Chapter 24

My Heart Beats After Thousands of Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Time flew by like the leaves of autumn being swept away by the changing winds. I hardly paid attention to whatever was being said in the Great Hall, focusing solely on the one person standing in the middle of it all; Song Qian.

How long has it been since I have last seen her? At least 3 or more years.

She is still as beautiful, youthful and vibrant as ever. Nothing has changed honestly, she still carried herself highly in a rather humble manner and as kind hearted. You could tell from the way her eyes shone and the politeness that she displayed throughout the gathering.

 

 

Once the gathering was adjourned and the rest of the ministers and royals, it was just Soojung, myself, the Emperor and Song Qian left in the Great Hall.

"Come, I want you two to meet Song Qian personally." The Emperor beckoned.

As if on command, I strided towards the two, absentmindedly leaving Soojung.

I bowed to the two respectfully before introducing myself properly.

"It is an honor to meet you, Song Qian. I am Captain Yiyun."

Song Qian gave me a sparkling look and lowered her head as well. "It is a pleasure to meet you. Once again."

Besides me, Soojung saw the exchange and huffed, making her presence known.

"And you must be the princess, Soojung." Song Qian addressed.

Soojung had a rather unpleasant look on her face and crossed her arms. "Of course, who else would I be?"

"Soojung." The Emperor warned. "Be nice to our guest."

Like a spin of a top, Soojung's attitude changed drastically into one of innocence and smiled. "Yes, Father."

"Well then, Song Qian and I will tour the gardens for a bit. Yiyun, Soojung."

With that the Emperor escorted Song Qian out of the Great Hall, chatting lightly as they headed towards the garden on the southern side of the palace. Before they left, Song Qian turned towards me and gave me a meaningful glance. It was a 'be careful' sign and a 'we will talk more later' message.

I nodded in her direct as a sign of message received. When I turned back to Soojung who was standing beside me, she gave me an icy glare with her arms crossed. For what reason, I don't know.

"What?" I asked.

"Really?" She hissed.

I raised an eyebrow at her indicating I didn't catch what she meant.

She rolled her eyes at me and stormed away without a word.

I blinked once. Twice. What?

I ran after her, catching up and lightly tugged at her wrist.

"Hold up, what is wrong, princess?" I asked earnestly.

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't think you don't know."

"I really don't. What is with the attitude change?" I firmly said.

Soojung tugged her wrist out of my hand and said, "Never mind. By heavens, you are so stupid." She her heels and walked away from me, leaving me in the hallway stranded and confused.

The was that?

 

 

The dinner held in honor of Song Qian went smoothly with wondrous dishes and free flowing wine from the royal cellars. Throughout the dinner, Soojung did not acknowledge my presence nor did she speak to me more than a few curt words out of necessity. She kept for neutral yet cold facade up all throughout dinner and with the other guests. I pondered the reason for her reverting back to her once again aloof attitude.

"Why are you staring intently at the princess for?" Yifan took the seat next to me with his wine goblet in hand.

I shrugged my shoulder and silently sipped my wine.

"Well it's unlike the both of you lately to be so.....distant. What's with the sudden change all of a sudden? You two are usually so awkwardly lovey."

"I wish I could answer that for you, but I can't. Beats me why Soojung is so cold towards me since Song Qian arrived at the palace."

Understanding dawned on Yifan's eyes that got me raising my eyebrow.

"Ah, I see now."

"I see what, exactly."

Yifan gave me a rather weird cackling laugh and patted me on the shoulder, shaking his head in the process.

"My dear friend, the reason why the princess is so cold towards you is your complete obliviousness since the arrival of the goddess that is before the grand palace, Song Qian."

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "And what do you mean by obliviousness?"

Yifan shook his head more and let out a bellowing laugh. "The princess is jealous! Come now, the appearance of a lovely goddess like Song Qian and all the men - even her father is enthralled with her - she feels threatened. I'm guessing she feels most threatened since she is afraid she might lose you to Song Qian."

"That is absurd." I countered. "And for the record, Soojung and I are not together."

Yifan gave me a pointed look. "Really and what does courting fall under then? It is still considered together. Anyways, women are always jealous when they see their man fancy or eye another woman that is not them."

I snorted unceremoniously at his statement. "Oh, and you would know this how? You are no such expert in the mindset of women."

"You do not need to be an expert, it is common sense, you idiot." He smacked me on the back of the head for emphasis. "Honestly, it is like you have no common sense with courting or emotions dealing with relationships."

"Clearly." I knocked back my wine and refilled the now empty goblet with more wine from the jar next to me.

Yifan leaned closer to converse with me, trying to drown out the noise of the music being played and conversations of others.

"Look, I'm sure Soojung feels threatened in some way, and from the way you were acting at the meeting, you were all-eyes on Song Qian. Don't think you even batted and eyelash since you laid eyes on her. You have to give the princess credit, she is rather observant and it did not help your case when all you did was stare a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter