Chapter 22

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say that I felt more human than I have for years, even more so than when I was human, is an understatement. Being with the princess felt enlightening and peaceful for me, something I've never felt.

The morning we woke up after our (my) impromptu confession through lip smacking Soojung and being in each other's arms, we felt connected. She had a content smile when she fluttered her eyes open to find mine staring right back at her softly. This time, she kissed me first out of the blue.

We discussed a few things regarding our newly established relationship, if you want to call it that. I revealed that I wanted to court her properly like how a lady should be. I didn't have any experience in that department since I myself was of the female gender and I never had experience of any sort of dating in my life. All my so called "dating" experience came from my parents being s and pushing suitors on me and later forcing me to marry an old geezer. Thank heavens that did not go through. But I was willing to give it a shot to learn and to see what I could do. Even with no experience, I already had a set mindset of how proper courting should be in my head and from observations of couples from all over the kingdom in my travels and just from what I can imagine in my head.

The only issue was we could not let it out that we were together or in the process of courting. Even if both Soojung and I fancied each other respectfully, the social stigma still put a wedge between us. It might not be too huge a wedge since I was in good standings with her father, the Emperor and I was a highly decorated military commanding officer. Still, that inkling of problem is still there. Besides that issue, my other two larger secrets still hung above me like a bladed pendulum, slowly swinging back and forth waiting for its chance to be tipped to one side just a little bit and cause it to come crashing down on everything, slicing away that carefully built bliss. The factors were against me, but for the first time I released my serious and calculative mindset and just let my emotions take the rein on this.

We arrived back at the palace exactly 2 weeks like Soojung claimed but found the Emperor had started to travel the kingdom under hush secrecy. Most of the palace folks did not know he was gone except a select few and that included Yifan who informed me once Soojung and I stepped foot in front of the gates.

Things were not looking good it seemed on the battlefield, or why else would the Emperor himself be travelling under secrecy and the shadow of night.

Soojung became distraught and anxious for her father's safety and for the kingdom's for that matter. The only thing that could calm her was my presence and I did not fail her. In the dead of night after I had fed on fresh blood and changed my clothes to avoid suspicion, I would sneak my way to her room in the shadows to comfort her anxiety. It seemed the only way that she could sleep soundly and peacefully was in my arms.

 

 

"Princess, do not worry about your father. He is a strong man." I reassured her after her father had been gone after a week with no word.

"I know, but I am worried. He is the only parent I have left." She murmured grimly.

I her hair and laid a gentle kiss to her forehead. "I know, but do not fret. If anything were to happen to him, you still have me. I swore to him I would protect you as a loyal soldier. And now I have sworn to you that I would protect you as so and as your lover. I will not let anything happen."

Soojung relaxed a bit at my words and actions. She wasn't completely convinced but at least the tension that she had been holding in lessened. She snuggled into my right side - I've asked her to saying it was my better side, but in reality it was to prevent her from finding no heart beat if she were to rest her cheek to my left side.

"Sleep, Soojung." I lulled.

And sleep she did.

 

 

It wasn't until after 2 weeks did the Emperor graced us with his return, but the expression he displayed spelled something troubling.

"It doesn't look good, Yiyun, Yifan. It seems the other neighboring kingdoms are getting restless with the battles and little progress. Soon there will be a major shift in power and battle will be upon us all soon." The Emperor explained to me and Yifan privately.

"Besides major battle, there has also been some....other problems arising."

Yifan and I looked at each other briefly in curiosity and glanced at the Emperor waiting for him to explain.

"There have been rumors of a rogue warrior killing soldiers and civilians in a horrendous way. Almost ungodly."

I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat. There is this uneasy feeling I have.

"We do not know what it is but, we are looking into it. The way people are being killed, torn at the throat almost no blood left; it is horrendous to even describe nonetheless witness. It not anywhere near us but to have this happen all over it is unsettling. So for now just make sure everything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter