Chapter 19

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You want to know? I'll tell you."

Soojung nodded waiting with anticipation.

"I could take those wolves on because when I was younger I trained extremely hard in the wild and took on animals like them bare handedly. Call it survival training that I was thrown into. I could not return to civil life until I passed the training." It wasn't a total lie; I did go through something similar when I first started off as a new monster.

Soojung gasped. "That's insane!"

There a hint of doubt in her eyes. Even though she bought the fact that I trained as such, being able to take on a whole pack and destroy them like I did is a whole other story. But luckily for me she bought it. For now.

I laughed bitterly, "Oh it was. But it was the only way to..... Control myself properly and be...... disciplined."

It was true, it took a while to control myself to the point I was now and boy, was I bitter at the beginning at all the I had to go through but looking back it was worth it. I was more humanistic and myself.

"That sounds awful. But it did come in handy. And I want to thank you for that."

I shook my head. "No need to -"

My eye twitched. Soojung kissed my cheek in a sign of thanks and I felt like going over the moon.

The princess was red faced from her action and quickly covered her embarrassment and gratitude with her cold princess attitude. "Make sure you don't do anything stupid like that again, stupid. You have a sword. Use it. And no peaking at me like you did! I know you saw!"

I couldn't hold in my laughter in and let it bellow out. Her embarrassed blushing face coupled with her attempt to hide behind her coldness was too funny and adorable to put into words.

For some reason, I leaned in and kissed the crown of her head, further making her flush red.

"I know. I'll try."

She scampered deeper in the blanket and to my chest, muffling out she was tired and wanted to sleep and saying a swift goodnight.

I watched as she pretended to sleep again to avoid confronting my action of kissing her on the crown of her head. Her pretending slowly drifted to real sleep with her breathing evenly in and out. The embers of the fire died along with her peaceful sleep. I could not sleep but I could still close my eyes and assume I could sleep. I drowned out the world and just focused on Soojung's even breathing and rhythmic heart beat. It was soothing to hear. Making sure the blanket was secure tightly to block out the chill of the breeze for the princess, I closed my eyes and waited for dawn to emerge.

 

 

I was awoken by the sounds of the horses neighing and pawing at the dirt ground wanting to feed and the princess's muffled moan as she tried to shift in my arms to a better position and continue sleeping. Her flowery smell hit me full force in my olfactory sense making me cringe in satisfaction and concern.

I already got a taste of her blood last night and that drove me over the edge wanting to claim her for my own blood source. It awoken a protective instinct of a different kind that was there but in the dark corner, and now with her so close - in my arms, it only reinforced that other desire in me that I had not know before. I could guess what it was but it scared me to think that I would develop such a thing. Not to mention I had doubts as to if that development was of the pure kind or of the impure kind influenced by that side of me. Do I only want her as a blood source and an outlet of primal desire, or as something more....humanistic and cordial? Will she understand my position? Will she understand that I am not of her kind? Will she understand the controversy?

 

I felt a dainty finger caress my furrowed eyebrows, knocking me back to reality from my thinking.

Soojung was looking at me with concern at my serious face. I relaxed my muscles promptly not wanting her worry her further and have her ask what was wrong with me.

"What's got you so serious?" She inquired. I guess I couldn't avoid her questioning.

"Nothing."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter