Don’t Break the Bowls; They’re the Only Ones We Have.

Puppet Master

Kris and Joonmyeon's faces blanched at the news.  Kris suddenly felt queasier than he had before which he didn't even think was possible.

 

Yixing appeared a little worried.  "Should I have made a serving for her as well?"

 

"Nah, she said she got dinner on her way here.  Don't worry Yixing."  Hui Qi responded as she skimmed through the text.

 

“Mkay,” Yixing mumbled with his mouth full of tofu.  The room was then filled with sounds of food being munched heartily.  Hui Qi and Sehun were preoccupied with stuffing their faces while Yixing ate slowly, as if contemplating something.  Kris was still prodding at his food, the only difference was that this time, Joonmyeon echoed his actions.  

 

Without looking up, Hui Qi swallowed and broke the silence.  “Oi, stop imitating each other.  I’m feeling the PDA all the way from here.”  Shocked, both Joonmyeon and Kris looked up at each other, noticing that both their bowls had food pushed around to either side, messing up Yixing’s careful placement.  The two then made eye contact, before the connection was immediately broken by Kris as he turned his head away, trying to hide his blush.  Joonmyeon then tilted his head, trying to get a better view of Kris, wondering what was wrong with his best (and only) friend.  Kris continued to shy away until he heard the quiet snaps of a shutter going off.  Shaken out of his embarrassment, Kris glanced up, only to see Hui Qi’s camera pointed at the scene unfolding in front of her.  

 

Glaring at Hui Qi, Kris gritted through his teeth, “Delete. Those. Pictures. Now,” carefully enunciating every word.  Ignoring the murderous aura that had Joonmyeon quivering, Hui Qi tapped away on her phone, never missing a beat as she replied, “No can do, lover boy.  This picture has officially been,” she circled her finger, landing it on her phone, “sent.  Only to Yejin, Sehun and Tao, of course.”

 

Kris’ face blanched at Hui Qi’s statement and he almost leaped at her to grab at her phone from across the table.  However, he paused when a knock on the door echoed throughout the guild.  Next thing he knew, Yejin was sauntering into the kitchen with a slightly more awake Tao right behind her.

 

“Hey… Did you guys know that Yejin was coming?”  Tao questioned with a yawn.  The guild replied with a collective “Yes” which which stunned Tao for all of three seconds before he distracted by the sight of dinner on the table.

 

Clasping his hands together like the adorable child he was, Tao exclaimed, “Oh!  Dinner!”  Looking around for his share, he pouted upon not finding it until Sehun, noticing his distress, wordlessly gestured to the portion on the kitchen counter.  Tao bounded over to his dinner and ripped off the saran wrap and began to scarf down the food while shuffling back to the table for a seat.

 

Yejin was ecstatic by the sight of actual food on the table instead of Mirage’s normal meal of ramen and the occasional soup.  “Oh. My. Gosh.  Hui Qi!  This stuff looks incredible!  I see Yixing was the right man for the job!”  She sneaked a bite off of Hui Qi’s bowl and moaned at the taste, “And it tastes even better than it looks!  Yixing! You gotta teach me the recipe sometime!”

 

Yejin then whispered in the guild leader’s ear, “I mean seriously?  A good cook and a smoking hot body to boot.  Where did you find him?  Paradise?”  She gave a sly grin while eyeing the still flustered Yixing across the table.  Hui Qi just chuckled heartily in response, shaking her head at Yejin’s antics.

 

“OH!  That reminds me!  Are you ready for a…”  Yejin raised her voice while lightly (the table could break any time) drumming on the table for dramatic effect, “GIRLS’ NIGHT!?”

 

Hui Qi sighed.  “Oh god, not again…  Let me guess: boys, boys, and more boys?”

 

“Yes. Yes. And EVEN MORE YES!  Get pumped Hui Qi; it’s going to be our best girls’ night yet!”  Yejin let out with an excited squeal.  Hui Qi just accepted defeat and let Yejin do whatever she liked; she would never be able to convince Yejin to change her mind anyways.

 

“Alright, let me just put away my dishes and I’ll meet you upstairs in my room.”  She got up to placed her fork and bowl in the rusty sink.  Hui Qi glanced at the table to see just how many bowls needed washing and decided, “Kris, Tao, you guys are on dish duty tonight.”  Tao let out a muffled whine as his cheeks were still stuffed with food.  “I don’t want to hear it Tao.  You two are the only ones who haven’t pulled their weight around here.  Don’t make me bring up your failed attempt at recruiting Kris.”  Hui Qi shut down any more complaints from Tao (and Kris) with that one statement.  By then, Yejin was already out of the kitchen, probably getting ready for her gossip session with Hui Qi

 


 

Yejin bounded up the stairs and abruptly stopped before the hole in the landing.  “Um… Hui Qi, are you aware of this gaping hole in your stairs?”  She turned back, her eyebrow raised in skepticism.  

 

“Well, it won’t be fixed anytime soon so, just avoid it,” sighed Hui Qi, slightly nudging Yejin forward.  

 

Scoffing, Yejin agreed, “Too true.”  She daintily avoided the hole, and skipped her way up the rest of the stairs.  Hui Qi followed Yejin agilely, moving as swiftly and quietly as a ninja.

 

Kris stared at the whole scene, so baffled by the normalcy in Hui Qi’s tone.  

 

“Hey Kris.  If you’re not going to eat that, I think there are some eager mouths that’d like to finish your food…” trailed Yixing.  Snapping his head to look at his new rival guild mate, Kris glared at Yixing, startling him with the apparent anger.  

 

Huffing indignantly, Kris replied, “Of course, I am going to eat my food.  Why do you ask?  Would you be the “eager mouth” in question here?” spitting out his words tinted with venom.

 

Frowning, Joonmyeon defended Yixing from Kris’s attacks.  “No, of course not!  Yixing is talking about Sehun who’s currently stealing your food!”  Looking sideways, Kris finally noticed Sehun’s bulging cheeks and that his bowl was missing some bok choy.  Defeated, Kris sighed as he swept his bowl out of reach of the “eager mouth” of Sehun.  He quickly resumed eating at a mild pace, only pausing to drink water while watching Sehun with his dagger-like eyes.  Sehun, seeing as he lost his prey, ignored Kris’s stare in favor of Joonmyeon’s food.  Just as his chopsticks were about to reach the tofu, another pair of chopsticks intercepted his.  Glancing up, he realized his opponent was none other than Kris.  The two locked gazes, neither of them backing down.

 

Realizing the silent staredown was due to his food, Joonmyeon cleared his throat, succeeding in interrupting the duel.  “Kris, it’s alright.  I’m not that hungry anyways.  Sehun can have a bit of tofu because I wouldn’t be able to finish it all,” chided Joonmyeon, placing a couple of pieces of tofu into the empty bowl.  Sehun eagerly retracted his chopsticks and his gaze, focusing on the food once more.  

 

Chuckling, Yixing commented, “You’re just like a mom.  Always caring for her chicks.”  At that statement, Joonmyeon blushed, surprising and angering Kris.  How come Yixing was able to make his long-time crush blush when he couldn’t?  How was Yixing able to ensnare Joonmyeon so quickly, sidling up to him like a snake luring in his prey when it took Kris close to forever to even build up enough courage to talk to Joonmyeon in high school?  

 

“Then we should call him Joonmom.  That is what I mistook his name for at first, anyways,” remarked Sehun.  “It’ll make things easier for me.”  Flustered, Joonmyeon tried to prevent Sehun from doing so.  However, he only succeeded in stuttering profusely, causing him to look down at his lap in embarrassment.  Muttering a tiny “fine,” Joonmyeon gave into Sehun’s request, stuffing his mouth with tofu to try and hide the pout forming on his face.  Smirking, Sehun stood up and went over to the sink to deposit his bowl in there as well.  He strode over to the opening of the kitchen before he turned around and addressed the rest of the members.  

 

“I’ll be waiting on the couch to show you all to your new rooms.  Just come when your done.”  Sehun pivoted back around, heading out of the kitchen and leaving Joonmyeon flustered and Kris seething.  With mixed emotions, everyone in the kitchen continued eating, one by one standing up to place their utensils and bowls into the sink for cleaning.  When Kris had laid his bowl in the sink, Tao stood up from his seat and grabbed some dishcloths, all the while trembling.  

 

“Al-Alright, K-K-Kris.”  Taking deep breaths, Tao continued, “Hui Qi told me to, um, do dish duty with you.  So… um, would you like to wash or dry and place?”  

 

Sighing out of exasperation, Kris offered, “I’ll wash because I don’t know where everything’s supposed to go.  And please, stop acting so scared around me.  If you have a bad grip on the bowls, you might break them… and I shudder at what Hui Qi would do if that happened…”  An even more unpleasant face was plastered on Kris’, somehow making Tao bubble with laughter.


Still giggling, Tao nodded.  “Yep.  Hui Qi can be amazingly scary at the worst of times.”

 


A/N:  Yay!  Yejin's back and she's terribly thirsty XD  and awww mini-taoris session <3  If you enjoyed this (not so exciting) chapter, then comment or subscribe!  We'd love to hear from you all!  Seeya next chapter!

Haha I can't believe Kris had the guts to glare at Hui Qi :P (but you gotta love that Taoris tho ;D)