The Red Thread

버클's One Shot Collection

I woke up one day after a weird dream with some weird old guy with a white beard. But I brushed it off thinking that it is just another weird dream that visited me while I was in a deep slumber.

Waking up, I checked my phone to find a message from my boyfriend.

“Sorry, I will be busy for the next few days, so we won’t be able to meet up again.” The message read.

I let out a small sigh because it has been days since I last saw him due to our busy work schedules and I was annoyed because I was looking forward that we would be able to meet up some time this week.

I got out of my bed and headed to the washroom to freshen myself up as I get ready to go on a shopping trip with my sister, something we had agreed on but never fulfilled it until today.

Today was really weird though because when I walk on the streets heading to the mall, I see one end of a red thread being tied on the pinky finger of the passer-by. For couples, some of their end of the red thread belongs to their other halves, while for some, it isn’t as they disappeared into thin air.

I looked at my hands and found a red thread tied to my finger too.

I frowned seeing such a weird encounter and thought if it is an event being organised in the vicinity.

“Jess, did you see a red thread being tied on her pinky?” I whispered into her ears while pointing down to the pinky finger of a woman in front of us.

“What red thread?” she asked.

I frowned and turned to her, seeing the same red thread being tied to her pinky finger.

“There.” I said while lifting her right hand up. “You have it too.” I pointed out.

My sister frowned as her eyebrows reached to meet one another.

“Krystal, are you okay?” she asked. “Shall we cancel this shopping trip instead?” her voice filled with concern.

“Nonono I am fine.” as I waved my hands sideways causing my red thread to move along. “We can continue shopping.” I assured her.

I see more people with red thread tied on their pinky finger in the mall and I am more than determined to find out the reason why.

As I got home that night, dead tired from the shopping trip, but the determination to find out more on the particular red thread that I see is stronger than my fatigue as I my laptop and settled down in my sofa, wanting to search for the meaning of the red thread.

“The red thread is said to be tied on one’s pinky finger, and the other end of the red thread is most likely your other half.” The webpage read.

“It is a Chinese belief that the red thread is tied by the Chinese cupid to bring couples together.” I scrolled further.

“It can also be used in a phrase whereby one becomes a matchmaker, matchmaking a couple together.”

“Ahhhh so that what it is.” I said as my curiosity came to an answer.

“But why am I able to see it?” I questioned myself.

After many days of waiting, I am finally able to see my boyfriend. We met at his house, planning to spend the day in cuddles, wanting to make up for the lost days.

As we were getting prepared to watch a variety show together, his phone rang and he excused himself into the room to take the call.

I frowned because he felt so distant all of a sudden.

He came back 5 minutes later and got back into his original position as I snuggled closer to him on the sofa.

He grabbed my hand and placed it on his lap while our hands are still intertwined together.

I looked at our hands briefly and saw the red thread that was tied onto our fingers. Then, I saw something really unusual.

I froze as the thought came to me and I didn’t realise I was staring at our hands.

The ends of our threads disappeared further into thin air. My end wasn’t tied to his pinky, and his wasn’t tied to mine.

I was woken up from my thoughts by his calls to my name.

“Hey, as much as I want to cuddle together, but… I gotta go… there are work matters that needed my attention.” He said.

“W-why...?” I asked.

“Nothing much. I will send you home before going back to the office.” He brushed off.

“This late…?” I questioned further.

“Yeah. They said they need this by tomorrow.” He shrugged his shoulders and pouted.

I was sent home in his car. We just said a brief goodbye before he left. He didn’t come out to send me to my doorstep like he used to do. He didn’t give me a goodbye kiss like he used to.

I was overthinking as I sat down on my sofa and unknowingly, I started crying.

I was flipping through my photo album that was filled with our pictures as I cried harder, crying more as I progressed page-by-page.

I then came across a picture I had with Amber. She is my high school best buddy and we stayed in contact even after we graduated. However, as we got busy with our lives, we stayed in contact lesser, and the last time I saw her was 2 years ago during her sister’s wedding.

I frowned as I thought that it was weird how this picture came out in this album when it is supposed to be in the album where I put my high school pictures.

The picture was taken at the school’s fair as we were forced to take it by Luna, Victoria and Sulli, three other girls that were in our clique then. We stood side-by-side as we posed with the big Christmas tree behind.

I took the picture out from the album and brought it up for a closer look, reminiscing on those times where I felt happy being entertained by her. Days where I didn’t have a problem with relationships. Days where only exams and tests matters the most and days where what to eat became our biggest problem in life.

I took a closer look at the picture as I saw the red thread appearing again.  

Our hands were close to one another.

The red thread hung between us…

With our ends connecting to one another…

I sniffed. 

 

A/N: hellooooo!!!! happy new year dearest readers! hope you enjoy this while i run awayyyyyyyy to hide.