Understanding

His Story, Her Story... Their Story

 

“I don’t think it’s the best idea for you to go in there right now. He seems pretty busy,” a faint voice breaks through the silence of our surroundings. 
 
 
My eyes tear away from the files on my desk as my head lifts, searching for the voice. It has been an eerily quiet day today. No one has bothered to say anything to me, like they are ignoring me or they have left me alone in the office while they take a day off. I assume that there should be silence if everyone is doing their job properly - but that is a rare situation here. The watch on my wrist solemnly announces that its 1:12pm as the ticking drones on and on into the distance, my eyes switching back and forth for any sign of human life around me. 
 
 
Am I unapproachable? Is that what this is? Is that why no one will say anything to me? I swear, since I got involved with Victoria, I have been more open and friendly with everyone. But if that’s the case, why are they avoiding me? Even my mannerisms around the boss have improved to the extent that he’s considering me for a promotion. Score 1 for Nichkhun. I guess behind every arrogant and pompous attitude, there is someone who can do well for themselves in the world. 
 
 
“Busy? Nichkhun Horvejkul is busy? That’s a surprise. Look, I need to talk to him right now and it’s very important. So please let me through to talk to him,” a feminine voice replies as there is some shuffling in the backdrop. The disgruntled groan of a man echoes in the surrounding air as my ears prick up at the sound of more voices. So, they are not ignoring me after all. Is it my birthday? Maybe someone has planned a surprise party. Wait, that isn’t possible. My birthday isn’t for another few months. 
 
 
I wait patiently for the approaching company, skimming hastily through a stack of papers to make it appear as though I was the sophisticated businessman that I wanted to be. My hands smooth down the creases of my suit, quickly adjusting my tie as footsteps click upon the vinyl floors. I don’t know why I am making this such a big deal - it’s probably nothing. But the prospect of someone wanting to see me after all of this time being alone seems quite exciting and strange. God, I have got to get a life. 
 
 
Distaste washes over my face as I catch a sight of her. The doors handle creaks within her grip as Yoona steps into my office, a curious Taecyeon following closely behind her. Why on earth would Yoona have a reason to come and meet me? Not that I have anything against her, she is the sister of my girlfriend/baby’s mother, but there is always so much tension in the air when the pair of us are together. To me, she seems really intimidating and threatening. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that she threatened to hurt me if I did anything to hurt Victoria. I wouldn’t dare to do that anyway since Victoria herself can be frightening when she is angry - but seriously, you can’t threaten people. That’s just wrong.
 
 
“See, I told you that he couldn’t be busy,” Yoona briefly turns to Taecyeon, a smile lingering upon her lips as if she seems satisfied by the situation. He merely nods in response, his eyes switching to meet mine as Yoona strolls forward and blocks the perfect view that I have out the window. 
 
 
“Actually, I was quite busy before you interrupted me. What do you want?” I state, turning my head until she is no longer in my line of sight. It isn’t until I finish speaking that I realise how rude I must have came across to her. If she tells Vic, I’m going to be in trouble…That actually sounds so pathetic. I should be the man in our relationship…and that just makes me sound even more pathetic. 
 
 
“I’m not going to take up too much of your time, don’t worry,” Yoona pauses, lifting her bag onto my desk as she rummages through the various objects that she has stored in there. Taecyeon and I exchange questioning glances as she pulls out a selection of things, her eyes widening as one comes into view. The tips of her fingers tightly grip the card as she holds it forward and hands it into my grasp. “We were planning to have a baby shower for Vic and I just wanted you to know. It’s a surprise so if she asks any questions, try to keep her from finding out, okay? Don’t ruin the surprise, I trust you with this task,” she quickly explains, lowering her head as all of her breath escapes from her. 
 
 
My eyebrow lifts in confusion at her words. Was that all she had come to talk to me about? I mean, she could have just called. They’re having a party and all they want me to do is help keep it a surprise. The fact that she had to come all the way to my office to tell me that was a waste of both her and my time. 
 
 
“Is that all you had to come here and tell me?”
 
