Chapter 7

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We were almost though the forest when I tripped and stumbled on the ground. My brother quickly helped me up and we kept running; so close were we to the opening. But that all changed when my brother all of a sudden spun me ahead and ducked me down with a hard push of his hand to the dirt ground. In a flash, I saw my brother being thrown like a rag doll some feet away. My eyes widen in shock.

A shadow emerged from one side of the dense bamboo forest cackling with laughter.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" It questioned mockingly.

I lost my voice. I couldn't even get a scream out I was that terrified. I watched as he approached me.

"Well aren't you interesting. So much like a little man, but you're a girl. Poor thing let me end your misery for you quickly." Just as he approached in a slow torturous way I heard a battle cry and saw my brother lung at the monster. I was suprised that after what he did to him, throwing him like nothing; my brother could still get up. But I saw the damage that it did him too, his sides were glistening in what I can be sure was his own blood.

My brother launched himself at the monster with a quick and powerful punch to the face. But it was futile. It didn't even faze the monster, hell; it didn't look like it even injured him. My brother, reared back in pain instead, holding his injured hand.

"You stay away, you damn demon!" My brother screamed, putting himself between me and that thing.

The monster only smirked. "Oh, I assume you've heard of me?"

"Of course I do! You're the damn thing that dry the entirety of dead corpses on the battlefield and murdered the innocent villagers all over, and now you've murdered mine!"

The thing only continued to chuckle and smirk. "Of course, can't have my little secret be know now can I? Besides, they deserve it. Spreading lies, greedy little leeches, they are no better than what I am; they are just as monsters. But at least I can deal the real punishment. And......what's not fun in having a little killing spree?"

 

At first I agreed with the monster's logic, but the last bit just made me nauseous.  A monster will always be a monster one way or another.

 

My brother tried to put up a fight against him but it was no use, that thing was fast and powerful. Against him we were mere toys. I sat frozen on the dirt ground as my brother tried to fight him without any weapons and the thing laughing with amusement.

When I finally broke my trance I did the most stupidest thing yet; I charged at the monster myself. I don't know where I got the courage from or even if I was sane at the time. But I was so close to my freedom from my own monsters (my parents) that I had been dealing with all my life that something in me just snapped. To hell with this, I wasn't going to die here. I refused.

 

I guess my brother understood too, because he didn't try to stop me from fighting along with him.

 

But all things turn out the same when you fight against a monster or demon. You lose.

 

In one strike, it got my brother as he tried to shield me from one of its attacks and it got him by his neck and sank its teeth into him. His screams could be heard all the way to the heavens. In seconds, the struggling of my brother stopped. I watched the light in my brother's eyes slowly fade as his body hit the ground limp.

Behind him the sun was starting to rise.

The monster turned to me next and just like that sank its fangs in my neck too. The feeling of being burned alive was the sensation I felt run through my body. I felt my blood boil from the inside, my muscles struggling to work but disobeyed me. I could hear my own screams whistling through the bamboo trees. I was beginning to see black spots dance across my sight. I looked to my brother gasping as he clawed his way towards me in a last ditch effort, but it was useless.

 

Once the vampire was done draining me of my blood, he just it's lips in satisfaction and laughed; once again disappearing without a trace.

 

I was going to die. But I so badly did not want to....I wanted to live and be free.

 

I looked at my brother one last time with tears in my eyes. He stared back one last time, his hands reaching out to me fruitlessly. He mouthed something to me with his last breath before the light in his eyes was cut completely.

I would soon join him.

The last words he could muster out were, "You must live."

 As if that were possible now. But thank you, brother, for fighting for me even as you die.

I felt my eyes close shut.

We will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter