Chapter 2

Another Life

                They chose to sit at the table Minwoo had earlier. Minwoo was delighted he could persuade the other to drink with him because he was alone while Dongwan looked amused at the sudden meeting with the stranger.

MW: Your singing earlier was really great! Are you a singer? Underground?

DW: (Laugh lightly at MW’s guess.) Thank you for the compliment. No, I’m not a singer.. unfortunately.

MW: Really? What a waste. I think you could make it if you get into the music industry.

                Dongwan was uncomfortable with Minwoo’s remark, but to not be rude he nodded slightly anyway. It was Minwoo’s treats anyway.

MW: Don’t you know me? (Lift his eyebrows expectantly.)

                Dongwan was taken aback at the stranger’s question. They just met five minutes ago and did he supposed to know him?

DW: Ermm.. Sorry?

MW: (Slightly shocked and embarrassed.) Oh you don’t know? Haha ok.. I’m Minwoo from SHINHWA, (when he saw DW was confused) an idol group (?).

DW: Oooh.. Oh SHINHWA! Yes yes, I know that group! Sorry, I didn’t catch up with the music industry much. It’s an honour to meet you, Minwoo-ssi.

MW: It’s ok. (Laugh) But seriously you said you didn’t catch up with music? That’s weird haha. I mean everyone listen to music, right?

DW: (Hesitate for a moment) It’s not like I don’t know about what happened at all. I just… did not like ‘idols’ much. Sorry.

                Dongwan felt guilty to say something like that in front of Minwoo’s face. But he hated to lie about it either.

MW: (Shocked) Really? Is there any reason? I’m curious.

                Dongwan hesitated again. He became really uncomfortable like – why should they talk about this? It would unnecessarily bring back bad memories and who was he again that Dongwan should share his past? Actually his story was not that bad for others but it was personal to him. Yet, he was compelled to spill it out to the stranger with the sweet compassionate eyes, or maybe it was the wine.

DW: Years ago… actually I almost debuted as an idol too. But things happened and all of it were in the past. After that I don’t listen to idols much… and pretty much stop singing.

MW: (Was surprised at the news. There was too much things he wanted to comment but first..)The bartender said you come here often to sing.

DW: Hahaa.. I think I love singing too much to give it all up. Before that I used to be in a rock band under a company, but then I quit.. because we did not get enough good response.

MW: That’s too bad.. Wow! I can’t imagine you singing rock (genuinely impressed). Because you sang ballad just now. Why didn’t you sang rock?

DW: Aishh I’m not at the age to do things like that anymore. Besides, we need a band to do rock, Minwoo-ssi.

                Both were quiet for a moment, both drinking their glass in silence, each trying to process what have been told earlier. There was one thing that need to be addressed but Minwoo was considering on how to approach the subject because he noticed it was a bad experience for the latter, while Dongwan was waiting expectantly for the response of his story.

MW: I’m sorry things did not went well for you. It’s mind-blowing to know that you might have been popular by now if you were an idol. Well, with your great voice and your face, you gonna get far. We might even met sooner and became friends and go partying together (laugh at his own joke).

                Dongwan also thought that was funny and he snickered too while looking at his empty glass. He digested what Minwoo had said – what would have happened if he really became an idol in the past? After two second of day-dreaming, he did not dare to think about things that were not possible and shook his head to sober himself.

MW: But yahh really.. your voice is really great it’s such a waste. (Looked at Dongwan seriously) I could help you if you want to be a singer now. I’m sure you could be successful. What do you say?

DW: (Throw him an are-you-kidding-me look. He felt underestimated.) I’m sorry, Minwoo-ssi. I’m quite successful now too, for your information.

MW: (Laugh nervously) Are you angry? I’m just saying; there is no reason to be angry though. Here, drink more (fill up Dongwan’s glass).

DW: I’m not angry (nodded at the glass). Ehh enough talking about me. What are you doing here? Is it ok for idol to go in public?

MW: Well.. it seemed that nobody recognized me. Sigh, I’ve should wear better jacket – the one that have sparkles. Haha!

                Dongwan cannot contained his funny laughter at Minwoo’s friendly narcissism. The man was interesting; he want to know more about him. By the way, the man already know his history so he should not get away easily.

MW: Yah, let’s talk informally. Call me Minwoo. I’ll call you Dongwan. Friends?

DW: Are you sure? There’s no backing off once we talk informally, Minwoo-ah.

                Both were laughing loudly at their impromptu friendship, but then again maybe they were giddy because of the wine. Even so, that night, they talked a lot about random stuff, laughed too much at stupidest joke, and sang shamelessly to lamest song. They had forgotten that they only met a few hours before.

                After two bottles of wine and the lights were off, they decided it was time to part ways. Minwoo barely could walk straight so Dongwan led him into the cab. They exchanged farewells and Minwoo’s cab drove through the night. Inside the cab, Minwoo took out his phone and viewed the pictures that he had taken earlier with the new friend. Although they just met, he could not shake off the feeling that he had known him for a longer time. Giggled at the funny pictures by himself, he mentally noted that they would met up again soon.

 

_____________

 

p/s: yeah. i know. this chapter is messy and the conv feels somewhat forced. im at conv myself so why the heck am i tried to write this. what do you think? is their personality out of character? im worried..

One more, when i said this is angst, the pain might be worse on the reader lol.