Lunch with the Horvejkul's

His Story, Her Story... Their Story
 
 
“I can’t believe you made me come here. You know how much I hate visiting my family,” he says, furrowing his eyebrows in distaste at the situation. Music blares from the speakers as the atmosphere between us grows tense. He spoke with such a strong harshness to his voice and I can sense the hatred within his presence.
 
 
“Hate is a strong word,” the car came to a sudden stop, my body jolting forward at the force but restricted by the seatbelt.
 
 
 I turned my head as I felt his strong glare rest upon me, our eyes meeting as rays of light stream into the car. My phone had flown out of my hands and dropped to the floor but I don’t dare to try and pick it up with the kind of look that he’s giving me. I guess I never really realised how sensitive he gets about his family issues. I scan over his expressionless face, our eyes meeting briefly before he turns away.
 
 
“You don’t understand what I feel,” his head lowers until he is merely watching his feet, trying to avoid my eyes. Its difficult to understand what he feels if he can never express it. 
 
 
“And you don’t understand how wrong it is for you to feel this way. What if something happens and they die? You would regret all the bad things that you have ever thought and said about them,” I feel the tears building at the rims of my eyes, as if this is my reflection of what has happened in my past. In times like this, I understand the pain that my parents may have felt those times I spited them. I can only regret all of that. “I know what it’s like to lose your parents and then realise how important they actually were to me. Don’t take what you have for granted,” a single tear streams down my cheek.
 
 
He lifts his head, directing his orbs upon me as the sniffling sounds escape from me in my attempt to hide my tears. 
 
 
“You’ve been crying so much lately. Please don’t start crying again. I feel like I have to cry with you” he pleads as he brushes his slender fingers through my tousled locks of hair. “I’m sorry.”
 
 
“I’m pregnant,” I playfully slap his arm as more tears stream down my face and drop down from my chin onto my dress, staining the fabric. “Pregnant women cry. It’s normal,” a strained cry escapes from my lips as he passes a handkerchief into my grip. 
 
 
I wipe the warm liquid from my face as the last tear hangs off the corner of my eye. His hand rests on my shoulder in reassurance. I always seem to cry around Nichkhun and Nichkhun only. Maybe there’s something about him that just happens to make me so upset. Is that even possible? I always seem to come up with the weirdest theories. 
 
 
I brush my fingers along my cheeks as I turn to face Nichkhun once more. “Do I still look pretty?” I ask, aware that my makeup has probably smudged with my tears. I probably look like a racoon. He briefly casts his eyes upon me before his laugh echoes in the car and I can’t help but laugh with him
 
 
….
 
 
We are surrounded by nothing but complete silence, the atmosphere growing tenser with each passing second. Only the faint sounds of chewing can be heard, the rustling of leaves in trees as the wind sweeps through the air. My eyes switch back and forth between the others at the table, praying that someone would say something, anything. Chansung lifts his head, his lips parting as if the words are frozen within his breath. Our eyes meet as I wait patiently for the words to escape from his lips, drumming my fingers on my arm as his lips move apart. Yet all he did was break wind. 
 
 
“Excuse me,” he apologises almost soundlessly, his cheeks flushing to a bright red in embarrassment. He sends an apologetic smile to the others at the table before his head drops, his fork moving the food on the plate back and forth. All I can do is be grateful that he had at least muttered something.
 
 
The others wrinkle their noses in disgust, Grandma starting to fan the air around her as if the vile stench had wafted through her nostrils. After only a few moments, there is only silence once more. I wonder what has made everyone like this. Did I miss something? I don’t really think so but I have been thinking a lot lately and kind of ignoring everything that is happening around me. I mean, I’m sure they were all fine earlier. What’s with the attitudes? 
 
 
I scan over our surroundings, trying to think of something to say. I’ve not really been to the mansion often so I can’t say that the changes that they’ve made are nice. It would only just make things awkward. Come on Victoria! Normally, you can think of something to say quickly. You’re good at talking. That’s probably why the debate team in high school had done so well that year I was in it. Oh, that makes me sound so arrogant! Oh my god! Why am I arguing with myself? I swear this silence is driving me to insanity. 
 
 
“The flowers look beautiful,” I speak cautiously. My eyes travel across the rows of hydrangeas and carnations that are lined across the vast lawn. “The light really captures on the bright colours on days like this.” Come on Vera, say something. I know Nichkhun told me his mother had planted them. Why won’t she make some kind of comment? I just complimented her work. I lift my glass and allow the refreshing liquid to travel down my throat, as if it would clear my mind. I am so desperate right now. 
 
 
“Yes,” Taeyeon breaks through the discomfort, “They look really nice today.” Finally someone understands what I’m trying to hint at.
 
 
And then when I want to think of something else to say I return to nothing but blankness. I swear there’s nothing going through my mind. Nothing. I feel like a baby who can’t really do anything but sit and watch everything that’s happening around them. I wonder what actually goes through babies’ minds. Hmm, what did I think about back then? Did I even think about anything? For god’s sake, I’ve drifted off into thought land again. Well, I think I better return back to the table then even though probably nothing and I mean nothing has happened since I left. 
 
 
“Oh my god, this is so boring,” everyone suddenly diverts their attention from the dishes in front of them and directs it to me. My hands clasp over my mouth as I realise what’s going on. That wasn’t supposed to happen. This situation had just become very uncomfortable for a certain Miss Victoria Song. “I didn’t mean that. This lunch isn’t boring at all,” I apologise. Did that come across as being sarcastic? I think it might have. This isn’t a good day for me, is it? Why am I so stupid? This is probably why I never made many friends apart from the fact that I’m too shy and not very friendly. 
 
 
“Who are we all kidding? This has been the most boring day that I‘ve ever had,” Nichkhun claims in response, throwing his fist down onto the table. It shakes at impact, the expensive dining set growing dangerously capable of dropping to the ground
 
 
“Well, I’m sorry the rest of us aren’t as ‘interesting’ and ‘exciting’ as you are,” Wooyoung mutters beneath his breath, his voice just loud enough for his words to have been heard by his brother that sat by my side. 
 
 
I can sense his muscles tense, the anger growing within him as it radiates from him into our surroundings. I just had to cause some trouble, didn’t I? This isn’t going to end well, I can tell. I’ve worked for Wooyoung and spent time with Nichkhun long enough to understand that both have to win the argument. They loathe the thought of losing, especially to each other. As I glance at the fine, expensive pieces of china that are sat upon the table, I feel sympathetic for Vera, knowing that she was probably going to lose all of it within minutes, left only with broken shards of glass. 
 
 
“Are you trying to make fun of me?” Nichkhun asks, his eyes growing dark with each word. “You’re trying to mock me because you were never as great as I am.”
 
 
A smile lingers briefly upon Wooyoung‘s lips before a guffaw escapes from them, the words struggling through his exasperated state, “Are you kidding me? You’re great? You don’t even have enough friends to count on one hand.”
 
 
“I have plenty of friends. You’re just being jealous.”
 
 
“You never had any friends except from Taecyeon and that’s because he was too stupid to realise that you are vain and shallow. You don’t care about anyone but yourself.”
 
 
“You always have to put me down, don’t you? It’s like I’m not allowed to have anything good in my life Do you not like seeing me happy?” Nichkhun growls. The fire burns in his eyes, those eyes that are often so warm and welcoming. 
 
 
Nichkhun throws his arms to his side as he moves his body towards Wooyoung, the glass of water slipping from his hands as it smashes against the tree by the table. Silence is all that has become of us. Our eyes widen in shock, everyone slowly trying to distance themselves from both men as they stand up, their eyes glued onto each other as if they were watching their prey. I cautiously glance at their mother from the corner of my eye, feeling a sense of protection from her for both her sons and her dining ware. I’ve lost my appetite. My hunger isn’t apparent and all I’m able to feel is worry that there is more to come. 
 
 
“My water is too dry,” Chansung breaks through the discomfort, a meek smile lingering upon his lips. I could tell he is trying to lighten the situation but nobody laughs at his joke. Nichkhun immediately turns his head in Chansung’s direction, furrowing his eyebrows. His lips part as if he’s going to say something but he doesn’t and Chansung remains ignored.
 
 
“I put you down? You’re the one who always tries to claim that my life is so bad and horrible, that I have an annoying son and horrible wife,” Wooyoung retaliates, his hand unconsciously reaching towards the dishes upon the table. Taeyeon lifts them over to her side before heaving a deep sigh, knowing that this won’t finish until someone ends up injured. “At least I have a family. You’ve been forced with Victoria since you got her pregnant and now you have to deal with all of this responsibility. You’re a failure and that child is going to end up just like you!”
 
 
Nichkhun launches forward quickly and grabs Wooyoung’s collar, his face burning in anger. “Take that back!” he growls, the impact of his voice blowing the curling tendrils around Wooyoung’s face. Wooyoung’s eyes are wide in terror and fright, his body trying to wriggle out of Nichkhun’s grasp.
 
 
“If I take it back then I would be lying,” he yells.
 
 
Vera shoots up from her seat and directs an infuriated glare in her sons’ direction. “Boys, you stop this right now!” 
 
 
“I’m only a failure because you would never let me better than you. You always wanted to take every good thing from me. Remember Tiffany, Wooyoung? You had to take her from me as well.”
 
 
“Tiffany? Who is Tiffany?” Taeyeon suddenly asks, trying to break through the argument. She turns her head to find that Wooyoung is too busy to give her a response, ignoring her as if he wouldn’t be able to give her an answer. 
 
 
“Wooyoung never told you about her?” Nichkhun responds sharply, his words slicing through the air around him. “Oh well I guess he’s never told you about her. Tiffany was my girlfriend who Wooyoung decided to mess around with behind my back and slept with her!” 
 
Wooyoung suddenly becomes silent as if he can’t respond to Nichkhun’s accusation. His cheeks grow red in anger and infuriation and it’s as though neither of them care or even realise the rest of us that are sitting at the table. Nowadays, there’s so much tension everywhere I go. I can’t get through one day without witnessing or taking place in an argument. I’m so tired of all of this. Can’t they all just live their lives in peace? Can everyone not get through one day without having to be angry with each other?
 
 
The brothers are stood a few metres apart from each other, their eyes trained on the person in front of them. Their eyes are dark, muscles tense, fists clenched in anger. 
 
 
“She didn’t even like you in the first place. She was just using you to get to me.”
 
 
“And that’s supposed to make me feel better? You don’t sleep with someone while they’re still in a relationship with someone else.”
 
 
The next sequence of actions happens too quickly for me to fully comprehend what is going on. 
 
 
Nichkhun takes a few calm steps forward before his hand moves out towards Wooyoung and pushes his fist against his brother’s body. Wooyoung gasps in pain before he tightens his fist and returns a swift blow against Nichkhun’s face. His lips slowly part as a gash appears upon his lower lip, beads of sweat streaming down his face. But that doesn’t stop them. Further punches fly back and forth, my eyes switching between both men following each action in worry as I have no way to stop them. 
 
 
Wooyoung crouches to stand as Nichkhun lunges towards him once more, his hands tightening around Nichkhun’s throat. Nichkhun’s feet continue to shuffle forward as if he is trying to push Wooyoung off him. His fingernails claw into his brother’s skin, trying to tear through like an animal. I scan over the faces of the others; Taeyeon and Vera appear confused and worried;  Chansung has his head down, hands over his ears as if he’s trying to protect himself; Grandma watches in anticipation for what is going to happen next, her fists held upwards as if she herself is participating in the action. His family is so strange. I wonder if the kids will inherit any of these traits.  
 
 
A large splash breaks me out of my trance. Wooyoung and Nichkhun are no longer in sight and everyone else has disappeared from the table. I stand up, clueless to what is going on as I spot the others crowding by the pool. Interested, I peer over Taeyeon’s shoulder to find the brothers in the centre of the pool, continuing to claw at each other’s faces while a maid rushes inside to find some towels. 
 
 
“Will you two stop already?” Vera yells at her sons, the tears building at the rims of her eyes. “I am so disappointed in the two of you,” she dabs at the moisture on her cheeks as she flees from the scene. 
 
The two slowly release each other from their grips, mumbling a few words underneath their breaths while staring into the direction that their mother had left in. They struggle to swim to the side of the pool and lift themselves out of the water, the water dripping from their hair and suits. Taeyeon and I watch with our arms crossed and we can tell from the apologetic expressions on their faces that they understand how disappointed we are with their actions. They are both grown men and fighting with each other was inappropriate on so many levels.
 
 
….
 
 
“Will you stop looking at me like that? I already said I was sorry, okay?” 
 
 
Nichkhun lowers his head as if he’s trying to avoid my eyes; my strong glare is burning holes through him. A towel is draped over his shoulders, his hair still moist from the water of the swimming pool. He lifts the mug to his lips as he takes a sip of his coffee, occasionally directing his eyes across the room as Wooyoung and Taeyeon sit opposite. 
 
 
Chansung had been sent to his room in order to avoid him watching his family argue any longer. Grandma had also retreated upstairs for a nap after all the excitement at lunch. Their mother hadn’t yet returned after what had happened earlier. It was like they had purposely tried to tear their family apart. 
 
 
I slapped him across the back of his head. “Sorry isn’t enough. Your behaviour was completely inappropriate and you hurt your mother’s feelings.” I feel like I’m punishing a child by saying this but they were acting like children. “Violence isn’t the way to deal with the problems that you both have with each other. Can’t you both just talk to each other like adults?”
 
 
“He’s the one who started it,” Nichkhun points his finger at Wooyoung, his lips moulding into a sulky pout. Yep, he’s definitely acting like a child. What am I supposed to do if we run into issues like this when the twins have grown up when their father acts exactly the same? It’s like I would have to take care of three children. 
 
 
“We don’t care who started it. Both of you played a part in this and now you’ve hurt your mother’s feelings,” Taeyeon responded assertively, just like a true parent would. She sends them both a look of dissatisfaction and I can’t help but notice they both cower back in fear. I have to admit Taeyeon does look scary - her eyebrows furrowed in anger, eyes dark. “You should both try to apologise to each other for everything and try to leave the past behind.”
 
 
Wooyoung and Nichkhun share a look of discomfort at her words and I know for fact that neither of them want to admit defeat. They don’t think they have done anything wrong towards each other and I suppose this is probably the most difficult thing that they will have to do. But I agree that it’s necessary to apologise and then try to live on without looking back on what may have happened between them in the past. Yes, maybe Nichkhun has insulted Wooyoung and Wooyoung stole Nichkhun’s girlfriend but they have to get over that now. They’re grown men for Pete’s sake. 
 
I squeezed Nichkhun’s hand, trying to convince him to go first. He sends me a look of annoyance before he turns back and clears his throat. “I’m sorry you’re so jealous of me.” 
 
 
I slap him across the back of his head once again as he winces in pain. It’s so obvious that he meant that seriously but what kind of apology was that.
 
 
“Do it properly!”
 
 
“Do I have to?” Nichkhun asks meekly under his breath. Our eyes meet and he looks back in fear, as if he understands the consequences if he doesn’t.
 
 
A scowl lingers upon his lips as they part once more. “I’m sorry that I insulted you and your wife. I should have tried to be a better brother,” he says through gritted teeth before he heaves a relieved sigh and directs his eyes forward, waiting for Wooyoung to respond. 
 
 
“I’m sorry that I tried to put you down all the time and I also agree that I should have tried to be a better brother to you. I guess this would never have happened if I was a real older brother to you,” Wooyoung replies, receiving a pat on the back from Taeyeon. A smile appears on her and my lips, happy to know that somehow they’re both trying to move on. 
 
 
I turn my head as the shuffling of feet grows audible in the backdrop of the room. Vera walks towards the group of us, relief evident upon her face as she watches both of her sons apologise. I suppose this is a better environment for the twins to enter in, where they would both receive the proper family that they deserve. I want to have the relief of knowing that if anything ever happens to Khun and I then there are people who love and care for them in our absence. This has become quite dramatic, hasn’t it? Oh well, I’m just happy.
 
 
“You should probably hug now,” I suggest as I lounge back into the comfort of the couch. Their heads turn immediately in our direction as they both look at me as if I’m speaking nonsense. “I guess not.”
 
 
“Maybe you should both spend some time with each other, as a way of making up for what happened,” Taeyeon suggests as she sips the contents of her mug, lounging back in the same way that I am. “You could go camping.”
 
 
“Oh my god! That would be so cute. The two of you camping together camping like real brothers would,” I reply in excitement. My eyes close and I can just picture the two of them pitching a tent and going canoeing and fishing. It would be nice to see the two of them relaxed while in each other’s company.
 
 
“I don’t want to be rude but I don’t really want to be stuck alone with Khun,” Wooyoung intervenes and just like that, my thought clouds drift away. No pitching a tent. No canoeing or fishing. Well thank you, Wooyoung for breaking my dreams.
 
 
“You could take your dad and Chansung with you. Maybe a few of your friends,” Taeyeon suggests once again, saving the day. Well, she’s quite full of ideas, isn’t she? I guess her idea of taking more people is probably better. The two of them would have killed each other if it had been just the two of them. My thought clouds show images of them trying to push the other into the lake and holding knives to each other’s throat. I don’t really want Khun to come back dead.
 
 
“Do you want to?” Wooyoung asks, turning to Nichkhun.
 
 
“We probably should go otherwise our women will kill us.”
 
 
“I guess that’s a plan then.”
 
 

Hi everyone. I'm back. I'm so super sorry that I took so long to update. I had my exams and then afterwards I was too lazy and had writer's block. I realise that I better just try and get this story finished since I'm dragging it on for too long. I want to say that it will be finished by the end of next week but knowing what I'm like, it's probably not. On the bright side, there are only two chapters left, if I manage to finish it right. I plan on finishing my current stories before I can get onto the new ones i've been planning.

Oh, before I forget, thank you to all the subscribers that have been waiting for this story. God bless you all.

Well, thanks for reading and take care because I care and love you all,

love from coolgirlaamy