Chapter 10

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Your technique is not bad, but they still do not match mine," I smirked triumphantly.

Yifan and I decided to duel it out on a rather pleasant morning. While he was breathing heavily and sweating buckets, I hardly looked exhausted or spent like he was. I know, it's not fair, I have a monstrous advantage, but come on, for a guy who could keep up to such a degree as mine, that my friend is talent.

"We shall see about that." Yifan challenged; with that he raised his sword in a striking manner and lunged at me with a growl.

I side-stepped easily, reading his movements and brought my sword to meet his with a loud clash. He backed up to stabilize himself, gripping his sword with two hands and taking a huge gulp of air before advancing once again with precise jabs left and right.

I parried the jabs and brandished my sword in an arc, pushing him further back. 

Yifan tried to sweep under my legs but I was faster and tumbled out of the way.

He kept maneuvering in a weird pattern until finally I felt my back hit the wall. I was shocked he got me fenced against a wall. He jumped and brought down his sword. Luckily, I was quick enough to block, but the force was still strong enough to make me grit my teeth. Damn.

 I feinted and when he took the bait I striked.

His sword clattered out of his hands and onto the floor. I placed my sword near his neck, "Yield."

He sighed defeated, "Dang, you got me Yiyun. Every time." He sounded petty miffed, so I nudged him playfully.

"Don't be so sour, Yifan. You are one of the best." I reassured him. "Just....I'm better," I added smugly.

He threw me a glare. "Har-Har."

I let out a laugh at his facial scowl.

 

"Up so early practicing again I see."

 

I stopped my laughing to turn around with Yifan to see who it was, but it was pretty predictable to who had come to visit us; Su-ji.

She looked lovely in a silk dress trimmed with pink and light floral designs on the tapestry.

Both Yifan and I smiled at her and walked over to greet her.

"We'd give you a hug, but pretty sure you don't want to ruin your nice clothes with our sweat." Yifan greeted happily while wiping down his perspiration to look presentable.

Su-ji hid her laughter behind her sleeve. "Well at least you both look rather good in sweat."

I smirked, "Oh course. It adds to our appeal doesn't it?" I wiggled my eyebrow for good measures.

Su-ji blushed and looked anywhere but us. Yifan slapped my chest lightly, "Really?" he said dryly.

"What?" I innocently responded.

The three of us had made it almost a tradition to meet up whenever we could on our days off; well both Yifan's and I (and that was not often). Su-ji clutched what a small basket behind her, and I knew what it was. The smell of the aroma gave it away. Pointing to the basket behind her I said, "So, you brought us breakfast?"

Su-ji nodded slightly and produced the basket in front of her with a smile. "Yes." She replied. "Freshly made too. I thought you two might be hungry after your training."

"I'll say!" Yifan's expression could be compared to that of a salivating dog. It was disgusting at the same time amusing to see. I gave him a pointed look to remind him that we were in the presence of a lady and not to act like a fool, but I'm pretty sure we all have acted like fools once in a while; presence of a lady or not.

 

 

Sitting down and devouring Su-ji's homemade food brought good memories back to me, and yes, I could eat human food. It's not like since I've become what I am, I can't taste anything, on the contrary since my senses are more advanced the foods' profile is more accentuated and occasionally slams you in the face whether good or bad. It's not a necessity for me to eat human food (I just need blood, duh) but it helps to keep that facade of my human traits and it's a good anchor for me to remind me that I am human in all the sense but that technicality. Finding things to ground me to my humanistic side is what pushes me forward. I will say though the split personality between that cynical, demonic, creational bane of humanity versus that good-hearted, gentle, fighte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter