Twenty-Five

Unspoken Thoughts

Grade Four, October 1995

 

The sound of laughter filled the atmosphere. Jaejoong high-fived his friend, Hyun Joong.

"Owwww.....that hurt, Jae!" Hyukjae complained. The mentioned one just shrugged. 

"Not my fault you're so weak." He replied.

"Seriously though you hit really hard, hyung," Changmin said, amazed. "You're so strong."

"I wish I was as strong you..." Another one of their gang, Heechul commented. 

Jaejoong just waved them off. "You're exaggerating, I'm not as strong as you make me out to be." 

Hyun Joong wrapped an arm over Jaejoong's shoulder. "No, but they're right. Before you never even dared to hit a fly, now you're literally kicking everyone's like no tomorrow." 

"Well, I hate being weak." Was his short reply.

Changmin looked at him in awe. "You're so cool...teach me how to fight, hyung! So I can hit everyone too!"

They all looked at him as if he had two heads. Changmin tilted his head, confused. "What?"

Jaejoong shook his head. "No, Minnie. You're too young. Maybe when you grow older I'll teach you."

"But-!"

"Jae is right, Changminnie. At your age, you shouldn't be fighting with other kids. Besides Jae-hyung only does it for fun." Hyun Joong interrupted. 

"Then why can't I do it for fun?" Little Changmin pouted.

"Because," Jaejoong started. "You're a kid." The said kid pouted even more. "Anyway, why should you learn to fight when I'm here? And Hyukjae and Heechul hyung and Joong as well. Don't worry if you ever need help to fight off a bully, just call for us and we'll be there." Jaejoong cupped the eight year old's face in his hands.

"That's right Changminnie! We'll be you're superheroes and come to your rescue!" Hyukjae said, striking a pose in which he thought was 'super heroic'. 

Changmin giggled. "But you don't have capes. How can you be superheroes without capes?" 

Jaejoong raised a closed fist. "Who needs capes when we have this?" 

"Hmm...okay! I have four superheroes now, hurray!" The kid jumped up and down.

"More like bodyguards, but whatever." Heechul said. 

Hmm. Jaejoong thought. Superheroes, bodyguards, ninjas...doesn't matter which title it is. As long as he can keep this image up, he'll have everyone's admiration towards him. They'll finally look up to him. They'll think, oh how strong he is! Oh his friends are lucky to have someone as strong as him! They would have these thoughts.

They won't disturb him anymore. They won't bully him anymore. They won't call him weak anymore.