Track 14

Voice of the Heart [hiatus]

“Could you repeat that again Jongie?” Nana asked as the two of them practiced alone inside one of the sound proof music rooms.

“Sure Nana-noona,” Sungjong smiled as he played the song again on the piano.

There were only 2 days more before the long awaited play that the principal himself wrote, which is why everyone is working double time so that this play would meet its success. Sungjong himself is working very hard practicing everyday with Nana so that the main lead will feel confident on stage without thinking of messing up.

“Aish,” Nana said as she messed up again. “Why can’t I get this note right?”

“It’s because you’re thinking too much noona,” Sungjong said with a soft smile. “If you could relax and clear your mind then I’m sure you’ll get it, besides, the melody and pitch are quite easy to get even for a guy like me.”

And with that said Sungjong sang the part that Nana has been having troubles with in a perfect pitch even though the song is intended for a girl. As soon as he finished singing and playing Nana instantly clapped her hands in amazement for the younger boy. Sungjong immediately blushed at this thinking that the elder might think he’s cocky or something, but Nana’s smile said otherwise.

“That was amazing Sungjong,” exclaimed the girl. “No wonder you’re Sunggyu-oppa’s brother.”

"It wasn't really amazing," Sungjong said as he blushed bright red.

"Not amazing? Did you even hear yourself Sungjong?" Nana said a bit shocked that the boy is bringing himself down. "And you've even memorized the song already!"

"I-it's because I spend all my time with you while you practice which is why I think I've memorized even your lines for the play," the pianist defended while stuttering a bit cause right now he has no control over his words.

"Really?" Nana said with a small smile. "Then at least now I know I could call you if I need a double that's as pretty as me for the play."

"Noona~" Sungjong whined as he realized that the other was teasing him already.

"I'm sorry Jongie," Nana said with a laugh. "But I am serious about the whole double thing though, besides, I think it will help boost your self-esteem. A talent like yours should be shared to the world."

"Thank you," Sungjong said with a small smile. "But I think it would be better if I stayed at the background."

The two of them then continued to practice all morning. Sungjong occasionally mentored Nana with her singing and a bit on the acting saying that those two activities aren't really different from each other. After practicing all morning long someone finally knocked on the music room’s door telling them that it was time for a break.

 

“Sungjongie~” Sungyeol called as he hugged the younger who just entered the auditorium with Nana, who went ahead and joined her own friends.

“Yah!” Sunggyu called from behind. “Stop molesting my younger brother you little chodding!”

“I’m not molesting him hyung!” Sungyeol retorted still not letting go of Sungjong. “I’m just regaining my strength.”

“Do you need to hug my Sungjong just to get energy?” Sunggyu nagged.

“Hmm,” Sungyeol pretended to think it over but just cuddled closer to the petite boy in the end, and then while giving a huge smile to the protective hyung he answered with full honesty: “Yes.”

“You little chodding…” Sunggyu snarled but was held off by Woohyun.

“Now now Gyu,” Woohyun tsked. “Sungjong doesn’t seem to mind it.”

“I kinda got used to it,” Sungjong said while laughing sheepishly. “The two of you, along with Dongwoo-hyung and Hoya-hyung always hugged me out of the blue so two more people doing it is fine.”

“Two?” the older brother asked.

“Sungjongie~” cooed another male as he nuzzled his face on the crook of Sungjong’s neck making the younger blush bright red. When he looked at the other male's smiling face his heart suddenly beated faster it was none other than Kim Myungsoo. “I missed you.”

His heart was now palpitating and he feels like it would explode any minute, two more people hugging him out of the blue should be normal right? I mean, it was normal when Sungyeol hugged him so why is his heart malfunctioning when Myungsoo is hugging him?! He didn't ponder on it longer though when suddenly both boys where pulled away from him.

“You,” Sunggyu said as he suddenly pulled on the ear of Sungyeol and Myungsoo. “erts!!”

“Gyu-hyung finally snapped?” Dongwoo asked as he appeared from behind Sungjong.

“Yup,” Woohyun answered as Sungjong just smiled at the three’s antics.

“This is what they get for going after someone with a protective older brother,” Hoya added with a small smile.

"Huh?" Sungjong said with complete confusion.

"Oh you're just so adorable Jongie," cooed Woohyun as he pinched the youngest's cheek, only to be held back by a jealous - but he'll never admit it - Sunggyu who left two sore eared males behind.

"Yah! You're gonna molest my brother too?" Sunggyu scolded.

"I would never think of cheating on you my little HamGyu," Woohyun smiled.

"I-I never said anything about cheating!" Sunggyu retorted.

"Aww," Dongwoo said as he slung an arm around Woohyun. "Gyu-hyung just trusts you so much that he'll never think you'll cheat on him."

