Chapter 8

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Ryosuke POV

To say i wasnt worried for her, would be a lie. I havent been able to concentrate much since that night. My brain constantly recurred the events of her family's harsh words towards her. Her no reply on her phone makes it harder for me to think that nothing has happened after that. I was somewhat apologetic to Mizuo too since i was mostly distracted when we were out on dates. I didn't tell her any of what happened, i didnt feel there's a need for her to know Mirai's unfortunate events jusr like how i did not share with Mizuo about my meet with my mother. It's privacy. Then again Mizuo probably has seen my troubles written all over my face. I really cant hide the guilt towards Mirai. I should have controlled my stupid mouth when I confronted her family. Who do i think i am to stand up for her... Who do i think i am to worry so much too... Sigh. But there wasn't even a clue to these questions.

When i overheard from Chinen that she will be in school on Thursday to help them with some drama club stuff, i have decided to catch her then. It would have been easier to talk it over than me guessing over and over. I am someone who dislikes to pretend I understood someone, i'll just ask.

So that day, i headed to school. I was sure i did not tell Mizuo about my plans but she turned up at the drama club too. She wasnt the only one, cause we both saw Hiro heading towards the clubroom right from the opposite direction. He did not see us, which is great. I turned into the corner behind him and realised he was meeting Mirai there. That wasnt much unexpected since i should have guessed it earlier since he couldnt have been here to meet Chinen or Umika as they are both out for club retreat. I always felt peeved when i see Hiro and his flirtatious behaviour towards girls... Okay, maybe the word flirtatious isnt to be used by me, then perhaps his pretentious kindness towards girls or more so towards Mirai. Because she's more needy? If so, then it probably explains why i feel alittle different towards her, more concerned. 

I wanted to wait out for Hiro to be gone before i talk to her, then just when the moment came when she walked out from the room to another and wanted to walk up to her, I realised there were a few girls behind. They followed her into the room and closed the door behind them, enclosing the four in the confined space. Mizuo and myself could see what's happening inside through a small window on the door, and fortunately they were loud enough to be heard. It was outright bullying as they accused her of being loose towards chinen, hiro and even me?!! They pushed her and humiliated her. What is wrong with me, i felt a surge of anger. I was so infuriated that i wanted to push through the door, but Mizuo suddenly held me back and pulled me away to a corner. She clinged onto my neck and pulled me closer, "we shouldn't interfere in this matter. It's girls' business. And as outsiders, we can't exactly judge what's truth." She is right, yet why was I still hesitant about being a bystander. I looked from far, with my hands naturally tightened into a fist. Hiro heard the commotion and dashed in and soon after Mirai ran out with her head lowered. I didnt have the time to respond cause the next instant she ran right into me. She wasn't crying but her eyes were overwhelmed with sadness. Any girl having gone through this would have broke down by now, but she did not. That perplexed look of hers affected me, right up to the point she shoved me away and dashed right past, i was still deep in thoughts. I wanted to run after her, worried that something happen in such a emotional state of mind, but Hiro dashed past before i could react. I would have gone after too, even if Mizuo grabbed my hand tight, except something else distracted me. All three girls were familiar. I have seen them at functions, wait a minute... I know who they are. 

"Niichan? Why is he here?..." I heard Mizuo's rant. She noticed my gaze at her, so she quickly changed topic, "ryosuke, let's not be affected by this. We can head over to the cafe nearby for a drink." 

I wouldnt just let it go. I held her back just as she tried to drag me away in the other direction from where mirai and hiro went. 

"Why?" She asked me, oblivious, or pretending to be. 

"Those girls, shouldn't you say hi, at least? They did you a big favour," i said, pulling a smile. Not only did she not reciprocate the smile of mine, she frowned, and her usual confidence seemed to have been taken over by nerve-wrecking fear.

"W-what are you saying, R-Ryosuke... I d-dont know them personally " she stammered.

"Oh really... I vaguely recalled you talking to them not too long ago at a event and... Arent one of their names, Riko?"

"B-but..."

"Answer me, one of their names is Riko, am I right?"

She felt reluctant to answer. She had no choice but nodded. I smirked as i told her in her face, "your instructions to Riko over the phone, i heard it. So this was what it is about."

"Ryosuke, it's not like what it seemed... Please forgive me. Please," Mizuo begged, clinging to my sleeves and crying for my forgiveness. 

"I can't believe this," I wasnt in the mood to entertain her nonsense. I shake her away and went off in the direction of Hiro and Mirai. I obviously didnt catch up, and the only other place i know was her house. I needed to apologise to her, thats the right thing to do and probably why I couldn't control my anxiousness. I seldom felt this anxious. Was it more the feeling of obligation or something else. I'm not sure. I pondered these questions as i sat at a bench facing her house. 

It didn't take long before i saw her appear at her doorsteps. She wasn't alone. I literally gasped when i saw the person behind pulled her in for an embrace. Hiro was comforting her. It was him, not anyone else. She did not push him away. She reciprocated, as she buried herself deep in his wide spread arms. Her arms circled around him. But it's not like it's my business whatever she do, so i couldnt quite interpret my actions after this. But the worst was when she smiled for him. I should have been thankful she did, but i wasnt. Everything has happened so fast, that when i finally reconciled my thoughts together, i had already stomped my way to her. By then, there was only her left. 

"R-Ryosuke senpai... Why are you here?" She looked surprised. It would have been weird if she hadn't anyway. While it's a simple line, i felt immensely infuriated when she questioned my presence. It was almost like i was an unexpected guest, what's worst was the differing gaze i saw when she looked at Hiro and at me. Why is it that there's only fear and despair when she looked at me, like as though i was redundant. I had no intention to answer her, instead i smirked, "well, well, Shida Mirai... I must admit you surprise me quite a bit. Those girls weren't wrong about you."

Her look of lost was annoying. My anger erupted further, and that made me utter words that were irreparable. "You really loved one after another. You are really cheap. I wonder how cheap it is to buy your love. Chinen, Hiro and..."

"It's not like this... Please believe me," she grabbed my hands, sobbing and begging for my understanding. Frankly, i did not consider that pitiful look of her then when i shook her hands away harshly. I remarked heartlessly, "there's really no difference between you and those other pretentious girls, doing so much to earn the attention of guys. I'm just wondering to what extent were all those unfortunate things that happened to you pre-planned by yourself..just to get guys to pity you and come to your aid. Wow it'll be scary if it's even 1% of it."

"Yamada Ryosuke! I... I didn't pretend any of these!"

"... Whatever. Don't need to convince me cause I've seen how you acted so frail in front of Hiro and i can tell you, it worked well for him. I dont even know why i am wasting my time here" I responded sarcastically. I ignored her cries, hardened my heart and turned around. It's all unnecessary sympathy cause she obviously didn't appreciate it a bit.

She shouted from my back, "i never asked you to come! And even if what you said were true, i dont see how it offends you!"

In my fit of anger, i turned back to her with my fist clenched and blurting out exactly what was in my mind, "... Excuse me, you were the one who told me at sensei's office that day, that you... Forget it, why am i even explaining?!!! And yes, just take it that i was a fool to worry for you!"

I didnt know why i said any of these. My intention was surely to comfort her, to tell her that it was part of a malicious plan, but i ruined it obviously. As i stomped off, i saw at the corner of my eyes, a really damaged girl. Her cry was heartbreaking. She squat where she was and let it all out in sadness. It felt almost like she's mourning for a dead, except she herself was the dead. That scene stayed with me, and it was unbearable. I punched the wall in my room, ventilating my frustration, with who i dont know. 

....

Contrastingly, Hiro felt a cuddle in his heart. He laid on his bed with his head on his arms, facing the celling, wearing a soft smile. He reminisced that moment where he held her in his arms, that moment he felt he was of some help. He could still sense that sensation of her resting in his embrace, hear those cries like all hell broke loose. He could tell she never cried much to others, putting a false front because she did not want to appear as a burden. he remembered himself spoiling her and making it impossible not to break her own oath never to cry in the presence of someone else. He wrapped his arms around her, rubbing her back, and he ensured his gesture was polite and soothing.

When he pulled away slightly, and looked deeply into her eyes. He held her face and wiped her tears with his thumb. It would have been awkward, but he made sure he did it so well, she will feel safe letting him take care of her. it seemed her frozen face, wet then dried of tears, grew warmer with the heat from his palms. 

Then her trembling lips uttered his name, "Hiro~ s-sorry". He heard her guilt as she apologised for wetting his clothes with her tears. She was sorry for putting him in a spot. However, he shoved all those aside and showed her only his unlimited kindness. He lightly patted his head and said with a mellow voice, "no bother. Those girls are nasty. I would have felt terrible too and reacted the same way, but..."

"But?" She wiped her tears, and asked with a struggling voice, half hiccups half talking.

"I would have returned them a few slaps," he laughed. he felt his attempt to lighten the mood paid off, as she let out a subtle smile, and her gaze filled with immense gratitude. "You should smile more. You look pretty when you smile, has anyone told you that?" 

She appeared shocked, almost likened to telling him No one has said that to her before. her cheeks flush red. She desperately shook her head as though she didnt deserve the compliments, and he answered with coolness, "then i am the first to tell you. And i am not saying out of pity."

"Arigatou, Hiro," she uttered softly. While he accepted it, "he bent down with his arms on her shoulders, conveying his takeaways for this incident, "you dont have to bother about what they said. You deserve to have friends, and there's no such thing as who is not worthy to befriend who. No one else can manipulate it too. We befriend who we want to, i am sure Chinen and Ryosuke would agree with me. These girls are just spouting nonsense. So dont think about it, and have a good rest, okay?"

While she nodded her head as a gracious gesture to give her appreciation to the kind-hearted 'friend', he saw through her that she has reservations of what he said, . As he said his goodnight and turned against her, he continued to look back at her exhausted self, dazed. He could see her mind overwhelmed by thoughts about the concept of the compatibility of friends and whether she has stepped overboard the line between friends and affection that people have began to express disgust. She clutched her head as it throbbed in pain, However, he was certain she could brave through the storm. So he left her with the lasting impression of that light smile. Never did he know he was still far from understanding her and her real feelings of fire and water, or heaven and earth, or virtually opposite collision of energies within her. The struggle and the 'heart'ship was unbearable and the harsh exchange with Ryosuke had unleashed all the injustice built within herself, and shattered what used to be a false front. 

****
2 weeks have past since the fateful event. No one spoke about what happened, since  the people involved were the only ones who witnessed the scene. Those responsible were terribly warned to stay out of sight while the mastermind has been given the cold shoulders by her beloved. Apologies nor the art of seduction helped her this time, as the latter refused to meet. The victim on the other hand went to school as per normal, doing the same routine as she always did. If everything seemed like it was swept beneath the rubbles, and all the angst that happened were forgotten, then it's definitely wrong. There were changes, drastic ones. Umika and Chinen experienced the change but were completely unaware of what had happened, to draw any link. They would have asked, but Mirai had not spend time with neither him nor her for the past 2 weeks, almost seemed as though she was avoiding them, or rather she was avoiding any signs of human. Umika saw her with her head lowered so much and her footsteps so hasty when she walked past other students across corridors. It worries her. She told Chinen about it, but he ended up teasing her everytime that umika was thinking too much and that Mirai is not that weak at all. Umika told Chinen recently that Hiro was also looking for her desperately but couldnt get her on the phone. Whenever umika brood the topic the topic with her, she would find plentiful excuses not to answer. Chinen gradually realised what Umika mentioned, especially when she constantly avoids his gaze. They felt the virtual wall built in between them, a distance she constantly maintained.

Even on a celebratory event today, she wasn't around, excusing herself with just a phone message that reads, "i saw your results, Chinen. Congratulations for scoring straight ace for your finals! Onwards to graduation next week." Chinen could not feel her genuine excitement for him via a text message, and he could not understand why she wouldn't even meet him for a second. umika sat beside chinen at the stadium overlooking at tracks. Seeing how the three musketeers is down with one, they couldn't quite perk up. 

"I finally understand what you mean. She is avoiding us. I don't know why, that's the most frustrating." Chinen frowned as he spoke, "i thought we have already resolved  our friendship issues the last time and everything was back to the way it is. Why is she giving us the cold shoulders again?" Umika could sense he wasn't happy at all, in fact there was an undertone of frustration against her.

"I'll find a way to talk to her about it, Chii. We won't lose her. Friends forever, we promised right. She must be bothered by something that she don't know how to tell us, so give her some time," umika slide herself into his arms and wrapped her arm around him, leaning against his chest and consoling him. It was clearly a role reversal since it was Chinen who comforted her the previous time. 

Chinen took a deep breathe and then shrug away those unhappy feelings, then commented, "she must come for the graduation ceremony next friday. I'm not giving her a choice." The two broke in laughter at his comment.

"By the way, did Ryosuke manage to pass?"

"He is really lucky as usual. Failing all the interim exams, but when it comes to finals, he'll definitely pass. He scraped through all his subjects, so that's really fortunate. Although I must say that he really worked hard this time. It's quite a change from his can't-be-bothered attitude towards life."

"He must be really happy," Umika added, only to be surprised by Chinen's follow-up.

"Quite there opposite. Should i say he didn't seem himself lately. He quarrels quite a bit with Mizuo most of the time but this time, it seems like he isn't talking to her at all and he appeared quite angsty around people too. He looked really pissed off over something and I don't even know what. Even today when we received our results, he took one look then crushed those papers into his bag and walked off. He was totally disinterested."

"Chinen, you should call him and check if he's okay. He may need a listening ear"

"You don't know him well, this doesn't happen once only, this basically happens quite frequently, like as if he experiences pre-menstrual syndrome too. Spoilt brat during these periods, so I'm not gonna spoil him further. Leaving him alone is the best for everyone. He's gonna be okay after a week, though this time is abit longer than usual."

"If you say so... Why are our friends so worrying.~" umika sighed for mirai, though chinen on the other hand wasn't really worrying for Ryosuke, cause he is simply too used to his tantrums to think this is a source of concern. 

"Don't have to worry. They're old enough to think for themselves. By the way, Umika, I am going out with my classmates to try out the graduation gown. Ah, they're here waiting for me to go together already," he signalled to the group of them, 3 other guys and 1 girl, that he is coming. 

"You wanna come along?" He invited. But as much as Umika wants to, the group elitist vibe makes it hard to breathe around them, let alone go with them. Umika could also tell that his friends will not approve of her. Especially from the gaze of his female friend, she could tell she wasn't pleased with the relationship and the guys looked over at her with mocking gaze. She avoided them together and said with a lethargic tone, "You go along. Bye!"

She ran along like she was rushing somewhere, so he helplessly shouted, "oi Umika," with no avail. Times like this, he would hope Ryosuke was here to enlighten why her abrupt departure again. He was sure it was a result of his shallow mind again.

"Mirai!" Umika saw her in a corner, head down as usual, dragging her feet down the flight of stairs, lugging her shoulder bag. Mirai subtly acknowledged then Umika rushed to say, "can you accompany me?"

Before Mirai could respond, Umika clinged onto her and ran towards the exit of the school. Mirai could not have refused with Umika desperate need for her friend. With a somewhat heavier heart, she followed until they reached outside a men's fashion store.

"Heh?"

"I hope to get a tie for Chinen, for his graduation. Do you think he'll like it?" Umika asked for opinions.

"He will like it surely." Mirai lightly smiled in consensus. The two girls went into the store, excitedly rummaging through a whole line of ties to see which would look best on Chinen. They imagined, they laughed. Mirai temporarily forgotten the unhappy memories, fully immersing herself in the happy memories of her friend. They finally chose a turquoise blue tie which resonated well with Chinen's bubbly character. While Umika was paying for the item, she saw Mirai engrossed at a plain maroon tie. When Umika joined her once she was done, she recounted to Mirai one of their aspirations on their first day of school, " We talked about it before remember, to present the tie to the guy we like on their graduation day. Those were the days we shared about everything"

Umika's intention was to bring back memories of those innocent friendship that she thought had become strained in recent times, hoping that it could trigger Mirai to let go off whatever she is suppressing within her, to share with her if possible and let her help her with the problems she is facing. More importantly, she wants to tell Mirai that she is there for her - always. 

However, Mirai's response proved her approach had backfired, "I'm happy for you, Umika" it only showed to her that she had left Mirai behind, just like the last time Chinen had surfaced the problem. Umika thought when they addressed the issue together the last time, it should had bridged the distance, but apparently not only that it did not grow closer, it has widened. Is it not possible for friendship and love to coexist? Umika's mind was flooded by the conviction that what she thought was what led to Mirai's recent isolation, and attributed all blame to her foolish love. She felt for a moment that if she could not get the blessings from her friend and the people around him, then it is meaningless to continue with Chinen. She also did not want to burden Chinen with having to speak for her in front of his friends. Mirai is her bestest friend, and if she cant achieve that aspiration, she'll accompany her too. 

"Maybe i should not be with Chinen if it upsets you. I rather have my best friend back, Mirai" Umika threw her arms around Mirai, but the latter pushed her away after she recovered from the shock. 

"Don't be silly. I don't want you do something so stupid. I don't deserve that sort of sacrifice from you."

"But~"

"No buts! If you ever say this again, I'll not befriend you anymore."

Umika was taken aback by the strong words she used. "Okay okay, I won't say that anymore. Peace?"

Mirai nodded. The mood was already awkward. Mirai put back the tie which Umika brood over whether it was meant to fit Hiro, since it cant Definitely be for Ryosuke. As they paced down the pathway to the cross junction where they should eventually go on separate ways, Umika wasn't contented that it all had to end this way.

"Mirai... You don't dislike me okay? I need strength to carry on with Chinen. Those of his friends, didn't like the way things are now. I don't know if i can hold on if you will leave me too" she held Mirai's hands. It was as though Mirai didn't have enough worries already, but the girl did what she can to give that strength she needs.

"Umika, you are fortunate to get together with the guy you like, and same for him too. Since the two of you like each other, you shouldn't care what others think or say. It'll be too tiring to consider everyone's feelings when it should be just about the 2 of you. I'll be here whenever you need a listening ear, but you should also know that your stress stems from you trying to get everyone to like you. It's not possible. You are already likeable, unlike me who could only get on people's nerves. So really, just live your life the way you want it. Don't bother about others' perceptions cause there won't be an end."

umika's eyes welled with tears cause she felt that mirai spots on in everything she has been feeling. Even when the latter wasn't in the best of mood, she was still there to offer her advice. She really couldn't thank mirai more. Mirai cleaned away the fallen tears from Umika then ask that she go ahead. 

Mirai walked till Umika could never get a glimpse of her from the back and that no one could see her. She leaned against the wall and clutched her heart. She felt breathless, she felt extremely tired for acting brave. She wanted to just cry on someone's shoulder, but there is no one. Not even Umika when she herself was burdened by thoughts. The very words Ryosuke spoke of her haunt her the past 2 weeks that she could face anyone. If she had advised Umika not to care about what others think of her, then she needed to convince herself that too. However, she had completely given up on pleasing anyone cause even remaining invisible became a whole lot harder. Sometimes, the thought of ending her own life would cross her mind. Then she'll shake it off. Though she really don't know how long.

She unknowingly had walked herself to his street, hiding at one corner where she could overlook his apartment. She wanted to apologise to him, if she even have affected his mood. However after several hours, she saw him all dressed up, heading out. He wore all black, and although he did not wear a smile, it seemed he wasn't much different from his usual self. Mirai knew she obviously thought too highly of herself for having that weight to affect him. It was just her against the world, and everyone else is simply going ahead without her, or even better without her. She clenched her teeth and brought back those tears, walking the opposite direction.

*****
"Hey Ryosuke, here!" A group of all males from his class called out to him as he entered the underground pub, very dark and blasting of loud music. He was surprised to see a few junior girls around, whose eyes were fixated on him when he arrived.

"Why are there others?" He asked in front of the girls.

"It'll be more fun with their company. Besides, this girl, one of them is interested in you, ne. Mizuo won't know that you've looked at others, don't worry. We won't say. You deserve to celebrate how ever you like for your successful scrap through of 4 years high school. " the guys teased.

It didn't take time for him to know who they were implying. There was a more shy girl being pushed by the other girls to sit beside him. They pushed her until there was no place beside her anymore and that the next push would force her onto his lap. 

"Gomenasai senpai," she timidly adjusted her nerdy specs. He surveyed her and could tell a stark difference between her and the other more outgoing friends she had. Moreover, she reminded him of a certain someone, except what this girl was alot harder to figure and persistent. "Senpai, my name is Chiba Umi."

He nodded then carried on drinking from the big jug of beer. 

"You are really the cause of jealousy among the graduants this year, for getting a job offer right before graduation! That's why people say that behind every successful man, there's a woman. No wonder you lasted much longer with Mizuo than your other girlfriends. She is awesome to get that modelling deal for you. You have accepted, right?"one of them asked. Another guy added, "new york 2 years. Hmm... You get all the pretty blonde hair girls. No hope for the girls here, ne. "

Ryosuke poured down his throat another jug filled with beer. It burnt his throat as it trickled down. He didn't respond to the guys. Instead he turned to Umi.

"If you don't feel comfortable here, which i could see you are definitely not, think you can just excuse yourself. You don't have to force yourself to be here. No one can force you. If you're afraid they bully you, don't worry, i will personally guarantee they won't touch you" he said without even giving her a look in her eyes.

"B-but i can stay. I like..." She couldn't complete her confession as he interrupted her, bluntly. "I get it. Message conveyed. You've said what you wanna say, so you can go now"

"I don't mind that you are with Mizuo." She implied, as she threw herself over him. He was appalled by her initiative, while his classmates cheered rowdily. Her grip tightened but that also woke his senses. He pushed her aside and told her sternly, "i hate girls who don't even respect herself. You're one of those, unfortunately." He gulped down one whole jug of refilled beer in one breathe, then stood up, unstable.

The guys remarked, "where are you going Ryosuke? Angry with us for the entertainment we arranged? Chill man. When were you even serious about relationships. As long as we know you, you were never serious about the girls you take. Don't tell us Mizuo is the one that changed this promiscuous attitude of yours. Or do you feel that you owe her."

"Shut your nonsense. I'm heading home. Make sure Umi gets home safely" he stumbled his way from his seat while Umi looked at him with eyes twinkle of gratitude. As he stumbled towards the door unstably, his shoulders knocked right into a macho man. Their shoulders did not collide too hard, but they two became offended. The man shouted , "clearly you are either blind or you did it deliberate."

Ryosuke regained his stable footing then smirked with a devilish eyes piercing into the big man's eyes, "So what if i did it on deliberate. I just don't like empty abs like you"

"You~" the man clenched his fist, "you have yourself to blame," then he swing his arms and gave Ryosuke a hard punch that the impact got the latter crashed backwards towards the wall. The sides of his lips bled. But instead of expressing pain, he let out a hysteric laugh that stopped abruptly and ended with a returning punch that sent the assailant flung backwards knocking over a table of drinks. "Dont you there mess with me!" Ryosuke warned, and the man strangled Ryosuke with his thick arms over his neck from behind. Ryosuke's friends was shocked to see everything out of control. They ran to help him, but in a twist of events, Ryosuke was on top of the man then he threw continuous punches over him. "Ryosuke, STOP!" Both sides of friends took painstaking efforts to pull them apart. The man shouted back, "you ill-mannered child. Didn't your mother teach you manners!!!"

"Hah. Yes, i dont have a mother, nor a father to teach me manners." He laughed. Almost blurting out the fact about his mother's background in the presence of his friends, it was fortunate the police arrived and interrupted. It is however also unfortunate that when the police arrived, his friends all fled, not wanting to be implicated in the matter, leaving Ryosuke to be escorted to the police station alone.

The assailant got bailed out almost immediately when the procedures are done. However, Ryosuke had no friends around him to bail him out then. The assailant then mocked as he walked past the temporary detention cell, "you friends think you're a brat too, no one is there when you need. That's the most pathetic life form."

Ryosuke threw him a dark glance from where he sat, crouched at a corner of the poor lighted cell. Once the assailant left, he leaned his head on his arms tugging his legs to his chest. He was hit by an explainable frustration which was none other than a facade for sadness. 

"Boy. Who do you wanna call for bail?"

Instead of answering the police, Ryosuke threw another death glance and ignored the question. 

"Leave him alone. He can sleep here all night. Let's just pack up and end our duty tonight," another police gestured, and so soon the whole place was dark, with the only source of light from the moon illuminating the space threw a tiny ventilation window in his cell. The silence finally drew his attention to his injuries that plastered all over his body, his chest, his neck, his back even his lips and cheeks. The pain exponentially magnified. The nausea from the alcohol makes things worst. A feeling surge upwards that he ran to the toilet bowl within the cell and threw up. The effect of drinking on an empty stomach, that is. He felt so horrible, both physically and mentally that he finally collapsed onto the cold, hard ground. He crossed his arms to fight the freezing cold and shut his mind from the hatred of his messed up life. He knew perfectly that he blamed no one else but himself. "It's all my fault" he repeatedly told himself, until his fatigue finally took over.

When he finally woke up, he could hear commotion from the outside. Mizuo's voice was piercing loud, deepening his splitting headache. The police escorted him out just as about the same time, and there at the receptionist table, he saw both Mizuo and Hiro. He knew then he was bailed out when the police came over to release him. He ignored them largely and stomped out, with Hiro and Mizuo behind. Only when they were out in the fresh air that Mizuo called out to Ryosuke, "Ryosuke, are you okay?" She ran to him and clutched both his arms. He stood like a woodblock, not answering, not reciprocating. She yearned for his mellow voice but to no avail. "Why didn't you call me. I'll do what I can to bail you out."

"Why should I?" She finally heard his voice but it wasn't pleasant. He was cold. 

"I am your girlfriend. It is naturally I'll be concerned. I should be the one by your side at all times" she rebutted. Hiro tried to suppress his anger, tolerating every bit of Ryosuke's disregard.

"
Ryosuke smirked, and that really put Hiro's tolerance to test. Ryosuke said with his consistent unbothered monotonous tone, "I don't need you nor your brother to be at my aid. I'll be punished for what I've done, there's no need for sympathy. Anyway, you're not someone who spends time sympathising anyway, so don't force yourself. No offence though." He spoke to Mizuo with his blunt words. As much as she was holding her breathe when he utter those words, it was her brother's reaction she was more afraid, the one who has always been disapproving of the relationship. She tried hard to end the conversation, by diverting to the root of the tension, "Ryosuke... You are drunk. Lets just bring you home~" She went to him and held him by his arms to stabilise his stumbling steps, but was violently shook away. "Can you stop being pretentious?!! You want me to be perfect because you don't wanna be embarrassed by me. You feel I'm a disgrace. You know what, it's perfectly okay to feel that way. Cause right now, I feel disgusted about myself. And FYI i am not perfect! So in case you feel that i was, then i suggest we just end it here."

mizuo was too stunned to speak. She knew their relationship wasn't well since her plotting of the confrontation with Mirai was uncovered. But she never knew the cold war would go to this extend. He was really angry, there's no denying. She once thought she was that one girl for her and that they will last together forever, she wasn't even sure if that's what he thinks anymore. In fact, as far as she knows, he hasn't raised even the slightest voice at his former girlfriends, she's the first.

"Yamada Ryosuke! You..." Hiro couldn't hold it in anymore. He pulled him by his collar and raised his fist, almost adding on to the numerous bruises on his face. Hiro was expecting a fistfight but Ryosuke instead laughed hysterically and commented, "you never approved of me anyway. But I'm not at all bothered at earning your approval. I don't care how you see me, cause that's who i am. A jerk~ but your sister loves me anyway. Right, Mizuo..." His sarcasm was a mockery to the siblings, especially infuriating Hiro as his sister didn't seem to be enlightened by his despicable words.

"ryosuke~ please..." Mizuo tried to follow him as he stumbled away from them.

"Just leave me alone!!" He shouted, then continued on as he wished, with Hiro and Ryosuke standing frozen behind.

By the time he is out of sight, Hiro took a glance at Mizuo to see her fist clenched. There were tears in her eyes, ironically he couldn't see beyond the tears. There was something that resembled sadness, but it didn't feel right too. Hiro had to ascertain one thing with her, just one, so he grabbed her sister unrelentingly back in the direction of their house, disregarding her struggle and profuse yelling and yanking.

In stark contrast, was the lone boy, stumbling across the street towards his apartment. He barely managed to open the door to his apartment and when he did, he went in and closed the door shut, in a state of relief and at the same time, entered a state of escapism. Yet ironically, he felt breathless, like the worldly pressure tumbling down on him. The voices of despise, ridicule, disrespectful remarks formed his imagination, a very much heavy imagination that led him to crash onto the ground. He wrenched his fingers where his gastric would be, and cringed in agony as a piercing sharp pain strike in waves. It was in such excruciating agony that he laid on the cold ground, breaking out in cold sweat. His head was pounding so hard, it felt like it was about to rip apart and his body ached horribly. Finally, his half opened eyes saw nothing but pitch black. 

*****
It was exactly a week and it is the highly anticipated event for the school annually. The seeing of the graduands in their graduation gowns were exhilarating already. Almost every student from all across the levels were gathered outside the auditorium where the graduands will finally receive their scroll, or in a more physiological description, a pass to the outside world. Well, for nearly half of them will proceed to university while another half will probably go straight to face the cruel working world. Chinen for one will definitely enroll for university, and it will more likely be Tokyo University. His all rounder capabilities will definitely land him a place in the reputable school. He was as usually surrounded by his batchmates and juniors, all congratulating him for being the top student in his cohort. And of course, there were those many girls who offered him a tie. It was a school tradition, for girls to present ties to the male grauduands and a scarf for the female graduands. There were so many for him to choose from, all fighting to make their offer. There was however just one which was not offered for his choice. That one was hiding behind the pillar, hesitating. He saw from the corner of his eyes, the traumatic deliberation the girl has to go through, and  even the worries she have were written all over her face. He chuckled then finally he dodged the crowd, leaving them behind with clear disappointment, especially the girls. The girl in question was so engrossed in her own thoughts, she did not see him approach. She definitely was not prepared for a surprise so warm and cuddly. He had hugged her from behind with his graduation gown wrapped over her sunken shoulders, almost like a mother bird wrapping her offspring  within  her widespread wings. 

She was shocked. Turning around, she realised it was him, the source of her biggest worries. "Chinen~What are you doing?"

"What do you think i am doing?" He , leaning his head on her shoulders and whispering in her ears. Proximity was one, never before seductive tone was almost a killer. She knew definitely that he had learnt it from the most casanova prince, Ryosuke. 

"Did Ryosuke teach you this?" She can't help but interrupted. He did look annoyed at first and when he released his grip, it felt like he was really angry. Then he grabbed her by her shoulders and said out of the blue, "yes, he taught me those, but there's something i always wanted to do." He took her hands and dragged her to where he was originally, amongst his friends and the girls who like him. She hid behind him, with her nervous grip of his hand tightened. His hand squeezed back a reassurance. Then he announced proudly, "minna. This is my girlfriend~ Umika Kawashima"

It's not a new fact for most of those present, but it was certainly a confirmation of Chinen's unwavering affection. They thought it was her who is persistent in this relationship, but it turned out to be a mutual affair. This inevitably disappoint his many crushes, but that's what Chinen intended to do, to give Umika the ease of mind that he is serious about her. The latter blush like a hot tomato, while averting the questioning gazes. His friends were first to erupt a wave of congratulatory wishes, and that resolved the tense air surrounding. Her hand loosened in obvious calmness. He was more than glad. He needed that alone time with her right now, cause there's so much he wanted to say. When he finally found an excuse to leave the clique, he walked her to a quieter spot in the crowded fields outside the auditorium. In view of the graduation ceremony starting soon, he didn't have much time to say what he wanted to be before the event, cause he wanted her to know she's most important.

However, it was her who started first. He could tell she has mustered all her courage cause for him to speak his own heart was difficult. Talking to a loved one and pouring out love language was the hurdle. But she did it in perfection.

"This is for you, Chinen." She handed with 2 hands, the turquoise tie. He was too touched by her gesture to speak.

"You don't like it?" Her hands retreated slightly but he stretched out his hands and held onto her. With deep, interlocking gazes, he said to her and her alone, "arigatou." He has an essay in his mind, but it was one only gesture it all translated into. He secures both hands on either side of her face, and leans forward for a kiss they hoped will last a lifetime. He takes her breathe and she takes his, every second was breathtaking. He was cautious but she yearned for more wildness. She wrapped her hands around his neck, and brought him closer, almost likened to telling him, it's okay. He definitely had unleashed that side of her entrapped for long. Their kiss deepened, just like the day did, and when they finally parted, they already miss each other. She gently helped him with her tie, then strolled hand-in-hand towards the entrance of the auditorium. "Where's Ryosuke?"

"I don't know. He was in a very bad shape though few days ago. He had high fever and apparently passed out at home. Luckily i went to his house to check it out, but he refused to go hospital. He and his hatred for hospital is incomprehensible. He should be here, but I'm not surprised if he's not though. He really can't be bothered about this. Let's not care about him. Don't make any arrangements later alright? I wanna celebrate with you and Mirai,  speaking of which, where is she?"

They looked at each other blanked cause the rest of the school is pretty much gathered here already and there was no sign of her at all. Like she vanished.

****

While the whole school was in a mood of celebratory, with poppers and wide smiles across all faces at the auditorium vicinity, she alone sat in the deserted remains of the school... In the quietest spot even during a normal day - the library. But today, it was particularly engulfed in eerie silence. She sat, on the ground, with her legs tugged to her chest and her head leaned on her bent knees, overlooking the window. It was this place she began talking to Ryosuke, so the memories of those time should have been most fond, but memories with him has largely been unhappy. Not for herself but she felt she has brought on unhappiness to him. In fact, for everyone else including her only 2 close friends. Everyone had to worry for her, even someone whom she just knew. She looked at her phone and reread the message she received from Hiro a few days back.

"Hi Mirai!

How are you? Hope you are feeling whole lot better. I'm not even doubting that you are back to your bubbly self. Don't feel stressed over my sudden message though, I'm just worried for my friend. 

Let's meet up when I am more free from work. See ya!

Hiro"

The message has made her smile and made her frown. Seeing her curse on the current slate of friends, she didn't wanna curse a kind guy like Hiro. She sighed as she stared at the tiny people far from where she is. She felt happy for the occasion, but that was as far as she felt. The only thing happened the past week, andu perhaps the biggest, was how she became more distant from beings, she rarely spoke, and when she did, she said redundant stuff. She even shunned away from her best friends, Chinen and Umika. She didnt want anyone to create any untrue rumours that will hurt the relationship between them three, more so for the couple. This was unknown to them however. 


In all darkness, a shadow closed in on her. A shadow in the dark was creepiest and she could feel his hair stand. There was more to where that fear come from. no one should be here when the whole school is at the auditorium, so whoever this is could potentially get her into big trouble, since unauthorised entry to the library is worth a whole package of detention. A teacher? No, it didn't seem so, especially when he spoke.

"What are you doing here?" He said as he emerged from the shadows, looking down at her with an unwavering gaze.

 

 

 

****