticed Sungyeol sitting in a seat with head titled to one side.  He realised that Sungyeol too, was sleeping.  He wondered how the situation came to be like this.  Why was his partner here with Woohyun and Mori?

At the moment, Sungyeol's head slipped off the chair and he jolted awake.  He glanced at the bed and saw Sunggyu looking at him.  Sungyeol could not tell if the older man was happy to see him or not.  Sunggyu's expression was always unreadable to him.

Sungyeol flashed Sunggyu a smile as he approached his bed.  "Good to see you're okay," he said softly, realising that the Woohyun and Mori were still sleeping.

"You brought me here?" Sunggyu asked.

"The kid rang me and said you were dying," Sungyeol explained.  "Scared the crap out of me."

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment.  "Thank you."

"No need to thank me," Sungyeol said with a smile.  "We're partners, right?  Besides, you would do the same for me, wouldn't you?"

Sunggyu looked at him but did not respond.

Their conversation was interrupted when Woohyun and Mori awoke.  They were ecstatic to see that Sunggyu was awake and leapt forward to hug him.

"Sunggyu's not going to die anymore, right?" Woohyun asked while clinging to the older man.

Sunggyu managed a brief smile.  "That's right," he replied.  "I promised you, didn't I?  That I wouldn't die."

"Can we go home now?" Woohyun asked.

"Of course," Sunggyu replied.

"Uh-uh," Sungyeol interjected.  "You need to stay rested for a few days or your wound will reopen...again.  Doctor's orders."

"I'm fine," Sunggyu protested and climbed out of bed.  He had no intention of listening to Sungyeol's words.

Just then, the door opened and Hoya entered with two nurses by his side.  He frowned when he saw Sunggyu already out of bed.

"Where do you think you're going?" Hoya questioned.  "Get him back in bed."

The nurses approached Sunggyu and helped him back in bed.  Sunggyu resisted, insisting that he was fine.

"Don't make me sedate you," Hoya warned.

Sunggyu had no choice but to obey and got back into bed.  "Woohyun and Mori have been here long enough.  I need to take them home."

"Sungyeol will take care of them," Hoya announced much to Sungyeol's surprise.

"I will?" he asked with raised eyebrows to which Hoya gave him a threatening look.  "Oh, they're in good hands."

Both Woohyun and Mori pouted, refusing to leave Sunggyu.  "No, want to stay with Sunggyu!" they protested stubbornly.

"Be good, okay?" said Sunggyu, trying to coax them into going.  "Sungyeol will take you home.  He's a good person so listen to him.  I'll get Sungjong to come and play with you, okay?"

Woohyun and Mori glanced at Sungyeol who flashed them a smile.