The Butterfly Lovers

버클's One Shot Collection

I studied your sleeping figure as you slept next to me, cuddling my warm body. Your brown hair falls down to the bed while your fringe falls across your face, covering it while you slept soundly. You were so busy the past few days with your project that you didn’t have enough sleep and when you are finally done with it yesterday, you slept early and through the night while hugging me.

Looking at you makes me think back how we met which really fascinates me.

Ever since I was born, I have a birthmark that is shaped like a butterfly at the back of my left hand. And surprisingly, that was sort of how we got to know one another too.

It was a cold snowy night as I was camping in the café, sinking in their sofa as I read my book there trying to find the warmth that was never felt at home. Jazz music were played in the café so the atmosphere there is suitable for reading. In fact, the café allows their customers to be there to read, so there are many others like me, sitting in the sofa or the seats and read over a cup of hot beverage.

I didn’t realise that the café was full that night because I was there since noon and I was engrossed in my book, until you came up to me and asked if you could share a seat with me.

“Yeah, sure. Just be as comfortable as possible.” I said with a smile.

You let out a wide smile as your offer got accepted.

You sat opposite me in another sofa while our drinks shared the same table, and you got out your book from your bag.

“Oh, you like this author too?” I asked when I realised that you are reading a book from one of my favourite authors.

“Yeah! His writing style is funny and unique! He never fails to make me laugh through his words.” You said while giggling, recalling some parts of the book that you read.

“Defintely! I read this book before, and I totally love how he ended this! It was an unexpected twist and…”

“WAIT! STOP! Don’t spoil this! I want to finish this by myself!” you stopped me from carrying on.

“Okay.” I said while laughing. “I wasn’t going to spoil this anyway, I wanted you to read this by yourself too and find out the ending yourself.” I added on.

“Yeah right.” You said, totally not convinced before you fall into the world of the book that you were reading.

Without us realising, it was close to midnight as other customers pack up to leave since it is near to the closing time of the café.

You closed your book, and reached out to your coffee on the table with your left hand to finish it. Upon finishing it, you hide both of your hands into your pocket since it is going to be cold outside and bid goodbye to me before leaving the café.

It was a Saturday afternoon that I saw you again in the same café. As per normal, you were lazing on the sofa while reading another book. This time, I joined you on the table instead since I presumed that you would have finished reading the previous one and wanted to discuss about the story with you since it is not every day that you get to meet someone you like the same author as you.

“Mind if I sit here?” I asked.

You looked up from your book and answered with a smile, “Of course not!”

“Looks like you have finished the previous one?” I asked again.

“Yeah! I finished it yesterday. And like you have said, the ending was so unexpected! I didn’t know you could do that!” she said with enthusiasm.

“I know right! I was dumbfounded when I read the ending. It felt realistic and yet… fantasy-like at the same time!” I was getting excited as well.

“Omg! Yes! That was what I was thinking too!” you said.

We chatted a bit more on the author and his other stories before we went back to the world of our books.

Seeing that our drinks are finishing, I suggested to buy and treat you to another cup of one.

“So, what would you like to drink? I’m buying.” I asked.

“Oh, you don’t have to!” you resisted.

“I insist. It is not every day that you get to meet someone that has the same book tastes as you do.” I said.

“Nono, it’s really okay!” you insisted.

“I said I am treating, and that’s final.” I said while taking my wallet out before heading to the counter to order.

The next thing I knew, I felt your right hand on my wrist, stopping me from walking towards the counter.

Alarmed, I looked down to my wrist and saw that your hand has the exact same butterfly birthmark as I do.

“Is that… a butterfly birthmark on the back of your hand?” I asked in astonishment.

“Yeah. It’s quite fascinating isn’t it? For a birthmark to be shaped like a butterfly.” You answered.

“Not really… because I have one too…” I brushed your fascination off.

“Ohmygosh! Really?! You do?!” you got excited that we share the same birthmark.

“Yeah, look! Here it is!” I took my left hand out from my pocket and pointed to the birthmark.

Surprisingly, both of our birthmarks fall on the same position of our hands.

“This is even cooler to have a butterfly birthmark!” you said with excitement. “People used to get fascinated over my birthmark every time they see it! But I was like ‘nothing fascinating actually’ towards it.” You continued.

“It is such a coincidence! We should be friends!” I said. “I’m Amber!” I introduced.

“And I’m Krystal.” You did the same.

The rest of the time spent in the café goes to knowing each other more and not spent on the books that we brought along, intending to finish.

It is always by coincidence that we would see each other in the café, even at odd timings like weekday afternoon when everybody is supposed to be working or studying. Even we find it surprising to find one another at the café every time we are there.

So from these small bonding over a cup of coffee and some books, we progressed to lunch dates as friends, and road trips to the another part of the country to have fun.

In such a short time, we became close friends, calling one another out for a movie date and so on.

And then one day, as I hold your hand while we crossed the road because you were paying more attention to your phone instead of the traffic.  I felt that it is too dangerous for you to do that, I held onto your right hand with my left and lead you across the road.

Even when we were done with crossing the road, for some reasons, I didn’t want to let go. You seemed like you didn’t want me to let go too as you intertwined your fingers with mine.

From then on, our relationship changed from friends to lovers.

While reminiscing those past few months, I felt the sheet moving, and you opened your eyes and look up to me to find me awake.

“How long have you been awake?” you asked.

I looked up at the clock and answered, “about 15 minutes?”

“So long? Then what were you doing while staring at my face?” you questioned.

“Nothing much. Just thinking about how we met, and… this.” I said, while lifting our hands that have been intertwined since last night and pointed to the birthmark.

“It really is fascinating.” You said while I nodded my head in agreement.

“I guess we are fated to be lovers.” I commented.

“Actually, when I was young, there was once when my parents brought me to visit my grandmother. And she said something like, the one who I am destined to be with would have the exact same birthmark like I do on the back of his palm. I didn’t really believe it and understand it then, but I do now.” She confessed.

“Just that she didn’t expect that you would end up with a girl though.” I added which brought in laughter to the two of us.

“I am pretty sure she didn’t mind. She loves me a lot.” You assured, before cuddling into my arms, a sign that you are going to sleep in.

I smiled to myself as I hugged you, letting you to fall back to sleep. 

 

A/N: The Butterfly Lovers is also another Chinese legend... it's like the Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet because both didn't end up together, but they died too T.T and legend says that after they died, they were reunited together as butterflies as a pair of butterflies emerged from their tomb. i think that was briefly how the story goes, correct me if i am wrong because i heard this a very long time ago hahahaha

but of course, i wouldn't want to write such a sad story hahahahahah. got this idea of the birthmark thing from another chinese song... yeap. your author is actually more into cpop than kpop actually......