Thirty

Unspoken Thoughts

November 8 2008, 20:17, Saturday

 

"Jae....I like Yunho hyung," said Changmin tentatively. "I don't know how, but I just suddenly realized that I like him..."

It shouldn't have been shocking, but I was still surprised. Even though I figured this might happen sooner or later.

I guess I didn't expect it to be this soon. Especially now of all times.

Before I could respond, Changmin started to talk again. "Hyung what do I do? I'm in love with a guy...a guy, not a girl. What does that make me, hyung? I've never liked guys before but now..." At this point, he was shaking and holding onto my shirt tightly, with his head on my chest.

No, don't cry.

"Chan–"

"I want to confess to him, Jae," he interrupted me. "But what if he doesn't swing that way? What if he finds me disgusting? What if he suddenly decides to stop being my friend because I like him that way?"

No, he won't. He won't do that.

But I couldn't find it in me to say the words out loud. My head was still reeling, trying to catch up with everything he was saying.

He loves Yunho.

"What's going to happen to me, hyung? When the company finds out, will they throw me out? Because I'm attracted to a guy and I'm not normal and disgusting–"

"No, no, no." I finally managed to find my voice. "You're not disgusting, and no the company won't throw you out."

I tried to make him lift his head but I was denied. Instead, Changmin buried his head even further in my chest.

"Min," I started. "Minnie, look at me."

He slowly tilted his head upward, just a tiny bit. Enough so that he can see me through his bangs.

"You're not weird, Changmin, nor are you disgusting. Liking someone of the same doesn't make you any less of a human, some people just refuse to accept it because they think it's not 'normal'."

"But it's not normal." He muttered.

I sighed. "Is that what you really believe? Do you truly think it's not normal? You're only thinking that because that's what we were taught to believe."

He didn't say anything so I continued. "Tell me, do you think it's wrong for someone to love another?"

"Of course not." He replied instantly.

"Then what's wrong about loving someone of the same gender?"

Changmin lowered his head.

"Love is love, no matter what the gender," I continued while gently brushing his hair. "It can be any sort of love. Family love, love among friends, love for your pet, couple love, and so on."

Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic. I know. But I blame it on you-know-who (pun unintended).

"Point is, it doesn't matter if you're in love with someone from the same . I, definitely will not judge you or be disgusted by you, and I'm sure Yunho won't either."

I guess I got my point across, because he didn't argue with me any further. Instead, he lifted his head once more. "But, how do you know that for sure?"

I smiled. "Because it's Yunho."

"That's not a reasonable answer, hyung."

"Well, if he was against it, he would've avoided my unbearable clinginess and hugs wouldn't he?" I don't mention the random flying kisses I've sent to Yunho a few times in the past, but I think Changmin gets it.

"That's...just for fanservice. You can't–"

"Listen here young man," I grabbed both of his cheeks and squished them together. "You are not arguing with me about this for even another second. As I said, Yunho isn't that kind of a person. Now, man up and go confess to your crush. Where's the confident Changmin I know?"

"Yesh hyng" I'll take that as a 'yes, hyung'.

"Good," I let go of his cheeks. "Now get going."

"I'm going, I'm going." he mumbled while rubbing his cheeks.

Changmin headed to the exit and reached for the doorknob. I was slightly surprised when he turned around before opening the door.

"Need anything?"

He shook his head. "No, just...thank you Jae hyung." He smiled.

I returned the smile. "Anytime."

He nodded before leaving the room, closing the door behind him. As soon as he did, I slumped back on the chair.

So Minnie likes Yunho as well. Should I have seen that coming? Probably.

Sighing, I rubbed my hands over my face.

What have I done?

The right thing. Hopefully.