Twenty

That Cute Friend

I'm sorry it took me this long to update, but I got distracted lately by ideas for new story and made me stuck on how to end this one hahaha.

Hopefully you have fun reading this as much as I had fun writing this :)

Thank you, everybody!

 


 

 

I wake up the next morning with the biggest smile on my face. Finally. We’re official. Taeyeon and I are official. I feel like shouting it to the world.

 

I let out a sigh of contentment and replaying last night’s events. Of course, ultimate moment is when we kissed.

 

Her lips.

I can feel my heart is beating a little bit faster even by remembering how her lips felt on mine.

I hug my bolster and hide my huge smile.

Her palms on my cheeks.

I feel hair on my arms stand and I hug my bolster tightly.

Her supple lips and smooth palms.........

 

Oh, God, I need to stop daydreaming!

 

I let out a squeal before finally sitting up and grab my cellphone. There’s a message from Taeyeon that keeping my smile intact.

 

Taeyeon: Good morning :) sleep well?

Me: Morning :) very well. You?   

Taeyeon: Yep. I dreamt of you ;) What are you doing today?

 

KYAAAAA! Omg I know it’s super cheesy but damn, I like it.   

 

Me: Haha that’s so cheesy, Taeyeon-ah. No plans yet. You?

Taeyeon: It’s the truth! Eventhough I don’t remember what it’s about, but I remember clearly you’re in it hehehe I need to pack today :( leaving for Japan tomorrow morning, remember?

 

Oh. That’s right, she’s going to Japan tomorrow.

 

Me: :( how long will you be in Japan?

Taeyeon: A week. Gonna miss you. Can I take you for a lunch date today?

A smile very wide broke across my face and I let out a squeal before I send her a reply.

 

Me: I’m going to miss you too. Of course :)

Taeyeon: Yay! I’ll pick you up at 1 then. See you soon, Fany-ah :)

Me: I’ll be ready. See you soon, babe.

 

I sent it! I called her ‘babe’! Was it too much? Too soon? But I really want to call her with a name no other call her though. I thought about it last night and I heard Soonkyu called her ‘Taenggo’ or ‘Taeyeonie’. I like Taeyeonie but Jessica sometimes called her that too. So I don’t want to use it. I want something that’s exclusively mine. Nobody calls her ‘Babe’ or ‘Baby’, right?

 

I couldn’t help to smile again. I can call her whatever I want now. She’s mine. Kim Taeyeon is mine. I can call her mine now.

 

*  

 

At 12.45, I’m already sitting neatly on the couch. Yuri has classes since morning since she’s nowhere to be seen.

 

I check my cellphone in case Taeyeon tried to contact me. But there’s nothing. I end up scrolling my social media.

 

I’m too immersed on my browsing that I yelp when I heard the doorbell. I stuff my cellphone on my purse and almost run to the front door. I wear my shoes, inhale deeply, and fix my hair a little bit before I open the door.

 

It reveals Kim Taeyeon standing cutely as I open my front door.

 

She smiles shyly and I guess I do too.

 

“Hey~”

“Hi”

 

We just stand there looking at each other like fools and she finally laughs, “Why are we being like this?”

I laugh too and take a step outside. I try to overcome my shyness and brave myself to lean in and kiss her cheek.

I turn around as fast as I could in attempt to hide my embarrassment while locking my front door, “Where are we going to eat?”

But suddenly, I feel her hand on my arm and she turns me around to face her.

It all happens so fast but I had my back on my door and her lips kissing me in the next second.

She pulls away after successfully turning me into a huge mess inside, but still on my breathing space.

She leans in again and I close my eyes as a reflect but I feel her breath on my ear instead and she whispers, “That’s how you greet your girlfriend, Fany-ah.”

 

I shiver and wrap my arms around her torso. Even though my heart beats wildly, I manage to whisper back, “I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

She trails kisses from my ear to my cheek and finally my lips again. Both of us got lost in the kiss and it’s amaz-

 

“Omo!”

 

We got startled and she instantly detaches herself from me.

 

Yuri is standing not far from us, mouth agape and eyes widen. Gosh, that is so embarrassing. She just caught us making out in an alley.

 

Yuri closes her eyes tightly while chanting to herself, “I did not see that, I did not see my friends making out. I did not. I did not.” She keeps repeating that while Taeyeon and I mumble our apologize, still feeling hell lots of embarrassment. 

 

She finally opens her eyes and takes steps closer to us, “So you guys are official now?”

 

I can feel my red face isn’t returning to normal anytime soon. I take a peek at Taeyeon and she’s also blushing.

 

“Yeah.”  

“Just last night.”

 

Yuri suddenly squeals and hugs both of us, “FINALLY! Congrats you two!”

 

After the commotion from Yuri, we’re back in a shy atmosphere when it’s just the two of us inside the lift.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, you haven’t answered my question earlier.”

“Huh?” she looks at me with a confused look.

“Where are we going to eat?”  

“Oh!” she’s blushing again, “Sorry. I didn’t know what came over me before, but you just look so gorgeous I can’t help it........” she’s scratching the back of her neck while looking away.

 

She’s so damn cute! And I never thought she has that aggressive side also.

I want to see all sides of Kim Taeyeon.

 

*

 

Lunch went by nicely as both of us slowly overcome our shyness due to our new status. She’s taking me back to my apartment after lunch because she still needs to pack and rest up since her flight will be on early morning tomorrow.

 

Therefore we’re inside her car on our way back and I really like the mood. The radio is turn on in low volume and Taeyeon is humming along the song. She looks definitely cool behind the wheel. Another side of Kim Taeyeon that I love.

 

“Taeyeon-ah”

“Hmm?”

“You look cool when you’re driving.”

She chuckles and the expression on her face screams out CUTE.

 

How could someone be cool and cute at the same time?

 

She steals a glance at me and smiles, “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome, babe.”

 

She didn’t say anything about my term of endearment for her at lunch and I didn’t bring it up again until now. But she suddenly goes rigid and her smile falters.

 

“Sorry, you don’t like it? Too cheesy?”

“No, no. It’s just....” she sighs, “My ex used to call me that.” She says in a low voice.

“Oh.” I frown. The word ‘babe’ is not appealing to me anymore. “I have to find other names then.” I mumble.

 

“What’s that?” she asks and I didn’t realize that she heard my mumble. 

I answer truthfully, “I’d like to have a name that’s exclusively mine.”

She snickers, “Pet names, huh?”

I blush, realizing that it’s probably very childish of me.

 

“My brother used to call me Taetae.”

“Huh?”

“He had difficulties saying my name back then. So she called me Taetae. But I think it’s too cute and I told him to stop calling me that when I enter junior high.”

Well ‘Taetae’ is definitely cute!

I laugh, “It’s indeed very cute.”

“I don’t like him or any other people call me that, but if it’s you.... I guess it’s okay.” She says and hint of pink are evidence on her cheeks.

I want to squeal so badly but I hold it in and an eyesmile broke out instead.

“Taetae. I’d love that.”

      

 She steals a glance at me again and has this sheepish grin on her face.

 

*

 

“You sure you don’t want to come inside?” I ask her again when we arrive in front of my apartment building.

“I really want to, but I haven’t finished packing and I’m..... I’m still embarrassed to face Yuri.” She looks away as she said that and I can’t help to feel shy again, remembering what we did before we go to lunch.

“Oh, right.”

I slowly unbuckle my seatbelt, “Have a safe trip then.... Taetae.”

She looks at me with a broad smile, “Thank you.”

She leans in and I meet her halfway.

It’s a gentle kiss at first but it turns more passionate by the seconds. She breaks the kiss but I keep on kissing her.

 

“F-Fany..”

