One

That Cute Friend

 

Damn.

I’m disappointed. I don’t even know her name yet, but I’m already disappointed knowing she belongs to someone else.

I heave a sigh before I reply to Soonkyu.

 

Me: Oh.

 

Yes, that’s the only appropriate thing I manage to say at the moment.

I’m about to put my cell on my bedside table when it buzzes again.

 

Soonkyu: There’s another but though.

Me: There’s a but after a but?

Soonkyu: Yes.

Me: It’s a good but or a bad but?

Soonkyu: Depends.

Me: On what?

Soonkyu: On how y your is.

Me: Oh my gosh, LEE SOONKYU!!

Soonkyu: HAHAHA! So much fun teasing you.

Me: Shut up.

Soonkyu: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Me: Stop it.

Soonkyu: HAHA

Me: Yah!

Soonkyu: Hahahahaha

Me: This chat ends here.

Soonkyu: Nooo! Don’t go! I’ll tell you the second but.

Me: Finally! Hurry then. So what’s the but this time?

Soonkyu: What’s the hurry? Tell you what, why don’t we meet up tomorrow? I haven’t seen you in ages!

Me: We had dinner together last week.

Soonkyu: Fine, I rephrase. I haven’t seen you in a week!

Me: That’s more like it.

Soonkyu: So lunch tomorrow? I’ll tell you all about her~

 

I thought for a moment.

 

Me: Okay.

Soonkyu: Yeaaay! I’ll see you tomorrow, Miyoung-ah.    

 

*

 

So here I am, inside the restaurant that my good friend since college, Lee Soonkyu, dined with her...... friend. This is actually really embarrassing. I never go to lunch with a friend to ask about their friend. But wait, what am I talking about? I’m just trying out a new restaurant with my friend. Yes, that’s it. I’m not here to ask her about a girl that I found cute. Nope. I’m here to try out the new restaurant everybody’s been talking about.

I open the menu and scan it. The foods look great. But I will wait for Soonkyu before I order. So I look around the place. It’s really nice.

My eyes stop at one particular spot that seems familiar. Where did I see it before?

Oh, that’s right! That’s where Soonkyu and her friend took the picture. I take my cellphone and open Soonkyu’s profile picture. Indeed, it’s the same spot. My eyes can’t stop looking at the picture though. The girl besides Soonkyu is seriously very cute. There’s something about her. There’s definitely something about her that makes my heart stir a tiny bit when I see her picture.

 

Ugh what am I talking about? I don’t even know her, but yet she can make my heart stirred?!

 

I close Soonkyu’s profile picture and put the cellphone on the table.

I’m crazy, aren’t I?

 

“Hi there.”

I almost jump from my seat, “Yah! Why you have to scare me like that?”

Soonkyu comes from behind me and sits on the chair in front of me while laughing.

“I didn’t mean to. You’re the one who’s spacing out.”

She settles down and takes the menu, “Have you ordered?”

“Not yet. Waiting for you actually. What’s good in here?”

“Well, I ordered ravioli and,” she fakes a cough, “my friend ordered gnocchi.” She looks at me with a sly grin.

I roll my eyes, “I’ll have what you had then.”

We order our food and when the waiter done taking our order, she starts to look at me with a sly grin again.

 

“So, what do you want to know about my friend?”

I instantly blush and look away while trying to keep calm.

“Wow, I’ve never seen you this shy before.”

I divert my gaze to anywhere else beside hers while she chuckles.

“You think she’s cute, huh?” she asks.

“Yes. Is that so wrong?” I mumbled.   

“Not at all! It’s just that you never ask about any of my friends before.”

 

None of your other friends is as cute as her.

 

Soonkyu laughs again seeing no reaction from me.

“It’s a good thing you’re attracted to her though.”

I’m about to open my mouth to ask her why, but she already speaks again.

“Her name’s Kim Taeyeon. She’s my bestfriend from high school. She just moved here, that’s why I rarely have a picture with her. She’s actually,” she lowers her voice for this part, “new at being gay. Her girlfriend now is her first.”

  

Right. That cute girl by the name Kim Taeyeon that I’m attracted to has a girlfriend already.

 

I let out a sigh, “Soonkyu-ah, why are you telling me stuff about her when it’s clear that she’s not available?”

“Because there’s still the second but, remember?”

What possibly be a good but after knowing the fact that she has a girlfriend already? Oh well, I have nothing to lose anyway.

“So what’s the but?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


“She needs a better girlfriend. And that’s what you could be.”