Nine

That Cute Friend

So I don't how I did it, but I manage to write this haha. I guess inspiration can hit you when you least expect it :D 

 


 

 

Yesterday was hell. It was Taeyeon and her girlfriend’s anniversary.

 

We went for lunch together as usual and she told me excitedly it was their anniversary. I faked a happy face and congratulated her. Of course I would do that. What do you think I would do? Fly to her hometown and spit at her girlfriend’s face?

 

Maybe I would if I was a superhero.

 

Anyway, our lunch was cut short because suddenly her girlfriend called and told her she wants to video call. It’s a rare occasion since her girlfriend dislikes video calls (is she crazy or what? I would want to do video call 24 hours with Taeyeon if I could).  

 

Thankfully I was done eating so I was back at my desk before everybody else did. One thing I haven’t done in these last few weeks. Because usually Taeyeon and I would talk until our lunchtime’s over.

 

She also said that she’s going back to her hometown for the weekend.

 

That makes me grouchier on Friday. My mind keeps wandering to how I’m going to go through upcoming weekend without meeting Taeyeon.

 

I exhale really loudly. She’s going to spend the weekend with her girlfriend while here I am, thinking how my weekend would be so boring without her.

 

I’m pathetic. And sad. And desperate.

 

I’m about to bang my head on the table when my cellphone buzzes.

 

Soonkyu: Hiya, Miyoung! What do you do after work? Let’s hang out! TGIF~

 

I was supposed to go for a coffee with Taeyeon but she’s going straight home after work to rest up because she’s taking early morning train tomorrow, so yeah, why not hang out with Soonkyu?

 

Me: Sure.

Soonkyu: Yay! I’ll ask the others to join.

 

Oh? She must’ve not known about Taeyeon’s plan.

 

Me: Okay. Taeyeon can’t go though. She’s going back to her hometown.

Soonkyu: Oh? She is?

Me: She didn’t tell you?

Soonkyu: No. What’s the occasion? I’ve never seen her being homesick.

Me: It’s her anniversary.

Soonkyu: Oh.

 

She doesn’t say anything after that so I maybe that’s the end of our conversation. But just when I put down my cellphone, it buzzes again.

 

Soonkyu: Then let’s go just the two of us! We haven’t hang out in a quite long time.

Me: Amnesia much, Soonkyu-ah? We hung out last Saturday.

Soonkyu: I mean just the two of us! When’s the last time we did that?

 

That’s right. Whenever we hang out now, it will always be with the others. If I think about it, the only person who would always available to hang out with every weekend is Taeyeon. It’s always me and Taeyeon. Sometimes Jessica couldn’t come because she has plans with her sister or Soonkyu has family matters or Yuri has her classes. But not Taeyeon or me.

 

Damn. That makes me miss her right now.

 

Me: You’re right. It’s been too long. Let’s go then.

Soonkyu: Cool, okay. See you later!

 

*

 

“So, how’s it going with you and Taeyeon?”

 

I literally choke on my drink and cough madly.

She gives me a napkin and pats my back, “Wow, never thought you’d react like this.”

I breath normally after my coughing fit ends.

 

“You like her.”

 

Oh my gosh. Thank God I don’t have anything inside my mouth right now. I’m sure I would choke again.

 

I try my best to answer her, “What? No, I don’t. Maybe you like her.”

She looks at me incredulously, “Certainly not.”

“I’m not too then.”

 

We’re quiet for a while and I drink my coffee slowly. Soonkyu looks at me like she’s trying to figure me out or something before she diverts her attention out the window.

 

Suddenly she smiles, “Oh, speaking of the devil. Taeyeon!”   

My head turns so fast I feel like it snaps. But I see no one outside the window and I hear Soonkyu’s laugh.

“You’re soooo into her!”  

“I’m not!”

“Oh, come on, Miyoung-ah. Just be honest with me. You like her, don’t you?”

I exhale in defeat, “Even if I do-”

She suddenly squeals, “This is so great!! Yes, finally! Taeyeon would definitely broke up with that obnoxious girlfriend of hers.”

“Whoa, wait. Me liking her doesn’t mean anything, okay.”

“What do you mean it doesn’t mean anything? Of course it means something! She’ll realize that you like her, then she’ll like you back, and voila! Happy Taeyeon is back and my job as her best friend is done.”

Soonkyu has this smug look on her face as if she’s achieving something.

“Okay, first of all, she will never ever realize that I like her. She won’t ever know. Because I won’t let that happen.”

Her smug look is gone and she’s ready for a rebuttal, “But-”

“No! No but, Lee Soonkyu. We’ve talked about this before. I don’t want to be the reason for her break up. Period.”

“Bu-”

“No but!”

She frowns at me and I keep looking at her sternly, meaning I won’t change my mind about this.

 

She finally sighs exasperatedly, “Fine.”

“Thank you.”

 

“How about you then?”

 

I’m not expecting that question, “What about me?”

She rolls her eyes, “If a person likes someone, I’m 100% sure they would want to be liked back.”

I shake my head, because I’m sure if I said I want Kim Taeyeon to like me, Soonkyu will form a plan and sets out strategy to make it happen.

“My feelings will pass, Soonkyu-ah. I won’t do anything about it and you won’t either.”

“But-”

“Yah! No but, remember?” I point at her menacingly and she’s pouting now.

 

We go to another stare down, me with my glare and her with her pout. It doesn’t last that long until she surrender by pouting no more.

 

“I’m asking you to drop this matter entirely. I won’t do anything about my feelings and I need you to promise to never let Taeyeon knows about this, okay?”

 

She slumps her shoulder, “Fine. I promise.”

 

“Good. Thank you. Now, second of all.”

She looks at me, puzzled, “Second of all?”

“What do you mean by ‘Happy Taeyeon’? I don’t think she’s depressed or even slightly sad with her relationship.”

Her face lit up and she grins mischievously, “That’s because she’s with you.”

“What?”

“She’s been way happier since she met you.”

“R-really?” She is?

 

Now Soonkyu’s face turns into a teasing one, “Are you sure you won’t do anything about your feelings there?”

 

No… Yes. No? Oh my gosh! Keep your mind straight, Hwang!

 

“Yes, I’m sure.”

 

Still with a teasing smug look on her face, “Sure, sure.”

 

Damn.