Meeting the manager

The way you move

            Kai woke up at the same time as usual during weekdays which is 6am.  He looked at his phone and sighed.  ‘Should I go?’  This particular question has been bugging Kai since yesterday after Chen and Kai had their dinner.  Kai was shocked that the manager of the SM Entertainment will actually e-mail him.  ‘Did Sir Minho knows that I dance?  Or is it just a big coincidence?  I covered my face properly in the video though. ’ Kai grabbed his towel and went to the bathroom for a cold shower.  After Kai finished his shower, he went back to his room and saw Chen lying on the bed playing on the phone.

            “So you going to meet the manager?” Kai ran his fingers through his wet hair and shrugged.  “I don’t know, should I?” “I think you should at least hear him out.  Who knows you guys can compromise something out.”  “Hmm…”  While Kai was drying his hair, Chen went out.  Kai looked at his school bag and finally decided that he’s going to meet up Mr Lee.  Knowing that he doesn’t have to go out that early, Kai plopped back down to his bed.  ‘Is it too early to text Taemin? Urgh who cares.’

K- Good morning Taemin =)

            Knowing that the other party isn’t awake yet, Kai changed and went down for breakfast.  Around 7:45am, Kai reached Starbucks.  He scanned through the slightly crowded place and found Mr Lee sitting at a corner of the shop.  ‘Wow, I know Mr Lee is a manager but he looks fine.’ Kai mentally slap himself and stopped staring the older guy.  Kai felt a bit underdressed as Mr Lee is wearing a full suit.  Without looking at Mr Lee again, Kai went to buy himself a cup of hot chocolate.  Kai didn’t know how to approach Mr Lee as he looks busy speaking on the phone. 

            Nonetheless, Kai walked towards Mr Lee reluctantly.  “Erm, Mr Lee?”  Onew looked up in a slightly shocked expression and gesture Kai to sit down.  Kai sat down and Onew gave him an apologetic look as he was still on the phone.  “Yes, ah, yes, be there before the members reach.  Yes, before 12:30pm.  I’ll be picking up them at 1 later. Good. Ok, goodbye.”  After Onew put down his phone, he offered his hand.  “I’m sorry for the wait.  I’m Lee Jin Ki and I’ll assume that you’re Kim Jong In.”  Kai shook Onew’s hand and nodded.  Onew nodded “First of all, I’m very thankful that you actually came.”  “Ah, I wanted to at least know what Mr Lee is going to say.” 

            Onew chuckled.  “Well, first of all, I need to know you’re your choices and answers in these questions.”  After saying that, Onew turned his laptop to face Kai.  Kai looked at the laptop and saw a full list of question.  “Take your time filling up the questions, it’s just some random questions about you.” After Onew said that, Kai started reading the questions and answering it.

  1. Name?    Kim Jong In
  2. Age?    17
  3. Hobby?    Dance
  4. Birthday?   14/01/1994
  5. Occupation?     Student and part-time worker
  6. Where do you live?    Sunshine orphanage
  7. How long have you been dancing?   Since young
  8. What will you do after you graduate?    Haven’t really thought about it
  9. What do you think of performing on stage?    I have stage fright so I’m not comfortable with it.
  10. Please write down the day and time when you’re free.    Weekdays after 8pm and weekends after 10pm

             After answering all of the questions, Onew scanned through the answers and kept his laptop.  “So Jong In, I saw all the dance videos you had posted and I must say you have talent but it’s not good enough.” Onew said frankly then continued when Kai didn’t answer.  “But, if you have proper lessons then I’ll guarantee that you’ll improve.  It seems that you have stage fright but what if the spotlight isn’t on you but someone else?”  Kai looked at Onew confusingly.  “What do you mean when you said that the spotlight is not on me?”  Onew cleared his throat and continued “I’m thinking of recruiting you as either a dance instructor in training or a back-up dancer for the company.  If you’re not that comfortable dancing on stage then you can choose to teach the idols how to dance.  What do you think about this?”

             “I…erm...as Mr Lee pointed out, I don’t think I am suitable to teach as my dancing skills isn’t professional at all.  Plus, I could not afford to pay for any lessons.”  Kai said honestly.  “Well, it’s because that you’re unprofessional dance that attracts my attention.  Your dance moves isn’t taught by anyone but yourself, it’s the creativity that you have in your moves that the company needs.  And about the lessons, the company will pay for everything, which includes some pocket money.”  Kai was totally speechless as he never would have dream of anyone praising his dance and are willing to invest in him.

             ‘Would I be suitable for this? I mean I never even thought of dancing in my future.  As a hobby yes but a job?’ Kai was deep in thought after Onew’s offer.  If he don’t accept it now, they wouldn’t be a next time.  But is this what he wants?  Kai knew dancing is his passion but is it what he wants to do in the future?  “Mr Lee, is it okay if I have some time to think about this?  I don’t think I can give you an answer straight away.” Kai said apologetically.  “Of course!  I didn’t expect you to answer it immediately.  I haven’t even prepare the contract.”  Kai nodded and sipped on his now not so hot chocolate drink.  “Jong In, do you want to see what you would do if you do agree to the contract?” Kai thought for a while and nodded “If it’s not inconvenience for you.”  “Okay but you need to sign this first.”

              Kai took the paper, read it and sign it as it is just to ensure that he doesn’t say or leak out any information about the practice he is going to watch later as it’s still not out in the public.  “Okay with that done, how about you come to this place at 12:30pm later.  There will be a guy named Lay who’ll bring you in.”  Onew handed Kai a piece of paper with the address as he speaks.  Kai took the paper and kept it.  “Lay is slightly older than you but he’s kind so don’t worry.  I’ll reach the studio at around 1pm so I’ll meet you then.”  Kai nodded and thanked Onew.  “If you like the atmosphere, feel free to tell me and I’ll prepare the contract immediately.”  Again Kai thanked Onew and after asking questions that Kai was curious about, both of them parted way at around 10am.