Track 13

Voice of the Heart [hiatus]

Woolim High’s fair was busier this year because it is also the school’s 100th anniversary. Clubs were doing more special presentations, some were even collaborating with each other. For those not involved in their respective club’s activities were enjoying the whole week of the fair to their heart’s content just like how Sungjong and the others are doing, that is until the 2nd day of the fair.

“Hello,” a cute chubby girl came into Sungjong’s classroom one day. “I’m sorry for intruding like this but I would just like to make a little announcement if you don’t mind?”

After receiving a nod from Doo Joon the girl continued with her speech.

“I’m Min, a third year student and vice-president for the drama club,” the girl, Min, started. “The drama club and Music club has collaborated to perform a special play for this year’s festival’s closing, but unfortunately we’re short on staff and I’m wondering if any of you would like to join us just for this production.”

“What do we have to do?” a random boy asked.

“Nothing hard, we just need more staff,” Min said. “But if any of you can play an instrument then it would be a really big help.”

With that heard a little light bulb popped on top of Dongwoo’s head. Sungjong’s gonna kill him for this but this is for the greater good and one day his best friend will thank him for this.

“We volunteer!” Dongwoo cried as he raised his hand bringing a shocked Sunjong’s hand along with him.

“Hyung!” cried Sungjong as he stared wide eye at the other. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“You’ll be part of the crew Dongwoo-ah? Sungjong-sshi?” Min asked from the front.

“I’ll be a crew,” Dongwoo said. “But Jongie will be a musician.”

“Dongwoo!” Sungjong scolded.

“You can play an instrument Sungjongie?” Min asked as her eyes lit up.

“Well… I…” Sungjong mumbled. He really didn’t want to lie to his noona. “A little.”

“That’s great!” Min cried as she ran and hugged the younger boy. “But I guess it’s no surprise since you came from Gyu-oppa’s family.”

“But noona,” Sungjong started. “The instruments, they’ll just be at the side right? They won’t be onstage or something?”

“Of course not,” Min smiled.

“I guess I’ll do it then,” the feminine male said and then he was suddenly captured into another of Min’s hugs.

“Oh thank you thank you thank you Sungjong-sshi~” Min said. “I bet Sunggyu-oppa will also feel less stress if he sees you near.”

Sungjong smiled at his noona as she said that. In all honesty this days Sunggyu is looking more tired than ever, being the student council president and president of the music club who is also in charge of this play doubles his stress level. His younger brother would do anything to ease his stress a little so maybe being part of this play is his way to help his hyung, even if it’s just a small part – but that doesn’t excuse Dongwoo for the killing he’ll get later.

“So is there anyone else who would like to volunteer?” Min asked the class before she left and instantly two hand shot up in the air with perfect synchronization. “Oh? Myungsoo-sshi and Sungyeol-sshi, right?”

“Yes noona,” Sungyeol answered a bit awkwardly. “I could be a crew.”

“I play the guitar,” Myungsoo said softly.

“Oh this is just daebak!” Min cried. “I’ll meet the four of you later at lunch in the auditorium. Now I have to go and recruit more people, thank you~”

“So the 4 of us are gonna help in the play then,” Sungjong smiled.

“Yeah.”

The four of them then decided to get an early lunch since the real lunch time will be occupied by helping with the play. As soon as they sat down in the cafeteria with their food Sungjong punched Dongwoo’s arm causing the other to yelp a little, it was a light punch but a punch is still a punch.

“Why did you do that hyung?!” cried Sungjong.

“I’m so sorry Jongie,” Dongwoo cried as he bowed to the other while he clapped his hands together like he was praying. “But I thought that it was the perfect opportunity to boost your self-esteem.”

“Aish,” sighed Sungjong. He couldn’t really get mad at his hyung for he knew that what he said is true. Even he wants to overcome this shyness of his, but Dongwoo could have at least asked or something. “You better be thankful that it’s just a backstage job.”

“Then you forgive me?” Dongwoo asked with hopeful eyes and a slight smile, it got even bigger when he saw the other smile in return. “Trust me Jongie, you won’t regret this experience.”

‘I hope not,’ Sungjong prayed. He then turned towards his other two hyungs and asked. “So why did you two volunteer?”

Sungyeol and Myungsoo then suddenly tensed up and looked at each other because honestly they are really surprised with themselves and each other. The tywo of them didn’t know about working in plays but as soon as it was confirmed that Sungjong would help out they both volunteered instantly, but they can’t tell the younger that.

“It seems like fun,” Sungyeol smiled as he looked at Myungsoo.

“Yeah,” Myungsoo agreed as he returned his best friend’s gaze.

“It would be fun I guess,” the younger said with a small smile. “Especially since you guys are there.”

 

Lunch time finally came and you could now see the four of them entering Woolim High’s theater. As soon as Sungjong’s head peaked in he was instantly glomped into a hug by none other than his brother, Kim Sunggyu.

“Gyu-hyung!” Sungjong cried. “You’re heavy.”

“I’m just so happy Jongie,” Sunggyu said. “You’re finally getting over your shyness and we get to work together.”

“I’m just gonna be a backstage person hyung.”

“Still,” Sunggyu said. “I feel like a proud father.”

“You mean grandfather,” Dongwoo murmured making Sungyeol and Myungsoo snicker.

“I should make the three of you work hard like slaves,” Sunggyu said as he glared hard at them.

“Kidding hyung,” Dongwoo said as he raised his hands in defense when he suddenly felt a pair of arms snake around his waist.

“Boo,” the intruder whispered in his ear causing Dongwoo to jump a little but he instantly knew who held him.

“Yah!” cried Dongwoo as he turned to face the man hugging him. “Are you planning to give me a heart attack Hoya?!”

“Not really,” Hoya laughed. “I don’t want the last dinosaur on earth to be extinct.”

“What are you doing here anyways?”

“I volunteered to help when Min showed me your name on the list,” Hoya honestly said.

“That seems like such a sneaky way to recruit people,” Sungjong whispered.

“That’s our Min,” laughed Sunggyu. “Now let’s go down so that you could be assigned jobs.”

As soon as they got to the stage they instantly saw how busy the people here were. People were running to and fro on the stage holding various props, at a corner a few were practicing their lines and you could hear singing at the back, other people were practiced the lights and sounds and a few were fixing the costumes.

“Wow,” exclaimed Sungyeol. “People sure are busy.”

“We are,” Sunggyu said. “Which is why your help is pretty much needed.”

“Just tell us what to do and we’ll do it for you hyung,” Dongwoo assured him.

“Well Min told me that only Myungsoo-sshi and Jongie can play an instrument so thye two of them are coming backstage with me,” Sunggyu started. “The rest of you will be under Min.”

With that said they parted into two groups. Sunggyu led Myungsoo and Sungjong to the backstage while Sungyeol, Dongwoo and Hoya turned to look for Min and start working. Once Sungjong went through the curtains and enter the backstage he was glomped yet again by another one of his hyungs, Nam Woohyun.

“Oh Jongie!” cried Woohyun. “I’m so glad you’re here! We could really use your help.”

“Which is why I volunteered hyung,” laughed Sungjong. “So what do you need help on?”

“Well first I’d like you to meet our main leads,” Woohyun started. “This is Nana and this is Taemin.”

“Annyeong,” Sungjong greeted as he returned the actors’ smiles.

“Now since this is a musical of course we’ll need singing,” Woohyun said. “So can you please join their practices and rehearsals so that your piano playing and their singing could be in sync?”

“Of course hyung, I’ll just need a few minutes to learn the score sheets first.”

“Thank you thank you thank you Jongie~” Woohyun said as he hugged the other boy again only to be pulled away by Sunggyu.

“That’s enough now,” the elder said.

“Aww~” Woohyun cooed. “Is my hamster jealous?”

“I am not,” Sunggyu said but the blush on his face told another story. “I just don’t want your greasiness to rub all off on Sungjong!”

“Sure~” Woohyun said in a disbelieving tone as he smirked at Sunggyu feeling very happy that he’s jealous. “Anyways, Sungjong will need only 5 minutes to memorize this pieces and then you guys could start practicing.”

“5 minutes?!” Taemin exclaimed, he also played the piano and he knows it’s quiet impossible to memorize the pieces in five minutes it’ll take an hour at least.

“Ok so maybe 10 to 15 minutes and Sungjong would memorize these pieces,” Woohyun shrugged.

“Hyung!” cried Sungjong feeling embarrassed. “Stop exaggerating!”

“I’m not exaggerating,” Woohyun smirked and then he turned to Myungsoo. “Now you. I heard you played the guitar?”

“Yes,” Myungsoo answered simply.

“So you’ll be working with my precious Sunggyu then huh?” Woohyun eyed him up and down. “If you make a move on him I swear I will skin you alive.”

“I could say the same thing to you hyung,” Myungsoo retorted. “Since you’ll be working with Jongie.”

“Oh,” Woohyun said. “I see, I guess it’s fair switch then.”

“What’s a fair switch?” Sunggyu asked.

“Nothing Gyu,” Woohyun smiled innocently. “Now I should get back to work or else Min will have my head.”

 


 

So this chappie is like the first part of the next chapter cause if I continue it it'll get reall really long and you might get bored or something...

so if you're wondering why Nana and Taemin are the leads for their play well the answer is simple, it's because Jongie fits in Nana's dress and I need a non-INFINITE member to be friendly with our maknae ;) I will stop typing now cause I might reveal too much LOL

and I'm gonna take a 3 day break because my family takes religion very seriously so as a sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins we won't be using any kind of technology as we celebrate Easter ^^

see you guys in 3 days~~

 

and for those who didn't read the previous post to this: aka shameless advertisement

a lot of you keep feeling bad that Yeol won't end up with Jong in this story and honestly I feel bad too ;A; which is why I decided to make a YeolJong story! yey?

it is entitled Cheating Death [for now I think...] and you can read it here click the note!