Chapter 2

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Est. 256 C.E. China

 

 

 

It is hard to have lived a long time and not die.

 

 You watch everybody’s life flicker like a candle; bright and burning at first. But as time progresses the wicker melts, and the flame that once shone and burned so bright slowly fades and then get snuffed out by the wind in old age or by something else. You watch as the ones you come to love and care fall victim to heaven’s decree that it is your time.

 

That is how my life is; reminiscing about the past and the people that once occupied it and slowly watching leave this organic life to trade it in for a life of six feet under and imagination of an afterlife.

I sound horrendously cynical but who would not when you cannot be harmed, cannot be killed, cannot die and enjoy the blissful mirage of a life after.

Some might call it a gift. Some call it a curse. I call it both.

 

I sighed heavily, breathing in the moist dew of a dreary morning with a cloak of fog surrounding the area. There are no birds to occupy the fields, only tents and grunting of men. Some finally deciding to break the day anew, some already up, not because of habit, but because of necessity. Others are kept awake all night because of injuries.

This was a scene of what a camp during battle is like.

The supposed tranquility of camp is broken when the horns sound and a booming voice announcing, “Fall into ranks!”

 

“And a good morning to you too.”

I did not need to turn to know who it was. It was Lau, a Lieutenant dressed in his battle armor.

I hummed in affirmation.

“Com’on Yiyun, stop being so sulky all the time. I don’t think I’ve seen you show any emotion besides that serious mug-shot of yours in all my years.” Lau said jokingly.

I smirked a bit, “True. But this is a face for war. Seriousness.”

He openly laughed and slapped me across my back. I didn’t flinch.

He did though. Probably hurt his hand and his ego. “My gods, are you made out of granite or something. That hurt!” He imitated as if his hand hurt more than it probably did.

I chuckled, “I told you not to hit me.”

He rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Sheesh. Look at you! So small and fragile looking, but once on the battlefield you’re like a beast with some sort of vengence. No wonder why everyone is afraid of you.”

Turning and clasping him on his shoulder laughing I said, “Exactly. Expect the unexpected. It’s a good tactic in combat.”

Lau crossed his arms over his chest in mock annoyance, “Well either way, you might want to gear up. The Emperor is coming to assess the damages and boost morale. Can’t look stupid in front of him now can we, Captain?” With that he walked away to rally the men and form ranks.

I strutted back into the tent we shared. Captain.

I had only joined a few years back but because of my “prowess” I made Captain almost immediately.

 

 

How ironic.

 

 

My “prowess” was because I was a monster, figuratively and literally.

 

As I strapped on my layers of armor and donned the garb of a ranked military officer in the army, I couldn’t help but relive my memories of my monstrosity. I was created by something impure, something demonic. Yet I did have it to thank for my new found freedom.

My freedom from the restraints of society, from filial piety I was not meant for, from a life not nothing colored, feeling trapped like a cage bird. Only ever able to gaze from my perch but never feel the winds of freedom underneath my wings.

 

As I reached for my sword, I stared at the gleam of the metal reflecting my reflection. This was who I am now.

 

I remem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter