Chapter 15

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

The nausea has got really bad for Mirai as the weeks past since she knew about her condition. Mirai cuddled on the couch which has become has favourite spot in the much posh apartment that has became her new home. Frankly, this new environment is growing on her. It's bigger, brighter, unlike the cramp house, poorly illuminated. Moreover, there were no one bossing her around. Even though she was banned to do anything besides resting, she felt guilty to be living off another man without helping in the household chores. When he's out to work, she cleans the already neat house. To her, she can't believe that all three guys she know, were particularly clean and neat. Especially Ryosuke. Though she hasn't been to his house much, but the apartment was sparkling clean with everything placed in an orderly manner and the smell of the scented candles lingers in every corner. This house, on the other hand, is just as cosy, though not clean in its extreme as compared to Ryosuke. She fiddled with her phone, hoping for a call from the certain someone who has went on radio silence since the call the first night. How does it work, she thought. Should she make the call or be the one who waits for his. She chose the latter, she didn't want to disturb his work or be a nuisance. However sometimes the yearning becomes intense, and the bad thoughts become too hard to ignore. Just like how the images of a renowned ual magazine props up as the top search in Google. While it did not create much buzz in Japan, it had the American netizen falling for them. As Mirai shuts her eyes, the details of the photos reveal itself to her so clearly; the bare skins of the models brace against each other's, with the male above the female, both with little cloth covering only their private areas. She could almost feel Ryosuke's arms wind around her waist. His intense glance was filled with seduction as he looked into the lenses, while she yearned for his attention, craved for him. She laid down helplessly as he devour her, almost like a prey. His lips touches her neck and his free hand letting itself onto her protruding skin. It was images that was iconic to the art of seduction. It was pure , it was controversially the objectification of female. It wouldn't be well received in a conservative Japan, but they were obviously not its target audience. It achieved its aim, it won over the hearts the intended, and that was a major stepping stone for them in the U.S. Yet the image triggered the memory of that night in the library that left in her the seed of their love. If it did not resonate with the rest of Japan, it has on her, with her own thoughts running wild. It wasn't just those thoughts of jealousy but a big part of it was her own ism. A frown deeply tied a knot over brows, indicating her complexity of her love hate emotions mashed together. She knew her friends, especially Hiro has been looking out for her, keeping those images away from her, distracting her, but all efforts were futile. A routine search in the world wide web for his news has become a morning routine for her, although it is rare to find any, given how many models there are in America and models aren't really as prominent as celebrities even if you try justifying. 

The images came at a time when she had another major ramification that caused her world to further crumple. As she recalled what happened yesterday, tears began rolling down uncontrollably.

...
She would have expected this to happen sooner. The bulging tummy becomes evident as the weeks go by. By the first month, there were already gossips. Umika surrounds her everytime during their breaks and distracted away from her so no one would notice. Hiro suggested loose clothings which worked well, and advised her to appear like she is a glutton. Usually, it wouldn't be hard to achieve but recently her appetite was weird and erratic. The sight and smell of food was enough to make her throw up.

Umika is late today, so Mirai went ahead to get her lunch from the canteen before heading to the rooftop where they always gathered. She intended to wait for Umika there, however when she reached, she was greeted by not one but 5 girls from her class.

"Mirai mirai... Do you know what we think?" The leader of the pack, named Shiho remarked with her eyes staring right at her.

"Heh? I don't understand," Mirai tried to laugh it off while turning her back and heading towards the door. "I shall get going first. Have a great lunch."

"Wait, where do you think you are going? You haven't listened to what we have to say..." 2 of the girls proceeded to grabbed her by her uniform and brought her to Shiho.

"You have not been eating well, you're throwing up, and the baggy clothes. They are all to conceal your PREGNANCY." Shiho took her by her chin and exclaimed hysterically.

"who is the unfortunate boy?... It can't be Chinen senpai.it definitely can't be Suzuki Hiro-san! They're not blind. Tell me who?"

"It's not true... I'm not pregnant," Mirai defended, holding on the truth no matter how much she was choking under her grip. Apart from the mocking if she ever know the child belongs to Ryosuke, it would tarnish the name he tried to rebuild since the revelation of his family background throughout the school and the neighbourhood. Deep down, she hoped he will be around to protect her, just like when he did with the flasher. At the same time, she remembered how Hiro saved her from another gang when they confronted her at the drama club. His move was very manly, all in a bid to save the damsel in distress.

Unlike those two encounters, this time it was a female voice that rung from behind. "LEAVE HER ALONE!" 

Mirai was surprised to see Umika even more when she rushed towards her and one handedly pushed all the bullies away, freeing her from them and shoving her behind herself in all attempt to shield her. Umika has never done something like this. Everyone knows she is timid. Mirai was touched cause she knew Umika is forcing herself in order to protect her. 

"What! Are you like her guardian or somethings?!!! Admit it, she's pregnant! Even the blind could tell," the leader shouted back.

"When she said she's not, then she's not! Just leave her alone. It's none of your business!" Umika retaliated back, but she was not about to continue the scene. She took Mirai's hands and stormed out of the rooftop, while the girls try to comprehend Umika's sudden outburst.

"umika~" Mirai called out to her with a cracking voice while she continued to walk aimlessly in the school, dragging Mirai along. She felt really apologetic when she saw Umika trembling in the aftermath of the commotion, she truly wanted to express her gratitude, but the vice principal stood in their way, not too far from the rooftop.

"Sensei..." The two girls greeted, while the pack of girls arriving later followed suit in timidness. She looked at them sternly like she always do, but today, Mirai felt different when she looked into hers. The vice principal warned the pack to stay out of trouble, and they hurried off before she decides to punish them each with detention. Umika thought they two should disappear from her sight before she reprimands them too, so she gave a light bow then took Mirai's hand to leave the scene. 

"Wait. Shida Mirai" she exclaimed when they were attempting to flee. The two girls froze, especially when she said, "see me at my office now"

Umika panicked more than anyone else. She quickly responded, "sensei, Mirai didn't do anything wrong. The girls were bullying her."

"I know. Umika Kawashima, i still would like to speak to Mirai if you could just excuse us." She reasserted. Mirai then knew her nightmare is drawing closer. She sighed then reassured umika she is okay, before following the vice principal. 

Was she in there for 10 minutes, 20? Or even a whole 30 minutes? Whatever it is, it felt like it's forever. She couldn't remember the words spoken to her in that confined room cause it seemed her heart has died in the process. When she exited the room, umika was impatiently waiting outside. A strong urge came to hug her best friend as the load on her shoulders became so heavy to bear. Umika has courageously stood up for her and that gesture was never something Mirai expected from her. Her best friend indeed. Now she only wanted to rest in her arms, and that's exactly what she did. Both girls cried. Umika did not comprehend what happened within the closed doors, she patted and comforted her while telling her that even if the world comes crumbling down, she will be there for her. 

When Mirai finally calmed down, she retold the situation, "she saw through our act. I couldn't lie"

"Oh no. Then what did she say?"

"She said she has to dismiss me from school" Mirai's voice was cracking. 

"No! I'll explain to her! She'll understand!"

"Understand what Umika?! I'm the one who made the mistake. I can't let the school and everyone else belonging to it become the talk of the town."

"But...." Umika couldn't accept any of what her friend has accepted, "few more months you'll have our final examination, and we can all graduate together. Then we can all move on with careers. You'll be successful."

"Few more months, my child will be out.... There'll be more talks and examination Sensei has it thought out."

"What do you mean?" Umika couldn't comprehend and was impatient already.

"She told me that she will grant me the opportunity to take the examination, just not to attend lessons. I'll have to self-study. She tried her best," Mirai tried to make it sound possible. What She least expected was that help was readily available. 

"Mirai, I'll feed you with all the content from class. Though we are from different classes, our syllabus are the same. There shouldnt be any issue," Umika gleaned.

"I'm here to help too. I'll tutor you everyday, if necessary," along came Chinen who received Umika's worrying text message and overheard the whole ordeal. Mirai looked at Umika and Chinen in gratitude, then the latter added, "I understand that Ryosuke's textbooks are with you, if you can't understand his notes, which he most of the time didn't know what he was taking down, feel free to ask me or lend my notes instead."

"Don't forget about me..." Hiro propped up behind the trio. Mirai felt sorry for troubling him so much and was hesitant in troubling him more, however, he as usual was persistent. "I may not know schoolwork, but I'm a great study companion. I memorise hardfacts well too since i go through lots of scripting." Despite the rejection of his affection, Hiro did not act awkward around her, instead mirai was thankful that Hiro was able to put aside all the issues. He put his arms over her shoulder and treated her like she was nothing more than a very good friend. It was a great boost to her, and in that moment she felt she could possibly survive this 2 years.

...
They drank and chat all evening, and while they said they want to stay awake by the strike of 12 midnight, they weren't able to. Mirai looked at them, sound asleep. Chinen's head rest on the other sofa with Umika lying on it. Hiro sat on the ground, his head nested within his arms crossed on the coffeetable. It was a peaceful scene, enough to let a smile gleaned on her dull face. She found herself looking at the kind face of Hiro. "He is so kind. Why did kamisama send me not one, but two guys when normally kamisama would leave me alone." She can't help but wonder if it was Hiro she fell for first, her life wouldn't be in a topsy turvy state. The worthiness of her choice became so impossible to measure. The opportunity cost of giving up this angel, is possibly heavy. She saw his eye bags, her fingers helplessly went closer, almost the urge to his hair. "Are there any worries at work? Are you having stress at work?" She always wonder, but he's always giving never asking for anything in return. She withdraw her hand quickly when he jerked with his head facing the otherside. She strolled to the small balcony and shut the glass door separating them and her. She needed the space to relax alone, without burdening them with her pressure. They could always see through her and become concerned with her feelings, always thinking of ways to cheer her up or distract her with happy things. that has filled her with guilt.

"Much things has changed within the last few weeks, ne..." She looked into the sky and reflected upon the times which have past so hastily. The cold night seemed to be listening, yet rejected her so ever coldly when she tried to seek the simplest solace from it. She has forgotten how it is like to freeze as the night breeze stiffens her exposed face. Nothing could be more distracting than the pain that comes from within, instead of all other forms of suffering seemed merely an light abrasion of the skin surface, so trivial. The celebration of the little happiness in her otherwise disrupted life is all she looked forward to, "3...2...1..." Her watch showed the shorthand at 12. She would wish herself happy birthday if not for the untimely vibration of her phone she kept in her pockets. In much annoyance, she retrieved the phone, on the verge of ignoring whoever who ruined that moment of tranquility for her. It turned out, it was the same person who ruined that tranquility for her for not just a moment in time, but created a vacuum of uncertainty and insecurity for her life forward. Ignoring it was no longer a viable option. All of her was dying to pick up the call, to hear his voice. It was the very first words she heard through the device that instantly brought her back to reality and sent a warm air circulating her shivering body.

"Tanjoubi omedetou!" The voice was so excited, so bursting of energy and life. On the contrary, she didn't share that same excitement though it was her birthday. "I'm the first to wish you, right?"

The feelings in her heart was so overwhelming, it balled together and made her chest tightened in agony. Tears welled up her eyes as she hears his voice after that many weeks, and it simply wasn't his well wishes that mattered anymore. She had so much going on in her mind she wanted to say, yet when she finally heard from him, she couldn't speak any.

"mirai... You there? It's me Ryosuke... You haven't forgotten me, have you..." He confirmed after being greeted by silence.

"I..i'm here," she cleared and replied as if nothing has happened, and she answered the questions in her most natural state, "you're the first. But how did you know it was today?"

"You're important to me, so how can i not know. I have my ways..." He replied seriously, making those flowery words sound so convincing. Even with his laughter after.

"I was afraid you would be asleep by now. You haven't? Or have i just disrupted your beauty sleep?"

"You didn't. I haven't slept..." She answered honestly, then regretted faintly because she would be inviting more probing questions which could eventually reveal her thoughts so clearly. She took more caution not to let slip her secrets to the very observant character who reads her so ever accurately like she is an open book. 

"What are you doing at 12 midnight. Awake. And outside. Possibly in your backyard or something?"

She was almost certain Ryosuke was a magician. How could he have known this. She took a glance at her friends and concluded that it could not be any of them informing him, since they are all in their dreamlands.

"I am too excited to sleep so I thought i could count some stars..."

"Star gazing huh. I'm sorry i have to disturb that moment for you," he joked, turning somber almost right after. "Sorry it took me so long. I thought i should call, albeit really late, i need to hear that you're okay"

Did he already know of her condition, she thought. It will not be of any surprise if Chinen has divulged the whole incident to him. Cold sweat was forming, limbs trembling for fear not for temperature. 

"How... Did you know everything?"

"It isn't difficult to expect." He explained. "From your solemn voice, was the biggest indication."

"Ryosuke, I don't wanna burden..." 

"I took those photos in my own accord. No one forced me. You should be disappointed in me. I shouldn't even be whining."

Mirai realised by now that they were on different grounds at conversation. She remained silent so she wouldn't give away any unnecessary information he needn't need to know at this point.

"Haruna and I can only count on each other there. I'm not about to see her get touched by those foreign models. I will watch over her the same she does for me. That's about all, it's nothing of love, merely friendship and ties. I thought i need to explain but i really don't know how to tell it to you without hurting you. It's not usually my style to beat around the bush, but for you, much thoughts went through, i don't want to be the same as i am to other girls. That's why it took long for me to call you. You forgive me?"

Mirai was both touched and saddened how he is burdened by her even without her efforts.  "I never blamed you. It's your job afterall" There was a loud sigh from his side, followed by a long extended silence. She could only hear the heavy breathing and wondered why.

"Ryosuke? You there?"

"Umph," that's all he said then only about a whole minute, he began talking again as if all these time, he had been thinking deeply. "Are you not even a little upset about it? You're that magnanimous, or you just don't think I'm not that worth stressing out over"

While she was trying to think for him, she has committed the most insensitive deed by insulting him unintentionally. She did not realise her words come across as disinterested, and it didn't occur to her that what she said would matter that much. It was a fuzzy emotion rather than a fearful one. She explained, "it's not that Ryosuke. I don't want to quibble with you over something that you would be irritated with. I dont want you to think I'm stingy and childish. It's impression i don't want to ruin." He sighed again, this time it was lighter.    

"So you are a little sad when you saw it..."

"It would be impossible I'm not. In fact, i was angry. That's too much skinship. I don't wanna..."

"Don't wanna what?" 

"I don't wanna share my boyfriend with anyone. Frankly, that's how i feel."

She expected his annoyed voice, definitely not the chuckle she is now hearing. 

"That's much normal. I worried that I wasn't at all that important to you to warrant even that little pout of jealousy."

"You're not short of that from the girls you dated before right?" She pouted then.

"I'm not, so i thought for once I'm the one pouting. You won. I want more attention from you"

She chuckled, heartily. She thought she has forgotten how to smile, let alone laugh. Turn out, it very much depends on the circumstance. In the darkest of time, she could still find that little happiness.

"Anyway, Mirai, if you are upset, just tell me. Don't have to keep it to yourself. I'll tell you when I'm irritated, but just don't assume. I want my girlfriend to be able to show jealousy once in a while. I don't like it when I'm kept in the dark when you go through unhappy moments." 

Mirai held her breathe when it came to keeping secret. She could almost imagine his anger when he come back to see her holding on to the little hand of his child he never know existed until then. She tried to change the topic, to ease her feelings of guilt. "What are you doing now? Working?"

"I came studio earlier today so i could have a bit of time to chat with you. It's still early so we can take our time, ne."

"Had your breakfast? It is really very early there."

"The sun just rose," he laughed, "i am sitting in a open balcony in the recreational area. in front of me is a croissant and iced americano"

"Drinking cold drinks in the morning, isn't it gonna get you a bad tummy?"

He chuckled and she became conscious that she has spoken something nerdish.

"I haven't had a mum or dad nagging at me, so you're kinda the first girlfriend who nags at me."

"Sorry."

"No no. I feel good actually. I never had anyone caring for me. I will need more of that when i get back to Japan. Maybe waking up to a hot pancake with hot milk for breakfast prepared by my cute girlfriend. That'll be something i look forward to, Mirai"

He always had that ability to catch her off guard, making her blush uncontrollably with his sweet words. She began imagining that scene he spoke, and more. He wrapping his firm arms around her small body as she engross herself in cooking up the tasty breakfast filled with love. His minty fresh breathe would trigger her nose and she would hold on to his face and give him a light peck on his cheeks as a way of saying good morning. He disrupted her imagination for something even much more irresistible.

"Anything is better than you sitting somewhere with the freezing night breeze. Where the heck are you?" He nagged, much more uptight then she was, like a veteran nagger. She was surprised, tickled, and was definitely loving it.

"How did you know? I am sitting in a balcony too."

"The Tokyo wind is quite audible through the phone too. If you are not wearing a sweater, then i insist you go back in to get one right now." 

She hasn't realised her fingers, her earlobes are already frozen. She really didn't know to take care of herself, and someone on the other side of world knows her better than she herself. "I am" she lied, partly because she didn't want to interrupt the conversation she is enjoying so deeply. It was that connection she don't want to break.

"It's summer where i am, but at night it's all chilly and i would walk on the streets with your knitted scarf," he boasted.

"I will too, with yours," she replied.

"Mine? Anyway, Mirai, we are both watching the skies, that is not obviously the same one but one is in light blue with fluffy clouds and the other in the dark with stars hung high and moon shimmering. It's quite magical isn't it, the mysteries of the universe."

"My sentiments. What's even more cooler is that they seemed to understand you so much, and they are always there to listen to you."

"That sounds depressing. It's very much true for me for 18 years of my life. Now that I'm turning 19, I'm glad i don't have to rely on it anymore."

"Why?"

"It's actually very lonely, the sky listens but never responds. I rather talk to you."

"Did something stressful happened at work?"

" did i sound troubled?"

"A little."

"I'm bad at concealing to you"

"No, it's just me being more observant."

"Right~ well, I didn't quite like some of the tasks assigned. You're clearly right when you said I won't be happy in my current job. That's why some of them were particularly daunting. For instance, this controversial one which is perfectly fine for the readers there. I didn't have much choice, and i expect more conflicts down my 2 years."

"They weren't happy with you? Your bosses."

"They could sense my unwillingness to cooperate. I have my ideas too, I'm not gonna just follow whatever thrown to me. It's just not me. I really don't want to be someone i am not, but it's my decision to anyway, so I'm gonna it up and live through it."

"It'll be fine, Ryosuke. 1.5 years more, you'll be free, and you can do whatever you want. Maybe try the bank again."

"I would, if they don't discriminate my background."

"They won't. Give our society a chance. They know it's not something you can control."

"You're optimistic. I shan't think of our society as anything less forgiving if you say so," he acceded. The chat stretched almost an hour, and it was undeniably the best hour that they became lost in perceptions of time.

"Wow, we have talked so long. Ryosuke, don't you have to go work by now?"

"Yea. But i really don't feel like. Let's chat till night time," he suggested.

"You've to go, Ryosuke. I would love to chat longer but I don't want you to be reprimanded."

"Yes, mummy. I'll go now then," he teased. She didn't quite like the reference to a naggy woman. Then he manages so well with the negative analogy "I'll call you just before my day ends. I want to spend your last hour of birthday together."

"Honto?"

"Yes. Be there when i call. Enjoy your day, i need to get going. Bye" he said with a cheerful tone which was quite pleasing to Mirai knowing that he's facing reality bravely. Though actually, he has always been the braver one, just not as much as he wants people to think he is. He did sound a bit bossy, but she didn't mind it at all. It made her feel wanted. 

For some reason, the cold night didn't feel cold anymore. The sweetness of the conversation has kept her warm, it was really surprising the power of love. it was however not from Ryosuke's words, but from the one-sided love of another. The blanket was pulled over her back, cosily wrapping her up in a cocoon. She was not a least bit surprise it was Hiro. 

"It was a happy conversation. I'm glad he made you laugh," he said as he looked into the sky. Her eyes was fixated on him, realising his side profile is just as mesmerising, especially under the twilight.

"You heard?"

"It wasn't deliberate and I didn't catch it all. I only heard the moments you freely laughed and possibly when there was social anxiety from you"

"Social anxiety? I wasn't..."

"No need to hide from me. It's possibly because you feel too inferior of yourself. You have attracted 2 guys so i just don't get why you have to feel that way. The day you cure your inferior complex, you will not experience that social anxiety. And no offence, but your boyfriend should make you feel easy being yourself and not have to consciously think about projecting an ideal side of someone you are not. He seemed to be himself when he's with you, you on the other hand are clearly distancing yourself, too careful in your interactions."

"I guess you are right..." She admitted, though something else struck her that instance. 

"I didn't feel that anxious with you though," she said openly.

"Deep down, you like me. That's why"

She gasped at his very direct remarks. Seeing her all flustered, he burst into a light laughter. Goal achieved, it seemed he was saying just that.

"There is another reason for that. It's friendship. You saw me as a close friend like Chinen and Umika, that's why there's no social anxiety. Whereas for Ryosuke, you wanted him to see the best of you. It's not gonna be stressful unless you make it that way. So trust me, relax, he's gonna like you anyway, and if he doesn't, whatever you do, he'll still leave you. The latter only proves he's not deserving of your love. Those other ex-girlfriends probably understand that already, except my sister."

"Sorry about her..."

"Nah. Don't fret over it. Love comes and go. I'm only surprise how serious she was for him, that's a passionate side of her I've not seen."

"Hiro... Will you ever be able to befriend Ryosuke?" She earnestly ask.

"Probably. He's a mystery. Such a playboy but his love did impact you and Mizuo for both of you to give so much more in return. Ja, i think you should go to sleep now. Tomorrow, you're the princess and it's not good if you have an eyebag or a tired face." He stretched out his hand and pulled her off the seat. He pushed her lightly from behind with his hands placed securely on her shoulders.

"Princess?"

"Yeah. Birthday girls are all princesses. Since Ryosuke is not around, i have my chance."

"Heh?" She was shocked by how frank he was with his feelings. Then she didn't know how to react, but blush by the love he is showering her. He made sure she goes to bed, tugged her nicely under the blanket. before he switched off the lights for her, she said softly, "Hiro."

"Ne? If you are gonna say sorry, I'm not accepting it."

"Thank you... For everything."

"Oyasumi," was all he said with a warm smile.

*****

Ryosuke went on his day as usual, starting off with a pretty lighthearted mood which went downhill with the weather. He didn't have the same schedule as Mizuo this day, yet it felt like she was breathing through his neck. Every breaktime he had, he would see his phone flooded with her messages and missed calls, all for frivalous reasons. In annoyance, he finally returned the call.

"what do you want? i thought i told you to settle your own lunch and dinner," He exclaimed.

"you still need to eat ne. wherever you want, i am okay. let's just have our meals together, shall we?"

"no, i told you no."

"are you still angry with me? because I made you take those photoshoots and upset Mirai?"

He sighed, trying his best not to erupt in anger. He took a deep breather then said firmly, "we really don't have to spend all the time together. i need some time alone, please."

"you have other girls is it?"

"are you crazy?! even if i did, it has nothing to do with you. SO leave me alone!" partly it was those people who bossed him around today that made him really angsty, partly he couldn't tolerate her nonsense. Her possessiveness has gotten, almost as if being together in the foreign land has made her delusional. It did occur to him that she was drunk. She was acting all weird recently and she was indeed getting on his nerves. He hopes this time, he gets his point across and not have to let such nasty experience happens again. Things did look optimistic cause he did not hear from her in the next hours.

yet his mood did not get any better. Instead it got worst, much worst. The sky was no longer the scenic one he and Mirai were looking at earlier, the sky on his side has become so dark in what supposed was broad daylight. Dark clouds, not the normal ones, and strong winds blew. The rain was so terrible, coupled with thunder and lightning which flashed in a high frequency. He peeked out from the building and he could see how umbrellas are flipping upside down, nothing seemed to be able to shelter people from the rain. He walked towards the reception table, and he saw the receptionist captivated on her computer screen. He tapped the desk and brought her attention to him.

"what's happening outside?" he asked in japanese. She didnt seem to understand the language, but she didn't need to explain anymore when he saw what she was staring.. A large tornado is approaching. There was only one thing in his mind he needs to know. Asking her would be of a waste of time, so he dashed back to the studio where fortunately his coordinator was still around.

"Maika-chan!" he startled the girl in distraught. The lady is petite, almost half a head shorter than Ryosuke, and she is of the same age as Ryosuke, studying international relations. She has a long black hair and wore a black rim specs. She never dared to look into his eyes, very much shy most of the times. Ryosuke was sure she has a thing for him, but was not at all interested. He has too much girl problems to deal with already. With her mastery of both english and japanese language, she is the only person he could turn to in depserate times.

"Yamada-san..."

"is this district safe from the tornado?" he anxiously took her shoulders and shook her nervously, so apparent that his emotions are overflowing.

"It should be, as long as you are indoors. the warning is set quite high. you should go back to your hotel now, Yamada-san. seal the windows with ducktapes in case any flying objects burst through the glass. also keep away from the window as possible. if there is any evacuation order, the hotel will let you know."

"Mizuo, she's back in the hotel?"

"the last i check, she was."

"okay, is the company car key with you?"

"yes," she searched for it in her pocket and once she retrieved it, he took it from her hands.

"heh?"

"i'll borrow the car. I have license so don't worry," he dashed off, except he turned back almost a split second later. He grabbed Maika's hand and pulled her along.

"Yamada-san?! where are you bringing me?"

"i should be asking you. you should go home too." he speedwalked with her trying desperately to catch up with her short legs. He didn't continue debating with her, rushing towards the mercedez

"i haven't finish my work"

"you're my coordinator, right. so indirectly, I'm your boss. I'm ordering you to go home right now. Your brother is at home? Daiki, am I right?" he was still panting as he drove through the heavy rain. He felt like his mind is in a mess, and he did not know why. Earthquakes of differing magnitudes, he had been through alone, why is he fearing over a tornado which isn't gonna be life-threatening to this district. There is only one possibility. The one who could cause such fear in him, wasn't himself but her. Those images of her scares him, and he didn't dare think what she could be doing now. Maika saw his anxiety. She didn't know how she can help. except talk to him  

"yes, Daiki. You remember that so well. Yamada-san... i only introduced once."

"yes. it's social skills. Very important for this line of work." It seemed he got her intentions immediately, making her realise her acting skills must have been unbelievably bad. "thanks for distracting me. Maika. If i scared you earlier, sorry."

"it's okay. You're worried for Suzuki-san..."

"she is more vunerable than you think. She has been rude and demanding to you, I'm sorry" 

"It's okay, Yamada-san"

"just call me Ryosuke, like the rest. There's alot I need your help in during this period. here, take care. see you when the weather returns to normal" he said with a smile which seemed a little force but sincere nonetheless. Maika watched as his car race through the thunderstorm.

"Maika, stop looking... get inside right now," a guy dashed out of the apartment and pulled the petite girl back in to safety.

*****

Mirai was awakened by the aroma that diffused throughout the apartment. She washed up, thinking that the aroma will be gone by then. She thought it had been their neighbours cooking. Yet when she finally stepped out from bath and down to the kitchen, she realised the smell was from none other than within the four walls. She lightened her steps so as not to alert the chef. Donning a pair of jeans and a white working top with his long sleeves folded midlength, Hiro stood by the stove, patiently waiting for the pancake to fluff up. She found it particularly therapeutic to just watch him. This image of him was undeniably y. any girl would fall for him.

In a house of white, the man of the house cooking up her breakfast, donned in exactly the same as what Hiro was wearing. He would serve her the food, and sit opposite her, looking at her eat up in delight. She imagined looking into the eyes of the man, whose bangs fall so nicely across his forehead and his eyes so purely set behind the black spectacles he would wear every morning to relief the tired eyes strained during the day. The boy-next-door appearance made him so soothing to the eyes, so pure, so loveable. She saw those pearl-like eyes, the darkened brows and the long lashes lining the beautiful gaze, those kissable lips and the chubby cheeks. Disappointed she is, when she realised it was all facades created by her desire and her yearning for Ryosuke, that grew eveen stronger after last night's call.

There, sat in front of her, was Hiro, charming in his own way. His dependable vibe made anyone around feel safe and secured, his smile could brighten any gloomy days and miraculously assure her that everything will be fine. it was only guilt that stood in between, making it hard for her to fully enjoy and appreciate that beauty of him.

"my honorouble princess..." he greeted. She laughed while shyly rejecting that salutation. He ignored nevetheless and proceeded as he wished, "please eat it while it's pipping hot. I have added some yoghurt. It should curb your nausea" When he mentioned it, it became apparent that she didn't feel the usual morning pregnancy discomfort which turns away her appetite. On the contrary, she is eating well, alittle too well cause she finished it so fast, it would seem as though she gobbled it all up. The warm milk he prepared was so delicious, she drank it all in one breathe. She did not care her image then, she only focused on the delicious food. Only when she finsished every bit on the table, she noticed Hiro looking at her with satisfaction.

"Hiro~"

"I know, it's delicious," he proudly replied before she could even ask. He stood up and handed her 2 handwritten letters, "here i present you, your royal highness with 2 letters from your best subjects" This role play was tickling her, but it seemed Hiro was bend on the storyline so she just played along. It became addictive cause rarely, or almost no chance, that she will be served by a handsome servant boy or be even called a princess and treated like one. She took the letters from his hand and would have guessed the subjects meant Chinen and Umika.

She has no patience to open the letters delicately so she ripped it apart and read it in one breathe, their well-wishes and their promise to celebrate with her once school ends for the both of them. Hiro didn't give her time to daze into space. He greeted again, this time, with his main intentions "royal highness, would you entrust your life to me today. I will make this an unforgettable birthday, on behalf of the crown prince."

it is obvious, the crown prince here meant Ryosuke. She realised he has meant for his own role as a substitute, that made her sorry. It wasn't however the guilt that led her to accept his offer. it's true that no one would have the heart to turn down such a kind person, but what eventually led her to agree was that she actually wanted to go with him. She knew it would be fun, because that's how a person Hiro is, he makes everything around him less stressful, more cheerful. She needed that escapism, even if carrying the increasing bulging tummy was burdensome. she really wanted to take a break from the social conformity, away from civilisation.

****

The sky, the one and only sky that appeared so different when viewed in different parts of the wall, overlooked their different destinie; One engulfed in an impending storm of both anxiety, fear where the past and present entwined together in complexity; and another in a dreamland filled with blossoming flowers in the midst of a nightmare. The many souls tangle together in bittersweetness, and one thing for sure, their lives lie in the decisions they make for themselves.