 
“Oh and we need you and Taecyeon to help with the decorations before it starts. Yuri and Sulli said they would distract her while we are setting up,” she lifts her hand and runs her fingers through the slightly dishevelled strands of her hair. Her face becomes blank, her eyes squeezed shut, as if she is trying to remember anything else she had to mention. “You could have made it a lot easier to help me find a present by finding out the gender of the baby. Do you know how hard it is to find a gift that could be for a boy or girl? I had to leave so many cute dresses behind because the two of you didn’t want to find out the gender.”
 
 
I heave a deep sigh in response, “Blame your sister. She said she didn’t want to find out the genders until the twins are born so I understand your pain.” A brief laugh escapes from my lips as I reminisce our appointment a few weeks earlier. The doctor had offered to uncover the gender of our twins but Victoria and I had found ourselves arguing whether or not to accept the offer. Meanwhile, the doctor tried to sneak out of the room because of the growing tension inside. 
 
 
Yoona stifles a low giggle. Her eyes switch back and forth between Taecyeon and I, her lips parted as if she wants to say something but doesn’t know what. Since the birthday party, her relationship with Taecyeon had been mended and they tried to forget anything that happened during their brief break-up. Victoria was overjoyed with the news but threatened that if Taecyeon hurt Yoona again, he wouldn’t come out alive. I guess the threats are some sort of a family thing. Since their dad is no longer able to do so, they take it upon themselves to make sure that their sister is safe and happy. 
 
 
“We better get going if we’re going to make our lunch reservation on time,” Taecyeon presses his hand on Yoona’s back in his attempt to usher her out of my office. He briefly lifts his head and directs his eyes over me, “I’ll see you later, Khun.” 
 
 
My hand lifts itself from the desk as I wave my hand in acknowledgement. And I’ve just been left alone again. I guess I better schedule the baby shower into my phone in case I forget. I’m sure I’ll be met with immediate death if I don’t remember - Yoona doesn’t exactly seem like the forgiving type. Well, at least I have something to look forward to now.
 
 
******
 
1 week later…
 
“Move that to the left. No Nichkhun, your other left. A little more. Keep going. That’s it! Hang the banner there,” Yoona dictates.
 
 
She paces herself backwards and nods approvingly at the position of the ‘Congratulation’ banner within my grip. That better be where she wants to keep it because I can’t be bothered moving it again. I swear my arm will fall off if I have to hold it up any longer, a numbing pain running across the muscles. She has had us working non-stop since we arrived earlier that morning, hanging banners, moving tables and chairs. Sure I go to the gym and I am perfectly capable of doing tasks like this but you reach a state where you just can’t do anything anymore.
 
 
I sigh in relief as my arm drops to my side, carefully stepping off the ladder as the sparkles glisten in the oncoming sunlight. My hand reaches for the bottle of water as I sink into the couch. Grandma, who is sitting at my side, has dozed off to sleep, the incessant sounds of her breathing disturbing my ears. She sleeps for over 10 hours a night and still finds herself becoming tired everywhere she goes. I took her shopping for a gift the other day and all she could do was complain that she was too tired to walk any longer so I was left with the task of dragging her back to the car. I deserve a prize for being the best grandson that has ever existed after having to deal with Grandma. 
 
 
“Nu-uh, get up! We still have a lot more to do before the party starts,” Yoona suddenly appears by my side, clapping her hands just as I started to relax. Taecyeon’s annoyed groan echoes in the backdrop as she drags him out of his chair, ready with another decorating job. 
 
 
We exchange a worried glance as he shuffles his feet forward until we are next to each other. I can see from the expression on his face that he isn’t exactly pleased with the situation, just as I am. But I guess we have some sort of obligation to do this. He’s Yoona’s boyfriend so of course if she asks him to do something he has a moral obligation as her boyfriend to do it. Meanwhile, I’m Vic’s…wait, what am I to Vic? Would I have the status of being her boyfriend? Or am I just the guy who got her pregnant and now has to deal with the issues that come from that? I suppose I’m both. Sure I love her, but I don’t know if we would really have a future together as a couple. 
 
 
“Where’s Heechul? Why isn’t he doing anything to help?” Taecyeon asks as he scans his eyes over the faces of the other people in the room in search of him. He isn’t anywhere to be seen, invisible within our line of sight. I’m sure I saw him about two hours ago but after, he just disappeared and I had no idea where he was. 
 
 
“Heechul? Oh, he went out to the bakery to pick up a cake and a few other things I needed,” she briefly pauses as a look of understanding comes over her face. “I know this must be hard for you two but I swear we don’t have much left to do.”
 
 
“No, you don’t know. I’m exhausted,” I complain, heaving a deep sigh as I bend over my knees. 
 
 
“And I’m sorry, but can we please get this done. I swear I will leave you alone if you help me get this finished,” she sends a reassuring glance in our direction as she lifts the box from her ground and passes it into my grip. 
 
 
My eyes immediately switch to see the contents of the box as distaste washes over me. Balloons? She wants me to blow balloons? Sure, three or four would be okay, but a whole boxful? She sure is pushing me to my limit. Yoona should be lucky that she’s Victoria’s sister otherwise I would have left hours ago, I think as my eyes squeeze shut. Taecyeon grabs a handful out and starts to heave his breath into them.
 
 
******
 
 
“Sulli, Yuri, as much as I love spending time with you guys, can we please go back to the apartment? It’s a joke trying to shop for clothes that fit me,” I complain, gesturing the large bump in front of me. 
 
 
I was already uncomfortable with my large size already that shopping for clothes just made everything so much worse. Sure, it’s nice to go shopping when you are of a normal size and you can find an outfit that flatters your figure, but when you’re pregnant, that’s not the case. And I’m starting to grow very self conscious as my eyes scan over the thin models that are able to flaunt beautiful dresses because they can fit into them and I can’t.
 
 
They exchange a confused and worried glance with each other, as if they are trying to say something but they can’t do it in front of me. Yuri presses the tip of her index finger on her watch as Sulli shrugs her shoulders, her phone lighting up as she checks the screen. 
 
 
“Are you sure? I know the cutest little boutique around here that has the most adorable baby clothes. Why don’t we go there?” Yuri immediately suggests with a hint of urgency within her voice. What is it with the two of them today? They both look like they are trying to hide something from me which is why they won’t let me go back. It’s not my birthday. It’s not either of their birthdays. Great. Now I’m dying to know what it is.
 
 
“That sounds nice…but I’ll pass. I didn’t want to know the babies’ genders so I can’t exactly by them clothes yet,” I explain in reply to her suggestion. Yuri wrinkles her nose in annoyance as her face goes blank. Sulli, meanwhile, is switching her eyes back and forth as if she is looking for something to do. 
 
 
“Why don’t we go sit down at that café over there for a while?” Sulli suggests after a moments silence. “My, uh, my feet are tired so we should get some rest,” she grabs my wrist and forcefully drags me along the street, Yuri following closely behind.
 
 
Once we are there, Sulli scurries over to the counter to buy something while I sink into the comfort of my seat. I lift my head as Yuri comes into my line of sight, slowly shuffling towards the table as her eyes lock onto the screen of her phone. My eyes scan over her face but I can’t really tell what she is thinking. She looks tired but also worried, not to forget confused. I wonder what’s wrong which makes me even more suspicious. Does she and Sulli have some kind of guy in the apartment that they are trying to hide from me or something? Maybe she has a boyfriend and doesn’t know how to tell us. 
 
 
“Yul, are you okay? Having boy troubles or something?” I ask as she drags the seat across the floor, the screeching disturbing my ears. 
 
 
Her head shoots up, confusion coming over her face. She raises her eyebrow, her eyes widening as if she can’t really understand what I’m asking. “Why do you ask?”
 
 
“You just seem a little occupied, that’s all. And you’ve been acting a little strange all day,” I cautiously reply, hoping she hasn’t misunderstood my words.
 
 
“I’m fine. And there are no boy troubles either,” she answers, tilting her head to the side as she searches for Sulli who is stuck in the growing line of customers waiting to be served. 
 
 
Yuri, compared to the rest of us, isn’t in a steady relationship. Sure, she has had a fair number of flings with handsome guys in the past, but it never became very serious. Now that the rest of us, excluding Heechul, have found someone who we could potentially settle down with, I’m worried that she feels a bit left off. I remember a few conversations that we’ve had in the past where we have talked about our boyfriends and she sat in the corner without anything to say. I heard that she did go on a date a few days ago but apparently it never worked out. And I assume on her part, it’s an uncomfortable situation to have all of your friends dating but you’re not. Note to self, help Yuri find a boyfriend.
 
 
As I return to reality and Sulli remains stuck behind a group of high school students, my eyes scan over the surrounding faces, perhaps to find someone that I recognise. Yuri doesn’t seem completely happy to make conversation at that moment and I’m dying from boredom, no offence to her. I notice an elderly couple exchanging some sweet talk at the table next to ours, a toddler crying that her toy is broken and nothing else but couples with the exception of one girl sipping her beverage at the corner of the room. Her head lifts just as I see her, our eyes locking with each others as we exchange awkward glances. She seems unusually familiar, but I can’t quite put a name to her face. Is she important to me? Where do I know her from?
 
 
She lifts herself out of the seat, her footsteps clicking along the vinyl floor as she strides forward in our direction. Her tousled, blonde waves flow past her shoulders as she sweeps strands of hair from her face, capturing the attention of each man as she walks past them. I’m sure we can’t possibly now each other, thinking she is going to walk straight past our table. But she doesn’t. She pauses by my side briefly before she settles into the seat next to me, Yuri lifting her head in confusion at the situation. 
 
 
“Victoria, nice to meet you again. You are Victoria, right? Nichkhun’s new girlfriend?” she asks a hint of curiosity hiding in her tone. How does she know that? And how on earth would she know Khunnie? 
 
 
“Excuse me, but who are you?” Yuri blurts out before I am able to ask that myself. Maybe she’s one of his cousins that we met in Paris. I mean, how else would she know me if she wasn’t? I think, hoping that she isn’t someone else to him.
 
 
A giggle escapes from her crimson lips as they briefly part. Her eyes briefly meet mine again, as if she wants me to guess her identity but I just don’t know who she is. “Don’t you remember me, Victoria? I’m Nichkhun’s ex-girlfriend, Nana. We met a few months ago.”
 
 
I mentally slapped myself across the face. How could I forget something like that? I found myself becoming so jealous about her the last time we met that I had to question my relationship with Nichkhun. People don’t forget things like that. And why is she here? Is she going to try to ruin my relationship with him? Does she want him back so she has to get rid of me first? The fact that she’s here is just killing me inside.
 
 
“I’ve wanted to talk to you for a while about him but I haven’t had the chance. He’s probably not what you think he is Victoria,” she briefly explains, leaning forward as if she’s trying to avoid anyone else from hearing her words. 
 
 
“What do you mean? I’m sure I know what he is,” I ask, somewhat curious to hear what she has to say next though I don’t know whether or not it is true. For all I know she is lying to me, putting things into my head so I won’t trust him anymore.
 
 
She pauses briefly, a blankness coming over her face as she struggles with what to say, “I’m sure at this point, you both are so in love with each other and everything is going perfectly,” I nod my head in response, “ I mean, you’re pregnant and you think that he is going to be the best father for your kids. I’m sure you believe you’re going to have your happily ever after. But it’s not going to happen. And I don‘t want you to get hurt when that happens.
 
 
“Look Nana, what makes you think that I will believe you? For all I know, you are lying to me,” I explain in the most polite way as I possibly can. But as I think over my words after, I can’t help but feel that I have come off very rude. Yes, she could be lying but there is a chance that what she is saying is true. Maybe she doesn’t want to get back with Nichkhun but wants to warn me about what lies in my future. 
 
 
She pouts her lips as she lowers her head, rummaging through the bag which hung from her shoulder. A smile of satisfaction curls at her lips as she pulls out a piece of paper. Her eyes scan over it before her hand reaches out towards me and she hands it into my grip. It’s a picture. Nichkhun has his hand around her waist, his head leaning in towards hers as they flash a smile to the camera. Why did she give me this? Is she trying to prove to me that they were actually in a relationship or something?
 
 
“That was taken in Paris, a few weeks before he decided to break up with me. We were about 23 at the time,” she briefly explains as Yuri leans forward to see the item in my hands, Sulli strolling towards us from the backdrop. “A few weeks later we went out for dinner. I suggested what would happen to us in the future. I said I wanted to get married to him after a few years - I was in love with him after all,” her eyes sparkle as she travels back to her past. 
 
 
“What did he say?” Yuri blurted out before I was able to ask that myself. Sulli settles into the chair at Yuri’s side, her brow raised questioningly at the appearance of the stranger that we were treating like a close friend. By this point, I’m anticipating her next answer. Why does she say Nichkhun will hurt me if she loved him and they were going to get married? The wait is killing me.
 
 
“He told me that he would never settle down, that he didn’t want any commitment. He was treating me as if I wasn’t worth anything to him anymore, as if I was some kind of fling that he could break when he got sick of me just because I wanted a future with him. I threatened to break up with him and he decided to that himself. Our whole relationship was broken just because I wanted to marry him. He never said anything or saw me again until that day a few months ago,” a single tear slid down her cheek, other tears threatening to fall from her eyes as if the pain of their break-up had suddenly returned to her during her reminiscence. 
 
 
With each word, I felt my trust for him break into pieces. Sure, she could be lying, but the emotions on her face and the pain in her words prove that something did happen between them caused by him. She loved him, she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him but he didn’t want any of that. Of course, he could have said that he needed time to think about it, but he didn’t. He threw her away like she was trash and didn’t want anything to do with her after it. What if that was going to happen to me? What if I told him we should get married? Would he throw me away just like he did to Nana?
 
 
…..
 
 
“You should talk to him about it. Maybe things have changed. You can’t break-up with him just because of what she said,” Sulli suggests as we reach the apartment, slowly shuffling our feet forward to the door in our state of exhaustion. I nod my head in agreement with the motive of speaking to him in private as soon as I get back home. The whole conversation and situation just caused a depression within me that I would just like to get some rest, lie on the couch and eat ice-cream to my hearts content.
 
 
My hand settles on the door handle as my key jams inside. There is an annoying creaking sound as I twist the handle in my hand, shoving the door open. But instead of the familiar surroundings and furniture, I am met with a party paradise. Streamers and balloons are strewn across the floor in colours of blues and pinks. A banner hangs from wall to wall above the window, the sparkling letters reading ‘Baby Shower!”. They have to be kidding me.
 
 
Before I can prepare myself for what is to come next, groups of friends appear from nowhere, shouting ‘Surprise’ in synchronisation. A sudden blankness comes over my face, unable to distinguish different people from each other as my head switches back and forth, searching for a way out. Yoona…she couldn’t have…she did. Seriously, she planned me a baby shower? What was the need for that? I swear she is in so much trouble right now. I’m not even dressed right for something like this, though it does explain why Yuri and Sulli were dragging me around with them. 
 
 
Yoona strolls towards me from the other side of the room with a party hat in her hands. A smile lingers at her lips as her dress swishes from side to side with each step. I have to admit, she does look pretty so I can’t really kill her right now. She pauses right in front of me, her eyes scanning over my distraught and depressed face in confusion. Her lips part but she doesn’t say a single word, as if she can’t really understand what is wrong with me so she thinks it’s better if she doesn’t say anything.
 
 
“What’s wrong, Vic? Are you okay?” she finally asks as she briefly scans her eyes over the other people in the room. She’s worried about me, I can tell, but I don’t ruin the whole party by sending her off in a furious rage after Nichkhun after she hears what happened. That will just make everything worse than it already is. Think Victoria, think. What are you going to do and what are you going to tell her.
 
 
I force myself to curl my lips into a smile, lifting my head until our eyes can meet clearly. “I’m fine, Yoong. I guess I’m just really surprised and thankful. You planned this all for me?” I reply in my attempt to lighten the situation. 
 
 
“Well, of course, you’re my only sister. And I felt bad after ruining all the effort you put in after my birthday party. So just relax and enjoy yourself,” she wraps her arm around my shoulder, her guilt of what happened a few weeks earlier evident beneath her voice. 
 
 
Yoona escorts me towards the rest of the group as my eyes sparkle in excitement, trying to leave the past hour behind. Friends come forward with congratulatory messages prepared, questions about how long it will be before the twins are due and other questions of the like. I can’t help but enjoy being the centre of attention. I assume that’s just my ego talking but to have everyone sending me well-wishes and asking me questions makes me think that there are a lot of people out there who care about me - close friends, friends that I haven’t seen for years but still care nonetheless - it’s nice.
 
