CHAPTER 1

My life in Seoul University.

June 8, 2010.

 

It’s my first day in Seoul University. I just moved in from Daegu to continue my studies here in Seoul. My parent’s dream for me was to be a doctor. I always wanted to fulfill their wishes but it’s just not my specialty. It’s not like I hate Sciences, I don’t love it either. I’m just not good at it. As much as I didn’t want to disappoint them, I had to. Our family is also having financial problems. Getting a medical course isn’t a joke, it’s very expensive. Truthfully, we can’t even afford half of the first semester’s tuition fee.

 

My father is working as a mechanic in a not so famous junk shop in Daegu. His earnings are just enough to pay for our monthly rent and electric bills. On his counterpart, my mother owns a small eatery across our little house, earning enough money to fulfill our daily needs. I also have a little brother who’s in his 3rd grade. He’s very jolly, at the same time, thoughtful. Even in his young age, he knows how to take care of our parents. Thank God, we have him. They have someone to take over my place while I’m temporarily gone.

 

 

 

 

6:47 am.

 

 

I entered Seoul University’s campus feeling so anxious. Will I be able to do well? Will I be able to get along with other students? I dragged my heavy feet towards the main building. I entered the huge old building and stared at the grand flight of stairs in front of me. Is this even a school?  I went up to the offices to get my schedule sheet. I was greeted by an old lady in purple who was busy reading piles of paper. When she felt my presence, she slowly looked up and greeted me with a weak smile. Was she even sleeping? Dark circles under her eyes, thin figure, saggy skin. By just looking at her is making me feel tired.I slightly fixed my uniform as I approached her.

 

“What is it you need?” I gave her a 90 degree bow and introduced myself.

“Annyeong haseyo. I’m Kim Kibum, the new transferee. I’m from Daegu.”  She uncomfortably scanned me from head to toe as she fixed her glasses.

“So.. You’re Mr. Kim Kibum, huh? Welcome aboard.”  I gave her a nervous smile.

“I’m here to get my schedule sheet, Ma’am—“

“Choi Seunghee. Call me Ma’am Seunghee.”

“Ah, neh. Ma’am Seunghee.” She quickly dug something from the piles of paper resting on the dark mahogany table.

“Here. Here is your schedule Mr. Kibum.” She handed me a paper.

“Thank you so much, Ma’am Seunghee.”

“Be careful with that piece of paper. You’ll need that ‘til your IDs are released sometime in August.”

“Thank you again.” I flashed my real smile as I gave her another bow. I quickly headed out the building to find my designated one. Not bad, isn’t it? At least she was nice to me on my first day. I sighed in relief as I wiped beads of sweat forming in my forehead.

 

“College of Arts and Music. Hmm..” I glanced at my watch, 6:56 am.

“. I’m going to be late.” I walked faster as my eyes were busy looking for any signs of the said building. I saw some students chattering beside the campus’s park and I didn’t have second thoughts in approaching them.

“Excuse me. Do you happen to know where the College of Arts and Music building is?” The three confused students quickly glanced at each other and gave me weird stares, as if I wasn’t a human being. One of them pointed to the direction opposite to where I’m going. I mumbled a ‘thank you’ and gave them a quick bow. I almost sprinted out to the direction they gave me as more students gave me weird stares. I didn’t care about them, I only cared about myself being late. As soon as I reached the building, I attempted to enter it as fast as I could, but a guard suddenly blocked my way.

“Excuse me. Let me take a look of your registration form first.”

“What registration form? I don’t—Oh. That.” I dug my bag and searched for my registration form.

“Here it is.” He took a one long look at my registration form and shook his head.

“Is there any problem, sir?” He clicked his tongue under his teeth.

“Your building is supposed to be on the other side. Not here. This is the College of Engineering, Mr. Kim Kibum.” My mouth gaped open as I was trying to comprehend his statement. I snatched my registration form from his hands and swiftly took a look on it. I groaned in frustration and slightly stomped my feet.

“Aish. Those students!” The guard chuckled mockingly and told me to move along.

“Be careful, kid. There are lots of bastards in this school.” I just rolled my eyes and started to walk away.

 

 

What a way to start the year.

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

So what do you think? :D

 

Hope you liked it. :)