Sixteen

That Cute Friend

 

I conquered her hand. We’re always holding hands now. Yep, I’m saying that with proud! Now the next thing I need to triumph over is her cheeks. Every time she smiles and those cheekbones rise, I feel like caressing the flesh below and kiss it. Looks so fluffy!

 

I flip the channel on TV to get inspiration when the door opens and Yuri walks inside.

 

“Hello, roommate.” She greets while taking a seat beside me on the couch.

“Hi. You don’t have classes this evening?” it’s unusual for Yuri to be home this time of the day. Normally, she would have loads of classes since today is Friday.

“It’s cancelled.” She sounds disappointed, but before I can ask her, she speaks again, ”You don’t have a date with Taeyeon tonight?” she asks teasingly.

“It’s not a date and no, she had a long day of meetings today so she’s a little bit tired.”

She grins, “How’s everything with you and her anyway? Still being ‘just friends’?”

I nod and smile, “Friends who hold each other hands though.”

She looks at me incredulously and starts clapping slowly in a mocking manner, “What an achievement, Fany-ah.”

“Yah.” I slap her arm.

“Seriously though, it’s been 2 months since she broke up with her girlfriend, right? What are you guys waiting for anymore?”

“She’s been cheated on twice. In a row! I’m grateful she doesn’t give up hope on relationship at this rate, Yuri-ah.”

She let out a sigh and doesn’t reply.

We watch the TV for some time before she stands up, “I bet you’re ually frustrated though.”

“YAH!”

She laughs out loud, “What? I admit Taeyeon’s attractive and if I were you, I would definitely want to at least kiss her.”

I throw her the sofa cushion but she dodges it while still laughing, “We’re adults, Tiffany Hwang! It’s definitely normal to have those kind of urges, you know.”

She starts to walk to her room and I follow her. She’s putting her bag away and I sit at her bed.

“Fine, I do have those ‘urges’. But what can I do? I can’t rush her. I don’t want to force her into a relationship when she’s not ready.”

Yuri looks at me sympathetically, “You’re the most patient woman I have ever met then.” She proceeds to take out her pajamas.

“But right now, I really want to kiss her cheek though. It’s okay for friends to kiss each other cheeks, right?”

Yuri bursts out laughing and I’m embarrassed.

“Yah! Kwon Yuri, stop laughing!”

She continues to laugh so I throw a pillow at her, which she evades again.

“Sorry, but you’re so whipped.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“We’re friends and we don’t kiss each other cheeks. Do you kiss Sunny’s cheeks?”

 

Shoot. She’s right. Friends don’t kiss each other cheeks often. Probably if it’s their birthdays or on a special occasion, but not on everyday basis. Holding hands are more common between friends.

 

“But I guess it’s okay because she has feelings for you too.” Yuri speaks again and sits on her vanity chair facing me.

“You think so?”

“Yep.”

That makes me feel more confident so I smile at her, “Okay. Thanks, Yuri-ah.”

She grins, “I’m rooting for the two of you! So hurry up and be together, will ya?”

I don’t know what to say back to her and I already got some sort of enlightment on my ‘cheek kissing’ dilemma, so I divert the topic.

 

“How about you, Yuri-ah? I haven’t seen you dating anyone lately.”

She turns around facing her mirror to start erasing her make up and shrugs.

What? That’s uncommon. She’s never secretive about her love life before.

“Are you in a relationship right now?”

“No.”

“Is there anybody that you like then?”

She doesn’t reply and ignores me.

“Kwon Yuri, answer me.”

She sigh while still doing her thing, “I think I like a straight girl.”

“Oh.” That’s not a good news. No wonder she’s reluctant to talk about it. “How come you know for sure she’s straight?”

She stops her movement and looks at me through the mirror before she sighs again, “She cancelled today’s class because she needs to buy a present for someone. I thought it’s for her family member or something, but she said it’s for her ‘special friend’. Then she asked where’s a good store to buy a sports bag because she said her ‘special friend’ likes to play football and she wants to buy him a new sport bag.”

Yuri resumes erasing her make up after her explanation, “She even asks me to accompany her. Not in a million years I would help her choosing a present for her boyfriend.”

Well that . I wouldn’t want to accompany Taeyeon to buy a present for someone else that she likes either. Wait, is Yuri friends with the girl she likes? I know she can be quite close with her clients, but she never really befriends them.

“Why did she ask you to accompany her? Are you friends with this particular client of yours?”

She halts her movement for a second and ignores me again. Now that’s suspicious.

“Yuri, do I know her?”

She finishes up and stands up while turning to face me, “It’s no one. I’m going to take a shower now. Go get your Taeyeon, okay?”

She diverts the topic and hurriedly goes to the bathroom.

 

I can only shake my head and wonder who the hell that Yuri likes?   

 

*

 

The next day, Yuri is already gone when I wake up. She told me and the others that she can’t join us today because she has lots of classes. The others meaning Taeyeon, Sunny, and Jessica. We’re going to hang out and watch a movie as usual.

 

I just started my car when I realize I have run out of gas. Oh well, I’m going to take the subway then.

 

I arrive early at our rendezvous and not long after that, Taeyeon comes. She smiles the moment our eyes meet. She reaches out for my hand once she’s near which I gladly gives.

“Hey. The others not here yet?”

“Nope. Sunny is picking Jessica up. She said they’re parking though.”

“Oh, okay.” She starts to sway our joint hand a little bit, making me smile wider.

“What are we going to watch later after lunch?”

She grins, “Heard that horror movie is good.” She knows I don’t favor horror movies. Although.................... I can cling to her with the pretense of being scared. Hohohohoho.

“Sure, why not.” I try to sound calm.

She looks a little bit surprised, “Really? I thought you hate scary movies.”

“I do. But I’m going to watch it with you. So it’ll be fine.”

She chuckles, “I don’t know how watching it with me will make the movie less scarier.”

I can’t say out loud ‘by hugging your arm and pushing my face on your shoulder’, so I resolve on not replying to that, “Let’s wait for them in the restaurant. I’m hungry, Taeyeon-ah.”

She still smiles and starts to walk, “Okay.”

 

We’re in the middle of choosing on what to eat when Sunny and Jessica comes.

“Hi, sorry we’re late!” Sunny said as soon she sits down.

“No, it’s fine. We haven’t ordered yet.”

We order our meals and talk about random things.

“Hey, are we still going to watch a movie after this?” Jessica asks.

“Sure, I’m up for anything.” Sunny answers.

“Me too.” Taeyeon and I said almost simultaneously. We look at each other and smile shyly. I hear Sunny’s snicker but Jessica seems a little bit troubled.

Taeyeon is looking at Jessica too when she doesn’t say anything, “Why? You don’t want to watch a movie, Sica-ah?”

“I do. But I need to buy something for my friend. I tried looking for it yesterday, but I think I need other people’s opinion. I’m not really good with choosing present for someone.”

“Oh? Who’s it for? And what’s the occasion? Birthdays?” Sunny asks.

“Do you remember that guy who helped me get my current job? He got assign overseas. So I want to give him something as a farewell gift and also as a token of gratitude.”

“Ah, your ‘special friend’.” Sunny says knowingly.

Special friend?

Taeyeon nods along seemingly knowing whom she’s talking about, “I still don’t get it why you call him your ‘special friend’ though.”

“Because it’s rude to refer to him as ‘forever-indebted-friend’. If it’s not because of him, I won’t be having my job now.”

Sunny snickers, “And you had a crush on him before you knew that he’s divorced with a daughter.”

Jessica dismisses it cooly, “I’m too early for children.”

“So you want to buy him a present?”

“Yes. I want to buy him a sport bag.”

 

HOLD UP! Special friend and a sport bag?!

 

She’s- she’s- Jessica is the straight girl that Yuri likes!!

But she never told us she’s taking Yoga class. More over, with Yuri as her instructor!

 

Okay, I need to strengthen this revelation by proofing she indeed taking Yoga classes with Yuri.

 

“Let’s buy that present before the movie then.” I said and she gives me a small smile.

“Cool, thanks.”

“By the way, you look...um...” I scan Jessica’s top body but I don’t see any drastic changes, she’s still looked the same as the last time we meet. Everybody is now looking at me waiting for what I want to say. Think, Hwang Miyoung! Think!

“More fresh?”

And now the three of them looking at me weirdly.

“I... I mean did you work out? You look good.”

“Oh, thanks. I started Yoga with Yuri a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t she tell you?”

 

IT IS HER! OMG! YURI LIKES HER!

 

“O-oh. No, she didn’t.”

“You’re doing Yoga with Yuri? You didn’t tell us either.” Sunny says.

“You didn’t ask. Besides, it’s not like I’m doing it in secret.”

“You don’t like sports though. Why suddenly Yoga?” Taeyeon asks curiously.

Jessica shrugs, “Just wanting to try something new. Besides, Yoga is not really tiring.”

 

The conversation goes about Yoga and I’m still processing the fact that Yuri likes Jessica. I’m so going to interrogate her later on.

 


 

A little bit of Yulsic, anyone? xD