The Owner

버클's One Shot Collection

“Good evening passengers, this is your captain speaking and we have arrived in South Korea. It is 5.40pm here in South Korea and it is a clear weather today. I’m happy to be your captain for this flight. If you are here to travel, have fun! If you are back to your home country, then welcome home! Thank you for flying with us!”

As soon as the announcement ended, passengers in their seats started to get up and turned towards the top of their seats to retrieve their hand-carry luggage.

Just right before the economy class of the plane was the business class cabin. The seats are more spacious than the economy class, and there were lesser people in the cabin too. This makes more space on the aisle for passengers to collect their belongings.

However, amidst the busy cabin, sat a short-haired girl sitting on her seat as if she is glued to it, unlike the other passengers who flew with her. Moreover, she didn’t look like someone who is going to South Korea for a business trip, unlike the other passengers who are dressed in suits and blazers, or at least looked like someone on a business trip. She didn’t. Dressed in her favourite t-shirt, a jacket and a pair of jeans, Amber Liu looked more like a tourist than a music producer who is in Korea for an internship at the Korea HQ of her company.

Amber finally moved out of her seat as she retrieved her bag pack from the compartment above her seat. By then, all of the other passengers took their belongings, leaving a lonely black bag pack lying on the drawer-like compartment.

Everyone on the plane was really eager to leave the plane to explore the country or to reunite with loved ones, except a few patient passengers, which includes Amber Liu who is taking her own sweet time as she strolls out of the business class and walks to the jet bridge from the plane to the airport. While she was walking out, she greeted the cabin crew with gratitude for their care throughout the long flight from America.

The custom queue for foreigners is rather long since Amber took her time to walk, and it was the holiday season in some countries, thus the long queues around her. It took Amber 20 minutes before she is done with the immigration customs and is ready to collect her luggage that was checked in prior to the flight.

There were many other passengers who were on board on the same flight as Amber, waiting for their luggage rather patiently. Sure there were kids running around and chasing one another due to the big spaces, but that did not bother Amber too much as she was rather engrossed on her phone.

She was waiting for a text from a colleague who is based in Korea and she was expecting that colleague to fetch her from the airport to her hostel and the said colleague would bring her around the area as well as guide her in the company in her 3-month long stay in Korea.

As she was turning impatient for the text, it finally came as her phone vibrated from the message.

“I’ll be late!” texted the colleague.

“Just sit down and wait for me at the arrival hall! I will find you there!” another message came.

“Okay!” was all Amber replied to acknowledge that she got the messages.

Amber took her luggage filled with some clothes and necessities and wheeled it out through the arrival gates. She could see some families hugging one another as a form of welcoming them back home, and some tour guides holding up the names of the travel agency to lead those tourists to the bus that they were supposed to take, and some holding up people’s names in order to look for the client.

Amber walked leisurely to a seat as she found one near the arrival gates and settled herself down. Upon looking right at the empty seat next to her, she found a phone sitting on the seat as if that seat belongs to the iPhone 6s, white in colour.

Thinking that someone left it behind, Amber took the phone, attempting to find if anyone left the seat before she came, but it is as if she is looking for a needle in a hay sack with so many people around her. Holding onto the phone, in case the owner comes back to look for it or give the phone a call, Amber suddenly sees images that she isn’t familiar with while grabbing onto the device.

This shocked Amber for a while, as the footages continue to play while she held onto the phone. She then let go of the device temporarily, and the footages stopped appearing in her mind, before picking it up again and seeing the images again.

Amber was stunned at what she just experienced but was brought back to reality when she realises a small hand have been waving in front of her.

“Amber Liu??” the petite girl in front of her asked.

“Yeah. Are you Min? The company sent you here to guide me.” Amber tried speaking in Korean that she just learnt during the long flight. She is an avid fan of kdramas, but couldn’t speak proper Korean before and even after reading the conversational Korean book.

“Yeap! You can talk to me in English! I studied in the States before I came back!” Min replied.

“Oh My God! Thank goodness! I was very afraid of communication problems!” Amber sighed in relief.

“That is why I will be your guide!” Min assured.

“Oh, by the way, I found this handphone, but it seems like no one is coming back to claim it. I guess I will have to hold onto it for a while, but I might need your help when the owner calls back or something. I can’t speak Korean.” Amber confessed.

“Yeah sure! Definitely! I bet you must be hungry, let’s grab a bite!” Min suggested.

After having some Korean food in a food stand, Min brought Amber back to the hostel for her to rest for the day since she came after sitting on a long flight.

On the other hand, Amber couldn’t put her mind at ease whenever she sees the item that she just found. It was weird that the owner never called her on the phone and the phone seldom rings with messages. Even if so, she could not unlock it as it was password protected.

Whenever she holds onto the phone, footages keeps playing as if the device has its own memory. And with the time in the world that she has now, she could analyse those ‘memories’ that she saw throughout the day.

She sees these footages from the viewpoint of the handphone and saw the owner through these ‘memories’. It was a beautiful girl with a long and wavy brown hair. Her eyes exhibit ice-cold personality as she scrolls through the phone for a period of time. It is then a sudden ring on the phone that shocked the owner of the phone. Amber could see how the girl stared at the phone as if she was staring at her.

The owner displayed a mixture of emotions as she hesitated if she should open up the notification as she has not touched the phone ever since that notification that came in. Eventually, she gained the confidence and opened the notification of what it seems like a message. Amber saw how the owner’s eyeballs moved from left to right as if she was reading something. And approximately five seconds later, she saw the owner’s face fell into disappointment.

After that, it was more scrolling on the phone on what it seems like forever, during which, the owner displayed a sad emotion towards her surroundings. Then she saw the owner turning her head to her left before turning back to the mobile device.

The next thing she knew, the phone was placed face up so all Amber could see was the ceiling. To Amber’s surprise, she started hearing a conversation coming from the footage she was seeing in the iPhone that she was holding onto! It was in Korean obviously, and Amber understood nothing of it except some words like “rejected”, “University”, and “study” from the high school kdramas that she watched.

Then, she saw a palm covering her vision, and it started moving as if the owner took the phone with her out of the area she was previously at.

The phone is now facing a wall, and Amber guessed that she is in a bedroom with no lights, judging from the dark surroundings, the pillow, blanket and some soft toys. As the focus of the phone’s ‘memory’ becomes clearer, she sees a body lying on the bed, back facing the phone. Soon the owner started shaking and cries could be heard from Amber’s side as the owner hugged her soft toy.

Unknowingly, Amber felt the urge to go forward and hug the owner, wanting to comfort her and to tell her that everything will be alright. But she obviously can’t. 

 

A/N: this isnt a one shot, but will be multi chaptered. as for how many chapters can this go... i actually dont know so i am not creating a new story for this unless requested or it excceeds a number of chapters that i have in mind.