I tighten my arms around her neck, “5 days. We won’t see each other for 5 days, Taetae.”

 

She groans and we end up making out on the backseat of her car that afternoon.

 

*

 

As soon as I enter my apartment, Yuri bombards me with questions.

 

“Tiffany Hwang, tell me what happened last night!!!” she shouts from the living room’s couch.

I smile broadly, “Taeyeon and I are finally official.”

“I know that! I mean details, please!”

 

I put my purse on the table and plop down on the couch. I start to tell her about last night’s event to Yuri and we squeal like schoolgirls together.

 

“I’m happy for you, Fany-ah.” Yuri says while smiling at me.

“Aaawh, thank you, Yul.”

 

My cellphone starts ringing and I fish it out from my purse, thinking that it’s Taeyeon telling me that she arrives at her place.

But turns out it’s Soonkyu calling me.

“Hello?”

YAH, HWANG MIYOUNG!

I pull away my cellphone from my ear, “What the hell?!”

You got official with Taeyeon and I knew about it from Jessica?! Really?!!!!

 

Ooops. I haven’t told Soonkyu about my relationship with Taeyeon.

 

“It happened last night, Soonkyu! Sorry I haven’t told you, but I was about to tell you now.” I give an excuse and glare at Yuri because she must be the one who told Jessica. Who else?

Yuri sticks her tongue out at me and laughs.

“Fine, but both of you have to treat US for a meal next week!”

“What?! That’s ridiculous.”

“Hey! If it wasn’t for me, you won’t even meet Taeyeon!”

Well she’s kinda right. So I sigh dejectedly, “Oh, alright.”

“Yes! Okay now, spill!”

“Why you’re asking me? Why not ask Taeyeon to tell you?”

“Because Jessica is doing it as we speak. Come on, Miyoungie. I know you’re still bursting with happiness right now. Share it!”

 

That is true. So I tell Soonkyu the exact thing I told Yuri moments ago.

 

I hung up the cellphone after promising Soonkyu that Taeyeon and I would treat the others for a meal next Saturday. Yuri is watching TV while I’m on the phone and she grins at me once I put my celllphone on the table.

 

“Free food next Saturday! Yay!”

I made a face at her, “Your fault. You told Jessica?”

“I need to tell someone about my traumatic event of witnessing-two-of-my-good-friends-eating-each-other-faces-in-broad-daylight-not-to-mention-in-a-very-public-space, okay?”

“Yah!”

She laughs, “I can see she’s a very nice kisser. But is she good in bed?” she asks while wiggling her eyebrows and I could feel my face burning.

“YAH!”

She laughs harder, “Oh come on! You’ve been frustrated for months! I’m definitely not surprised if you did it with her on the day you got official.”

She’s still laughing while I try to cool myself. Geez, why does Yuri always have to bring up talk like this?

“We haven’t done it.” I say in a small voice. That got her stop laughing instantly.

Her eyebrows rises high, “You haven’t?”

“We only got official last night, yul! And I’m not that frustrated. I still have self control, you know.”

“Well if you say so. But, promise me one thing, Fany-ah.”

“What?”

“Please don’t do it here, in this living room? Where I can accidently walk in on you guys.”

I widen my eyes, “Of course we won’t!”

She grins cheekily, “Oh, and since you’re naturally loud, don’t do it on your bedroom when I’m around. I don’t want to hear ‘voices’.”

“KWON YURI!”   

 

*

 

Five excruciating days had already passed. It’s finally Saturday and Taeyeon supposed to come back on Friday night. But it got postponed to Saturday morning. I told her to cancel today’s plan to eat out with the others, because I didn’t want her to be too tired, but she insisted and promised she’ll make it.

 

I drive by myself to the meeting point because Yuri have a morning classes first and will join us after she finishes.

I thought I was the first one there, but I saw Jessica sitting calmly by herself on a table for 5.

“Hey, you’re early.” I said as I take a seat across from her.

“Yeah. I needed to drop my sister first somewhere.” 

“Oh, okay.”

 

It’s an awkward silence. This is the first time I’m only with Jessica. I’m not kidding. We hung out a lot, yes. I consider her a good friend, yes. But we never hung out just the two of us before.

 

"Why are you staring at me like that?"

She suddenly speaks and I flinch a little bit, "N-nothing." Geez, I was staring at her?

"You're weird."

I can only give her an awkward smile.

"At least you're nice though and you make my friend happy. Don't ever hurt our Taeyeonie. You hear me?"

She still has a crush on my girlfriend, huh? But then again, she might just care for Taetae as a best friend would. So I muster a smile, "I won't."

"Good."

 

We fall into an awkward silence again.

"So.... your friend, Yuri. Does she..." a cough.

Now this is out of the blue. Why she suddenly mentioning Yuri? "Does she what?"

".......date girls?" Awkward gesture and.... slightly pink cheeks?

 

Huh? That’s strange. Well maybe Yuri never really stated she’s gay in front of everybody, but doesn’t her actions shows? Especially towards her.

But, wait................. why does she even ask this question to me? Why would she want to know about Yuri’s preference? Unless............  

 

"You like her?"

 

A shrugged and more visible pink cheeks.

 

OMG! She must be!

I widen my eyes and she diverts her gaze away. She sips her drink while mumbling, “What’s there not to like?”

 

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT NEWS!

 

Now I know how Sunny must feel when she tried setting me up with Taeyeon. 

Although..... Sunny told me the only girl Jessica liked was Taeyeon and that she’s as straight as a ruler, "But you never dated a girl, have you?"

She shoots me a look and retorts, "Doesn't mean I can't like one, can I?"

 

OMG! Jackpot! She just confessed indirectly that she likes Yuri!

 

I smile widely, "You can. Especially Yuri. You can like her all you want."

She widen her eyes with expectation, "Does that mean she's....?"

"She swings your way."

A twitch of her lips that turns into a small smile.

“She swings my way?” she asks while holding her glass close to again, probably trying to hide a growing smile.

“Definitely yours. Exclusively yours.” She must’ve understood what I’m trying to say here.

She seems elated and sips her drink again before saying, "You're weird." With a smile. A real smile this time.

I give her my infamous smile, "But at least I'm nice, right?"

"Right."    

 

*

 

It was another awkward silent between me and Jessica, but not long after, Sunny came. She pounced at me while saying ‘Finally! Finally!’.

Yuri came after that and I gave her a smug look.

And finally, Taeyeon came. We exchange stupid shy grins and the others are teasing us like high school kids.

It’s a given that Taeyeon sat beside me and I couldn’t help to drop a kiss on her cheek. That triggered another round of teasing, but I didn’t care! I’d give Taetae the ‘proper’ way of greeting a girlfriend if I don’t have great self-control.  

 

We’re finishing up our dessert when Sunny asks what should we do after this.

 

“Wanna go watch a movie?” Jessica asks.

“I can’t. I have a class this evening.” Yuri said and if I don’t know Jessica’s true feelings, I say Jessica seems unfazed by her reply. But I know better and I bet she’s kind of disappointed right now.

“There’s nothing good showing anyway, Sica. What are you two up to?” Sunny asks Taeyeon and I.

I don’t have any plan yet, but-

“I need to unpack and I’m wondering if you want to....... help?” Taeyeon asks and turns to me complete with pink cheeks, hopeful eyes, and everything.

I heard snickers and whistle from the other three.

“Really, Taeyeon? You need help to unpack? Pffft.” Yuri teases.

“Just say you want to spend time alone, lovebirds.” Sunny adds and Jessica just stares at us with amused smile on her lips.

 

Gosh, I must be blushing like crazy right now but I try to keep cool, “Yeah, sure.”

 

*