Once Were Lovers - Chapter 10

Once Were Lovers

Hoya stepped into Sunggyu's hospital room and smiled with satisfaction when he saw Sunggyu in bed as he should be.  "I love it when you're an obedient patient," Hoya remarked.  "Keep this good behaviour up and you might be able to go home soon."

Before Sunggyu had a chance to respond, his phone rang.  He glanced at the name and answered the call.  "Sungjong, what's wrong?"

Hoya noticed the shocked expression on Sunggyu's face as he listened to the phone call.  Next thing he knew, Sunggyu was already climbing out of bed, looking like he was in a hurry to leave.  If Hoya had not stopped him, he might have made it to the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Hoya asked, blocking his path.

"Woohyun's been kidnapped, I have to go save him," Sunggyu insisted.

"Kidnapped?" thought Hoya with concern.  "Then we need to notify the police."

Sunggyu frowned at him.  "I am the police." 

"You won't be able to save anyone in your condition," Hoya said sternly.


Woohyun was rendered unconscious in the back seat of the car as it sped through the night.  They took their masks off and smiled at each other for a job well done.  They were expecting the task to be much more difficult yet they were easily able to succeed with little effort.

One of the men took out his phone and dialled a number.  "Mission accomplished."

The sound of an engine roaring louder as it approached closer caught their attention.  The driver glanced into his rear view mirror and saw a masked rider speeding towards them.  He sped up and the rider followed suit.  He hastily turned a corner, hoping to lose the rider but the rider drifted around the corner, leaning dangerously close to the ground.

The pursuit continued.  While controlling the bike with one hand, the rider drew out a gun an aimed it at the tyres of the car.  Bang.  The first shot hit one of the rear tyres, causing the car to swerve for a bit before it continued speeding ahead.  The rider aimed again.  Bang.  The second shot hit the other rear tyre.  The car struggled to maintain it's speed as it skidded out of control before it came to a screeching stop, narrowly missing the otherwise fatal collision with a tree on the side of the road.

The rider rushed over to the car and aimed his gun, ready to fire.  Moments later, the back passenger door opened and someone stepped out.  He was about to shoot but held fire when he saw one of the men holding the unconscious Woohyun as a shield.  He contemplated a moment before putting his gun away.

Seeing this, three of the men drew out their swords and charged at him.  The rider drew out the sword strapped to his back just in time to block their attacks.  He was quick to counter attack, striking his sword at the men.  Despite being outnumbered three to one, the rider proved to be more trouble than they had wanted.

One by one, the rider struck down his opponents before turning to the last man who held Woohyun hostage.  The man placed his sword at Woohyun's neck as if daring the rider to attack.

Seeing the blade cutting into Woohyun's neck, the rider slowly lowered his sword and tossed it aside.  The man smiled, realising that as long as he had Woohyun, he had the upper hand.

"Throw your gun over here as well," ordered the man.

The rider reluctantly pulled out his gun and tossed it in front of the man.  The moment the man bent down to pick it up, the rider rolled over towards the man and plunged with the small knife which he had pulled out from behind, into the man's leg.  The man let out a scream of pain as he released Woohyun from his hold.  Woohyun collapsed to the ground.  Seeing that the man was open, the rider grabbed the sword from his hand and plunged it into his chest.


Sungjong's eyes lit up with surprise when Sungyeol walked in the door, carrying the unconscious Woohyun in his arms.