To Tell the Truth

His Story, Her Story... Their Story

 

 

That same feeling kept me awake and I couldn’t sleep all night or on the flight back. I’ll tell her the truth when the time is right but I have no idea when that is.

 

One week later…

Life is completely normal in Seoul. Work is okay, I am well and my life is on track. What more can I ask for?

There is one problem – Victoria and I have been avoiding each other recently. There is hardly ever a moment where she will speak to me. Answers are vague and she seems pretty depressed. I’m hoping it has nothing to do with me. but I’m sure there is a possibility that I have to blame.

“You’ve got to see the doctor in a few days to get a scan. I’ll come with you if you want,” I say as I lift my coffee mug and walk over to where Victoria is sitting. Her eyes look up at me strangely, implying that she is finding the conversation slightly awkward, before turning back to the book she is reading so that she has an excuse to ignore me.

“Hmm, yeah,” she mumbles in response. See, that’s all I get! Only a yeah, no or maybe answer. Uh, what have I done to deserve this?

I stomp off to my study, grabbing my laptop in the process. I’ll just give her some peace and quiet since she doesn’t want to spend time with me. I decide to watch a movie to pass the time, unknowingly falling asleep in the process.

A few hours later, I wake up to find myself sprawled over the couch in a completely awkward position. The sound of consistent banging of the door fills my ears and could be heard from miles away. Why won’t Victoria answer the door?

I rise from the couch and go to the front door with no sight of Victoria anywhere near. I open the door slowly, hoping it isn’t some unwanted visitor.

“Nichkhun deary, what took you so long? I have been knocking for ages. I’m completely exhausted and my grandson won’t even let me through the door,” my grandmother says as she holds me in a tight embrace, coming very close to strangling me.

She makes her way through to the living room and sits on the sofa, resting her head on one of the cushions.

“Grandma, great to see you. What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in my parent’s house or something?” I ask quite rudely. It isn’t like I don’t enjoy her company but in my current situation with Victoria, I’d rather sort things out with her first before she meets my grandma. Where has Victoria gone anyway?

 “You know how I hate your parent’s mansion. I love the city so while I stay in Seoul, I’d rather stay with you. We can have some fun; go out clubbing; shop till we drop; meet some nice people,” she answers, nudging me in the ribs with her elbow, causing me to feel quite painful. Eww, that’s so gross. What kind of grandmother would say that? Well mine would.

Ever since my grandmother and grandfather got divorced, grandma has been living her life the way she always wanted. She’s toured the world, participated in Extreme Sports and to my horror, dated younger men.

 I tend to think of her as my more normal grandmother since she is from my mom’s side of the family who aren’t rich and posh like my dad’s side. That view changes every time we see each other again.

“So you’ll be staying with me? How lovely!” I lie, trying to make it seem as authentic as possible.

 

Victoria’s POV

It’s midnight when I arrive back at the apartment. I know I shouldn’t have been out this late but it’s important to sort everything out.

I wipe the remaining tears from my eyes as I sneakily open the door and creep inside. I probably should get some vitamin pills before I got to sleep.

The rooms are all pitch-black. I’m tempted to turn the lights on but doing so will wake Nichkhun. I try my best to see without the help of any light but I continually bump into counters, walls and doors.

“Where has he put them?” I whispers as I look through the cupboards without any sight of them. “OW!” my forehead collides with the cupboard door. I wince in pain as I massage my forehead.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of footsteps behind me. They come closer and closer, steadily making their way over. I only just realised that I left the front door open. I could have let any creep inside. What if it’s a kidnapper or a robber? God, I’m so stupid sometimes!

I lifted the frying pan, holding it close to myself for use as a weapon. If this robber thinks he can steal anything, I will prove I have the upper-hand.

I step backwards only to collide into something. I hear a switch and the room is suddenly lit.

“Who are you and what are you doing here?” shouts a shrill voice that I don’t recognise. I turn slowly to see an old lady staring at me, ready to swing the baseball bat in her hands. Who is this lady and why is she here?

“I live here. Why are you here? Don’t hit me!” I shriek- the tone of my voice scared and frightened. We circle each other, our strange weapons still used for defence.

“What is going on down here? Why are you screaming grandma?” Nichkhun asks as he walks into the room, his eyes widening in shock when he sees us. Omo, that’s his grandma! Why didn’t he tell me she was coming? I’ve made such a bad first impression.

“I heard strange sounds so I came down to see her in the kitchen. Who is she?” his grandma ask. Khun lets out a laugh in response.

“Grandma, this is Victoria. She’s my friend who stays here since I got her pregnant,” he says clearly. His grandma nods her head understandingly. Huh, I never thought it would have been that easy for him to say. I expected a long explanation.

“It’s nice to meet you. Sorry for screaming when I saw you,” I bow in respect.

“It’s okay deary. I shouted at you also. It’s nice to meet you. Nichkhun here has never mentioned you before. Well, I need to get some sleep. Goodnight,” she yawns as she goes off to her room. I’m about to go back to my room, until Nichkhun grabs my arm and hoists me over to him.

“Where have you been? Do you know what time it is? I’ve been worried sick about you. You are 14 weeks pregnant; you can’t just go out this late. Something bad could have happened. Go to bed right now!” he shouts angrily. I didn’t expect him to be that angry. What is he? My father?

“Fine dad,” I reply as I walk along the hallway to the bedroom.

 

The next morning, I wake up to the fresh aroma of food coming from the kitchen. My stomach grumbles, advising me to go get some.

I have the shock of my life when I walk in and see Nichkhun in a bright pink apron, laughing with his grandmother. Hehe, the last time I saw him like that was when we went to Disneyland. The day he told me we were only friends.

I suddenly lose my appetite and my smile. I walk past them and towards my vitamin pills, taking them instead.

“Victoria, you need to try this omelette. I need to get to know you more aswell,” his grandmother said, holding out her a plate for me.

“I don’t really feel like eating anything. I have a headache,” I replied as I shook my head and left the room.

“Are you sure? It’s delicious,” she asks again, trying to convince me to.

“Grandma, don’t you get she doesn’t want any. Just leave her,” Nichkhun cut in.

 

Nichkhun’s POV

Over the next few days, I spend time with grandma instead of Victoria, who spends her time in the bedroom or leaving mysteriously. I can tell she isn’t in a very happy mood so I let her be.

Grandma dragged me out to do fun activities with her. She insisted that I take her to a club, go bungee jumping and a lot more extreme stuff but I didn’t feel like I was enjoying it at all. There was something preventing me from feeling happy or having fun. I tried to smile whenever I was with grandma but they were completely fake.

 

“Khun, I haven’t seen you in ages. How have you been?” Taecyeon asks as he walks into my office on Monday morning. I can tell he is recovering from the flu that his family must have gave him since he continuously sneezes and blows his nose.

“How do you know when a girl is mad at you?” I ask curiously. I know he has more experience with being in a relationship than I do so maybe he can help me out with my problems.

“Why? Is Victoria mad at you or something? What did you do?” he throws questions at me.

“She’s been avoiding me and doesn’t speak to me very much ever since we got back from Paris. She sneaks off when she comes home from work and comes back after midnight. She always looks depressed and sad. I don’t know what’s wrong,” I explain. I feel really worried about her now. What if I’ve done something to hurt her?

“Whoa slow down there. Did you say anything to her when you were in Paris? Did she look upset before you came back?” Taec asks more questions. I try to think back to the day before we left. Did she look upset that day?

“Now that you mention it, she was upset. I told her that I only thought of her as a friend and ever since she lost her smile,” I answer. Does that mean that she thought of me as more of a friend?

“You better not say anything to anyone else, but I overheard Yoona talk with Yuri and say that Victoria had feelings for you. I think she likes you more of a friend. She’s in love with you Khun,” he replies. And I was worried that she didn’t like me that way. That was what she wanted to tell me that day and I was too much of a coward to say the same thing. I’m so stupid. I’m such a heartless . I should have told her my true feelings.

“She must feel even sadder now,” Taec adds.

“What? Why would she have been sad in the first place?” I ask. Now I’m completely confused.

“She didn’t tell you, did she?” he replies.

“Tell me what?” This is killing me here. What did she not tell me?

“Her parents died this day 14 years ago. It’s the death anniversary. Yoona said that they have been planning to visit their graves today. I thought you knew,” he explains.

“I had no idea,” I reply.

I slap my forehead angrily. I told her I didn’t love her at such a sensitive time in her life. I can’t imagine how sad she must be feeling now. I need to set things straight now.

“Thanks Taec. You’re a lifesaver. Not only will you be my kid’s godfather but my best man whenever I get married,” I shout as I run out of the office.

 

 

Victoria’s POV

“Unnie, we’re here,” Yoona says as she drags me towards our parent’s graves. They’re just as we left them, in a secluded part of the cemetery where they can rest peacefully for the rest of time.

I haven’t been here for years. I think the last time was before Yoona left. Before my life got tougher and I didn’t know if I could survive any longer.

I don’t know whether to cry or try to hold a smile. I can’t let Yoona be upset. I don’t want to see her crying or feeling sad.

Even without me shedding any tears, Yoona is already sobbing her eyes out.

I hold her in my arms comfortingly as I sit the flowers down on the graves. Violets- their favourite flower. My father used to tell us stories that he proposed to my mother using violets. they used violets decorated their wedding. Theviolets were also in bloom the day I was born. It became their favourite flower. It signified their love for each other.

I can’t help start to cry too. I shouldn’t try to hold them in any longer. Everyone has to cry at some point in their life. Mommy used to tell me that she cried even when she was happy. It gives us good character.

I miss them so much. I miss the way mommy used to cook for us, or comfort us when we cried or tuck us in when we went to sleep. I miss the way dad used to play with us, or buy us new toys or congratulate us when we did well in school. I miss the way we all sat together in the garden at sunset.

“Unnie, do you think mom and dad are watching us from heaven?” Yoona asks between sobs before bursting out in tears again.

“Of course they are Yoong. They are so proud of you, of us,” I reply, wiping the tears from my eyes.

Yoona goes away to calm down on one of the benches to calm herself down while I stay and keep them company.

“Hi mom. Hi dad. How are you? I hope you’re well wherever you are. I’m sure we’re all very proud of Yoona. She got a degree in marketing after studying in London. Isn’t it great? I never fulfilled my promise to become a doctor and come up with that cure for the disease. The one that killed you. I-I’m so s-so-sorry. P-ple-please forgive m-me,” more tears stream down my face. I fall to my knees in front of their graves, resting my head on the ground.

“It’s okay. I’m sure they’ll understand. They are your parents after all,” a familiar voice says as they wrap their arms around me. I look up to see comfort in his warm eyes.

“I was meant to take you to the doctor today but I heard that you needed to come here first,” Nichkhun explains, before I turn and sob on his shoulder. He wraps me up in his arms and holds me for comfort.

“Do you want to talk about it? People always say you feel better that way?” he asks. I’ve never talked about it with ayone. I have no idea if I can.

“Come on, I’m here for you all the way,” he adds. I better make a try or he’ll never leave me alone.

“They died when I was 13 from a blood disease. They both died one week apart. I had an emotional breakdown. Me and Yoona went to live with our grandparents who died when I was 18. After that I took care of the both of us. Yoona means a lot to me and now she is the only family I have left. I have no one else but her,” I criy, trying to breathe in and out to calm myself down but that doesn’t work. He listens to every word as he pats my back.

 

Nichkhun’s POV

“Yoona isn’t the only family you have left. You have the baby, you have your friends and you have me,” I reply, trying to emphasise the ‘you have me’ part.

“But none of you love me except from Yoona,” she says as tears continued to stream down her face. I hold her closer. Come on Khun! Stop being a coward and tell her how you feel!

“Remember that day we went to Disneyland. When I told you I thought of you only as my friend,” I start, building up more courage.

“What about it?” she asks, looking at me with teary eyes.

“I said that because, I uh erm,” I try to say but the words wouldn’t come out.

“Khun, what are you trying to tell me?” Vic asks sternly.

“I said that because I was too much of a coward to tell you I love you. That’s right Victoria Song; I’m in love with you. I get jealous whenever you spend time with anyone else. I hate it when you don’t talk to me all because I love you,” I finally answer, brushing the tears from her eyes with my thumb.

“I love you too but I couldn’t tell you that since you said you didn’t have feelings for me,” my heart warms up to her words. She does feel the same- just like Taecyeon said.

I hold her for a little longer, knowing that I’m at peace with myself since I told her the way I felt.

“We need to get to the doctor’s in one hour,” I say as I check my watch.

“Let us say one final goodbye,” she says as she goes to fetch Yoona.

“Mom, Dad, we miss you both so much. We know that you are proud of us whatever we do. It’s a shame that you’ll never see the baby or any of your grandkids but we’re sure that you’ll always watch us wherever you are. We love you,” they say, wiping the final tears from their eyes. I feel myself cry too. It’s just so touching.


 

Hi everyone. Here you are. A long chapter. 

Wooh, they confessed. And the story is almost at an end - this is the second last chapter.

Awww, I'm going to miss you all so much. I really loved this story.

PSYCH! I'm only kidding. There is no way the story is over yet. There is still a lot more drama and some kind of cute scenes so I'm only half way, I think.

Well thanks for reading and please comment!

love from coolgirlaamy xxx