Promise

Paint

 

 

 

 

18th August 2017

 

“Baekhyun I swear to god if I have to drag you back into that seat…” says Jongdae exasperatedly, leaving the threat open for Baekhyun’s own interpretation.

 

Since Baekhyun had been discharged from the hospital he had tried everything to deviate from the doctors’ orders, just like Jongdae had thought he would. For the first couple of days Baekhyun was the perfect patient, staying in bed and following everything Jongdae had told him and Jongdae was getting suspiscious. That wasn’t like Baekhyun at all and he was proved correct the next day.

 

Jongdae had caught him playing with the boys. Normally that would be okay, he had been lightly playing with the boys since he got back. But Jongdae found him crawling on the floor chasing the boys. Jongdae just stood by the door, hip cocked out to one side and hand resting on his hip. When Baekhyun finally looked up and noticed him he was met with the exact definition of a disappointed wife (in this case a disappointed husband).

 

It’s been like this for a week and a half now and it was driving Jongdae crazy! Why couldn’t he just do as he’s told? Is that too much to ask? But then again, it wouldn’t be Baekhyun.

 

“Okay, okay Dr Byun Jongdae. I’ll keep my in this chair.” Baekhyun relents. But Jongdae knows that this won’t be the last time he has to tell him.

 

“You better.” Replies Jongdae, narrowing his eyes at Baekhyun’s form on the lounge. He stays a few seconds longer before disappearing in the kitchen to prepare lunch for everyone. Baekhyun can hear the knife as it hits the bread board after every cut.

 

“You know…” Baekhyun says after a while. “If I sit here any longer then I’m going to become one with the lounge.”

 

“Then so be it!” yells Jongdae immediately. “At least then I won’t have to keep telling you to sit your down onto it!”

 

“Language! There are children in the house.” He says cheekily.

 

“Oh don’t you sass me Byun Baekhyun!” says Jongdae, annoyed. “Or you might find a bit more than ham, cheese and tomato in your toasted sandwich.”

 

“…Are you threatening to poison me?”

 

“…”

 

“Babe?”

 

“Lunch is ready!” calls Jongdae merrily.

 

Jongdae comes out from the kitchen and into the lounge room holding two plates, both with a toasted sandwich on them. He puts his down onto the coffee table before giving Baekhyun his and disappearing back into the kitchen.

 

Baekhyun looks down at his with suspicion, lifting the corner of one of the triangles to see the inside. It doesn’t look any different but…

 

“Just eat the damn sandwich.” Jongdae’s voice cuts through as he once again returns back into the lounge room with two bowls of fruit which he places onto a little chair and table set in the corner.

 

“Minnie! Lulu! Come here!” Jongdae calls. Soon the little pitter patter of feet can be heard and Minseok and Luhan come from around the corner. “Lunch.” Simple says Jongdae and both boys go to their table, knowing that’s where they eat.

 

Luhan looks up at Jongdae. “Bikki?” he asks, hopeful eyes blinking up at him and Jongdae finds it almost impossible to say no.

 

“If you eat all of your fruit, then you can have a bikki.” Jongdae relents. Luhan pouts but nods his head anyway and starts munching on his fruit like Minseok.

 

Smiling, Jongdae heads towards the lounge but stops when he sees Baekhyun still staring at his food. “Are you going to eat it or what?” he says, blankly staring at him.

 

“Y-yeah.” Baekhyun says as Jongdae plops down onto the lounge next to him picking up his sandwich and taking a massive bite out of it. Jongdae watches as Baekhyun slowly brings the sandwich to his lips and take a tentative bite out of it. He swallows and turns to see Jongdae still looking at him.

 

“Now that wasn’t so hard now was it?” he says, a pleased smile curling at his lips. Baekhyun doesn’t answer, instead taking another bite out of his sandwich after he had deemed it safe and absent of ‘questionable contaminants’.

 

“Mama fin. Bikki now?” comes a small voice. They both look over and see Luhan holding his bowl upside down, showing them that he had finished. Jongdae looks over and sees that Minseok is munching on his last piece of apple.

 

“Yes you can have a bikki now.” He says and Luhan puts his bowl down and claps his hands in excitement. After stuffing the last piece of his sandwich into his mouth, Jongdae goes into the kitchen and returns with two biscuits in his hand which he holds out to both of the boys.

 

They both grab a hold of one and try to pull them away but Jongdae doesn’t let go one them.

 

“What do you say?” he asks instead, whether or not they answer right determining if they get the biscuit.

 

“Tank mama.” Two little voice echo and Jongdae smiles, relinquishing his hold on the biscuits.

 

“You’re welcome babies.” Says Jongdae in response, proud of his boys’ manners.

 

Jongdae takes the boys’ now empty plates and put them in the sick. He opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of already mixed baby formula and puts it in the microwave for 40 seconds, enough to warm it up before he goes upstairs.

 

He goes into Junmyeon’s room and finds the little angel awake in his crib. When he spots his mama he lets out an excited squeal and begins to babble, holding his hands out and wanting to be picked up.

 

“Hello Junnie.” Greets Jongdae, exaggerating his words. “You hungry?” he asks as he picks him up, not expecting an answer. Instead Junmyeon just sticks a hand in his mouth and making sounds.