 
My stomach starts to grumble as I take a selection of food from the table, digging my teeth into them without a care of what anyone would have to say about me. I settle into the seat next to Grandma, sinking into the comfort of the couch as she gives her opinion about men these days. I actually really admire Grandma. She’s fearless, she doesn’t care about what anyone says about her and she has no trouble in saying her opinion about anyone, though at some points it might seem rude and obscure. She has done a lot of things in her life - even to the point where she had a crush on Heechul. Grandma does still like him but after the embarrassment of finding out that he was gay, she tries to avoid him whenever possible. 
 
 
“Hey! I was eating that!” I shout as Yoona snatches my plate from me, taking advantage of my dazed state. I really have to stop doing that. Who knows what people have done to me as I delve into the land of my thoughts? Oh my god, I’m doing it again. I shake my head as laughter starts around me.
 
 
“It’s time to open some presents,” she replies as the others crowd around me. 
 
 
One by one, presents are stacked into a pile in front of me, ranging in different sizes. Well at least I will now have some baby stuff without having to pay for it. Oh, that makes me sound stingy. I hope this isn’t one of those moments when you say something out loud that you weren’t supposed to. I lift my head briefly and scan my eyes over the others in the room. They don’t seem to have heard anything. 
   
 
……
 
 
 
“Aww, these are so adorable,” Grandma coos as she lowers the box in her hands. Her hands delve into her pockets as she fishes for her keys into the apartment.
 
 
The corners of my lips turn upwards at the sight of one of the presents inside, lifting out a cute bear with ‘Baby’s first bear’ imprinted on the inside, courtesy of Sooyoung. Looking at these baby items really brings out that excitement, that motherly feeling within me that I haven’t really had yet. It makes the whole prospect of being pregnant feel great. I mean, I finally realise now that I’m swarmed by all of this stuff that I’m going to be a mom with twins soon and it is the best thing that god has ever given me. 
 
 
My friends were more than generous with their gifts from toys and clothes to daily necessities to help care for them. I honestly think that I am more than prepared for their births now, except for the fact that the apartment has to be adapted for their arrival. I swear that place is a death trap. The number of times I have almost had an accident is unbelievable. There are too many sharp objects all over the place. That is seriously not a safe place to raise children.
 
“I wouldn’t want to rush you or anything Grandma but I’m kind of tired so can you please open the door?” I ask impatiently as I tap my foot against the marbled floor. The incessant sounds echo in the distant air as I wait for a reply, glancing over Grandma’s shoulder to find some reason about what is going on. Her distaste is evident upon her face as she lifts each object out of her bag and places them on the ground by her side. 
 
 
“I can’t find my keys,” she replies monotonously as I raise my eyebrow in curiosity. If that was the case, why didn’t she just knock on the door? I think as I lean forward and press my fist against the coolness of the door. 
 
 
“No, you can’t do that!” her voice escapes from her in a hushed scream as she clasps her hand over mines to refrain me from knocking again. I turn towards her as confusion washes over me, questioning why she has such issues with asking Nichkhun to open the door. Her eyes switch back and forth as if she is searching for something before her lips part once more. “Nichkhun can’t find out I lost my keys. He always tells me to remember my keys like I’m so old that I can’t do that myself. If he thinks I can’t take care of my keys then he’ll think that I won’t be able to take care of myself properly and then he’ll send me to an old people’s home.”
 
 
“What is going on out there? I’ve heard you talking for the past 10 minutes but you didn’t come in,” his deep baritone voice asks as he yanks the door open. His eyebrows furrow in confusion at the sight of us, his eyes questioning what is going on as he steps out of the apartment
 
 
My hands lifts to brush the strands of hair from my face as my body unconsciously moves forward. From the corner of my eye, the worry on her face is visible but despite Nichkhun’s curious glances, she rushes past him and enters the apartment the fastest I have ever seen her. She really is worried about the prospect of having to enter an elderly home, isn’t she? I don’t really understand how losing your keys automatically defines you as being incompetent, but she knows that the older she becomes, the less likely her family will want to care for her. 
 
 
“How was the party?” my attention is restored as his voice breaks me out of my trance. He leans down, his hands pressed against the sides of the box as he lifts it up, the strain in his muscles evident. His dark hair has been sleeked back, damp as if he’s just had a shower as his sweet scent enters my nostrils. He always looks great when he’s just came out of a shower, so handsome and delectable. 
 
 
“It was nice.” I simply reply as I follow him inside. My eyes scan over our surroundings, everything neatly placed in the correct place, unlike how it usually is when I come back. It’s clean, too clean. I wonder if he did things like this for Nana when they were together. 
 
 
Uh, why did I have to do that? The sound of her name immediately brings the conversation from earlier flooding back to me. My smile is immediately replaced with a sullen look of disgust, sadness and distrust. Her words echo in my mind, making me wonder if she was right. Maybe this is just an act that he is playing before he can get rid of me right as the commitment is mentioned, when our twins are born. Will he leave me behind when I am giving birth because he doesn’t want to be tied down with me for the rest of his life? What if I want to get married, will he break-up with me then?
 
 
Before I am able to think over my next words, they escape from my lips in the midst of my confusion about him. “What happened between you and Nana? Why did the two of you break-up?”
 
 
His head immediately turns towards me, cautiousness and confusion within his eyes before a sudden blankness comes over his face. I suppose he never thought this conversation would arise between us. Even if she had never told me I would have found out somehow. “She’s told you about that, should I guess? What did she tell you so far?” he calmly responds without answering my initial questions. I hate it when people do that. Why won’t he just answer me?
 
 
“You broke up with her because you didn’t want any commitment. The two of you had been together for so long but then you threw her away without any thoughts about it. Is that what you’re going to do to me, Nichkhun? What if I wanted us to get married? Will you get rid of me too and just move on?” My voice raises until I am shouting at him. His eyes widen which proves he’s shocked by my words. I suppose it’s better to get this over with before I get hurt in the future. He can’t expect me to stay with him if that’s what he will potentially do to me. 
 
 
Nichkhun heaves a deep sigh as he paces himself a few steps forward. His fingers trace along clock of his watch as his head is held down until I can no longer tell the expressions on his face. My eyes focus on his hand as vibrations run along his arm until his hand is shaking. He’s nervous; a single bead of sweat streaming down his face as he slowly lifts his head, our eyes meeting as his lips part, nothing but a hushed breath escaping from them. 
 
 
“I thought I was too young. At that point I didn’t want to be tied on to anyone for the rest of my life. I was a player. If I loved her, it probably would have been different but that was what fate planned…During our relationship, I thought I did love her but when I think back on it, I had attraction and little affection towards her,” he explains slowly, exhaling a cool breath once his words have been spoken. 
 
 
“But what if you don’t want to be with me in the future. I…I don’t want to suffer from being hurt because of you,” there is still a doubt within me, part of me thinking that he is lying and what he has said isn’t true. I force myself to hold back the oncoming tears as I watch him from the corner of my eye.
 
 
“I don’t know what will happen to us in the future, Vic. Fate decides what we will do but I know that I love you more than I could ever have loved her.”
 
 
A single tear streams down my face as he walks forward. In a brief moment, his arms wrap around me, securing me within his embrace as if he wants me to understand how he truly feels. I can feel the love and happiness radiate from him as we cling together. Neither of us have to say anything to finish the conversation. No words can describe the emotions I felt from him, the love that has grown between us in our time together and I realise that he is right. Fate decides what happens to everyone. Fate broke his relationship with Nana and in time, it put the pair of us together because fate thought that was the right thing to do. 
 
 
“I love you,” he spoke in a gentle whisper.
 
 
“I love you too.”
 
 

Hi everyone! Sorry for the wait. As per usual, I was really busy and despite trying my best to finish this chapter, it wasn't really working for me. I'm not very content with this chapter, I feel like in some places it's too rushed but I really wanted to get this finished and posted before I made you all wait any longer. This story is nearing the end so I will try my best to finish before Final Exams but I doubt it. 

Thanks for reading and take care because I care,

love from coolgirlaamy xxx