CHAPTER 8

My life in Seoul University.

We had our breakfast earlier than usual to avoid any possible encounters with the seniors. I ordered plain waffles and a cup of latte to fill my empty grumbling stomach.

 

“Coffee again?” Onew hyung snorted as a cocky grin crept on his face. I pretended not to catch up on his lame attempt of joke as I stirred in; a packet of creamer in my warm coffee.

“Why? What’s wrong with drinking coffee every morning?”

“So last night was a ‘morning’ for you, huh?” I rolled my eyes and ignored him. He mischievously chuckled and started eating his American style breakfast.

“Hyung.”

“What?” He looked up.

“Are now going to tell me?”

“Tell you what?”

“The thing we were talking about last night..”

“What about it?” I let out a shaky sigh and continued munching on my waffles.

“Jonghyun. About that guy..”

“What do you want to know about him?”

“Everything.” His mouth fell open as he stared at me in disbelief.

“What?! Close your mouth and stop staring at me.” I spat defensively.

“Why do you wanna know him?” I froze. Why do I want to know him? And exactly what; about him?

“I—I don’t know. Nothing. Whatever. Never mind. Just eat. Let’s not talk about that bipolar coffee man.” Onew hyung roared in laughter and I just kept silent.

“You sure, Key?” I ate the last piece of my food.

“Y—yeah.”

“I don’t think so. Let’s go.” He forcefully pulled me outside the dorm heading to only God knows where.

“Yah. Where are we going?” I tried to pull my hand out of his hands but his grip was just too tight. Damn this chicken maniac.

“Stop it. I’m not going to you, for Christ’s sake.” He laughed. I just followed him obediently and became silent. We headed to the park where I was last night and took a seat on an empty bench. I looked around in awe as pink and light orange faded dried leaves started falling like a winter snow.

“Well. What are we doing here?”

“To tell you what you wanna know?” He said sarcastically.

“Why does it have to be here?” He just smiled and started talking again.

“Well, you know.. Jonghyun isn’t really a bad guy.” My eyebrows automatically knitted together in curiosity.

“He was once my roommate when he transferred here in Seoul. Just like you.”

“What?!”

“Yeah. He was once my friend..” I saw glint of sadness in his eyes and I felt shivers down my spine. So he was once his friend? Why do they act like they don’t know each other anymore? I felt the urge to ask but I don’t have the guts to. I just gave him a light pat, telling him to go on.

“He was a nice person, I swear to God. He’s respectful, studious, and obedient.”

“But.. Wha—“

“But what happened?” The corner of his lips twitched in anger as he clenched his fists like a ball.

“As soon as he entered this University, his life became a living hell. He was made fun of, and bullied by those heartless seniors; to the point that he almost became their slave.”

“Slave?!” He lifted his gaze from the ground and looked at me.

“He said he had no choice but to become one of them to avoid physical and emotional abuse.” He shrugged.

“You mean..”

“Yeah. He joined them by his own will just to save his burning of the heated pan.”

“What the—“

“I know he did the wrong choice, but there was nothing I can do to stop him—“

“Or to stop the seniors from bullying him. God! Why are they so heartless?” He just shrugged and created a loud sigh as he stared up at the sky. Thought so. I always felt different every time I see him No. There’s just something different about him.

“So that’s why..”

“What?”

“That’s why he looks different.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s not as mean as them. Whenever I look at him, he would always look away as if he’s afraid or something. The way he looked at me last night wasn’t normal either. The small deed he made last night is hard to do for a real bully.” I smiled at the thought.

“Yeah.”

“Have you ever talked to him after that incident?”

“No. After he moved out, we never talked.”

“Why?”

“I tried talking to him, but he was avoiding me. He said if I don’t want to be hurt by the seniors, I should avoid talking to him.”

“Well.. that’s weird. It’s like he sold his soul to the devil.” He let out a dry chuckle that echoed through the quiet park.

“I hope you won’t do the same, Key.”

“So you mean they’d also bully me?” I mockingly asked.

“No. I really wish not. But if ever that happens, don’t sell your soul to those devils like what he did. Just—just be careful.” He eyed me sadly.

“I won’t, and I’ll be careful. I promise. Thanks hyung.” I sighed.

 

 At least I won’t .

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

There you go! <3

 

 

Jonghyun's past was slightly revealed. I hope you liked it. :D