 

“Let’s go eat huh.” Cradling Junmyeon in his arms he goes downstairs and grabs the bottle from the microwave. He places a finger on the teat, blocking it while he shakes it before squirting a tiny bit on his wrist, testing the temperature. Deeming it safe he continues on his way to the lounge room.

 

Baekhyun is still sitting on the lounge and it seems that for the time being he’s following Jongdae’s orders, while the boys have disappeared. They’re probably in their playroom. Jongdae goes to stand in front of Baekhyun, who looks up when he senses his presence.

 

“Do you want to feed him?” Asks Jongdae.

 

Baekhyun looks at Jongdae surprised. He hadn’t let Baekhyun feed Junmyeon since he got out of the hospital, scared that it would require too much effort on Baekhyun’s part.

 

“Um sure.” Answers Baekhyun, unconsciously holding out his arms for Jongdae to place Junmyeon in. Jongdae deposits him into Baekhyun’s arms and hands him the bottle. Baekhyun holds it to Junmyeon’s lips who, after recognising the taste, immediately begins happily drinking.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t even realise it when his lips pull up into a fond smile but Jongdae certainly does. He decides to leave the father and son by themselves so he heads to the kitchen, deciding to begin cooking dinner. They need their bonding time.

 

“You know Appa loves you.” Says Baekhyun softly. “And your brothers. And your mother.” But as expected there’s no response. Junmyeon just on his bottle and looks up at Baekhyun with wides eyes, knowing that his father is talking to him but not being able to comprehend the weird noises that are coming out of his mouth.

 

“You know your Mama was very worried about me.” Baekhyun continues. “He still is. Appa could have left you all, not that I wanted to.” He says, a rueful smile on his face. “Appa was hurt bad and Mama was scared.” He pauses. “I don’t think any amount of ‘I’m sorry’s’ could ever be enough, could ever amount to the amount of pain he must have been feeling. I’m just glad that all you boys are too young to remember what had happened.”

 

A single tear escapes from his eye.

 

“Appa won’t leave any of you. I promise.” Finishes Baekhyun, placing a tender kiss onto Junmyeon’s forehead, who had fallen asleep during his monologue.

 

Little did Baekhyun know, Jongdae had heard every word. There he was, leaning against the pantry with his hand pressed tightly against his mouth to stifle his cries as tears leaked from his eyes and down his face.

 

~X~

 

Hours later found Baekhyun and Jongdae in their room. They had not long ago put the kids to bed and were getting ready themselves. Baekhyun was lying on the bed, shirt off and healing wound exposed while Jongdae gently applied the salve that the doctor and subscribed to Baekhyun which acted as a numbing agent and to insure infection didn’t set in.

 

“I heard you.” Says Jongdae, breaking the silence. “What you said to Junmyeon.”

 

Baekhyun’s breath hitches and his gaze flicks up to the ceiling as he bites his lip.

 

“You have nothing to be sorry for.” Jongdae whispers, putting the salve on the bedside table.

 

“Yes, I do.” Argues Baekhyun, arranging himself so his back is resting against the headboard.

 

“No you don’t.” insists Jongdae, sitting beside Baekhyun and taking his hand in his.

 

“Yes, I do.” He squeezes Jongdae’s hand and silence permeates the room for a moment.

 

“Physical pain heals quickly.” He says. “But emotional pain doesn’t.”

 

“Baekhyun…”

 

“I see it every time you look at me. Like you expect me to disappear every time you look away.” Says Baekhyun pointedly, but there’s no accusation in his voice.

 

Jongdae looks down at his lap, feeling guilty that Baekhyun had picked up on it. He should have expected it though. Baekhyun wasn’t a detective for nothing.

 

Baekhyun cups the side of Jongdae’s face and pulls it to rest on his chest, wrapping his arm around Jongdae and hugging him to his side.

 

“You hear that?” asks Baekhyun. “Can you hear my heart beating?”

 

Jongdae nods.

 

“Can you feel that?” Baekhyun asks as he runs his fingers through Jongdae’s hair. “Can you?”

 

Jongdae nods again.

 

“I’m here and nothing’s going to take me away from you.” He declared, voice strong and Jongdae can feel the rumbling in Baehyun’s chest as he speaks. “I promise.”

 

And that’s all it takes for Jongdae to break down. His hands clutch Baekhyun’s shirt and Baekhyun’s own hand comes up to rub his back soothingly.

 

They fall asleep wrapped in each other’s embrace, Baekhyun whispering sweet nothings into Jongdae’s ear and the tracks of tears drying on Jongdae’s face.

 

 

 

 

“I promise you…”

 


Omg guys, I'm so sorry!! I completely forgot to post this chapter yesterday D: I was busy studying for my exams and it completely slipped my mind. Good news though, I only have 2 more to go. My last one is on Wednesday and then I'm free!!.........Until next semester.

This chapter was a little angsty, though it's kind of expected from what happened last chapter. But I promise it'll start getting happier from now on, though I can't promise anything for later on ;)

But like omg. I'm still recovering from EXO's comeback. Like I can't tell you guys how many times I've watched the MV's, live stages and listened to the album. I'm waiting for my albums to arrive but because I'm stingy and didn't want to pay $50 AUD on shipping it's going to take a while (20-30 days).

See you next week!