Tired

Paint

 

 

 

26th February 2017

 

“I know baby, I know. I’m so sorry but there’s nothing that I can do.” Apologises Baekhyun.

 

He hated having to do this. He had been called into work due to an emergency and he just couldn’t refuse. Though it couldn’t come with worse timing. Both Baekhyun and Jongdae had been run ragged. The reason.

 

Teething.

 

7 days. 7 days of continuous crying and tantrums. 7 days of much needed sleep interrupted. And there wasn’t a lot that they could do about it. Teething rings and gel only went so far. One child teething was a pain, but having two was just a nightmare and with Jongdae getting closer and closer to his due date everyday tasks were becoming a challenge. Not to mention that he got tired a lot easier.

 

“Yeah, I know. Duty calls.” Says Jongdae, trying his hardest to keep the disappointment and exhaustion out of his voice. He didn’t want him to go but he knew that he needed to. It was one of the downsides that came when you marry a detective.

 

“I’m sorry. I really am.” Apologises Baekhyun again. It pained him to have to leave.

 

“No, it’s okay. I understand. But you should probably go, I don’t want you to be late.” Says Jongdae.

 

“Yeah, just…” starts Baekhyun. “…just call me if anything happens. Okay?”

 

“I will.” Says Jongdae.

 

Baekhyun tenderly kisses Jongdae and wraps him up in his arms before grabbing his keys and making his way out the door, though not before saying a final ‘I love you’.

 

Now with Baekhyun gone Jongdae’s façade dropped. The exhaustion that he felt becoming known on his face as he waddled over to the couch and dropped onto it, basking in the momentary silence that was sure to be broken soon by the cries of his sons.

 

They had developed a pattern. They would cry themselves to exhaustion then fall asleep. Though they wouldn’t stay that way for long. Under an hour later they would awake and it would all start again. Occasionally they would have periods where they were happy and content to just play with each other but soon enough the crying would start again and Jongdae would be at a loss for what to do.

 

The teething rings didn’t seem to help them in any way and the gel didn’t last long. The twins would salivate so much that it would just come pouring out of their mouth. He had even tried freezing the rings and giving it to them but they just weren’t interested. It frustrated Jongdae, even though he knew that this was a part of them growing up. He just didn’t think that it would be this draining. This bad.

 

On top of that they were extremely clingy. Always wanting to be held by either Baekhyun or Jongdae. They would snuggle into their warmth and alternate from shoving their hands in their mouth or crying their eyes out and pulling their ears.

 

Jongdae just sighed. Doing anything else would require too much energy. He just wanted to sit back and relax for as long as possible.

 

“Wahhh!”

 

And it looked like his time was up.

 

The first cry was soon joined by another. Great. Now both of them were awake. Their cries always woke the other up. It was probably Minseok that woke Luhan up. Luhan usually always slept longer then his brother.

 

Groaning, Jongdae works his way onto his feet and up into the boys room. Coming in, he sees both of the boys sitting up in their cribs. When they see him they hold out their arms and start making grabbing motions, indicating that they wanted to be picked up. Jongdae goes for Minseok first. Minseok immediately buries his head into Jongdae’s shoulder. When both boys are in his arms, he adjusts them before making his way back downstairs.

 

With the boys still firmly in his hold he slowly inches his way back into the couch. They house is filled with silence again, the only sound that Jongdae can hear is the steady breathing of the twins. By the looks of it they had fallen back to sleep. Tired, Jongdae can feel himself beginning to doze off, only to be startled awake when Luhan starts fussing and begins to cry again.

 

“Shh, shh.” Comforts Jongdae. But all Luhan does is cry harder and is soon joined by his brother.

 

“I don’t know what to do.” Despairs Jongdae. Nothing he has done has worked. He knows that they cry because that’s the only way that they know how to communicate their pain and discomfort but it was driving him insane. He didn’t know how much he could take.

 

“Please just- I don’t know what to do. What should I do?” Pleads Jongdae, though they were only met by silence.

 

Minseok and Luhan had just started to cry harder, yet the sound was amplified in Jongdae’s ears. It was becoming too much. He was tired and fed up. He couldn’t do it anymore. Everything from the last week had finally caught up to him and the tears started falling. Soon the silent tears turned into full blown sobs, his body heaving and breaths becoming short. It seemed that the baby had sensed his distress and began moving around in his belly.

 

He doesn’t even remember putting the boys in their playpen or walking to the phone and dialling it. All he remembers is pressing call and a voice answering coming from the receiver.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Mama…” Jongdae says tearfully.

 

Jongdae, what’s wrong? Are you crying?” She says worried. It’s not often that Jongdae cries.

 

“Mama I can’t- Wǒ bùnéng zài zhèyàng xiàqùle. Wǒ xūyào bāngzhù.” (I can’t do it anymore. I need help.) Says Jongdae unknowingly slipping into Mandarin which usually happened when he was either upset or angry.

 

 

“Jīndàzhōng de xīnshàngrén. Qǐng lěngjìng xiàlái. Gàosù wǒ, shénme shì cuò de. Yǒu shé me kěyǐ bùshì nǐ zuòle ma?” (Dae sweetheart. Please clam down and tell me what’s wrong. What can’t you do anymore?) She coaches, trying to get him to calm down. He was making her worried but she had to be calm for him.

 

“Wǒ tài lèile, tāmen bù huì tíngzhǐ kūqì. Wǒ suǒ zuò de yīqiè, dàn méiyǒu zòuxiào. Wǒ zhǐshì bù zhīdào gāi zěnme bàn.” (I'm so tired and they won't stop crying. I've done everything but nothing has worked. I just don't know what to do.) Says Jongdae, calmer then before yet his voice was still thick with tears. “Please…”


 

“Hǎo de. Wǒ huì zài nàlǐ shíwǔ fēnzhōng. Jiānchí xiàqù, wǒ de àirén.” (Okay. I'll be there in fifteen minutes. Just hold on for me sweetheart.) She says before hanging up.

 

All Jongdae can do it wait for her to arrive and it takes all of his strength to stay awake. Soon enough a knock comes from the door and he get up to open it and relief encompasses his body even before he sees his mother.

 

When he opens the door his mother is greeted by a sight that breaks her heart. She can see tracks from dried tears on his cheeks. His eyes are red and puffy and his hair is a complete mess from constantly grapping and running his hands through it.

 

“Oh baby…” She mutters before pulling Jongdae into a bone crushing hug. One that Jongdae reciprocates by squeezing his mother just as hard.

 

Their moment is broken when the twins begin to cry again and Jongdae pulls away, gesturing for his mother to come inside. Once inside he brings her into the lounge room where the twins are sitting in their play pen.

 

“They’re teething.” Says Jongdae, answering his mothers’ question before she can even ask. “Both of them. They’ve been like this for a week and nothing that we’ve tried has done anything.” His voice is lined with frustration.

 

“That’s unlucky.” Sympathises his mother. “Though when you were teething it wasn’t this bad.” She takes a look around and notices that someone is missing. “Where’s Baekhyun?”

 

Jongdae sighs. “He got called into work. There was an emergency and they needed him to come in.” He ends his explanation with a massive yawn.

 

“Why don’t you go have a rest? I’ll take care of everything over here.” She suggests.

 

“What. No. I can still help!” Argues Jongdae.

 

“Don’t even think about arguing young man. I’m still your mother and you’re dead on your feet.” She points out. “Now you move that upstairs and into bed. I’ll take care of everything.” She says sternly, giving him no time to argue.

 

Giving in, Jongdae sighs. “Okay. But if anything happens wake me up.”

 

“Yes, yes. Now off you go.” She dismisses him, making shooing motions towards the stairs.

 

When Jongdae is out of sight she turns her attention towards the twins. Smiling, she kneels down and picks them up.

 

“Hello babies, nǎinai zài zhèlǐ.” (Grandma’s here.)

