Stormy Nights (ft. Shixun and Lulu)

Late Night

 

 

Kai bids goodbye to his favorite season when the local radio station announced a typhoon warning in the country. That night, instead of watching the moon in the balcony, which he and Lu Han usually do after supper, he shuts all the windows close and lock the door of the lake house. The wind is becoming stronger every minute and though everything is already fixed in the house, he can’t help but feel weary about the weather.

“Are you sleepy yet?”

 

“No.”

 

“What do want to do then?”

 

Lu Han ponders for a moment before glancing at the TV screen. “Why don’t we watch a movie tonight?” he suggests, tucking himself under the blanket.  Kai agrees and joins him thereafter. They watch a romance movie about a girl who fell in love with her professor. Lu Han has his full attention on the movie, engrossed with the plot, while Kai leaves lazy kisses on his forehead. Every now and then, the latter would glance at the screen to know the development of the story. However, for the most part, he would only gaze at Lu Han, amused at the many expressions his boyfriend can make.

It’s raining cats and dogs when the movie ended. Terrifying lightning flickers through the small cracks on the walls, shedding spooky lights in the lake house. The wind whips violently against the trees, bending their trunks to the ground. Boisterous thunder rolls across the gloomy sky, sending tremors to the world. Lu Han flinches every time the sound erupts. He fancies the rain but definitely not this kind of weather. It's dangerous to stay in the lake house at times like this, knowing that the water might overflow if the rain doesn't stop. He can only hope that the storm would end soon to spare them from trouble.  

 

When Kai notices the goose bumps along Lu Han’s arms, he pulls the blanket up in an attempt to warm his boyfriend. Lu Han blinks curiously, wondering why the younger covers his entire face. He looks like a dumpling under all those the sheets, “Kai-ah, I can’t see.”

Kai looks down and chuckles at the realization. He pulls the blanket lower, revealing Lu Han’s adorable expression, “My bad. I didn't know the blanket is up to your face. I just wanted to make sure you're not cold."

Lu Han beams at him. To show that he appreciates his lover's action, he plants a long and warm kiss on his chin. He curls like a baby in his arms, ready to fall asleep. However, the violent wind suddenly crashed on their window, forcing it open. The water splatters all over the place, wetting the floor and the shelves nearby. Kai jumps out of bed and tries to shut it but the wind is blowing harshly. The water splashes in his direction, soaking him in the process.

Lu Han runs frantically to his side. He ignores the booming sound of thunder that usually scares him just to make sure he can offer help to his boyfriend. He hates it when Kai is struggling. That's how protective he is towards the latter. With all their might, they push the window back in place. The wooden pane eventually stilled after they secure it with a lock. Lu Han peeks outside and sees nothing but dribblings of water. "It was scary," he admits with a long, exasperating sigh. 

Kai quickly gets a towel and helps him dry his hair, “Sure it was. For a moment, I thought that house is going to break in half.” 

Lu Han agrees, turning around to return the favor. The taller one lowers his head so Lu Han can clean him dry. After they're done changing into a new set of sleepwear, they go back to bed and cuddled until one of them gave in to slumber. For some reason, Lu Han stays awake, unable to sleep  even after Kai already drifts into a deep slumber. He spends the waking hour either playing with the latter's hair or his face careful enough not to disrupt his sleep.

He suddenly remembers the instances years ago when he was all alone in the lake house during a stormy night. To relieve the cold and the loneliness he tries to disregard but ignites  whenever it rains, Lu Han would lie down on the bed, hugging the only pillow he had to get a feeling of comfort. He got used to that kind of living; no one to hold him when it thunders. No one to ease the fear when the lightning strikes.

Now, things have changed. He has Kai who doesn't fail to show him how precious he is each day. He has someone who genuinely loves him and treats him well. He has someone who comforts him when he needs it the most and takes away the fear when it bears him down. Lu Han, amidst the unpleasant weather, feels blessed to have such company in his life. He can't possibly ask for more. Kai will always be there to make him feel content.

"You're still awake," Kai murmurs, rubbing his eyes. He checks the time and figures it's already past 10 in the evening. "What's wrong?"

Lu Han lays his head on the younger's chest, "Nothing's wrong. I'm just thinking how blessed I am to have you here, holding me in the midst of storm. You make me feel safe, protected."

Kai hums, holding him tighter. I feel the same. He lulls  Lu Han to sleep by brushing the side of his head. He also leaves short but warm kisses all over his face. He does it every time the latter can't fall asleep; and it proves effective when Lu Han starts yawning. 

"Thank you for being my soul mate. Thank you for being a loving boyfriend. Thank you for being you," the older murmurs before closing his eyes.

 

Somewhere not far from the lake house, two young hearts spend the night listening to each other's voices. Shixun is lying on the bed, talking to his best friend over the phone; the image of the acharming boy painted in his mind. Lulu is in his own room, just across Shixun's who lives in the house nearby. They are only meters away from each other and if not for the heavy rain, they would have talked to each other through their windows, like they often do at night.

Sehun rolls on the other side of the bed, smiling ever so subtly as he teases the other boy, "Your hugging the deer plushie, aren't you?"

Red hue creeps on Lulu's face. He looks down at the deer plushie on his chest and whines, "No, I don't. Big boys don't need plushies." He purposely adjusted his voice so he sounds convincing. But Shixun knows better. "I doubt it. It's raining hard.Are you scared?"

Lulu hides under the covers, "No."

 

"You're alone in your room."

 

"So are you, Shixun."

 

"I'm braver than you."

"I'm brave, too!" the younger argues, earning a chuckle for the other. Shixun sits upright, staring at the picture on the nightstand. "No school tomorrow because of the storm. Do you want to come over so we can draw together?"

"Hmm...sure."

 

"Okay."

 

 

"Okay~"

 

"What do want to draw?" asks Shixun, playing with the hem of his shirt. 

 

"Flowe- robots!" Phhhewww~

 

Shixun snickers, "Flowers?"

 

"I said robots!" the younger protests, blushing hard. He bites his bottom lip, scolding himself for being careless. Boys should draw "boy things" like what his teacher says. 

"What flowers do you want to draw?" Shixun furthers. "Roses? Daisies? Carnations?"

 

"Shixun, I said robots! ROBOTS! R-O-B--"

 

"I want to draw flowers, too," Shixun interjects.

 

Lulu pauses for a second before his lips formed a smile, "Really?" 

 

"Nope. I was kidding. I'd rather draw you. You sound excited though. You want to draw flowers that much?"

 

"Aisssh! You're so mean, Shixun! Wait-- you want to draw me?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Eeeeehhh? Why me?"

 

Shixun can't help but chortle at how innocent Lulu sounds, "Silly deer."

 

".....I'm not a deer."

 

"Sure. Suit yourself, deer."

 

Lulu rolls his eyes, "Meanie!"

 

Shixun listens quietly as he continues to grumble. Despite the nonsense coming out from his best friend's mouth, he doesn't want end the call on his own. In contrary, he doesn't want their conversation to end even if Lulu calls him strange names. 

"Hey, Lu," he interrupts. "Do you want to know why I want to draw you?"

 

The younger falls quiet all of a sudden. He listens to how Shixun is breathing hard on the other line. His own heart beat is racing wildly.

 

"Remember what I said the other day?"

 

"No," he replied coldly. (Well, he tried.)

 

"Do I have to say it again?"

 

"What-? NO!"

 

"I like y--"

 

"Say it and I'll drop the call," the younger threatens.

 

"....."

"....."

"....."

"I like you."

 

"Bye, Shixun. Have a greaaaat night!" 

 

"...."

"...."

"...."

"I know you're still there."

 

"BEEP! The call has ended."

 

"Nice try, little deer."

 

"Shut up," Lulu replies, yawning. 

Hearing this, Shixun glances at the clock. It's already midnight. How time flies!

"It's late. Go and sleep, Lulu."

 

The latter hums, slowly falling asleep. Shixun waits until he hears soft snores on the other line. He listens to the boy for a few more minutes, holding back a snicker every time Lulu does weird noises. Before he drops the call, he whispers something that puts a smile on his face. He then tucks under the blanket and says good night to the sleeping boy. 

 

-

A/n:  After this, I'll work on on my other fics. If inspiration hits me, I'll update from time to time. Thank you for reading!