Everyone laughed at that statement and Sunggyu just pouted a little as his face turned red, it was times like this that you can completely see the resemblance between Sungjong and Sunggyu. There little merry moment was interrupted though by a little bad news.

"Sunggyu!" Min came rushing to them from the stage causing her to be short of breath. "Nana broke her leg!"

"What?!!" Sunggyu exclaimed as he rushed down towards the stage with Min as the others followed.

When they got to the stage they saw Nana lying on one of the bed props surrounded by the crew. Sunggyu could see the second story of the princess' cottage laying broken on one sided and he quickly determined what had probably happened.

"I'm sorry Sunggyu-oppa," Nana said as he saw the president coming to her side. "I just wasnted to try standing on the balcony and then I ended up destroying it."

"We could easily replace that scene Nana-sshi," Sunggyu said. "How are you?"

"My leg kind of hurts," Nana said with a wince of pain as she tried to move it.

"Don't force yourself," Sunggyu said in a brotherly motherly tone. "I guess... I guess we just have to postpone the play."

"No!" Nana cried. "Everyone worked so hard for this! You can't cancel this because of me!"

Nana then tried to stand up but was instantly pushed back down by Sunggyu while giving her a stern look.

"You will not force yourself Nana," Sunggyu scolded and then he smiled gently at the younger. "I'm sure the principal will understand."

The main lead just sighed cause no one can rea"ly go against Sunggyu once he's in motherly-mode. Shee looked at the worried and disappointed faces of the others and she just felt more guilty until her eyes landed on her practice partner and she suddenly had a brilliant idea that'll save the play and boost Sungjong's self-esteem.

"Min-unnie!" Nana called and Min instantly went to her side she began whispering to the elder's ear and with every hushed word that was exchanged Min's eyes lit up until everyone could see her wide smile. When Nana finished Min clapped with glee and quickly approached a clearly shocked Sungjong.

"Neh Jongie," Min began as she scrutinized Sungjong face and body making the younger feel uncomfortable. "What's your waist line?"

"2-24," Sungjong started and instantly Min's and the other girl's eyes widened at him.

"24?!!" Min exclaimed. "That is so unfair! That should be considered illegal for a boy's body!!" the other girl's in the room all gave an approving nod.

"Min-unnie," called Nana making Min remembers her original objective.

"Oh yeah," Min laughed sheepishly. She then grabbed Sungjong by the shoulder and gave him a stern look. "Lee Sungjong, Nana told me that you’ve memorized all her lines both singing and acting lines so would you please replace Nana as Princess Jenna?"

“I-I can’t act noona! It’s impossible for me to do it!” Sungjong cried.

“Sungjongie,” Nana called catching his attention. “I was there with you while you helped me practice my lines, you did them perfectly Sungjong, you just need to realize just how incredible you are.”

“But… but who’ll play the piano for the play?” Sungjong said, still hoping to get out of it.

“I will,” Sunggyu answered instantly. “I’m sorry Min, but it seems like you’ll have to direct everything yourself from now on.”

“It’s fine oppa,” Min smiled. “Just please convince your brother.”

“Sungjong, I won’t force you but I’m still going to ask you to do it,” Sunggyu said pleading a little. “You’ve memorized the lines, can sing amazingly great, heck, your body is even made for the princess outfits.”

“Hyung,” Sungjong said tearing up a little. “You know I can’t do it, I’ll just mess up the whole play.”

“Sungjong!” Sungyeol suddenly cried from out of the blue. “Are you really Sungjong? Cause I don’t remember Jongie ever being selfish like this.”

“And I don’t remember Jongie being a fortune teller to know that he’ll mess up either,” Myungsoo added.

“Hyungs, I…” Sungjong said but as he looked at the hopeful faces of the crew he just looked down to his feet. Sungyeol’s right, how can he be so selfish like this?

“I won’t force you Sungjong,” Sunggyu comforted as he placed a hand around his brother’s shoulder.

“I’ll,” Sungjong hesitated a bit. “I’ll do it hyung, I’ll take over Nana-noona’s role.”

“Thank you Jongie!” Sunggyu cried as he hugged his baby brother and the rest of the crew cheered. “I know that this will be a huge thing for you but I just want you to know that I’m very proud of you.” Sunggyu whispered in the younger’s ear.

Sungjong looks at the happy faces of everyone whose worked so hard for this play and he thinks that maybe his decision will bring more fortune than the misfortune that he’s thinking.

 


 

I planned to finish this whole 'play arc' here but if I continue it and fit it all into one chapter then it'll be too long and I suddenly got hooked in writing about the fairy tale plot of the play ^^

if you want a little preview of the play then please read it here: