Chapter 3

The Dark Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Me, Kris and Dara were having lunch right now at the KFC near our college. I couldn’t stop laughing at how Kris and Dara imitate our dean.

 

It was great that my boyfriend and my best friend got along together. In fact, they always had a good relationship. When Dara heard I was dating Kris she was happy for me and approved of my choice. We loved hanging out together, laughing and fooling around … Kris calm personality, Dara’s exuberant one combined with my dark sense of humor kind of created the perfect mix. After all, opposites attracts.

 

They were the only persons i hanged out with.Well, I wasn’t much of a sociable person. There aren’t many persons that I got along and there was only a few I trusted. 

Same for Kris. Beside his best friend Tao, he didn’t have a lot of friends, despite his good looks, he just chose to be that way. 

 

In Dara’s case, she only had acquaintances, nothing much.

 

 ‘’ So Minah, where are you going to do you’re internship ? " asked Dara, munching her fries

 

Oooh right, the internship.

 

" Honestly I have no idea " I said, grabbing a chicken wing … " But I would like to do it at Tora Firm. "

 

The best of the best. Anyone who got to work there or, in my case, obtain an internship, would never be jobless. Only the best lawyers worked there, and they had quite a reputation for  being vicious, merciless and extremely talented. But everyone knew it was very difficult, almost impossible to get admitted. 

Their clients consisted of powerful people such as celebrities, politicians, business tycoons, since only they could afford their services. 

 

Suddenly, Kris and Dara choked on their food, while nervously glancing at each other.

 

" Mmm Minah babe, there are other better options you know " Kris suggested, his voice trembling a bit.

 

" Exactly !!! " Exclaimed Dara, beside him, nodding her head with too much energy.

 

This must be a joke. 

There isn’t anything better. I stared at them, my mouth agape .

 

" Do you hear yourself ? Better options ? " I exclaimed, my voice going a pitch higher.

 

" Well … hum … It’s … " shuttered Dara, nervously looking at Kris.

 

" It's too far " cut Kris fidgeting on his sit, as his face reddened. His leg was jumping up and down while he hung his head low. He had a habit to do this when he was nervous.

 

Dara, had her gaze glued to me, her eyes wide open. It was almost uncomfortable.

 

I remember reading somewhere that if someone avoids your gaze, or stare straight at you, they are either lying or hiding something. Guess something is fishy right here.

 

I shrugged " I don’t care, as long as it will allow me to get a good job after that « 

 

" But you can get a great job another way "  Proposed Dara with a forced smile, reaching for my hand. I kept it for myself, raising my nose and shaking my head.

 

" Nope I want to go there "

 

 

" But it's so selective ... I don't think you will be accepted " Said Kris, waving his hand at me, almost in a disdainful manner.

 

Now ... That hurt

 

Taking a deep breath to calm my self, i glared at the both of them

 

" Okay now listen " I exclaimed " I don’t know why you’re against the idea of me working there, but I will work there. I will do anything to get that internship so deal with it. « I leaned on my chair, watching their faces palling at what I said.

 

"  YOU CAN’T GO THERE " Kris exploded, slamming his hand on the table, his yell echoing in the restaurant. 

His face was scarlet, his chest heaving up and down while his clenched fists were still laying on the table.

 

Dara, who was beside him, jumped at his outburst, starring at him with a horrified expression.

 

An awkward silence followed. 

 

This was the first time he screamed at me. We already fought a few times but he never raised his voice at me.

 

NEVER

 

After my brief shock, I pressed my lips into a thin line, narrowing my eyes. 

I leaned to him, only a few inches from his face

 

" Listen to me well Kris Wu " I furiously whispered at him, loud enough for everybody to hear.  " You won’t stop me from getting what I want … Okay ? " . 

 

I stood up gathering my things, ignoring Dara’s calls.
I know I was acting childish but him screaming at me for no good reason … I was not and never will accept this. 

 

I don’t know how long I walked, aimlessly going from street to street, almost in a daze. I would trudge through the mass of people, just looking straight ahead, in hope to clear my mind.

At a moment,raising my head to look at the surroundings, I realized I was just in front of Tora Firm’s building.
It really was a work of art. It was the perfect image of classy . The whole building was made of glass, reflecting the sky and it’s clouds,almost becoming a real life painting . It was the shape of a prism, it’s sharp edge supporting a large tiger head drawing with the company’s name under it. 

 

I couldn’t help staring at it. 

I wanted to work here, I wanted to be a part of … this.

I started imagining myself, arriving in my luxurious car, gracefully getting out of it, wearing an elegant dress and classy heel, my hair tucked into a bun and a cup of coffee in my hand. People would look at me, dazzled as I walked past them, whispering about how me, Shin Minah was indeed the best lawyer in town. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter