Life

Paint

 

March 21st 2016

3:12 am

 

Jongdae is violently awoken by strong pains in his stomach. Rubbing his stomach Jongdae tries his hardest to reign in his whimpers. He doesn’t want to wake Baekhyun up. He had just gotten back from a brutal shift at the precinct.

 

Jongdae breathes deeply, trying to make the pain more bearable. After what seem like ages but in reality was only a minute did Jongdae’s body relax. Breathing out Jongdae looks at the ceiling, trying to put together what had just happened. However those thoughts are put aside when he can feel the pressure in his bladder.

 

Groaning at the inconvenience Jongdae starts the arduous task of trying to manoeuvre himself and his massive belly off the bed without waking up the other occupant. Finally succeeding, Jongdae waddled over to the bathroom to release himself. Finishing, Jongdae travels back toward the bed but he doesn’t make it due to a sharp pain travelling down his spine straight to his lower back. The pain is so severe that it nearly makes him double over. But as soon as it begun, it stopped.

 

“Holy what was that?” he whispered.

 

Now wide awake, Jongdae knew he wouldn’t be able to fall back to sleep. So he turned and headed out of their bedroom and down the stairs and into his studio. It had only been a couple of days since Baekhyun had allowed him to paint again and he took full advantage of it, spending nearly all off his free time sketching and painting all of the ideas that had accumulated in his head during his ‘ban’.

 

In the middle of the room sits a half finished painting. Smiling Jongdae walks over and sits in the chair in front of it. While it may not be one of his best paintings technique wise, it holds a special place in his collection. He was looking forward to finishing it.

 

Just as he picks up his paint brush, another wave of pain crosses his belly. Though not as painful as the first time it still makes his breath hitch. It passes quickly but still takes him a minute to recover.

 

Jongdae had no idea what was going on. Suddenly something that the doctor had said flashes through his mind. Something about a fake labour.

 

It’s not uncommon for one to experience and fake labour or Braxton hicks weeks, sometimes even months before the body actually goes into labour. Braxton are define as practice contractions where the uterus sporadically contracts, simulating a contraction.’

 

“Braxton hicks. That’s right.” It made sense. He wasn’t due for another month.

 

For the next 2 hours he dealt with the pain that came with the contractions, only pausing his painting until it passed before continuing. Feeling thirsty he slowly stood and walked into the kitchen. Grabbing a cup from the sink he fills it up with water and takes a sip.

 

He goes to place it on the counter when a pain like no other rips through his stomach. He drops the glass and it shatters but he doesn’t hear a thing. All of his attention is focused on the pain. All he can really do is whimper.

 

Suddenly he hears a splash and he can feel his pants become wet. He’s hit with a sudden realisation. Oh god.

 

“B-baek…”

 

~X~

 

Baekhyun jolts awake. He had no idea what had woken up but his time as a detective has honed his skills. Something’s wrong. He turns to Jongdae’s side of the bed and finds it empty. There’s no sign of his husband anywhere in the room and it’s too silent for him to be in the bathroom. So where was he?

 

It’s then that he hears the quite call of his name coming from somewhere downstairs.

 

“Baek…”

 

“Baekhyun!”

 

As swift as possible, Baekhyun jumps out of bed, out the bedroom and down the stairs. He races into the kitchen and see’s Jongdae bent over, supporting himself on the counter and Baekhyun rushes over to him.

 

“Jongdae. What’s wrong?” Baekhyun worriedly asks as he rubs his back, trying to sooth his obvious pain.

 

Jongdae whimpers. “M-my waters broke.”

 

It took a moment for what Jongdae had said to sink in and when it did his eyes widened.

 

“Y-you need to go get the bag.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll go and get it. Do you think you can manage to call the hospital and tell them that we’re coming?”

 

“Yeah. I think I can manage that.”

 

Putting Jongdae’s arm around his shoulder, Baekhyun helps support Jongdae to the couch.

 

Setting Jongdae down Baekhyun pecks his lips before running up the stairs and grabbing the baby bag that they had thankfully prepared earlier. After grabbing the bag and a clean pair of pants he races back down the stairs, grabbing his wallet and keys on the way past the kitchen.

 

Baekhyun goes to Jongdae and takes off his wet pants and helps him put on the new pair. Standing up he supports him on the way to the car. Baekhyun makes sure that Jongdae is safely buckled into before getting into the driver’s seat and starting the car.

 

On the way to the hospital Baekhyun free hand is holding Jongdae’s and he can feel, as well as see how much pain he is in with each contraction. It was hard knowing that Jongdae was in pain yet he could do nothing to ease it. All he could do was gently circle his thumb across the back of his hand. He felt helpless.

 

When they reached the hospital they were immediately taken into a room where Baekhyun helped Jongdae out of his clothes and into a hospital gown. Just as Baekhyun had helped Jongdae onto the bed a woman walked into the room.

 

“Hello there. I’m Dr Lee and I’m going to be your midwife.” She introduced. “How are you feeling?”

 

“As good as can be expected I guess.” Replies Jongdae.

 

Dr Lee smiles, satisfied with the answer.

 

“I’m going to need to check how dilated you are to see how long until you’re ready.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Of course.”

 

Dr Lee makes her way over to Jongdae and instructs him to raise his knees and open him legs. She drapes a blanket over his legs, protecting his modesty from the rest of the occupant in the room.

 

“Now just a fore warning, this is going to feel uncomfortable. If anything hurts just tell me and I’ll stop. Okay?”

 

Jongdae nod his head and reaches out for Baekhyun to come closer, wanting him to hold his hand.

 

Baekhyun can see the slight grimace that makes its way onto Jongdae’s face as Dr Lee’s hand disappears and it makes him unconsciously grimace as well.

 

“You’re 7 centimetres dilated. I would give it at most 2 hours until you’re fully dilated and ready to deliver. You’re expecting twins, am I correct?”

 

Both nod.

 

“Yeah.” Says Beakhyun. “We’re having two little boys.”

 

“Isn’t that nice.” Dr Lee smiles. She then turns to Jongdae. “If the pain gets too much just ring the bell and we’ll give you an epidural.” Giving the couple one last smile Dr Lee then walks out of the room.

 

“I can’t believe this. We’re going to be parents soon.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles. “Yep. And then comes the nappies, bottles and sleepless nights.”

 

“Oh shut up. Let’s enjoy the peace while it lasts.”

 

An hour later, despite Baekhyun rubbing his back the pain became too much and an epidural was needed. Baekhyun watches the needle was inserted into Jongdae’s spine. It hurt but the numbing effect that it soon had was ‘totally worth it’ according to Jongdae.

 

Soon it was time for Jongdae to start pushing.

 

“Okay Jongdae, when the next contraction hits I want you to push.”

 

When the next contraction hit Jongdae bared down and pushed.

 

“Good, good. Now breath.”

 

Baekhyun pushed Jongdae’s hair back while he panted, getting ready for the next contraction. This continued multiple times until they heard a shout.

 

“I can see the head! Just a little more and your first baby will be in your arms.”

 

Jongdae smiles despite the pain.

 

Baekhyun kissed Jongdae’s sweaty forehead, coming his finger through his hair.

 

“You’re doing so well baby. Come on.”

 

Jongdae is hit with another contraction and he screams, pushing hard. Jongdae’s scream cuts of when he hears the cry of a baby. His baby. He sighs in relief and he doesn’t even notice when tears start falling down his face.

 

Dr Lee smiles and gestures to Baekhyun.

 

“Would you like to cut the cord?”

 

Baekhyun jumps, seemingly startled.

 

“Ahh yes.” Baekhyun cuts the cord and the baby is wrapped in a thin blanket and passed off to Jongdae.

 

Jongdae hold his little boy close to his chest, tracing his little face with his fingers. He is entranced. He’s never seen such a perfect little thing in his life. He can’t believe that this little boy is his, and there’s another to come.

 

Baekhyun looks at the sight in front of him and he can’t help the tears that stream down his face either, though at the moment he doesn’t really care. Jongdae looks and Baekhyun and moves his head to the side, telling him to come closer.

 

“Want to hold your son?”

 

All Baekhyun can do is nod. He carefully grabs his little boy and manoeuvres him against his chest. They seemed to have good timing as it seemed their other little baby was getting ready to meet the world.

 

Even though Beakhyun wanted to stay with his first son, he knew that Jongdae would need him. He was already exhausted from giving birth once so he would need all the encouragement he could get for the next. Baekhyun passed his son off to one of the nurses, who put him into a crib, before returning to Jongdae’s side.

 

“Come on Dae, you can do it.”

 

Jongdae one again bared down and pushed. Rested and pushed. Rested and pushed. This birth was significantly slower than the first.

 

Jongdae couldn’t do it anymore. It hurt and he was exhausted. He wanted to sleep. It was too hard and he began to cry.

 

“I-I can’t do it. I can’t do it!” cried Jongdae.

 

“Yes you can.”

 

“No I can’t. I can’t. I can’t. I-“

 

“Shh shh. Yes you can.” Soothed Baekhyun. “Your one of the strongest people I know. You can do anything. Come on, all you need to do is push.”

 

When the next contraction hit, Jongdae pushes as hard as he could and was rewarded by the feeling if the baby’s head coming out.

 

“You’re doing so well. One more push.”

 

Jongdae pushed one more time using the last of his energy on getting this baby out. The cries of their second baby coming into the world were just as beautiful as the first. Jongdae cried and leaned back. The stress of giving birth and the joy of becoming a parent crashed upon him all at once, paired up with the exhaustion that comes with it.

 

Baekhyun was by his side, whispering praises and declarations of love into his ear while whipping his tears and pushed his sweaty hair out of his face.

 

“I’m so proud of you. You did so well. I love you so much.”

 

Despite his exhaustion Jongdae smiles. One of the nurses place their second little boy in his arms. He’s just as beautiful as their eldest. His little boys.

 

Baekhyun goes over to the crib and picks up their first and places him in Jongdae’s arms next to his little brother. Baekhyun just smiles at the sight. He couldn’t have imagined anything better then what he is seeing now. He leans down and presses his lips against Jongdae’s and he returns the gesture. However it was interrupted by Jongdae yawning.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“No, don’t be. You deserve all the rest you can get before the party really starts.”

 

Jongdae groans in response.

 

“We need to name them.”

 

“Yeah.” Agrees Jongdae.

 

“You got any suggestions?”

 

Jongdae smiles. “Minseok for the first and Luhan for the second.”

 

“Luhan?”

 

“It’s Chinese. You do remember that I’m half Chinese right?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. I remember.” How could he forget? As soon as they got married Jongdae’s mother would gift them with various Chinese religious statues, vitamins and foods that were said to help with fertility. Yes. That was something no one could forget. Nor could he forget the times when Jongdae would be mad at him and instead of giving him the silent treatment, would curse him out and talk to him in Mandarin. That was not fun.

 

“You don’t like it?” Jongdae timidly asks.

 

“No. I love it. Minseok and Luhan. It’s perfect.”

 

The pain was 100% worth it. Through the pain they were rewarded with the best gifts anyone could offer. Their little angels.

 

Byun Minseok

8:17 am

21st of March 2016

5 pounds (2.2 kilograms)

 

Byun Luhan

8:34 am

21st of March 2016

5.1 pounds (2.3 kilograms)

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

 

Well here's chapter 2 as promised :) I'm actually pretty satisfied with this chapter. I've never written a birth scene before and even though it's not perfect I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. And as you can see I've made Jongdae half Chinese. I did this so it would make more sense as to why one (maybe another in the future *wink wink* ) of his kids have a Chinese name.

And to any Teen Wolf and Supernatural fans reading this I saw Max Carver and Jim Beaver on Sunday! It was like, amazing. Max was super funny and ed about his brother because he cancelled and Jim's just a great guy.

Anyway, until next chapter!