Chapter 32

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I turned left and right to get my bearings of the troops present. I was assigned to the most dangerous part of the battlefield, the infantry that would lead the charge and come in contact with the opposing army first. We were tasked with the job of breaking the other army's formation and drive a wedge large enough so that the central army could counter strike. It was a job that held the most casualties, but it was a job that meant great fortune should anyone survive to tell the tale.

"Ah, you can smell the tension in the air." Lau joked and taking a whiff of the air.

"As sarcastic as always." I chided shaking my head.

"Loosen up, I always see you so tense. Go get laid already."

I really wanted to smack him repeatedly to get him to shut up. I pinched the bridge of my nose; by gods was this nostalgic bantering with my lieutenant like old times.

"I'm going to ignore your comment for the time being. Come on, we should go, there is a briefing with the other commanders." I waved my and at him.

We arrived to the array of commanding officers situated around a model of the battlefield with little figures to represent the different infantries both ours and the opposing side.

"Here, this is where we will make our stand. I want Captain Yiyun to lead the first wave of infantry and open up a path for the main army to advance. Once the Yiyun unit had broken through send in the fourth army. As for the outer rims, re-station commander Lee to the southeastern front with the cavalry and a third of the third army. The Western kingdom is sure to take advantage of the terrain. If we can get a holding on the southern fronts we can push them back if they get too close. The rest of the third army will converge with the fourth army once lieutenant commander Chen gives the signal. I want the second army lined to the back as reinforcements, do not move unless I give the orders. The first army lead by me will be on standby until further notice. Dismissed!" Concluded chief commander Hyou.

I pondered the formation that the commander wanted and saw flaws with the plan. Why would he leave the first army on standby and the west completely unguarded? It was an interesting strategic plan that played by force, not by wit. Commander Hyou was an instinctual general when it came to warfare. It would be interesting to see how this plan of his played out tomorrow when the first of the troops would deploy and the beginning of bloodshed will start.

 

 

As soon as dawn broke and the sun graced the earth with its rays the horizon was decorated with the gleam of metal and men lined with weapons on either side of the battlefield. Mounted on my horse I watched as the final lot of soldiers linked formations.

"Well this is the day, my friend." Lau came clopping next to me on his horse, his glaive swinging at his side. "We should drink once night falls and toast our victory."

I snorted. "I intend to."

The trumpets sounded signaling the beginning of a long and potentially bloody battle. Time to get to work.

With a war cry I lead my unit charging towards the enemy. Crashing into the first line of the western kingdom's soldiers diminished a good amount of my soldiers but I kept pushing my way forward swinging my glaive like a whirlwind.

"Kill the one on the horse! That is the commander!" the opposing leader of the frontline unit bellowed. "Do not let him break through the formation!"

 

Too slow.

 

I raised my glaive over my head and brought it down on the horde of soldiers below my galloping horse like the wrath of heaven. Slash right, six soldiers down. Slash to the left eight soldiers down; and the cycle repeated itself. The sweet sound of metal meeting metal and the slight rasping sound of material ripping and then the squish of flesh being torn apart brought great delight to my battle crazed state. I pushed forward as arrows began to hail down from above and foolish foot soldiers moved forward to intercept me, thinking they could reap a high reward for bring me down.

 

Foolish soldiers indeed.

 

I was not given the fearful title of the Demon Captain for nothing.

With another roar that I unleashed, I charged ahead of my men to pave a more defined path for them to pick the enemy off one by one. Soon t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter