A little love

Late Night

Author’s note: OMG! Another update! I had a two-hour break from class earlier so why not write another chapter for this story? :D

Do you remember Shixun and Lulu from the original story “Wings”? Well, I included them in this chapter.  I just want to make a special chapter where they meet Kai and LuHan. Remember how scared Lulu was when Kai accused him of eating too much candy during Halloween? And how Shixun defended him? Lol I really enjoyed writing that part. So a couple of years later, they meet again. This time Shixun is 15 while Lulu is 14. Get ready for teenage love quarrel and KaiLu getting stuck in between. 

-

Summer is just around the corner. Kai, being an outdoor person, looks forward to that time of the year. While the city people complain about the scorching heat, he calls himself fortunate to live in an area where trees are abundant and give comfort over the blasting sun. The air is cool and fresh unlike in urban areas where heat builds up quickly, making people suffer from heat and illnesses caused by pollution. Even though he’s far from the beach and other fun places to visit during the summer, he doesn’t want to be elsewhere but in his hometown where he and LuHan can enjoy the little paradise they call home.

One fine morning, they indulge in a long stroll along the lake. Hand in hand, they walk through the dewy grass, admiring the crystal reflection of the sun on the lake. Kai talks about how nature is incomparable to LuHan's beauty, making the latter blush. LuHan pinches Kai in the arm, telling him to stop fooling around because he might not be able to control himself and kiss him in broad daylight.

"Do it," Kai challenges, already leaning closer. 

"Aisshhhh, Kai-ah. Someone might see us."

"There's no one around."

"Still."

"Come on, babe. Just one kiss. Here, let me help you." Kai cups LuHan's cheeks, ready to attack the plump lips. However, before they can close their eyes, an impact hauls Kai to the opposite direction. LuHan is able to grab him safely before he falls on the water.

 

"I'm sorry!" 

 

LuHan turns to see the cause of trouble and finds a boy bowing his head low.

"I didn't mean to...I was just trying to run away. Forgive me!" he explains frantically. He doesn't dare to look up to see who he bumped into; not until he heard Kai's voice, ordering him to stand upright. LuHan nudges his boyfriend, telling him to take it easy, "Don't scare him like that. He already apologized."

 

"I know. That's why I'm telling him to stand right."

 

Afraid of getting an earful of scolding, the boy quickly complies, throwing his head up to reveal his face. The moment he realizes who he bumped into, his eyes grow twice their size. He covers his mouth to suppress a gasp. "I-I'm...sorry..."

 

Kai squints, scrutinizing the boy's face, "You look familiar."

LuHan gets his face in between them. "You know him?" he asks, blinking his doe-eyes innocently. That's when Kai recalled. Right. He's the one he made to cry when he blatantly accused him of eating too much candy. He's the little boy who had chubby cheeks and button nose. He's the one who reminded him of LuHan many years ago.

"You're that kid."

"Who?" LuHan buts in, shaking Kai's arm and urging him to explain which the latter does. "He's the kid who used to go trick or treating with his friends at home. I don't know how to put this but..." His eyes shift from LuHan to the boy. "...you two look similar."

 

The boy turns to LuHan just in time when the older glances at him. When their eyes met, the younger shies away. LuHan chuckles, "Really? I think he looks adorable."

"You are adorable," Kai emphasizes, poking LuHan's cheek. The older refuses to acknowledge it. Kai catches the boy blushing as he watches them in silence. Amused, he decides to tease a little. He leans closer to LuHan, going in for a kiss on the lips. He finds it hilarious that the boy frantically covers his eyes. But LuHan has to stop him and ruin the moment by diverting their attention into something else, "Anyway, you were saying that you're running away from someone." The boy doesn't answer. He just stares at them absentmindedly. "What's your name?" LuHan furthers, drawing closer to him. The boy jerks and apologizes for acting strangely, "You can call me Lulu."

"That's a lovely name. Suits you well," LuHan comments with a warm smile. "Now Lulu, do you mind telling us who is after you?"

 

The boy stutters to answer, "I uhm...well...I'm running from my best friend."

 

"That doesn't make sense. Why would you run away from your best friend?" Kai asks this time. Lulu blushes furiously, looking away. Wouldn't it be embarrassing to  tell this couple about what Shixun said to him? They might think he's a delusional freak who loves to weave stories. 

"Is that something you can't tell us?" LuHan asks carefully, making sure he doesn't appear nosy.

The boy nods weakly. Being innately caring, LuHan pats his head, "Oh alright. Well, I wanted to help out but if you don't want to talk about it then it's fine. Just make sure to talk with your best friend whatever it is that's bothering you, okay?" 

Lulu purses his lips. He looks up to LuHan with hopeful eyes but quickly lowers his head when he sees Kai tugging the kind "hyung" away. He opens his mouth only to stop before he can utter a word. He does it a couple of time, not knowing that LuHan is watching him. Just when he thought the "kind hyung" departs with his "boyfriend", he's actually there waiting for him to finally open up.

"Lulu! Where are you?" a desperate call echoes. LuHan panics upon hearing the voice. "It's Shixun!" he exclaims. He scampers behind LuHan in an attempt to hide.

A tall boy sporting a frown on his face appears behind the trees. By the looks of it, he is the best friend Lulu is talking about; both Kai and LuHan quickly decipher. Lulu is clutching on LuHan's shirt, peeking through the latter's arm. 

Kai remembers the boy quite vividly. He's the one who stands up to protect Lulu against him. Years passed and he grows up to be a good-looking boy, though a little intimidating. Just the way his eyebrows knit signals trouble. Or so they think.

When Shixun spots LuHan, his dead eyes show a subtle expression of surprise. 

"You're Shixun, aren't you?" the older questions, standing rigidly so not to expose Lulu behind him. 

"How do you know my name?"

Oops! "W-well---I....err Anyway! I'm LuHan nice to meet you!"

(???) "Okkkay? Have you seen him? The boy who...(looks like you) is wearing a blue cap?

Kai gets in the way, waving him off, "Nope! No boy wearing a blue cap around!" Shixun turns to him; eyes narrowing in doubt. He then snorts at him, "I don't believe you. You are Mrs. Kim's son, the rude guy who made Lulu cry when we were younger."

Kai's eye twitch at his remark. "You little...!"

"How could you do that to a child? Until now, Lulu is scared of you."

"That was a long time ago! I didn't mean it! I'm sorry!"

"Oh sure you did," Shixun chides, raking his silver hair. It seems like a fight is going to happen between them as they exchange glares but LuHan is having none of their . "Enough you two!" he scolds, putting a hand on his waist. They both freeze, unable to look at LuHan for a moment. The latter turns to Lulu and holds both of his hands, "There's no use running away. You better talk to him before it's too late. You're best friends. I'm positive that you're going to solve your problem. Speaking of which, you haven't told me about it."

 

Upon seeing Lulu, Shixun moves his feet and runs towards him. "Why did you run away?"

 

The boy turns his back, "Hmp! That's because Shixun is fooling around."

 

LuHan and Kai exchange glances. 

"I am not fooling around, Lulu! I meant what I said."

 

"You don't! I don't believe you! You love to play around, always teasing me. I can't take you seriously!"

 

"Is this what I think this is?" Kai whispers to LuHan. The latter whose eyes haven't left the two, dips his head once, "I think it is." 

 

"Come on! I haven't lied to you before. Never! Stop accusing me of playing around when you know it's not true!" Shixun asserts, scratching his head. He reaches for Lulu but the boy dodges. "I do like you why is it so hard to believe?"

 

"Yup. It's a love quarrel," LuHan confirms.

 

Lulu's face turn beat red. He swings around and tackles Shixun to cover his mouth. "Why'd you say that out loud?! They are listening!"

Shixun struggles to avoid Lulu's lousy punches, "I don't care!"

"You're an idiot, Shixun! Idiot!"

"And you're dumb as ever!" The taller boy rebuts. 

 

"Should I stop them? I don't think it's healthy to scream at each other like that."

"They're best friends. I'm sure they have done worse than that in the past."

 

The two boys continue to argue, calling each other funny names until one of them breaks out into tears. Obviously, it's Lulu, the sensitive one. LuHan runs to comfort  but Kai holds him back. "Let me. Hey, Shixun! I thought you're supposed to be the one protecting Lulu. You accused me of making him cry but you do the same. Boo!"

 

"Kai!" LuHan reprimands, hitting his arm. He ignores how his lover's face contorts in pain. "You're no help! How old are you again?!"

Shixun shoots a death glare at Kai before facing Lulu. He wipes the tears rolling down the younger's cheek as he says sorry. "Shixun is stupid," Lulu grumbles, wiping away his snot. He is acting like a seven-year old even though he's already twice that age.

"Fine, fine. Call me whatever you want. If that can make you happy then go ahead. Shoot," says the taller one, now fixing Lulu's hair. When his tears dried up, the cry-baby mumbles back an apology to his best friend. "Sorry for running away. I don't mean to hide forever."

 

"Don't do that again, alright?"

 

"Yeah. Sorry."

 

 

"So...like I said earlier, I like you."

 

"SHIXUN!"

 

"What now?!"

 

"Ugh! Why do you have to say it again? It's embarrassing!" 

 

"I just want you to know. What's so bad about it?"

 

"I don't know! It feels weird."

 

"Aiiish! You weren't embarrassed when you told me that you have a crush on that Kpop idol you saw on TV."

 

"I don't have a crush on him!" Lulu denies, kicking Shixun's leg. "You're the one who has a crush on that noona from school!"

 

"Hey! That's not true!"

 

"Yes it is!"

 

"Don't ugh me, stupid Shixun!"

 

 

 

"They're at it again," LuHan comments, chuckling. "A few years from now, they're going to look back at this moment and laugh at themselves for being silly. Ahhh~ the perks of young love."

 

Kai doesn't answer. He has his eyes fixed on LuHan's lips as the latter continue to ramble about puppy love and how Shixun and Lulu should cherish the friendship they have before anything else.

 

"...and they should always remember to--mmph!"LuHan's ears blow imaginary smoke when Kai shuts him with a kiss. He tries to push away but the latter is holding him tight. Kai loves how LuHan squirms under his touch. It's all good until Shixun decides to open his mouth; one word to ruin the mood.

 

"Ew."

 

 

 Kai pulls away, hissing. He cracks his knuckles as he marches towards Shixun. "You punk! Wait till I get you!"

 

Instead of getting mad because Kai stole a kiss in front of the "kids", LuHan bursts out laughing and watches how his boyfriend runs about, chasing the boy who is much younger than him.

-