CHAPTER 20 (What makes him so special?)

My life in Seoul University.

“Key! Wait up!” I quickly turned around only to see Jonghyun catching his breath while wiping beads of sweat off his face. I chuckled at the view and earned an unanticipated warm smile from him. My heart suddenly skipped a beat and quickly avoided his gaze to stop it from ramming inside my chest. What the hell is happening?

“Key?”

“Uh. Y-yeah?” I looked up and stuttered.

“You okay?”

“I guess so..” I lied. His face suddenly lit up, probably not noticing my slightly shaking hands.

“Oh! By the way.. Are you free this afternoon?”

“Free?”

“Yeah. Are you?” He placed his hand on my left shoulder sending shivers down my spine.

“Uhm..” I pushed it away and nervously chuckled.

“Please?”

“Why?” I skeptically asked.

“Uhh,” He shyly scratched the back of his head and eagerly bit his lip. How can a guy be this adorable?

“I need a tutor.” My heart suddenly sank but I let out a short mocking laugh.

“Are you kidding me? A tutor?”

“No, I’m not and yes, if you’re free..” He stated matter-of-factly.

“Well, I am. Ten, twenty, thirty— Oh! Thirty..“ I mumbled while counting.

“What? Why are you counting?” He asked.

“I’m free. Money.”

“Money?” He asked.

“Ten dollars per hour.” I responded as innocently as I could manage and his mouth almost fell on the ground. I tried to contain myself from laughing from his unstoppable dorkiness. How the hell did he believed that?

“What? Ten dollars— Wait! That’s so expensive!” He was literally flailing his hands up and down while stomping his left foot. I told you, he is a dork.

“Well.. If you don’t want it.. I’ll better be going now.” I smiled cheekily as soon as I turned my back on him.

“Wait! I really need your help. Please, Key.” This time, I wasn’t able to contain myself anymore and burst laughing my heart out. I was literally sitting and almost rolling on the floor while holding my stomach and kicking the invisible wind.

“Yah. What are you doing?” He asked.

“I was kidding, Jonghyun. Of course I’ll tutor you for free.” I stated truthfully.

“You mean it?” He seemed to get his thoughts back as he flashed a warm smile and stared right back at me. I was slowly melting into his gaze as he extended his hand and helped me up. I weakly nodded as warm blood crept up my face. Every single stare and touch from him was giving me butterflies. What is this feeling? I’ve never been this comfortable with anyone else in my whole life aside from my family and close friends. Maybe.. maybe there‘s just something about him that is making him so special.  What makes him so special?

 

“Your place or mine?” I asked.

 

 

 

I threw my bag on his bedside and loosened up my tie. Jonghyun followed my gesture and pulled out a book I recognize; his Math book.  He handed it to me and sat on the armchair with a huff.

“Our professor told me that I was nearly failing math so he asked me to look for help. How I hate Algebra..” He scrunched his nose up and pouted like a child.

“He said that Joori noona can tutor me,” He sighed. “but she’s just so scary.”

“Who is Joori noona?” I innocently asked. I’m new in the University after all.

“Joori noona is one of the school’s guidance counselor.”

“Counselor?” I asked. If she’s a counselor, why the hell did our math professor recommend her to tutor Jonghyun?

“Yeah. But she was a math teacher too before.” He responded as if he read my thoughts. I just flashed a smile and scanned the book.

“You should have agreed to our professor.” I mumbled.

“W-what? No!” He exclaimed.

“Why not?”

“I told you, she is scary. She’ll eat me.. alive!” My eyes went round as his statement, but recovered as soon as he flashed his famous grin. Maybe Ms. Joori is a terror math teacher that’s why she’s not one anymore.

“Anyway.. what are we learning today?” Jonghyun asked.

“What? Shouldn’t you be the one to tell me what to teach you?” I asked but he just sighed.

“Eh? What did you.. fail? Let’s just start with that, I guess.” He puffed his cheeks and pulled out piles of paper out from his bag. He quickly scanned them with a pout and handed it to me with an inaudible sigh. Oh no, he doesn’t look happy.

“Are you alright, Jonghyun?” He didn’t respond and was looking down, playing with his pen.

“Jonghyun?” He finally looked up, corners of his mouth slowly twitching, forming into a small smile.

“It’s just so embarrassing..” He said.

“Why?” I diverted my gaze to the quiz papers I was holding and scanned it. Oh my God.

“I’m sorry you’ll have to teach me everything, Key.” He said with another pout forming on his face. Why does he have to be this adorable?

“It’s okay. Let’s just start from this.” I waved a paper in front of his face but he still wouldn’t smile.

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” I reassured him with the best smile I could manage. He hopped and joined me on the bed and browsed his book.

“It’s this one, right?” He asked while pointing at the lesson 1 in the algebra book.

“Yeah.” I chuckled.

“Okay, now. I already taught you the basics last time I was here, right? Do you still remember it?” He grinned and quickly nodded.

“Good. So.. Let’s just review it first then move on in answering these. Again.” I stated as I pointed to the quiz he failed. This is going to be a long afternoon.

 

 

We finished studying after almost three hours and he seemed to cope up. I wish he’d do a lot better next time. I smiled in contentment and stretched my arms after I fixed our mess. I stared at his sleeping figure at the end of his bed, while still holding his pen. He surely loves that pen. I glanced at my watch and a gasp escaped from my mouth. 8pm?? I quickly grabbed my bag and stashed my things inside, loud and shaky enough to wake Jonghyun up.

“Sorry for waking you.” He squinted his eyes opened and got up.

“It’s okay, Key. What time is it?” He asked in a husky yet adorable voice.

“It’s eight in the evening, Jonghyun.”

“Oh. Sorry if I wasn’t able to cook dinner for us.” Jonghyun said.

“It’s okay.” I smiled.

“Are you hungry?” He asked.

“Uhh.. Yeah. But we got food in our dorm. I must go back now.”

“I won’t take that as an answer. Let’s eat dinner outside. My treat. It's for making you suffer in teaching me and-- for not taking you to downtown today.” He suggested.

“But—“ I was cut off when he pulled my hand towards the exit.

“Where are we going?”

“We’re going to eat. Duh.” He answered playfully. My sarcasm is so contagious.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

A short 1,150 plus words update! Hehe. Sorry it took me this long. Busssssyyyyyyy. Thank you for the love and support! <3