Once Were Lovers - Chapter 16

Once Were Lovers

Despite the gun pointing at him, Myungsoo remained extremely calm.  Woohyun, on the other hand, looked terrified when he saw Sunggyu pointing the gun at Myungsoo.

"Myungsoo's my friend," said Woohyun, almost pleadingly.

Sunggyu kept his eyes locked on Myungsoo.  "He's not your friend, Woohyun.  He's the leader of the Sanho clan, a dangerous man."

Myungsoo seemed amused by Sunggyu's words.  "Do you always carry a gun even when you're off duty?" Myungsoo mocked.  "Surprised to see me alive?"

Sunggyu glared at him.  "Why aren't you dead?"

The smiled faded from Myungsoo's lips as he glared back at the man pointing the gun at him.  "How can I die when you're still alive?"  He placed a hand over his chest.  He could feel the scar beneath the thin layer of clothing.  A scar so close to his heart that he almost did not make it.  He was determined not to give up so easily so he dragged himself from the depths of hell to take his revenge.

Sunggyu glared at him with a burning hatred in his eyes.  "It's all your fault!" he declared.  "It's your fault that he's like this!"

Myungsoo frowned.  "Is it now?" he retorted.

"Die!" said Sunggyu coldly.

Without warning, Sunggyu pulled the trigger, much to Woohyun's shock.  Myungsoo, on the other hand, stood still when the shot rang out.  In the blink of an eye, a masked figure appeared out of the shadows and rushed in front of Myungsoo.  With a flash of steel, the bullet was deflected to the side, embedding itself into the trunk of a large tree.

Sunggyu was caught by surprise by the appearance of the masked figure standing guard with the sword in his hand.  He should have known that there was no way the leader of the Sanho clan would act alone.  Judging by how calm Myungsoo was, Sunggyu figured that the masked figure must be someone highly skilled.

"It seems you've come prepared," said Sunggyu.  "Did you plan all this?"

Myungsoo glanced at Woohyun.  "I didn't plan to involve him."

Sunggyu followed Myungsoo's eyes and glanced at Woohyun before casting his eyes back on Myungsoo with a glare. "It's too late for that!"

Sunggyu fired another shot at Myungsoo but the masked figure was quick to react.  With a swift swing of his sword, he was able to deflect the bullet yet again.  Sunggyu fired again and again and only stopped when he noticed Woohyun crouching on the ground with his eyes closed and hands covering his ears. 

"Please stop," Woohyun mumbled, almost in tears.  "Please stop."

Seeing the agony on Woohyun's face, Sunggyu immediately held fire and rushed to check on him.  The minute he did so, the masked figure launched at him with with his blade.  Sensing danger from behind, Sunggyu glanced back as the masked figure's blade aimed for his heart.

With his quick reflex, Sunggyu grabbed the blade with his bare hands just as it was inches from piercing through his chest.  The masked figure gathered his strength and forced the blade forward.  Sunggyu felt the blade slip from his hand as it inched closer. 

Remembering the gun in his other hand, Sunggyu fired another shot at point blank range.  The masked figure pulled back his sword but not before the bullet grazed his shoulder.  He was about to attack again but Myungsoo stopped him when he saw how much Woohyun was suffering.

Sunggyu rushed to Woohyun's side and embraced him.  "It's alright," said Sunggyu, trying to comfort him.  "I'm here.  I'll protect you.  I'm not going to let anyone hurt you."

Myungsoo laughed at Sunggyu's words.  "That's funny, coming from you."

Sunggyu glared at him.

Myungsoo smirked.  "No matter how cruel I may be, I would never shoot the one I love just to silence him."