Doubts

Late Night

Author’s note: Hey everyone! I have returned to give you a SHORT update on this fic. Feel free to throw me virtual tomatoes for 'neglecting' this story. I deserve it. huhuhu Anw, this chapter should’ve been about Kai’s proposal to LuHan but I changed my mind the last minute. The proposal and marriage will come a little later. For now, I will focus on their day to day life as a couple. Shoutout to ohelss for recommending my stories. This is my way of saying thank you.

 

That’s it for now. Got some other works to finish. Bye, bye!

 

 

 

-

 

LuHan wonders. How is he supposed to react when a gorgeous woman, young and pleasant, wearing knee-length skirt and a crop top that shows her belly button, comes up to his doorsteps, looking for his boyfriend?

 

Should he call Kai who is currently in the shower to come and meet her or should he just slam the door to her face, hoping she won’t appear again?

 

It's definitely rude but if LuHan is being honest with himself, the latter is more tempting to do.

 

"Babe? Who's there?" asks Kai as he comes out of the shower. He approaches LuHan with only a towel wrapped around his waist. His bare chest is exposed and for the first time, LuHan isn’t pleased. It bothers him a lot that Kai is not dressed and the woman is wearing such revealing clothes. His hand is reaching for the door, ready to shut it but he’s able to catch himself at the right moment before his feelings get the best of him.

 

“Naeun?”

 

Ah. Is that her name? LuHan will surely remember that even if he doesn’t need to.

 

The woman waves her hand, “Hi.”

 

“What are you doing here?” the younger male asks.

 

“Just dropping by. I came back in town to have a short vacation. Your mom told me that you live here so I thought I’d go and see you.”

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Yeah. I’m glad to see you again after a long time. We haven’t had a chance to talk before I leave for Seoul. I’m sorry about that.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LuHan’s eyes shift from Kai to Naeun, waiting for one of them to speak again but the silence ensues. He feels uncomfortable standing in between them. They look at each other as if their eyes are talking. It’s as if they can understand each other even with the absence of words. LuHan feels intimidated and slowly moves his feet backwards, away from them. But before he can take another step, Kai stops him by putting his arm around his waist.

 

“It doesn’t matter. You’re not obliged to tell me what your plans are.”

 

Naeun forces a smile, “Right.”

 

 

 

“I’m sorry but we can’t let you in. LuHan and I have works to attend to.”

 

LuHan is unsure whether Kai is uncomfortable seeing her again or he just wants to save him from the awkwardness going on between them, thus sending her away. Either way, it’s a relief because he doesn’t have to deal with her anymore.

 

Naeun shakes his head, “It’s okay. I don’t intend to stay longer. I just want to know how you’re doing.” She then turns to LuHan with a tight smile. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

 

 

LuHan dips his head in response.

 

 

 

“Well, I’ll be on my way now. See you around,” says Naeun before departing. LuHan feels like those words are intended to Kai not him. He ignores the growing jealousy in his chest and goes on with the day like nothing’s bothering him.

 

 

 

-

 

Chanyeol is his usual self, being loud on the phone while talking to Kai, “What? You mean the Naeun you dated back then?”

 

The latter cringes, “We never dated. You know how I feel about her.”

 

“She kissed you once though.”

 

“Like I said, it wasn’t real. I didn’t like her. People think we’re dating because of Baekhyun and his stupid bet.”

 

Chanyeol cracks up, reaching for Baekhyun on the other side of the bed. His boyfriend is fast asleep after rounds of lovemaking, “Baek didn’t mean to pair you up. He just wants to confirm if you still hold feelings for LuHan-hyung back then. When Naeun kissed you and you reacted indifferently, we realized that you really are in love with him.”

 

Kai watches as LuHan enters the room. The latter avoids meeting his eyes and silently changes into his sleepwear, getting ready for bed.

 

“Yes. I was in love and still am.”

 

 

 

LuHan hears him loud and clear. Kai catches how he pauses for a second before pulling down his shirt.

 

“I thought I’ll be able to forget about that person but I was wrong. I have fallen deeply right from the start.”

 

“I know that,” Chanyeol answers back. “You two are meant for each other. Just like me and Baekhyun.”

 

A smile graces Kai’s lips, “I don’t usually agree with you but this time I do. That’s the best thing you’ve said so far.”

 

“Aisssh! Mean.”

 

“Just saying.” Kai chuckles, glancing at the wall clock before saying goodbye to Chanyeol. It’s already 11 in the evening. As he puts his phone away, LuHan climbs up and settles beside him. He pulls the blanket up to his face as he lies down in silence. Kai frowns, seeing a distance between them. He scoots closer to LuHan and rests his head on the latter’s chest. To his dismay, LuHan doesn’t hold him back.

 

“Tell me what’s on your mind,” Kai prompts, pressing his lips against the soft fabric. LuHan is hesitant to speak. He knows what’s bothering him but he is afraid to spill it because it doesn’t make sense. He’s jealous of someone he’s boyfriend clearly avoids. He hates how doubtful he gets even after Kai has proven how much he loves him. Normally, he’s the one who’s more capable of controlling his feelings and setting his mind into something positive. But at that moment, he can only feel nothing but suspicions.

 

“About Naeun,” he starts tentatively. “Did you have feelings for her?”

 

Kai lets out a sigh. He has a gut feeling that this is about Naeun and he’s right. “No. I never liked her."

 

 

 

 

“But she likes you.”

 

 

 

“It doesn't change anything. She knows I’m with you,” Kai interjects, clutching tighter on LuHan’s shirt.

 

 

 

 

“Did it ever cross your mind; what your life would be if you’re with her?”

 

 

 

“Never.”

 

 

 

LuHan exerts but his voice comes out faint and brittle, “What if I didn’t come back? Is she the one you’re going to pursue…and probably marry?”

 

 

 

“Don’t even go there.” The younger hovers above him, arms resting on both sides of his head as he plants a warm kiss on his forehead. “You shouldn’t be thinking about her and all those far-fetched possibilities. Naeun is not meant for me. It’s you and only you.”

 

 

 

“Still. What if you’re together? You can have a child with her. I can’t give you one—Your parents…I can’t fulfil their dreams for you—“

 

 

 

LuHan stops halfway when Kai looks down at him; eyes deep in disappointment. His chest constricts when the latter lets out an exasperating sigh. “I really don’t like what you’re saying right now,” the latter expresses. “I feel like my love doesn’t reach you after all these years. I am madly in love with you, LuHan. I can dedicate my whole life just to make you happy. I ask nothing of you but to stay by my side because I am incapable of living without you. I miss you every single moment even if you’re here in my arms. I can’t go by a day without hearing your voice, the way you call me endearingly, the way you hold me to comfort. Your existence means the world to me. I don’t need anything more; just your genuine love and I can live every single day with happiness and contentment. My parents know that very well. They love you, baby. They accept you for who you are. Their dreams are now a reality after you came back and love me.”

 

 

 

For a moment, LuHan just stares at Kai; bittersweet tears rolling down his cheeks. He neither moves nor speaks. The jealousy in his heart is replaced by guilt. He tugs Kai into his arms, holding him tightly as he sobs against the latter’s chest. “I’m sorry! I’m really sorry! I’m so stupid! I can’t believe I doubted your love for me. These weird thoughts in my head won’t go away. I tried to ignore them but I couldn’t. Seeing her made it worse. I’m disappointed with myself. I promise I won’t act like this again.”

 

 The moment LuHan joins their lips, Kai’s frustrations dwindle away. He kisses him back much eagerly, leaving LuHan breathless shortly after. “I love you,” the older says, caressing his cheeks.

 

Kai doesn’t say it back until LuHan falls asleep. He rests his head on the latter’s chest and listens to his heartbeat. “I know and I love you, too. Forever and always.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 -

 

 Prompt, anyone? :)