Throwback

Late Night

BREAKING the RULES

-

"Lu, what are you looking at?" 

 

"Oh. These?" Lu Han smiles widely at Kai. His eyes are forming crescents and the wrinkles above his cheeks are becoming visible. "I found your old pictures in the chest. There are plenty!"

The young man just finished changing clothes when he catches his boyfriend with a suspicious smile drawn on his lips. His university photos are scattered on the bed while Lu Han inspects them one by one. "Goodness! You look...really...uhm what should I say?"

"...badass." Kai finishes for him. "A rule-breaker."

"Good word." Lu Han chuckles. One photo is that of Kai wearing a snapback. His blonde hair sticking out everywhere. Lu Han sees earrings in both of his ears  and a fake tattoo on his neck. Chanyeol took the photo while Kai is having a heated argument with his broken motorcyle in the middle of the road. Lu Han is laughing loudly, amused, at his boyfriend's expression. "You look like you're scolding the poor thing."

"I was short-tempered back then. I couldn't help but hate the damn motorcyle for shaming me in front of many people. I was supposed to look cool but I ended up being labeled as a loser in school because of the incident. And Chanyeol being a good friend, had to pull out his phone and captured the moment."

Lu Han picks another photo and leans in so he can see every detail in the paper. His mouth naturally protrudes while he scrutinizes Kai's face. "You're drunk in this picture," he finally concludes after a moment of silence.

The way Kai lowers his head confirms the truth. Using his knees, he motions across the bed and settles himself behind Lu Han. He takes the liberty to hide his face on the older one's shoulder. 

"That was during Chen's birthday bash. We crashed in a club and.... drunk to our hearts' content. We crawled on our way back home."

Lu Han hums, unconvinced with Kai's incomplete story. Something else must have happened. Drunk teens equate trouble. Kai senses him and sighs. "Alright. A girl from school.... stole a kiss from me."

"And?"

 

"And I kissed her back." Kai shuts his eyes and whines. "I was drunk, Lu."

 

Lu Han his head to rest on Kai's and lets out a short laugh, "I get it. It's in the past."

"But nothing happened after that! I swear!" Kai adds defensively. "Baekhyun pulled me away and mentioned your name. I.... I almost flipped the table when he did that."

 

Lu Han's laughter fades quickly. The atmosphere weighs heavy all of a sudden. "You were mad at me back then." 

 

Kai snakes his arms around Lu Han's waist, holding him tightly as he murmurs, "I was."

 

"I left with you with only a letter. I didn't take effort to talk to you beforehand. I can't blame you if you felt that way."

 

"I was devastated."

 

"I know and I am deeply sorry, even until now"

 

Kai reaches out to cup Lu Han's chin, turning his head so they can face each other, "Despite being mad at you, deep inside, I really missed you. My mom knew. Father knew. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen knew. I guess that's the reason they didn't abandon me even after I turned into a total jerk. They were always ready to catch me when I caught on trouble."

"They love you, Kai. I don't think your parents and your friends would have left you feeling lonely. I couldn't thank them enough for taking care of you. They are the reason why we're happily together now. They gave us a chance to share what we have now. It feels great to be surrounded by these awesome people."

"Yeah. I owe them a lot."

 

"Hey, look at this photo. You look really cute."

Kai peeks to see what caught Lu Han's attention this time. He finds a picture of himself wearing a black baggy shirt and his favorite ripped jeans. His mom took the photo while he was helping them out to carve Halloween pumpkins. He looked pissed because Halloween reminds him of his Hanhan-hyung. Those were the days.

"Do you really think I look cute?"

"Fishing for compliments?"

"Yeah."

Lu Han chuckles and nods, "Okay. You do look cute. Really, really cute that I am having the urge to bite your cheeks."

Kai laughs along with him, "You can do it now if you want."

"Hm...Maybe later."

"Lu...." Kai whines like a child not having a taste of his favorite candy. Lu Han gives in quickly and plants a kiss on the younger one's cheek. 

Kai feels victorious. He is the one to pick a photo this time. "Here. Look at this, Lu. This is when we went on a roadtrip; me, Chen, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. We rented a car from a classmate and traveled South. That trip was very memorable because it was the time Chanyeol confessed to Baekhyun. Chen and I were awkwardly waiting for the two to finish their conversation behind a bush."

"Awww. So that's also the time Baekhyun admitted he likes Chanyeol since you were young."

"That's right."

"Fond memories. I wonder when we'll get to spend time with them again. Oh! And Halloween is two weeks from now. Do you have any plans?"

Kai's face suddenly lights up. He turns to Lu Han with a smile full of anticipation, "Oh I do have a plan, Lu. I could never forget. Halloween is ours afterall. You'll see."

 

-

A/n: More throwback. Yay or Nay? 

(Talk about last song syndrome. I've been humming EXO's Drop That for hours. It also turned out to be my inspiration in writing badass Kai because of his goddamn rap. <3)