CHAPTER 9

My life in Seoul University.

We caught a sight of the seniors as we were walking our way to the cafeteria. We quickly diverted our path to avoid them. I sighed.

“Why?”

“I wish they’d just disappear.” I said under clenched teeth.

“I wonder why those type of people exist.” I continued.

“Yeah. They just exist to make our lives harder.” Onew hyung said.

“Such a pain in the .”

“But if it weren’t for them, there’d be no people as good as us existing in this world.” He joked. We chuckled in unison as we got out of the school grounds. We were about to enter the almost empty café across the campus as I heard Onew hyung’s phone rang wildly.

“Hello? Yeah—Oh, really? Okay wait for me. I’ll get it. Be right there. Bye—“

“Key.”

“Yeah, hyung?”

“Taemin said that application form for the Musical were released this morning and should get a copy immediately.” I smiled and nodded in understanding. I never thought he’s interested in those kinds of things.

“Go on, hyung.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Now run for your life!” We both laughed in unison as he rushed inside the campus. I hesitantly entered the quiet café and walked to the wide counter. I managed to immediately pick something out from their never ending long menu as the café staff appeared in front of me.

“One Pesto pasta please.” She smiled.

“Right away, sir. What would you like for a drink?”

“Red iced tea please.” I looked around and I’m pretty sure that I saw Jonghyun eating alone in a corner. He was staring blankly ahead the gigantic frosted window on the opposite side as he was playing a fork with his hand.

“Make it two please.” I smiled.

 


I carried my food tray towards an empty table across Jonghyun’s, but I realized it’d be too awkward to eat alone. Should I approach him?

 

“Hey.” I smiled. Jonghyun’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Uhm.. Can I sit with you? It’s pretty lonely there.” I pointed back at the empty table. He slightly panicked and immediately looked around to see if I have company, then nodded when he found no one.

“Here, red iced tea for you.” He glanced at the glass of iced tea then back to me. He nervously smiled and mumbled a ‘thank you’ as I took my seat.

“Wha—“

“It’s my payment for the coffee you left last night.” I cut him off. He froze on his seat and I chuckled.

“Don’t worry, it’s for free and it’s not poisonous.” He shyly smiled as he took a sip. Why is he being shy?

“So.. Why are you alone? Isn’t it lonely?” I asked. He immediately looked away, as if he got scared of my very sudden question.

“I—I..” He stuttered.

“Never mind. Just eat.” I spat. I didn’t want him to feel awkward. I hope he’d feel comfortable with me. 

He seemed quiet, in contrast of what he look like when he’s around those famous heartless seniors. You should’ve stood up for yourself, for your right.  I eyed him softly as he ate his food in silence, sympathy is the only thing I could feel for this guy.

“Why aren’t you touching your food?” He asked me as he caught me staring at him. I saw him smirk as he once again sipped from his iced tea.

“Nothing.” I started eating my pasta in delight. Awkward silence filled the air until we’re done eating our food.

“Hey. I’ll just get something.” He got up from his seat and walked to the counter. What? He’s hungry again? I chuckled inwardly as I studied the café’s interior. Wooden beam dropped ceiling, dim pin lights, a sparkling chandelier made of brass metal, embossed cream coloured wall design, and hard wood maple planks for its flooring. I was in a daze; admiring the café’s beauty until a heard someone cough in front of me.

“Oh. I’m sorry. I was in a daze.” I beamed and he chuckled. My jaw dropped when he placed a tiny plate with an invitingly delicious looking cheesecake topped with strawberries and cream in front of me.

“What’s this?” I asked.

“A cheesecake.” I rolled my eyes.

“I know. But what for?” He looked down and chuckled.

“For being kind to me.”

“Well.. that’s normal?” I bragged.

“Just take it. So.. apology accepted?”

“Apology?”

“For the incident yesterday.”

“Oh. That. Yeah.” My face fell from the thought.

“I know I shouldn’t have laughed at you, but—“

“It’s okay. I understand.” I started eating my free desert as he let out a sigh of relief.

“You know what? You seem kinda different from those seniors.” He just smiled sadly.

“Hey. Don’t be sad, you look awful. Eat this with me.” His lips curled up with a smile as he ate a piece of cake.

“Jonghyun-sshi. If you’re not like them, then why are you hanging out with those kind of people?”

“You won’t understand, Kibum-sshi.”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“Because—“ His phone rang. He just stared at his phone and I saw a glint of anguish in his eyes.

“Aren’t you going to answer it?” He shook his head.

“Just answer it. I swear it’s for the better.” He looked at me with confused eyes as he shakily lifted his phone up to his right ear. With me knowing who the caller was, I just kept silent; eyeing him in sympathy.

“Hello? Yes sunbae. I’ll be right there.” After the call ended, he quickly fixed his things as if he’s going to be late for class.

“Why in a rush?” He glanced up at me.

“I’m sorry, Kibum-sshi.” With that, he quickly stood up and he almost stumbled down his chair. He left me alone.

 

 

 

I lazily dragged my feet back to the school to take my next class. I was passing by the crowded hallway with my head down as I felt someone forcefully push me aside. My head hit the metal lockers and my belongings fell down on the ground.

 

“Yah!!” I screamed in pain as I slammed my fist on the ground. I massaged the painful part of my head as I groggily tried to stand up. I fell again.

“What do you mean ‘Yah’?” A very familiar voice asked. Probably one of the seniors. I just kept silent and ignored him as I started gathering my things.

“Hey.” Someone stopped me by stepping on my hand. I squeaked in pain as he kicked it away from the Algebra book I was reaching for. It was very painful; more than painful.

“Is that how you treat your seniors?” Someone asked. I looked up and saw Kangin shooting me deadly daggers. My gaze landed to the people backing him up and I saw Jonghyun eyeing me sadly. My lips quivered in anger. I know you wouldn’t do anything to stop your seniors.

“Aren’t you going to answer?!” I just rested my pounding head on the locker as he threw something to me. I attentively blocked it away with my left hand and I heard him click his tongue under his teeth. Disappointed that you failed hitting my face with a notebook? I inwardly smirked. He lifted me by the collar, causing me to stand.

“Do you know who I am? Do you know who you’re ing with, you ?!” He roughly whispered on my left ear, sending shivers down my spine. Of course, I know Lucifer. Who doesn’t? I just kept silent and looked away as I tried to squirm out of his tight grip; which caused him to forcefully pull me even more.

“Don’t you have a tongue?!?!” He shouted at my face, winning a weak nod from me. I felt my energy draining out as he continued to shout nonsense rude things on my face. My knees are getting weaker and weaker every second. My ears have already gotten numb from all the painful words I heard from him. Stop, enough.

“What’s your name?”

“K—Kim Kibum.” He smirked.

“Well remember this, Kibummie. Never mess up with us.” I felt a rush of anger when I heard him say my name. I took a long deep breath to calm myself before he released his grip on me. I nearly fell on the ground, feeling so weak; as I ignored random stares from people around. I didn’t care. I just feel so tired to even care. I started to gather my things when a hand stopped me.

“Hyung?” I weakly asked. Onew hyung and a younger looking boy helped me get on my feet.

“Key, are you okay?” Onew hyung checked up on me. I shook my head as I finally let warm tears stream down my face.

“What did I do to deserve this?”

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

AN UPDATE! <3 WOWWWW. THANK YOU SO MUCH. :)

 

I really really appreciate your comments. Kkekeke. :') Well, I gotta sleep. Goodnight. :D