Chapter 17

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Mirai sprung from the unfamiliar bed as soon as her consciousness caught the intriguing medicinal scent. It was not just the bed that was strange, it was also the surroundings, all except the 2 figures. They were however not the people she desperately needed to see now.

"Hiro~ is he okay? Where is he?" She spoke in a single breathe, so urgently that listeners became anxious too.

"Chill~chill Mirai... He's okay" chinen responded. In the poor lighted room, it was hard for her to see his expression to decipher truth from white lies. 

"There's so much blood. How can he be okay?"

"Really Mirai. He's fine. The doctor did many stitches to his wound, he twisted one or two of the bones in his arm, and he probably has had abrasions all over his body, but none of which are really life threatening and thats about all," Umika added.

Chinen pondered aloud, "On the other hand, you were completely unharmed, except incurred abit of a shock which is completely of the norm. How is it possible~" tears welled up in Mirai eyes as images of what had happened remained fresh in her mind. Every detail of how he used his entire body to keep her out of harm's way. 

"Where is he now?" She said urgently, then dashed out as soon as they indicated. The two did not try to hold her back, cause they thought both needed time to reconcile what happened.

Once she was at the half opened door to his single ward, she stopped on her feet. It wasnt a good time, but her curiosity made her stay. It did make her understand him a lot better.

...
"Cant you be a least bit concerned?!!! Im your son, not a stranger. No, even a stranger would also ask whether i am okay," Hiro vented on his laptop which Mirai could see only 2 figures on its display. His parents? She thought, as they seemed middle age. On closer look, she saw that the two were well maintained. Rather young parents, and definitely lead a beyond normal life. 

"You are a public figure, naturally people will send well-wishes. As long as you are okay, your face is okay, that'll be good. Our point is we called, so dont be a baby"

"You guys are unbelievable. Forget it alright. Come back only when i die." hiro said in a tone filled with both disgust and disappointment before he disconnect from his webcam. Mirai, for once, felt like she could actually understand his side of story now. It didnt seem so apparent previously because he was always smiling. His parents' ignorance, careless words and disregard reminded her of her own side of story, which didn't feel like it on second thoughts. Difference was, her family was deliberate, his was simply careless. This child of theirs was so lovely to others, yet there isnt one to provide him the same warmth as he did for others. He pounded on the bed where he was sitting on, repeatedly in frustration, until mirai began to be worried about the fate of his knuckles, that she finally intervened.

She cleared , walking through the creaking door into the ward with baby steps. All there was is 4 walls, a bed and equipment. He heard her since there was literally nothing else which could have distracted him. Upon noticing her, he turned in a split second to do what seemed like cleaning his eyes. Mirai was ascertained that was the precious pearls that has helplessly fallen from his eyes. She pretended not to have seen it, it's his dignity at stake after all. Ryosuke would have been particular about it, Hiro on the other hand was unpredictable.

"You saw it, didnt you?" He asked with conscious eyes. Mirai thought the question had two meanings, seeing his heated conversation with his parents, or seeing his tears. Seeing a conversation wouldnt have made sense, so she figured it might be the latter. 

She didnt outrightly provide an answer, the truth is, he knew she saw so that makes all answers unnecessary. Instead she thought support of a friend would be what she could give. He has given away too much. "Hiro, sorry, i caused serious injuries on you" She sat on a seat by his bedside.

"Mirai, can i request you dont say the word sorry or thank you on me anymore. Even if you loved these words, i dont at all."

"Why?"

"It makes me feel so distant. It makes us feel like we are no better than strangers on the street. Friends aint so polite to each other and such words are meant unspoken between genuine friends"

Mirai was impressed but not surprised by the profound thinking of Hiro who is not far older than she is. 

"I'll speak to Mizuo if i can even reach her. I am not gonna defend Ryosuke, but to reasonably evaluate this, it could be a misunderstanding. Besides he didnt verify it himself. He may have lots of girlfriends and though he has dated my sister, not once is he accused of infidelity to a relationship. He is direct and certain in that sense"

Mirai nodded. "Does it hurt still?"

"A little. It's worth that few added points for me in your heart right?" He exclaimed cheekily, shedding off that initial depression. Mirai laughed along and lightly gave a light punch on his shoulders which he pretended to hurt. 

"Actually, i didnt really have to get upset over it. Even if he did sleep with Mizuo, i dont have the concrete rights to demand a clarification."

Hiro looked blank at what she said. It was overly tolerant and compassionate that he was about to knock some sense into her. Love rivalry is common and there definitely has no room for sharing and caring. That's what he wanted to preach to her, educate her the innocence in her. 

But she clarified right after before he has got the time to say anything, "he said we would start when he returns 2 years later and that if I'm still available. I conveniently forget this piece of information and in my delusion, i possessed him as my boyfriend already. Honestly, in this 2 years, he has all the freedom to start a relationship. He didnt have to consider my feelings."

"It doesnt feel like he think that way? He was very patient towards you on the phone, he didnt even sound that patient with my sister when they were together"

"You heard?"

"Yes... When he was first to wish you happy birthday, i thought i would be first. He actually made that extra effort. Thats why, this 2 years hiatus, may not be what he intended for this relationship. You dont have to be discouraged. Go all out and let him know from this moment, he's yours"

Mirai blushed badly. The sentence, "he's yours" sound so foreign to her, so unusual. 

"Frankly Mirai, instead of guessing what happened in his sleep, you could just ask him directly. He is the kind who will say it to you directly, without having a concern to the girls. He is brutally honest and disrespectful nonetheless. On the bright side, he only speaks of the truth."

Mirai remained quiet, with a subtle smile on her face. Hiro knew she is deliberating and that is good enough for him to see her not retreating but fighting for her own fate. He raised his arm and laid his hand on her head, giving it a ruffle as though patting a little puppy, while saying, "relax, you're worrying too much. If things doesnt go your way, which never does for most people anyway, just lean back on those people who cares for you, then take a deep breathe, gather energy, and go full force ahead again."

****
Right outside the door, Umika and Chinen peeked, with a face filled with relief. Chinen observed silent Umika as they strolled out of the hospital, heading home. He didnt see the guilt, nor the perplexed expression before. It was almost like she has grown to accept that what Mirai has hoped for may not be the best for her.

"You now get why i opposed so strongly, right?" Chinen couldnt help but broke the silence. He was more curious of what led to the change in Umika's conviction. In that twinkling sky with no other sound, than merely crickets, the couple consulted each other's conflicting hearts. There are occasions where following ones dreams will get you battered, destroyed along the way, and it is still worth the risk cause you know the end is more than just happiness. But then there lies the other side of the coin, where following your heart desires, doesnt yield the best results. It will nonetheless destroy you, and at the end, its far from happiness. It's sorrows. Family, friends are there to support your decisions, mostly because they know the outcome would be good to you. If they know the outcome is not, they find themselves stuck between the crossroads, where a middleground between unconditional support and dissuasion is not easily negotiated. Chinen could see Umika in the exact situation, unable to reason how a friend should react.

"I genuinely feel happy when Ryosuke finally noticed her, and when he didnt refuse her or ridicule her the way others did, i was almost certain that something good is finally happening to her. It makes up for all the unfortunate stuff that goes with her. I must admit that i did not expect to see the two of them click so well, neither did i expect things to progress so fast. I most certainly did not think it will spin out of control, especially you know, her pregnancy. I really dont know to think if sempai has hurt her and will it only get worst. I honestly think the bad things are coming back, stronger than ever"

"Im not gonna tell you again that i said so. However, i never thought Ryosuke would do that to her actually. He did seem serious about her."

"Chinen, i feel terrible. Cause when i see how Hiro treats her so well even though they just became friends. despite being rejected, he never stop protecting her. If mirai was with him instead, i know she'll be much more fortunate. Now her life is undeniably heading towards a mess. Pregnancy before marriage, got chased out of her house, though it's not like she was treated properly at first, then now dismissed from school... We can do all we can to help her, but it's her life after all. We saw her cry secretly too, didnt we"

"That belief she is holding on, is what makes her smile too. We wont know how long this will last, but lets just let nature takes its course. Alright?" Chinen clinged over her neck, pulling her close. She thought she would have gotten used to his temperature, but when she felt the warmth radiating from his chest, her face inevitably blushed. "Ryosuke's methods always makes girls smile"

"You're horrible, Chinen" she smacked him lightly on his face within reach, but he did not budge, instead closer. He sneaked a kiss upon her cheeks, catching her off guard. She would have been so embarrassed that she got herself away from his arms. However, that failed, when he added, "That's me". Chinen, the new casanova or in Umika's eyes, the sweet lover. 

"On another note, Chinen, Mirai was saying that she'll make us her child's god parents. I thought that's a good idea, especially since Mirai's family has thrown her out to raise the kid by herself. We can shower the kid with love, and she will most certainly love it."

"You secretly want one yourself dont you? It's a outright hint that i should work on it now," Chinen said so casually that he did pissed her off a little, partly because she didn't expect him to read that naughty or perhaps a little dirtier side of her. She pouted, then he stretched his hand to pinched her lightly.

"I'm kidding. Of course, it's great that we can be her child's godparents. This father of the kid, will get so much flak from the godfather if he doesn't take care of the kid."

"I'm not sure about you though."

"What do you mean?"

"I heard, you are always depending on Ryosuke for many things. You're needy. So he will be a dependable and protective father alright, but you, im not that sure..."

"Umika Kawashima, you... Come over here" he tried to get back at her, tackle her, but she got away fast. They chased each other, and the air quickly becomes filled with their vitality, radiance and momentary happiness. 

In all darkness, there's light. it's always up to the individual to find the source, which could just be right in front of your eyes. We tend to be blind to such brilliance as we absentmindedly pursued our dreams, ended up subjecting ourselves when it could have been always within your reach. Happiness is indeed a test of one's mental intelligence to see beyond what its mind wants to see and what its hearts desire.

***

"Dear, are we really not gonna check out mirai?" Mirai's father spoke with a troubled look on her face. He was in a dilemma though it was unnecessary since he couldn't defy his wife's instructions. Her decision was set and her assertion was strong. "She has herself to blame when she decided to impregnate herself. She'll have to learn to take care of herself from now. This is how she'll pick up from her own mistakes. Besides, there's no way we can absorb the new liability, we can barely support her already."

"I get it, but i just find that maybe we are being too heartless" her father reflected.

 "No parents are heartless. What we are doing now is for her to learn. Every decision made, there'll be a cost, and to support her own child is that cost. If she ever come to us in her most desperate situation, we can then see how we can help passively."

"I guess that'll do for now. By the way, why did Mai call us here? It's a posh restaurant that neither of us can afford " the woman always tend to be the observant one. The man on the other happen, appeared lost and ignorant. Just as about then, Mai walked in with a man, fully suited up. Her arms wring around his and they walked in side by side, rather intimately.

"Okasan, otousan" she walked up to them and call out, in not her usual politeness. Her maiden attempt to be demure, did take them by surprise. But, it's not as much as a surprise than what she was about to say, "meet my fiancé, Yamaa Kimura." He greeted, he did, except it seemed alittle effortless. Mai knew what her parents had in mind, so when Kimura was making his order at the counter, apparently quite a feast he was ordering, Mai bent to her mother and whispered, "he's an American borned Japanese." Her parents could now account for his liberal behaviour that puts behind formalities and traditions. He is the icon of new age. It was anxious just interacting with him, cause they wanted to create the best of levelled impression. The conversations became constrained, every statement went through levels of censorship. While that tensed air did not dissipate, both adults were glad to see their eldest finally grown up and soon to be married off. Even more a cause for celebration since her partner was none other than one who could bring more fortune to their lives. 

Albeit daunting, the elderly smiled throughout. At least one of their children, their favourite one, was bringing them a better life. As they rode on his ferrari, they felt an immense hope for a better life. The previous worry for the certain other, was shoved to the back of their mind. It was like she never in existence in their mental dictionary. The life of hedonism awaits them. Even the smile on Mai's, was shamelessly mocking at the plight of her sister's. What she didnt know that such material happiness was shortlived and it was far from her to claim.

*****
Back in U.S., Ryosuke sat alone in a pub, drowned in deep thoughts and alcohol. Binge drinking is prohibited for his age, but the culture here promotes more freedom. He drank cups after cups as his head pounded immensely with every echo of Mizuo's assertion. His mind was in a mess, so much that even the alcohol did not get him drunk enough to numb that mess.

"Are we really that different? Am i yearning for Mizuo instead?" Ryosuke hit his head to distract himself from the growing pain at the back of his brain, but none of it worked. It wasn't just his head, but his heart too that felt immensely battered and torn. He was surer than sure that the aching heart was for Mirai. He felt like he betrayed her, hurt her with the filth of theirs. He had tainted her purity, and he hoped to protect her innocence, yet he failed, allowing her own innocence to break her. Were they not suited for each other, before they even started? Were these all signs that blatantly stood out to warn them before they are all hurt. It wasn't himself that he cared, it was her feelings he was more concerned. His fingers hovered around her number, wanting to check on her, if everything was fine after that call. Such worries did not occur to him that they were all out of his love for her.

"Hey sir, we are closing" a waiter came over and said casually in english. He, in a unclear mind, took offence and answered irritatedly, "shut up" in his limited English. The waiter was taken aback, and other customers around came to the waiter's aid. He was Asian, and the ostracising became obvious. Ryosuke realised he was not in the position to cause trouble in a foreign land, he felt restrained, his freedom stripped. He stumbled slightly then wobbled his way onto the streets, alone. His urge grew stronger to hear from her, a sense of assurance he hopes to seek. The fingers did not hesitate this time. Neither did the other side. At this time, Mirai was alone in Hiro's house, since the latter is hospitalised.

Overlooking the same sky, both in darkness, but one before dawn, one night-time. Ryosuke spoke first, in a tone that's filled with uncertainty. "Mirai... You there?"

"...yes," she hesitated.

"I don't know what else to say but sorry. If i told you nothing happened that night between us, and it was merely lying beside each other to keep the other accompanied because the tornado scared her, would you believe?"

There was a pause, a rather long one of a few seconds. Ryosuke expected this. He laughed sarcastically, "who am I kidding, no one believes this if it comes out of my mouth"

"Are you drunk, Ryosuke?" Her petite voice channeled through the phone into his ears. His tears welled up when he was suddenly struck by that immense loneliness that engulfed him in despair. Her voice never failed to make him unmask his true self. He could never hide from her. "Don't drink. It's not good for your body" she added.

"Don't mind me. I'm okay. I don't deserve your good words and concern. I'm just a heartbreaker as Chinen, Hiro and the rest have named me"

"... I believe you. I was disappointed, jealous, angry initially, but now that i hear from you, I'm thankful for your explanation."

"Heh? How could you trust me with my atrocious track records"

"I must be significant enough in your heart to warrant your worries about how i see you. You bothered to explain to me to unravel the misunderstanding, didn't you. That is good enough for me. Besides, who i am to be jealous. We aren't even..."

He interrupted, "we are. I'm not waiting 2 years to start."

"That isn't the confidence Ryosuke showed to me on the day he left. He sounded dependable then. Now, you sound uncertain."

"I don't want to lose you."

"You want to secure me first so that if you have decided so, I'll be here. At the same time, you keep your options open. Ryosuke, i think you ain't sure what you want anymore."

"I don't even know who i am anymore. I just being who others want me to be. When I just wanna do something for others, i mess up. You're right, I don't even know what i want. I just wanna secure everything and I'm struggling. I am really lost, Mirai," Ryosuke collapsed onto a bench nearby, his tears finally rolled out. Mirai was not ignorant, she could hear his despair and confusion. "I promise myself that i would become a stronger person in this 2 years, instead I saw the weakest side of myself."

"Ryosuke, that's because you have too much things on your mind. You need to focus and do one thing at a time. Do it well so that no one could look down on you. Everyone in this world doesn't have the luxury of things working the way they want it to be. We always tend to end up doing what we dislike, or lead the life we don't find interest in. It's the way we tackle these that make life much more beautiful. Once you are done with completing your task at hand, you can go on to do what you like with your head held high."

"Mirai, you really think this will work?"

"Yes. I do. Put everything else away from your congested brain. Set your heart to task. In order to do all these, let's not contact each other anymore until we meet again."

"Is it not because you have found another person that you want to break all contacts?" a spur of paranoia hits Ryosuke as this request came abruptly, though he did begin to believe that what she said about his overloading thoughts are draining him mentally.

"No. Definitely not. I've risked everything for this..." She agitatedly blurted out. He heard it but he took it in the figurative sense and did not sense anything amiss in her statement.