 

~X~

 

It isn’t until 1am in the morning until Baekhyun arrives home exhausted. He’s so tired that he doesn’t even notice the other car parked in the driveway.

 

Opening the front door, he is blessed by a thankfully quiet house. No sounds of crying to be heard anywhere. He can see light coming from the lounge room. ‘Jongdae’s probably still’ awake he thinks.

 

However when he enters the room his is met by none other than his mother-in-law.

 

“Liyin!” He says surprised. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Oh Boxian, you’re home.” She greets him, using the name that Jongdae had given him when they had first started dating. “Jongdae called me. He said he needed help.”

 

“Why didn’t he call me?” wonders Baekhyun.

 

“Probably because he felt that you were too busy.” Offers Liyin.

 

“But I would’ve answered and would’ve come home. I’m never too busy for him. I would’ve some home if he asked me to”

 

“You know that and I know that but you know how Jongdae is.” She answers.

 

“Yeah…”

 

A little noise draws his attention to the corner of the room. There he sees his boys sound asleep in their bassinets.

 

“How long have they been asleep for?”

 

“About 3 hours.”

 

“Really?!” Says Baekhyun surprised. That’s the longest they’ve been asleep for all week. “You’re a miracle worker.” He praises.

 

“You could call me that.” Liyin sasses, a proud smile on her face. “Now you get yourself to bed. I can tell you’re tired.”

 

“But-“

 

“Nah ah.” She cuts off. “Bed. Now.”

 

Baekhyun has no choice but to give in. It’s not like he could even disobey her anyway. It was like she had a gift. She could get you to do anything. It was scary sometimes. 

 

“And don’t worry. It’s nearly over. The first ones are always the most painful.” She adds. “I’ll be here when you wake up so sleep for as long as you want.”

 

“Thank you so much Liyin. We really appreciate it.” Thanks Baekhyun.

 

“Don’t worry about it. You’re family.” She placates. “And how many times have I told you not to call me Liyin?”

 

“Ahh, sorry…Umma.” Apoligies Baekhyun, sheepishly rubbing his neck.

 

“Now that’s better.” She smiles. “Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight.” He replies, finally making his way up to their bedroom.

 

On the bed he can see Jongdae curled up in the middle. Well, curled up as much as his belly allows him to anyway. Baekhyun quickly changes out of his work clothes into his sleep ware. Being as tired as he is he only gets on his pant before he decides to fore go a shirt and crawls into bed, embracing Jongdae from behind.

 

Jongdae briefly startles, burrowing closer into the new but familiar warmth. Smiling, Baekhyun thinks about how lucky he is to have Jongdae and their children. Even though he had lost one family, he had gained another. One that he would cherish for the rest of his life. He wouldn’t have it any other way. He was happy with how his life had turned out and he couldn’t imagine it any different then what it was.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Here it is. Truth be told, so far this is my favourtite chapter. It's a little angsty but then again, not everything about raising a child is sunshine and rainbows. There are always bumps along the way and parents do sometimes break when things become to much. What's important is the people around them.

Which brings me to Jongdae's mum. I always knew that I wanted Liyin in this story but I couldn't decide whether I wanted her to be his mum, his sister or a past love interest. Past love interest was ruled out because I decided that he's just to gay to have ever been romantically interested in a girl and his sister was ruled out because I had no idea who his mum would have been.

*Babies usually start teething any time from 6-12 months.

And let me just say that BTS's new song is literal FIRE. That choreography is insane and I can't wait for a dance practice. And regarding EXO I HATE YOU SO MUCH!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO PLAN A COMEBACK WHEN I HAVE EXAMS D: YOU DID THIS WITH CALL ME BABY AND LOVE ME RIGHT!! Anyway...

For those who haven't watched Jongdae and Minseok on 'Travelling without Manager' it's super cute. They're just adorable together :3 There is a subbed version on youtube here and so far 5 shorts episodes are up.

Okay I should stop now.