Who Even Plays Scrabble Anymore?

Puppet Master

In Utros, a train of 3 taxis were driving along the road.  The taxis continued to beat the traffic, their drivers slickly transitioning lane to lane in order to get their passengers to their destination quickly and safely.  The drivers were being paid extra to see the entourage to their destination with haste.

 

The taxis pulled over to the side, slowed down, and stopped in front of a building.  It was humongous, towering over the smaller shops littered about around it.  The building itself seemed to span a couple blocks.

 

Out of the first taxi popped an ecstatic Baekhyun.  “Hey guys, we’re here!  This grand pavilion was hand-picked by yours truly, Byun Baekhyun, to become the future for Mirage,” he boasted, an air of arrogance surrounding him.

 

The next person to emerge was Tao, from the second taxi in the train.  When his eyes landed on the building, they grew wide and he started bouncing up and down.  “Oh. My. Gosh.  Hui Qi, this place is AMAZING!  Is it really ours?!” Tao squealed, his excitement evident as he practically hopped out of the way so the others could get out.

 

The two passenger doors of the last taxi flew open and out came Joonmyeon, stumbling out onto the sidewalk while staring at the massive building.  His mouth was flapping like a fish’s, but no words came out.  Yixing exited from the other door and moved around the taxi to join Joonmyeon on the sidewalk, clapping his hand onto Joonmyeon’s shoulder to shake him out of his reverie.  While they were getting out, Sehun and Hui Qi had emerged from the second taxi as Chanyeol practically leaped out of the first one.

 

Kris was the last one out, a scowl etched onto the features of his face.  “Why the was I stuck with the crazy kids…” he muttered, cursing his fate.  Instead of riding in between Yixing and Joonmyeon, as he planned to do, he was stuck in between the two doofuses who constantly bugged him about their wishes (they still believed he was a genie).

 

After retrieving their luggage from the trunk and paying the three taxi drivers, who promptly sped off, the crew followed Hui Qi and Baekhyun over to the doors of their new guild.  The strange thing about their new building was that the roads flanked the left and right side of the guild, forcing the entrance to be along the wide pedestrian walkway.  Hui Qi liked the entrance’s position simply because the pedestrian walkway was frequented by Utros’ denizens.

 

Hui Qi led the crew on a tour of their new home, her simple descriptions supplemented by Baekhyun’s excessive commentary.  On the first floor, she showed them into the kitchen and the soon-to-be gaming room.  Although there was only one bathroom, everyone appreciated how this one smelled nicer.  The main area was only bare because the furniture hadn’t come in yet.  Near the kitchen, there was a marble bar, left over from the previous owners’ remodeling efforts.  The group reached the stairs and Hui Qi led them down.  The basement was split into two parts, a glass wall separating the pool area from the bare bookshelves.  Seeing as there wasn’t anything else of importance down there, the tour continued upwards into the residential areas past the gym on the second floor.

 

“And here we are.  The next two floors are yours to roam.  You guys can explore the rooms and claim one as your own.  Just make sure your stuff is in your room to indicate that you’ve claimed it.  Each room already has its own bed and desk because this place used to be a hotel.  If you ever need me, which shouldn’t be ever, I’ll be living here, on the top floor,” she narrated, dropping her bag on the floor of her new room and sitting down on her bed.  She looked at her guildmates and grinned.  “However, don’t worry; we’re not moving anytime soon.  Baekhyun’s covering us while we get situated in the big city and start earning more money.”

 

After reminding them to converge for lunch in two hours, she promptly kicked them out of her room so she could finally relax.

 

During lunch, Hui Qi announced, “Alright crew.  Starting from about now and lasting a week, packages will be coming in with all of our new furniture, supplies, that sort of stuff.  About an hour after we’re done eating, our first packages should arrive.”  With a nod from each member, lunch carried on smoothly.