"What I mean is that I've liked you for such long time, never believing i could talk to you face to face, let alone even have a chance to really be with you. So another 2 years of waiting, would not have made much of a difference for me. I can wait (though your child would have come to this world by the time you come back)"

"I'll miss you. There are moments like this. It sounds ridiculous coming from me, i know, unbelievable, and probably what playboys like me would say, but I swear I'm not saying this to make you happy. It's real"

"Ryosuke..." Her heart cuddles in his heartfelt confessions. Frankly it did sound far fetched that she could has such impact on him when she was for a long time, been invisible. If she said she wouldn't miss him, or wouldn't constantly think of him, yearn for his voice, she would be lying. In fact, she hasn't been away from him, not in such distance, since she had been watching him from afar in school and outside. But cutting contact seems the only thing to do that can stop themselves from hurting others or even themselves. She didn't want her paranoia to cause a ruckus in his life nor hers, or worst become a nuisance. "You'll be able to deal with it. I haven't been part of your life until last year, so live the way you had before i came into your life. Perhaps, this distance can help you to consolidate your thoughts and figure out what you really wanted. Whatever the outcome is 2 years later, i am fine (lie. There'll be one more addition to their lives that will tie them ever closer to each other)"

"Mirai... 2 years from now. This day, we will meet back at school okay. 10PM. Promise?."

"I promise," she said without hesitation, holding her ring by her heart and saying the 2 words with all her hopes. He sounded delighted too. In the last minutes of the final call, he sent her heart racing once more, "this time, I prefer we stay on the line. It's 2 years of not hearing from you, not reaching you even if i want to, so i need to make this night more lasting."

"Did you really not do it with her last night?" She asked abruptly again.

"Heh?!"

"I'm kidding..." She laughed, then added, "cheer up. You sound so moody."

"I am. Anyway, you realised how much you have opened up since the first time we met? You were barely audible then, mumbling whenever you speak to me. Eyes largely distracted."

"Have i changed?"

"Face-to-face, I don't know. But your voice sounded much more daring, cheerful, less reserved. That's a good change, in case you're wondering."

She giggled at his compliments. Ryosuke did hear how that giggle seemed forced, and hoped he wasn't being over paranoid. 

"You're okay back home right? There's nothing bothering you, am i right?"

"What can there be. It's the same old me with a more than average life"

"Average is not exactly a bad thing. Anyway, now that we won't be contacting each other anymore, i hope you take good care of yourself. Go to Umika and Chinen if you feel the load upon you getting too heavy. Don't hide it to yourselves, i know you're capable of that."

"Stop preaching like a old person"

"See you are being rude, which i never remembered from a girl who's constantly shy"

"Baka" she remarked and they broke out in the heartiest laughter than threw behind all the tears shed. 

"Hold on..." He said, then there was radio silence for a while. 

Beep.

"Heh?!" Mirai was surprised to see a photo message, and when she opened it, she saw Ryosuke, smiling gorgeously into her phone. His hair has been dyed blonde, and it fell onto his forehead nicely, he wore a white long sleeves top and a black pants. He gave a cool, seductive pose into his camera and was proud of it. "Present for you. Like it ?"

Mirai couldn't blatantly reply her exploding infatuation that ignited because of the photo but could do with a bit more teasing, "You look seriously drunk?"

"Hey. Baka... I'm just adding natural blush... Your turn? See how better you look."

"I am not pretty at all."

"The photo isn't for anyone else but me. I find you pretty, so that's the only thing that matters."

He is demanding, but Mirai wasn't irritated.  Instead, she was blushing badly. And it doesn't help when he continued to , "It's time to snap a photo now in your full blush."

She sent a photo, and the conversation lasted the night. A precious one indeed. While she did not say a word on the adversity she's facing, neither did she let slip the word about her pregnancy, she sought the comfort from his sweet voice and his determination to live his dream. She finds in him the will to do what he wants despite the social norms that glamourises some jobs over others. He got upset with himself, when he had to use his face to earn a living, smiling and acting the way others want him to. That to her, is the sincere attitude of someone who cares about his own life and not like what others assert, a lazy, aimless guy. He has a bigger dream, a higher regard for dignity than anyone.

The night's call, the last one for 2 years ended on a high note, minus the unbearable goodbyes and solemn tears of farewell. Or at least she thought so. When the phone disengaged, she knew his number would change and there'll be no way to contact him anymore till they meet again. Their love was filled with uncertainty, cause it never start like how others did, it was never as strong as others. Loving a casanova, that is expected. If they could stand the test of time and space, she is certain there'll be a happily ever after. In fact, she has the conviction that their love will prevail. Cause the truth is, like everyone else had pointed, he has treated her different. Much different from his other girlfriends. She looked upon the stars and hoped, sincerely.

"Till we meet again, Ryosuke"