Haven

Late Night

"We belong here"

-

Lu Han blinks.

A droplet of water falls on top of his nose, startling him when he was about to fall into slumber. 

He blinks again, eyes zooming on the bridge of his nose as another droplet fell. When he looks up to see where the water is coming from, he noticed the slit on the roof, just above their bed. 

It is raining cats and dogs that night.

Lu Han tugs his lover's arm to wake him up. "Kai-ah," he calls.

 Kai squirms and flips his body, putting an arm around Lu Han's waist. "Hmmm..?"

"I'm getting wet."

 

 

The young man's eyes shoot open upon hearing Lu Han's questionable statement in the middle of the night. "What?!"

Both of them lower the sheets and sit.

"Look." Lu Han points to the roof where water is leaking.

"Oh."

 

 

Moments later,

"There. I fixed it. I'm not sure how long it'll last though. It's just a temporary remedy," says Kai while cleaning up his hands with a clean rag. He puts back his toolbox under the cabinet and joins Lu Han in bed. "This house is really old. I remember the first time I came here, I was around 5. That was when I first took a glimpse of the lake house. Father said this is almost twenty years old. It doesn't surprise me that the ceiling is starting to give up now. The chimney is not in good condition as well. It seems that the walls have collapsed inwardly."

Lu Han listens as his boyfriend continues to speak.

"I found the living room floor sagging a little. When Baekhyun dropped by yesterday, he noticed it, too. He told me that there is a new-built apartment in town that's great for two."

Lu Han forces a smile as he looks around, "This house might be old but I feel most comfortable here. There is something about this place that gives off a feeling of being home. Personally, I haven't found such a place where I want to live for the rest of my life. Even when I left this town to travel, I always looked back to the memories this house offered. I feel like I belong here. We belong here together."

Kai falls silent. He knows exactly what his boyfriend is trying to point out. Staying in a different house will be the last thing Lu Han would do, he should have known. Lu Han fell in love with the lake house more than ten years ago when he first arrived in the humbled town where Kai grew up.  No one knew about his presence because most people avoid the said house by the lake, thinking it's haunted after being emptied with dwellers for a long time. Ironically, Lu Han finds comfort in it.  He doesn't regret living in such a peaceful haven and coming back again to share a blisfful life with Kai, the person he loves the most.  After all, the lake house served witness to their developing feelings for each other. It holds a lot of precious memories. 

Kai regrets his words. He laces his fingers with Lu Han's and murmurs a sorry. "We can call someone to repair the roof and the floor tomorrow. How about that?"

Lu Han's face softens and he quickly agrees. "That's good. I can clean up, too. The kitchen floor needs a lot of mopping. We can rearrange the interior and add decorations. Our home will look lovelier! Is that okay with you?"

"Sure. I'll help out."

Lu Han smiles in delight. He can't help but lean closer to his boyfriend and steal a kiss. "Thank you," he whispers earnestly.

 

("Our memories linger here. I am willing to keep them.")

-

A/n: This chapter is rushed I'm so sorry. T^T