 

Just as Hui Qi had mentioned, the first packages did start arriving.  The first thing to come in was furniture.  Some of the simple furniture such as tables and drawers came in unassembled.  Charged with the task of physical labor was none other than Kris and Chanyeol.  The sofas and couches were carried in one by one, Hui Qi carefully orchestrating the arrangement of everything.

 

Surprisingly enough, the next chunk of packages to come in consisted of electronics.  Tao and Sehun took up the task of bringing in the electronics and setting them up in the games room.  After bringing in all the packages, the two seldom left the room, leading others to believe that they finished setting up and were having too much fun taking advantage of being out of everyone’s sight to relax and play games.  

 

When Hui Qi notified the guild members that all of packages for today were received, Baekhyun dragged Joonmyeon and Yixing out to go shopping.  Although he insisted it was for the groceries, everyone else knew otherwise.  While Kris was taking a break from assembling yet another drawer, he tried to account for each of the members.  

 

Strange, I haven’t seen Hui Qi around for a while. 

 

 


 

A man walked into a room, dressed in a suffocating tie and dress shirt.  He loosened the tie before sliding it off his head with one slick movement.  He stripped the rest of his clothes off, opting to wear sweats instead.  When he finished, he breathed deeply and enjoyed the familiarity of the air.

 

Smiling a bit to himself, he walked over to his high-tech computer and turned it on, waiting for it to load before logging in.  While waiting, he left his room and almost immediately returned with some junk-food and bottles of soda.  He settled down in his chair and logged into a popular gaming portal.  All gamers looking for challenges used this portal as a way to meet other strong competitors and build friendships, rivalries, and/or teams.  The portal offered different genres of games in order to increase its appeal to all gamers.

 

Deciding to unwind with some action games, the man navigated through the portal and found interesting individual games.  For hours on end, he played round after round, game after game, eating and drinking to quell the calls of his stomach.  After one excruciating victory, the man stood up, making a beeline to the bathroom.

 

He relieved himself and came back to his desk, only to find a new message had popped up.  Checking out the username, his eyes sparkled a bit as he quickly opened a chat room for the two of them to converse.

 

He typed, “Mastermind, haven’t seen you around in a while.”  Leaning back in the chair, he waited for a response from the other party.

 

“Care for a game of Scrabble?” inquired ‘Mastermind’, sending the man an invite.  Smirking, he moved his mouse to the ‘Accept’ button and their game began.  His mind was whirring as the two of them played their Scrabble game.  ‘Mastermind’ was one of the few in the gaming world who he truly acknowledged as a rival.  Whenever they played against each other, it always brought a smile upon his face for being pushed to the limit of his mind every single time, his rival’s analyzation skills never faltering either.  Their chat was silent, as they shared their thoughts through the strategies of the game.

 

When the game ended, a “YOU LOSE!” popped up on the screen.  Reviving their dead chat, he typed, “You haven’t lost your touch.”  

 

The reply was, “True, but it seems you’ve dulled a bit.”  Sighing, he realized how well ‘Mastermind’ knew him.  It was only through the game, but it was enough for his rival.

 

“Yeah, the suits are killing me here,” he responded truthfully.  His escapade to the gaming portal was turning out to be much more enjoyable with this little talk.  It didn’t matter that ‘Mastermind’ was a complete stranger to him.  Pouring small tidbits of his concerns over to his rival was relaxing, even more so because that person didn’t know who he was.

 

‘Mastermind’ immediately replied with, “You ever been a part of a guild?”

 

Chuckling, the man answered, “Nah.  But I’d love to be in one.”  Big guilds such as Lost Souls were respected and often raked in lots of money.

 

His eyebrows quirked upwards when he saw, “I’ve started a guild, Mirage.  Join us?”  His face broke into a grin.


“You bet your I will.”

 


A/N:  GUESS WHAT WE HAVE A NEW MEMBER OF MIRAGE (hopefully)  Anyone care to guess who it is???  Comment with your guesses!  We'd love to hear what you think!  Seeya next week guys!

Sorry for the late update guys... :/ that's completely my fault.  Hope you enjoy the chapter though.