Chapter 36

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the battle around us raged, we were in our own little world battling it out. I glared at him menacingly; my rage at what he had done to Lau was uncontainable. The more I stared him down the more pissed and rage filled I became.

"You ing ." I seethed.

Buwei grinned in glee.

"Yes? What can I do for you?" He mocked.

"How about kill yourself. That's a rather good start."

He laughed maniacally. "Ha! As if I can die. I am an immortal!"

"There are more than one way to kill an immortal; nothing lasts forever."

"Wrong!" His smirking face disappeared quickly. "Immortals last forever, hence the name. I will last forever; even you won't be able to kill me. By the way, I'm curious as to how you escaped the jaws death. I saw you peeling away to ashes."

It was my turn to smirk concededly. "That's my little secret."

Buwei scowled and sneak attacked, lunging at me with his glaive aiming for my neck. I parried his attack narrowly just as his gleaming blade nearly grazed my neck. Even without having the blade near my skin, I could feel the sharpness of the metal. The intensity of his power vibrated through my staff at his heavy swing. We exchanged slash after slash, each of us trying to get the upper hand be we were both skilled, able to match each other's blow splendidly. I gritted my teeth as he was able to sheer my left flank's armor with the pointed end of his blade. In exchange I was able to sever apart his shoulder guard.

We were like a blur on the battlefield. If it were not for the fact that every soldier was fighting to stay alive, they would have dropped their weapons and stared in both horror and awe at the spectacle that was our battle. The surrounding sounds of screams, battle cries, rumbling of footsteps and horses were our orchestra that accompanied our battle royale.

"I cannot wait to send you to hell along with your precious friend!" Buwei taunted.

His taunt only made me angrier and more determined to end this with my own hands.

"I'll make you pay worse than hell for his death!" I seethed.

Wave after wave, we fought; clashing against one another until one of his strikes completely truncated my glaive in half like a knife through butter. Buwei's downward slash not only rendered my glaive useless now, but it also cut deep into my armor. Luckily I was quick enough to pull away before his followed through with his momentum or else I would have been surely cleaved in half. Unluckily, I did not escape unscathed.

I panted heavily holding on to my injured shoulder. I glanced swiftly down to assess the damage done and my eyes widened.

. I cursed internally. I was badly hurt and I was beginning to feel the burning sensation similar to the last time Buwei and I clashed. He must be using the same type of material in the dagger he tried to kill me with in his glaive. That was why I was now sporting a large gash through my armor and why my skin felt like it was on fire, making me feel like all my power was getting drained.

 

And Buwei knew it.

 

He cackled hysterically.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I hurt you?" He taunted. "My bad."

I growled at him.

Buwei wagged his finger disapprovingly. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now, now, now. No need to be so angry. It was only a matter of time before the victor, me, would have emerged victoriously."

"You will not be victorious. Never!!" I shouted, still trying to hold on as long as I can with my strength deteriorating every second. I needed to heal properly and the only way was to apply the special ointment that my mother sent me, but in order to do so required time and stillness; both of which I did not have at the moment.

"You know, since you are here so injured and pitiful, I'll let you in on a little secret. Call it a final parting gift if you will for defying even my expectations before I see to it that you are killed personally. And this time I will watch your body disintegrates away like ashes."

"How kind of you." I snarled sarcastically.

He smirked. "You can say that this little war is brought to you by yours truly but this is only the beginning. The Emperor of the West is under my control. Funny how a little persuasion goes a long way."

"Wait, you mean you.....you, compelled him?!" I said shocked.

Buwei snorted. "Of course. Easiest thing to do ever. Just think, I have a whole nation under my rule; no one even suspects that he is nothing more than a puppet. With him as a false figure head I was able to negotiate a fitting alliance with the other kingdoms. Soon, your kingdom as you know it will lay waste and be forgotten for all eternity as all will convene on your puny little kingdom at once! And I shall rule the mass once and for all when it is over!!"

"Not even going to rule them all from the start are you?" I probed.

"Of course not, why would I do that? That would be no fun with such a simple approach. No, the more chaotic and twisted a path is to power, the better. It makes for a better game; a Death Game." He proclaimed.

That damn bastard was going for a death game played amongst other nations for his own entertainment. I could not let him have his way. I stood up on wobbly legs and stood my ground.

"Sorry, but I will never let you have your way." I said pointedly.

Buwei laughed loudly. "Oh? In your condition, I doubt you can scratch me." He took up his glaive again and twirled it in his hand with ease.

"Just for your insolence, I'll have extra fun having my way with your princess."

My eyes widened like saucers. "You...!" I was lost for words.

Buwei smirked triumphantly. "Oh, yes. The princess, Soojung, I believe. Thought I wouldn't have dug up a little dirt on you?"

"You wouldn't dare...." I seethed out hotly.

"Ha! Do you think I care? She is a fine specimen, is she not?" He his lips like a savaged beast. "I'll make her beg for mercy, screaming for death right before I grant her, her pleading wish. Oh, the wonderful look on her face, I can just imagine it. Her face beading with sweat, mouth opened and begging for mercy as I rip her from the inside out. I'll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter