Chapter 13

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Ryosuke carried his handcarry luggage stuffed with what he felt worthy to bring along for his resettlement in United States. He realised there really isnt much about his life when he looked at the miser sized luggage. Whats more, carrying on him was a fresh bruise at the corner of his eyes that signalled the possible end of a friendship. He sighed and revealed a brief smile as he knew it was done out of a good cause. At least this parting gift will be beneficial to the couple who is stuck in the vicious cycle of insecurity and uncertainties. Mizuo tried to peek under those shades that covered the bruise, however he disallowed it cause he really did not feel like having to explain how he got it. Sat at the departure hall, awaiting to check in, was surprisingly a daunting affair. The anxiety in him grew as he waited to see if his guesses would turn out right. As time flew past by the minute, his hopes decreased. He didnt care if that anxious hope written over his face affected Mizuo. That was his least concern, and he was in no mood to entertain any others.

"Ryosuke!" He heard a girl called from a far, and he sprung up thinking who he thought she was. Unfortunately, it ended in disappointment when he saw "Umika~?" with Chinen trailing behind. The girl threw her weight over Ryosuke and gave him a very tight hug.

"Heh?" He was simply shocked. Firstly, the Umika he knew minimally was not brave enough to initiate such intimacy, especially not in front of his ex who is giving death glances from behind his back. Secondly, not with Chinen in sight. He was confused until she said by his ears, "arigatou". He chuckled, then lightly pat her head. He gripped her shoulders then look her in the eyes and said gently, "you understand right?"

She nodded, and they exchanged relieving smiles that spread to its surroundings. He recalled her fear, her nervous pounding heart the last he looked into her eyes. He was glad that now, she is all in smiles of happiness. His gift has worked. 

...
"Yamada-kun, i am surprised when I receive your call," he welcomed himself into Umika's home. He was distracted, looking around her house, not because he was new to it, but more of scanning the ground if there were others. Once he is done scanning, he saw Umika's confused face. He has not acknowledged her presence since he entered, and when he did, he said, "chinen is reaching in about 5 minutes"

"Oh." She said. He could tell she feigned that disinterest. As she turned around, edging towards the kitchen to get a cup of drink to play a good host to her guest, he disallowed her. It was like a thirsty beast unleashed, as he gripped her arm firmly then flung her onto the wall and trapped her within his stretched arms, leaving only few inches away from each other. He could tell from her timid personality that that she was desperately trying to escape. Her inexperience magnified the fear he inflicted upon her as he trapped her within his clutches. Even his glance was fixated on her eyes, unwavering. He leaves her no chance to calm down; he found the joy to and make her panic more than her heart could take. 

"You know you are quite pretty yourself. There's really no need for you to be jealous of anyone else. That girl, is really nothing compared to you," he whispered by her ears, tickling her in the process. She was listening, but too nervous to respond. Her breathing hastened so much it seemed as though she will experience a seizure. Her body stiffens and to make matters worst, his eyes was intimidating. The seductive suggestions was overwhelming that she feels herself burning from the heat flush on her cheeks.

"If Chinen cant treasure you, I can. I can pamper you, Umika...." He said it slightly louder this time. He also came closer, and closer, so close she not only felt his minty breathe brushed across her face, she felt his lips already right at her cheeks, perhaps less than a negligible milimeter away. She held her breathe, helplessly trying to push him away. 

Then, a punch from the side sent him flying a few steps back. Yet before he looked up to see the assailant, he was already laughing creepily.

"It's not funny, YAMADA RYOSUKE! She's my girlfriend, so respect the fact!" Chinen grabbed Umika to his side. The latter has not spoken as she was deep in her thoughts. Ryosuke knew what was in her mind was the final soft words whispered to  her ears. It remained vivid even after many seconds, and as he looked into her shakened eyes, he knew she understood what he conveyed, "as a gift, i'll show how much both of you love each other. Observe."

Ryosuke stood up while cleaning the blood from the sides of his lips. He has just recovered from the money lender attack, so little punches like this stings alittle. Umika pulled Chinen back as it seemed he would pounce on Ryosuke anytime. Furthermore, the latter was provocative when he said into Chinen's face, "are you feeling that unsecured over the love between the two of you? Do you get it now, Chinen, about the questions you asked me? If you still dont get it, then hate me as you wish. You wont see me for awhile. Sayonara" he did not hesitate when he chose to walk out. 

"Hold on, what do you mean i wont see you for awhile?! Where are you going?"

"United states. Leaving tomorrow," he never stopped for more questions. He walked off despite chinen's call for him. He knew Chinen wont run up to him until the petite sized one to consolidate his thoughts.

...
As Ryosuke would have thought, Chinen would find out his departure time and every other detail to locate him before the flight takes off. It would have been his classmates and common friends Chinen has found out from. He stared over her back and glanced at Chinen, and the latter walked closer. Ryosuke parted from Umika, looking at Chinen with deepening gaze, patiently awaiting for the cold war to cease.

"I hope it's not too late to ask for my best friend's forgiveness?" He said with a softer than normal voice. 

"What do you think?" Ryosuke didnt give a direct and immediate answer. He merely looked into Chinen's eyes, with somewhat confidence. Chinen knew Ryosuke was always very witty when it comes to human relations and managing people and feelings. It was expected of Ryosuke. His expressionless face suddenly break into a face of wide smile, "why wouldnt i, baka. We are forever friends right!" He pulled Chinen in for a buddy hug, where he heard the latter say a very sincere "thank you. I'll miss you"

"Dont be. In this day and age, we can always still communicate across borders." He replied while holding his dear friend firmly in his arms. Even bystanders like Umika and Mizuo were both touched by the brotherhood between the two. "But..." ryosuke suddenly pulled back and said, "i dont wanna hear of your relationship problems when we converse the next time. If i hear you bullying Umika, there's no guarantee what i did yesterday wont happen for real the next time"

"Ryosuke~" Chinen whined while Umika stood with her cheeks flushing red. As she averted Ryosuke's gaze, she was taken aback when he cling onto her neck and pulled her in, so closed to him, not to let history repeat itself so soon but rather to tell her something he didnt want Chinen to hear. Not that it's secret, but he wanted Chinen to feel anxious.

"Suzuka is really nothing compared to you. So you dont have to feel inferior. Chinen loves you very much too. But i must tell you first, suzuka is someone who is ruthless when it comes to love matters. If she is interested in Chinen, you better keep her away."

"H-how did you know?" She said with their faces almost stuck together, leaving Chinen pouting with curiosity and jealousy.

"She confessed to me before, in junior school, even though i already have a girlfriend then. She did quite alot to strain the relationship between me and my girlfriend, eventually headed for breakup. I could tell her ego when she started hanging out with me. Those days, i really cant be bothered with such complexity. So now you understand?" He whispered by her ears. She looked at him, in teary eyes which expressed her utmost gratitude for his candid sharing. Frankly, she knew she is not at all close to Ryosuke, yet he has been helping her with managing her first relationship more than anyone else. He chuckled then patted her head lightly, then chinen rejoined them and asked, "how long would you be gone?"

"Until my work is done. It wont be soon..."

"It's time, Ryosuke," Mizuo said from the side. She is getting increasingly irritated from the interactions and would not wait a minute more to see it develops, especially when she heard Umika mentioned the name she least wanted to hear. 

"Im sure Mirai will come and send you off. Will you wait for a while?" Umika requested. ryosuke stopped his movement and turned to look at Umika with a blank face that indicated as if it is necessary. Umika walked up to him, despite Chinen's intervention and said firmly, "mirai may be very different from your other girlfriends and to you, she may not stand a chance at all. But she has been a good friend to you and she really loves you. If you could stay to just say goodbye."

He hesitated as if in deep thoughts for almost a full minute, then reacted in a disappointing way that Umika did not expect, "She wont come. So it's not necessary for any delay. Bye minna" he returned to what he was doing, and this time Mizuo clinged onto him to make sure he will not make any unnecessary stops anymore. Ryosuke felt a strong feeling of emptiness, uneasiness, and he is already feeling that something is missing, and he is certain what it was. 

*****
Ryosuke POV

That voice I was fighting in my mind, rung so ever realistically. I cant just be a mere fragment of my imagination. I turned around one last time to locate the source who echoed my name so brightly. A frail girl with swollen eyes stood out from the passing crowd, in my line of sight. Despite how inferior she sees herself and how people saw her, this day, i could easily single her out. Both of us stood frozen, staring into each other's eyes albeit the proximity between us both. We saw each other clearly, almost as if there was only two of us in a shared common space. She made the first move towards me, it had always been this way since i first noticed her in the train. As she edged closer, i could see the tears still fresh on her cheeks. She has cried, and she probably has not stopped. Her heart became clear - it was bleeding, just like mine has started to.

She uttered my name again when she reached before me. Her voice was shaking, and i knew that instance she was trying not to cry. I want to hold her in my arms and tell her it's okay, but i fought back that urge and maintained my pokerface.

"You dont have to come. You need to rest, you dont look well"

Have i said something wrong, cause it would seem i have opened a watershed with her bursting abruptly into tears. 

"mirai?" 

Before I could even ask the reason, she cried out all that I have hoped to hear, "i love you! I wasnt truthful that day when i said you should pursue this opportunity. I cant bear you leaving. I never hoped you would like me, so being able to see you from the sides is good enough for me. I dont want to lose even this."

"Finally," i let out a relieving smile which i expected to see her confused. I brushed away those tears with my hands cupped on her cheeks and held her firmly so that she absorbed whatever i had to say. "I am sorry."

"Ryosuke..." She cleared .

"Shh.. Dont interrupt me. I am apologising not for the reason you guessed. I am sorry for not telling you..." I paused a while as i gazed into her teary eyes, "that i have fallen for you."

Her emotions was not hard to guess, she was literally petrified and lost that she didnt make any movements nor say anything. I was thankful she remained quiet cause i needed as much time to say what i had to, "I dont know when it happen or how it happen. It just did at one point that i feel happy just seeing you smile, and i feel sad when i see you down too. I yearned for your presence at times. I thought i probably was too reliant on you as a companion or someone i merely want to share my secrets too, but recently i realised it goes beyond that. I cant tell anyone else my secrets but you, because i want to trust you, i see you more than just a friend. I feel angry when i see you with Hiro, and that to me has become clear its jealousy. Sorry i took long to realise my own feelings and its funny how i always think i am a veteran when it comes to love, but this time, i performed really bad. You were much braver." When i saw her still shakened, i did what i wanted to, embrace her wholeheartedly. Her streams of tears had soaked my top in mere seconds. I consoled her, rubbing my hand on her back. It took minutes, but at least she managed to finally calm down, only to be disappointed again when she asked, "so can you stay?"

Frankly, i was afraid of that question, Even though i had prepared for it. i had to tell her the truth no matter how hurtful it will be.

"Sorry. I have to leave. It's contractual."

I thought i would turn on the tap of her eyes, but fortunately, she did not break down. It is hard on her for now, but i truly needed her composure cause time was running out. "Two years, if you are willing to wait for me. We can start over, the right way."

I saw her unconvinced look. I know it's difficult to believe my perseverance, given my track records. But i cant be more sure than now. Chinen and my other close friends would know that i can be very stubborn too when i know what i want, and this time, it is so. I retrieved from my pocket, something that may not be glamarous but it is significant in many folds.

"Ryosuke?" She was stunned by the time she saw that plain ring. She noticed the engravement on the underside, a letter R. I know she is experiencing a mix of complex emotions. While she still could not properly explain herself, i was sure what she had in mind. I held out my hand and she saw it immediately, the other Ring. I removed it and showed her, the letter M.

"You know what it stands for? Rings neednt only be legally binding proposal or marriage rings. When i prepared this, i meant it as a promise that I will return. If you feel tired of waiting, or found someone else you wanna date, then feel free to remove it from your fingers. When i see it missing from you, i will know you have moved on. Thats better than saying it out face-to-face or over the phone, right?"

She nodded subtly though it is hard to absorb. I perfectly understand that confusion in her, especially when everything seemed to happen so fast, even my confession of my feelings. I was shocked myself when i realised my own feelings. She would perhaps think i'll be the first to move on, i know how uneasy it is to be with me. Most of my former girlfriends must have felt that way too. Out of a strong urge, i cupped her face and leaned forward to seal a kiss on her lips. I tasted those lips of hers passionately. It requires effort to eventually pull myself away, and more importantly to bid my final goodbye.

"I know your worries. I wont be interested in Mizuo anymore. I never look back on what i have decided so it's not possible that i will be back with her again. I also keep my promises. So when i say 2 years, i mean it. I'll not waver when i set my mind to something. If you dont believe, ask Chinen."

"I believe," she rushed to answer me. Such a silly girl who is overly concerned about people's feelings. Precisely this sensitivity on things that drew me to her too.

I smiled and acknowledged her response and forgiveness, and added, "goodbye Mirai. See you in 2 years" i turned and moved towards to gantry, only to hear her soft, delicate farewell "bye Ryosuke."i tilted my head and took another quick glance at mirai, she wore the ring with her fist clenched tight, holding back her tears.likewise, i wore my ring, holding back my own cringe in the heart. Mirai is clearly the first to have me feel this way. Did i have a relighted hope for love, do i now believe in love? There's just something so kind about her that i cant take my eyes of her, constantly wanting to seek shelter in her comfort. I took a quick glance at her dragging her feet in the opposite direction. Her life is tough, and i could feel her pain. It was probably the likemindedness of us both, the plight of a wrong birth that brought us together? Her words to me, "you are the most beautiful thing that came to this world. I would want to thank you mother for that," remained such vividly in my heart. She loved me even though the filthy life of mine and my mother. She did not mind my promiscuity and my disregard for the very beauty of love which she believed strongly. I would bring hardship to you if i accept the way i am now. I want to be able to protect you. I couldnt tell you earlier, but i decided to leave this place for a good 2 years, so that i can love you better. I promise you Mirai, that i will return as a much stronger person,mentally and character wise, to become someone you can be proud of and can wholly protect you from rain and shine. I see her rejoined by Hiro, there my heart sank. I feel helpless at this point. I could only turn the other way, in hopes she'll still be waiting for me when i return. Frankly, i dont know the odds.

Why does it feel like a permanent goodbye. Till we meet again, Mirai-chan.
****

Hiro did not know how to react when he sees Mirai walking towards him. He did help her get to the airport, so he is definitely the prime mover for her meet with Ryosuke. It was for her happiness, he told himself. By then, he knew he was intoxicated by his love for her. Then the shine from her fingers struck him so hard, it felt like his heart will tear and bleed. The ring of trust, it must be that, he told himself. He bring himself together, careful not to reveal that immense sense of disappointment in order not to add on to her problems.

"Hiro..." She said with her head lowered so much he could not see her expression. He took a deep breathe then edged closer tp her. He cupped her face and lifted it so that he can see her clearly. It was no doubt swollen eyes, reddened nose, and probably there was an invisible imprint of his lips against hers. He brushed away the reminiscence of her tears. Albeit he really dont want to hear what had happened, he has to ask or there'll be no way he can retain his only position as her confidante. "What happened?"

He was glad she trusted him enough to share unreservedly, "he told me he love me too."

"That's good" he exclaimed with great pain. He mustered a smile, an extremely heavy one.

"But he still had to leave. He said he'll be back in 2 years, and asked me to wait for him." She said. He knew this was the most selfish idea from Ryosuke. To have someone he claims to love to wait for him for 2 years, it's really the most selfish instruction. A wait is already difficult, one that entails uncertainty especially with his promiscuous lifestyle in a new liberal environment, would make the wait too daunting to endure. Hiro looked into Mirai's eyes and saw how much tears she would shed, how much injuries she would sustain by the end of the 2 years. Hiro was certain she expects the rocky road ahead, yet even with the load on her shoulders, she is still thinking of an unimportant person like himself, uttering "thank you for accompanying me, Hiro"

"Don't worry about it, as long as you are okay, everything else is secondary. Anyway..." He gave a light pressure on her shoulders with a warm curl of his lips. An unsecured smile revealed on her face. That was good enough for him. A thought came up his mind, albeit it was selfish, he hoped he could change her heart by the end of the 2 years. Seeing the disappointment in Ryosuke's face, would be best. "Well, it's hard on the chap too. I am impressed by what he was willing to do for a mother who tramples upon him and disregard their kinship. Doing a job he resisted in his 18 years of his life, and signing for a binding 2 years contract away from his country, just to pay off the debt that was thrown to him" he thought to himself as he for a moment pitied Ryosuke. Nonetheless, it was every man for themselves. "Gomenasai, I won't give up. I wont let her shed another tear for you."

"Mirai, let me bring you somewhere to leave the heavy thoughts away, ne" he cheerfully exclaimed. He walked first, giving her no chance to reject his offer. He was confident of it, but for some reason, he did not hear her catching up with him. Did she not want to go out with him? Did he make her feel uncomfortable? Was it when he took her arms and wrapped it around his torso as he drove her on his friend's motorbike. He remembered how anxious her grip around him signalled, anxious only because she was afraid she wouldn't see the man of her love. He was jealous of Ryosuke being able to warrant such strong emotions from a girl. He could clearly feel the tears soaking his shirt when she leaned on his back during the ride. Every drop of the jewels from her eyes was heartbreaking. 

Did she not want to have even such neutral bodily reaction. He became a pessimist in this regard. The preconceived ideas led him to eventually turn around with a heavy heart, expecting to see her look of reluctance.

Yet he saw no traces of her. His heart dropped!

"MIRAI!!!!" he ran towards her, made his way through the crowd. He touched her face, giving it light touches, but she remained the way she was. He scooped her from the ground, unreactive. 

****
A short chapter, but hope you enjoy nonetheless. Please leave a comment as usual.