Once Were Lovers - Chapter 8

Once Were Lovers

It was awfully quiet in the car.  Sungyeol had contemplated on playing his cd but decided against it when he remembered what type of music was playing.  It was inappropriate for kids.  Wondering if his two passengers were asleep, Sungyeol glanced into the rear view mirror and found Woohyun and Mori staring outside the window.  After much persuasion from Sunggyu, they had finally agreed to leave, albeit reluctantly.

Sungyeol cast his eyes back on the road ahead where he caught sight of something which made him smile.

"Hey, you guys hungry?" he asked, catching their attention.  "I'm hungry.  Wanna go eat some burgers?"

There was a brief silence before he heard one of them say, "Is there ice cream?"


Woohyun and Mori sat at waiting at one of the booths by the window while Sungyeol went to place their order.  A short moment later, he returned with a tray full of food.  Woohyun and Mori smiled with delight when Sungyeol placed the two ice creams in front of them.

"There you go," said Sungyeol.  "But you have to eat your burgers and fries as well, okay?"

The two boys nodded and began eating their food. 

Sungyeol watched as Mori took a bite of his burger and half the contents fell out from the bottom.  Kids, he thought.  Then he glanced over at Woohyun and saw that the young man was just as a messy eater as Mori.

Sungyeol did not think much of it until he noticed that eyes of the other customers looking their way.  More specifically, they were looking at Woohyun.  He was going to ignore them until he heard one of them speak.

"There must be something wrong with him," one of the girls whispered to her friend.

"Such a good looking guy," said her friend.  "It's a pity he's retarded."

Sungyeol glared at them.  "Mind your own business," he said, loud enough for them to hear.

The two girls quickly turned away, realising that Sungyeol had heard them.

Sungyeol wondered if Sunggyu had to put up with such behaviour from these type of people.  He turned back and saw that Woohyun and Mori were still eating, oblivious to what was going on around them.

It seemed that the boys were eager to start their ice cream as they hurriedly finished their burgers and fries while leaving a mess on their table.

"Gees guys, there's no need to stuff your faces so quickly," Sungyeol sighed.  "You're going to choke and then Sunggyu's going to be angry with me."

"But the ice cream will melt," said Mori.

Sungyeol looked at the child's face and saw the sauce smeared around his mouth.  He picked up a napkin and reached over to wipe it off for him.  "There, we go," said Sungyeol.  "All clean now."

Mori smiled and began eating his ice cream.

Sungyeol then glanced over at Woohyun and sighed.  "Let's clean your face too, Woohyun, " he said as he picked up another napkin and reached over to wipe Woohyun's face.

Woohyun sat still like an obedient child, allowing Sungyeol to wipe his face.

"All done," said Sungyeol.

Woohyun smiled.  "Ice cream," he exclaimed with excitement and began eating it.

"Are you uncle Sunggyu's friend?" Mori asked in the midst of eating.

"I guess so," Sungyeol replied, hesitantly.  "I'm his partner.  We catch criminals together."

Mori smiled.  "Uncle Woohyun used to catch criminals too," he announced proudly much to Sungyeol's surprise.