Gwangju

TWICE Short Stories - Jeong Yeon x Na Yeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

SYN: How two teenagers sort out their differences to survive the 1980 Gwangju Democratization Movement.

 

Nayeon: Likes Jeongyeon

 

Jeongyeon: In a feud with Momo; Likes Nayeon

 

Momo: in a feud with Jeongyeon; Like Mina after seeing her on the bus

 

Mina: Jeongyeon’s sister; Like Momo

 

It's based off this Korean M/V here's the link of to give you ideas (: https://youtu.be/OedIdAJ6LAM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Year 1980 May 19th]

 

Once someone mentions these dates in Korea, there wasn’t a doubt that no one would tell you what it stood for. That day was when the Gwangju Democratization movement happened. The casualty rate was high with 163 people dead, 166 people lost, 101 people dead from their injuries and 3139 people injured. It lasted for days, with 1589 people jailed.

 

This was the year 2000, ten years after the situation but the day would be forever be engraved in the minds of Mina and Nayeon. They walked around the memorial park after leaving flowers at the alter and talked about life that they had went through as the two friends sat on an empty bench. Never had they missed a year to come here to pay their respects.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The early 1980s was hectic. The government was corrupted, leading through dictatorship, causing the public to be afraid too. Universities were a mess, with students forming gangs against the soldiers but also against themseleves. The most prominent ones were the gangs lead by Hirai Momo and Yoo Jeongyeon. Both girls had been in a feud since a long time ago. Why they were in that feud was unclear. But some said it was because of a power struggle that split the gang while others say it goes way long back.

 

Jeongyeon and her gang were hanging out when they spotted a boy that seemed weak. Being too bored, Jeongyeon looked at her mate and jerked her head towards his direction to tell her mate to take him here. Living in a society full of violence, the only thing she would enjoy was violence. Chaeyoung yelled and caught the boy’s attention before pulling him towards the gang and shoving him on the ground. He was in a kneeling position and looking at Jeongyeon looking down at him.

 

“Wipe that look off your face! No one is going to pity you!” Jeongyeon spat as she kicked the latter to the ground. She hopped off the barrel she was sitting on and walked towards the boy who was trashing on the ground, trying to escape. But Jeongyeon’s other gang members blocked him, picked him up and allowed Jeongyeon to sock him a few times. She was about to give a last punch before a shout interrupted her. Everyone turned to see Hirai Momo and her gang looking at them.

 

MM: Let him go Yoo.

JY: Mind your own business if you want to live.

 

MM: Coward. You only bully the weak. If you have the guts, take me on.

 

Jeongyeon clenched her saw and took her stance before waving Momo over. She smirked and both gangs charged towards each other. It seemed like both gangs were equally strong and no one seemed to be backing down. Momo swung her arm towards Jeongyeon’s face but the latter blocked. Momo sent a second punch but Jeongyeon blocked it, twisted her arm away and kneed her in the gut. She stumbled but quickly recovered before landing a punch on the latter’s face. In the end, there was a standstill. While gripping on to each other, Jeongyeon’s eyes snapped to the side before she let go of Momo’s collar, allowing the latter to shove her to the ground.

 

MM: Tch. Coward.

 

Momo spat before she got her gang together and walked off.

 

CY: What the hell Jeongyeon!

 

JY: Shut up. My sister saw... All of you, go home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Wooo! Momo! Momo! Momo!” Her gang cheered as they walked towards the bus stop. It was another victory against Jeongyeon on their list and they were going to a food place to have a celebratory dinner. The noisy university students boarded the bus and chatted away but Momo had her eyes fixed on the last passenger that was entering the bus.

 

The girl had shoulder length hair and looked unique with the moles on her face. But Momo also noticed a man staring her up and down and at the same time, trying to touch her. Momo furrowed her brows and wanted to go help her but the girl got things under control when she hit him hard in the head with her bag. The girl then immediately got down the bus and decided that walking home was better. Momo didn’t know what happened but she found herself going after the girl and walking her friends cheer for her.

 

MI: What do you want?

 

MM: I… Um… I saw what happened and I want to accompany you home… In case…

 

MI: How would I know you aren’t lying? My brother said not to trust strangers.

 

MM: I- I promise I’m not that kind of person!

 

“Fine.” Mina turned around and smirked a little before walking away but was suddenly startled when soldiers tackled a man. Se froze on the spot, not knowing what to do but she suddenly felt a tug against her hand. She looked back and Saw herself being dragged away by Momo in to an alleyway, trying to lose the soldiers that were now chasing after them.

 

MM: Ha… We… We lost them…

 

Mina panted a while before collecting herself and thanking the latter for saving her.

 

“Mina.” She said as she stuck her hand out for a handshake.

 

“Momo.” Momo smiled widely as she took her hand and shake it. They walked for a little while before they stopped in front of a house; Mina’s house. They both bid goodbye and Momo immediately trashed her body in excitement because she managed to hold the girl’s hand even if it was a handshake and meanwhile, Mina hid in her room and looked at her hand, smiling sheepishly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Idiot.” Mina nagged as she pressed down on Jeongyeon’s busted lip, casing the latter to wince in pain. Mina glared and her and ignored the latter before hurting her with the antiseptic again.

 

JY: Sometimes I really question if you are my sister-ahhh! Okay, okay that’s enough you demon.

 

Mina packed up her first aid kit while Jeongyeon went into her room to do her homework.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeongyeon skipped school again and was hanging out at the clubroom with her gang. With the situation now, universities were understaffed and the remaining teachers had given up in teaching the students already. To Jeongyeon it was a waste of time to even attend. After winning another round of pool, Jeongyeon got bored and decided to take a walk outside. It was really dangerous but the area seemed very peaceful nowadays so she had nothing to fear.

 

While walking around the torn and tattered shop houses she suddenly heard screaming and yelling. Knowing that it was soldiers terrorizing the public again, she crotched down and approached the place slowly. Instead of being beaten up, she saw a soldier pushing a girl against a wall and giving her the dirtiest look.

 

“No… please! Let me go! I-I-I did nothing wrong!” The buckteeth girl screamed as she tried to shove the soldier off her. But the man smacked her across the face, immediately silencing her. The girl looked very familiar; circular glasses, bunny teeth, pigtail braids…

 

“Nayeon…” Jeongyeon said under her breath before her eyes darted around searching for a weapon. She managed to spot a broken wooden plank and lifted it above her head before swinging it towards the ert and knocking him out. Wasting no time, Jeongyeon grabbed Nayeon’s wrist and both started running while other soldiers chased them.

 

“GO!” Jeongyeon yelled as she stopped to topple some boxes over to slow the soldiers down. But one of them easily caught up after Jeongyeon tripped over a beer bottle and fell. The soldier hit her with the of his rifle while telling his other comrades to search fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter